Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    JodyBPM
    part time workers and sickness trigger points
    • 20th Jan 12, 11:05 AM
    part time workers and sickness trigger points 20th Jan 12 at 11:05 AM
    I know there are a few Hr professionals on here, so I just wondered if someone could give me a view on how part time workers should be treated when there are sickness trigger points.

The company I work for has fairly strict, but reasonable IMO trigger points of 3 periods of absence or 7 days sick in any rolling 12 month period.

I work part-time, 0.5 ft, 3 days one week, 2 the next. I had one day of sick with a vomiting bug on Monday, my first day off in the rolling year, so obviously not a problem, nor hitting any triggers. However, as part as my return to work interview, it was pointed out to me that the triggers are pro-rata'd (and I checked in the policy & this is correct), so therefore any other periods of sickness will hit the trigger point, as my triggers stand at 1.5 episodes and 3.5 days. Effectively this means that I cannot have a single day of sick for the next 12 months without hitting the sickness process.

I'm not necessarily worried about the process itself, my sick record is great, and my manager knows this, and I know that it's effectively just a formality in this case. However, our company policy is to only give payrises to those who perform at an "excellent" in their appraisal, and managers are unable to give "excellents" to anyone who is under the sickness review process. So effectively, another days sickness in 12 months means that I cannot get an annual pay rise.

My question is, is it really fair and standard practice to pro-rata trigger points for part time staff? It feels to me that I am disadvantaged as a part timer as I cannot choose which days I fall sick on! A full timer can be sick 3 times throughout the year, and not hit the process, but I could fall sick only 2 times before hitting the process and its entirely random as to which day the sickness will fall on, i cannot control whether it is a working day or not. So effectively, my triggers are harsher than a full time worker (I actually understand the no of days being pro-rata'd, its the incidences which seem unfair to me)

I don't want to wait until I do possibly hit a trigger to potentially raise this as an issue, so would quite like to raise it with HR as a query. Is this standard practice?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

1,117Users online

Martin's Twitter