Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hypno06
    PE/Shoe Bag patterns
    • 12th Feb 07, 11:06 AM
    PE/Shoe Bag patterns 12th Feb 07 at 11:06 AM
    Good Morning all, I hope you are all well and enjoying half term so far.

I have quite a few young nieces and nephews and friends with young children so thought I could make them personalised PE/shoe bags for their birthdays this year.

In the past I have done Santa Sacks with pillow cases but of course they did not need a pattern.

Do any of you nice OSers know of any free good PE/shoe bag patterns that I could access on the internet - I really want to make them lined, and different shapes or something that makes them look really individual and expensive (although of course I will be looking for remnants to make them with!)

All help gratefully received.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
Page 1
  • Bambywamby
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:18 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 1:18 PM
    This is the nearest I could find.

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/Travel-Shoe-bags.pdf

Good luck x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • dolly day dream
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:20 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:20 PM
    Use an easily identifiable fabric and then embroider their name on it as big as you can. As a primary school teacher one of my biggest headaches is when there are 35 identical pe bags and then someone puts their one back on the wrong peg. The wrong bag then gets taken home leading to 'lost' pe kits.

Keep it simple but try to avoid what everyone else has and your nephews and nieces will love you for it. BTW my children used their home made PE bags all through their school career.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • dolly day dream
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:21 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:21 PM
    Forgot to say use the first pattern on Bambywamby's site
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
    • jrrowleyws
    • By jrrowleyws 12th Feb 07, 2:25 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    jrrowleyws
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:25 PM
    • 12th Feb 07, 2:25 PM
    Surely you dont need a pattern??

Make your shapes on newspaper as its going to be a bag, both sides will be identical and only mabe you want to put sides on it to make it slightly bigger. Cut them out, sew together, the lining will be the same but smaller then you just need to add a drawstring or zip.

This way lets you make the shape you want, and theres no need for a pattern.
  • hypno06
    • 13th Feb 07, 7:41 AM
    • 13th Feb 07, 7:41 AM
    Surely you dont need a pattern??

Make your shapes on newspaper as its going to be a bag, both sides will be identical and only mabe you want to put sides on it to make it slightly bigger. Cut them out, sew together, the lining will be the same but smaller then you just need to add a drawstring or zip.

This way lets you make the shape you want, and theres no need for a pattern.
    by jrrowleyws
    It is many many years since I did something "off the top of my head" and whilst I can probably work without a pattern, I would prefer for my first couple to have that safety net of a pattern so that I do not waste any material. And a zip!! Well, I have not put a zip in anything for about a million years so will have to stick to the drawstring idea!

I would hate to do this in order to make fab and cheap pressies only to find that I end up with a false economy or naff pe bags!!

Thank you everyone for your help, will hunt for some suitable material over the next few days and will let you know how I get on.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 13th Feb 07, 8:10 AM
    • 3,068 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    • 13th Feb 07, 8:10 AM
    • 13th Feb 07, 8:10 AM
    I made my kids ones when they started primary, and they lasted till they left! I just used a rectangle of material folded in half, hemmed down both sides. Then turn over the top and hem all round. Thread cord or alastic through, and voila! Done. I used very distinctive material (an old dress from a charity shop) so hey could find it easily.
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• domestic goddess
    • By domestic goddess 13th Feb 07, 9:38 AM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 2,266 Thanks
    domestic goddess
    • 13th Feb 07, 9:38 AM
    • 13th Feb 07, 9:38 AM
    I made my kids ones when they started primary, and they lasted till they left! I just used a rectangle of material folded in half, hemmed down both sides. Then turn over the top and hem all round. Thread cord or alastic through, and voila! Done. I used very distinctive material (an old dress from a charity shop) so hey could find it easily.
    by hilstep2000
    Thats exactly what I did aswell. I made two in about half an hour and I am useless at sewing so it cant be that hard.
    Learning to live a more frugal lifestyle with my family
  • troll35
    • 13th Feb 07, 10:43 AM
    • 13th Feb 07, 10:43 AM
    I made ours the same way, using a plain fabric, but we used fabric paint to personalise them with their name and other embellishments.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
  • moanin'minnie
    found this link maybe this could help!
    http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1246
    or this
    http://www.craftideas.info/html/shoe_bag.html
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 13th Feb 07, 6:21 PM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    Hi Hypno06, great idea.

Might be as well to check if any of the children's schools specify a regulation colour.
    You could possibly put a strip of contrasting fabric on those, just to make them personal. :confused:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • wanting2save
    I have just made a PE bag for my daughter with her name on it as she has just started Nursery. The material came courtesy of the lovely Squeaky and is nice purple and turquoise stripes (old curtains) so easy to spot and i cant imagine anyone else having a similar one.

If i can get a photo of it i will post it later as i have to say i am pretty chuffed (in fact i have made an identical one for DD2 ready for school and she is only just 2... a bit eager haha!)
  • Simba_25
    What a great ldea! My lad is always loosing his bag as 2 others have the same one as him! Might see if i can get some Power Ranger fabric (his fave) and make him one

Would love to see a pic if you can get one though wanting2save

thank you!
  • hypno06
    Thank you to everyone who has given ideas. I have tried to click on everyone's "thanks" button but some of them do not seem to have worked!

So, if it doesn't show as "thanks" please don't be offended - technical hitch only!!
  • grannybroon
    Not fully read the thread so maybe duplicating. I used to make a drawstring bag and then cut out a recognisable shape (star, moon , or something else) from a scrap of material and sew on bag. Other alternative is to embroider name on in daisy stich which is very easy to do. Trace out pattern with pen first and just follow the lines!

Hope this helps.

GB
  • bellsbells
    I made cloth bags last summer for 9 children - I used bright coloured cotton strips to make a rainbow pattern for the outside layer, then used an old plain duvet for the lining. I personalised them by putting their initials on the front. To do that I got two colours of felt, cut a nice big chunky letter out in one colour then stitched it to a rectangle of the other colour as a contrast. This was then sewn to the bag. It was finished with a drawstring. The best thing was that I made these for Christmas - all the kids presents sorted by September, and for no more than about £10 total

DFW nerd no = 281 (graduate)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

1,123Users online

Martin's Twitter