Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    PaulS43
    How do I get a Euro bank account?
    • 19th Jan 12, 10:13 AM
    How do I get a Euro bank account? 19th Jan 12 at 10:13 AM
    Apologies if this isn't in the right place to the mods - I couldn't find an obvious natural home for it).

Right I am self employed. I get paid (currently) by 3 different British companies. All the money is in sterling. It comes into my UK HSBC account.

I have been asked whether or not I want to work for a Dutch company. The thing is they will only pay in Euros. Invoicing their firm in Euros isn't a problem but how can I recive the money?

HSBC haven't yet answered my email to ask them so can anyone else tell me where I can go to set up a Euro bank account and if I have a choice, where I will get the best deal in running it and withdrawing my money in sterling.

The contract (if I take it) will pay exactly 150 a week.

Any advice welcome
Page 12
    • douglasangus
    • By douglasangus 16th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    douglasangus
    not the DKB
    DKB now only accepting addresses in German, Austria and Switzerland
    • douglasangus
    • By douglasangus 16th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    douglasangus
    Dkb
    Now not accepting addresses other than Germany, Austria and Switzerland
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 16th Sep 17, 11:47 AM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    glider3560
    DKB now only accepting addresses in German, Austria and Switzerland
    Originally posted by douglasangus
    Does that comply with the EU regulations?

Or am I being too British here (i.e. assuming countries other than us will actually enforce the rules)?

• Minunjay
    • By Minunjay 18th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Minunjay
    Does that comply with the EU regulations?
    Originally posted by glider3560
    No, it certainly doesn't - talk to your MEP while you still have one.
    Too new here to post you a proper link, but see europa.eu youreurope citizens consumers financial-products-and-services bank-accounts-eu index_en.htm - or lookup Directive 2014/92/EU
    • colsten
    • By colsten 18th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 7,370 Thanks
    colsten
    Now not accepting addresses other than Germany, Austria and Switzerland
    Originally posted by douglasangus
    I don't believe that is true. The application form most definitely takes other addresses, too.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Sep 17, 12:53 AM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    eDicky
    I don't believe that is true. The application form most definitely takes other addresses, too.
    Originally posted by colsten
    When I tried to sign up with DKB a couple of years ago, my UK address and everything else was entered and accepted, but on finally submitting the application the message appeared "Sorry, we only accept applications from residents of Germany, Austria and Switzerland". It would be useful to know if this is no longer the case.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 19th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 7,370 Thanks
    colsten
    When I tried to sign up with DKB a couple of years ago, my UK address and everything else was entered and accepted, but on finally submitting the application the message appeared "Sorry, we only accept applications from residents of Germany, Austria and Switzerland". It would be useful to know if this is no longer the case.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    I know this used to be the case, and I believe it has changed. I have opened a DKB account in April this year, and the only address I have is my UK address.

That said, there are potential alternatives such as the Transferwise Borderless account. One of the advantages of that account is that you don't need to be fluent in German to open and operate the account. It doesn't have a debit card though.
    • john100
    • By john100 20th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    john100
    Hi,
    Has anyone tried to use the Ferratum Bank current accounts? I can't post a link to it here apparently.
    This looks too good to be true, considering I've been struggling to open a current account in Dublin (where I am purchasing a buy-to-let), and am getting fobbed off with various lame excuses. Any advice welcomed!
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 21st Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    Revolut
    Best suggestion is Revolut.

https://www.revolut.com/

As you can pay Euros into the account from an employer who pays in euros.

The revolut EU account is based in Lithuiana. Under Barclays.

No credit checks either.

And you can receive a debit card with contactless and have direct debits etc!
    • Minunjay
    • By Minunjay 21st Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Minunjay
    Hi,
    Has anyone tried to use the Ferratum Bank current accounts?
    This looks too good to be true, considering I've been struggling to open a current account in Dublin
    Originally posted by john100
    No, but KBC Ireland accept non-residents. Otherwise, as mentioned above, Revolut is very good and quick to set up. I've got both.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,363Posts Today

6,930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin