IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PE/Shoe Bag patterns
Views: 10,118
# 1
hypno06
Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default PE/Shoe Bag patterns

Good Morning all, I hope you are all well and enjoying half term so far.

I have quite a few young nieces and nephews and friends with young children so thought I could make them personalised PE/shoe bags for their birthdays this year.

In the past I have done Santa Sacks with pillow cases but of course they did not need a pattern.

Do any of you nice OSers know of any free good PE/shoe bag patterns that I could access on the internet - I really want to make them lined, and different shapes or something that makes them look really individual and expensive (although of course I will be looking for remnants to make them with!)

All help gratefully received.
Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Bambywamby
Old 12-02-2007, 1:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is the nearest I could find.

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/Travel-Shoe-bags.pdf

Good luck x

~ Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~ MARK TWAIN
The Following User Says Thank You to Bambywamby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dolly day dream
Old 12-02-2007, 2:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to dolly day dream

Use an easily identifiable fabric and then embroider their name on it as big as you can. As a primary school teacher one of my biggest headaches is when there are 35 identical pe bags and then someone puts their one back on the wrong peg. The wrong bag then gets taken home leading to 'lost' pe kits.

Keep it simple but try to avoid what everyone else has and your nephews and nieces will love you for it. BTW my children used their home made PE bags all through their school career.
True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
The Following User Says Thank You to dolly day dream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dolly day dream
Old 12-02-2007, 2:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to dolly day dream

Forgot to say use the first pattern on Bambywamby's site
True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
The Following User Says Thank You to dolly day dream For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jrrowleyws
Old 12-02-2007, 2:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Surely you dont need a pattern??

Make your shapes on newspaper as its going to be a bag, both sides will be identical and only mabe you want to put sides on it to make it slightly bigger. Cut them out, sew together, the lining will be the same but smaller then you just need to add a drawstring or zip.

This way lets you make the shape you want, and theres no need for a pattern.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrrowleyws For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
hypno06
Old 13-02-2007, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrowleyws
Surely you dont need a pattern??

Make your shapes on newspaper as its going to be a bag, both sides will be identical and only mabe you want to put sides on it to make it slightly bigger. Cut them out, sew together, the lining will be the same but smaller then you just need to add a drawstring or zip.

This way lets you make the shape you want, and theres no need for a pattern.
It is many many years since I did something "off the top of my head" and whilst I can probably work without a pattern, I would prefer for my first couple to have that safety net of a pattern so that I do not waste any material. And a zip!! Well, I have not put a zip in anything for about a million years so will have to stick to the drawstring idea!

I would hate to do this in order to make fab and cheap pressies only to find that I end up with a false economy or naff pe bags!!

Thank you everyone for your help, will hunt for some suitable material over the next few days and will let you know how I get on.
Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
# 7
hilstep2000
Old 13-02-2007, 8:10 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I made my kids ones when they started primary, and they lasted till they left! I just used a rectangle of material folded in half, hemmed down both sides. Then turn over the top and hem all round. Thread cord or alastic through, and voila! Done. I used very distinctive material (an old dress from a charity shop) so hey could find it easily.
I Believe in saving money!!!
A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilstep2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
domestic goddess
Old 13-02-2007, 9:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilstep2000
I made my kids ones when they started primary, and they lasted till they left! I just used a rectangle of material folded in half, hemmed down both sides. Then turn over the top and hem all round. Thread cord or alastic through, and voila! Done. I used very distinctive material (an old dress from a charity shop) so hey could find it easily.
Thats exactly what I did aswell. I made two in about half an hour and I am useless at sewing so it cant be that hard.
Learning to live a more frugal lifestyle with my family
The Following User Says Thank You to domestic goddess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
troll35
Old 13-02-2007, 10:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I made ours the same way, using a plain fabric, but we used fabric paint to personalise them with their name and other embellishments.
I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
The Following User Says Thank You to troll35 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
moanin'minnie
Old 13-02-2007, 5:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

found this link maybe this could help!
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...id=channel1246
or this
http://www.craftideas.info/html/shoe_bag.html
The Following User Says Thank You to moanin'minnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
whatatwit
Old 13-02-2007, 6:21 PM

Hi Hypno06, great idea.

Might be as well to check if any of the children's schools specify a regulation colour.
You could possibly put a strip of contrasting fabric on those, just to make them personal. :confused:
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
The Following User Says Thank You to whatatwit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
wanting2save
Old 13-02-2007, 7:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have just made a PE bag for my daughter with her name on it as she has just started Nursery. The material came courtesy of the lovely Squeaky and is nice purple and turquoise stripes (old curtains) so easy to spot and i cant imagine anyone else having a similar one.

If i can get a photo of it i will post it later as i have to say i am pretty chuffed (in fact i have made an identical one for DD2 ready for school and she is only just 2... a bit eager haha!)
The Following User Says Thank You to wanting2save For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Simba_25
Old 13-02-2007, 7:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What a great ldea! My lad is always loosing his bag as 2 others have the same one as him! Might see if i can get some Power Ranger fabric (his fave) and make him one

Would love to see a pic if you can get one though wanting2save

thank you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simba_25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
hypno06
Old 13-02-2007, 8:05 PM

Thank you to everyone who has given ideas. I have tried to click on everyone's "thanks" button but some of them do not seem to have worked!

So, if it doesn't show as "thanks" please don't be offended - technical hitch only!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypno06 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
grannybroon
Old 13-02-2007, 9:15 PM

Not fully read the thread so maybe duplicating. I used to make a drawstring bag and then cut out a recognisable shape (star, moon , or something else) from a scrap of material and sew on bag. Other alternative is to embroider name on in daisy stich which is very easy to do. Trace out pattern with pen first and just follow the lines!

Hope this helps.

GB
The Following User Says Thank You to grannybroon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
bellsbells
Old 13-02-2007, 9:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I made cloth bags last summer for 9 children - I used bright coloured cotton strips to make a rainbow pattern for the outside layer, then used an old plain duvet for the lining. I personalised them by putting their initials on the front. To do that I got two colours of felt, cut a nice big chunky letter out in one colour then stitched it to a rectangle of the other colour as a contrast. This was then sewn to the bag. It was finished with a drawstring. The best thing was that I made these for Christmas - all the kids presents sorted by September, and for no more than about 10 total

DFW nerd no = 281 (graduate)

The Following User Says Thank You to bellsbells For This Useful Post: Show me >>