Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    PaulS43
    How do I get a Euro bank account?
    • 19th Jan 12, 10:13 AM
    How do I get a Euro bank account? 19th Jan 12 at 10:13 AM
    Apologies if this isn't in the right place to the mods - I couldn't find an obvious natural home for it).

Right I am self employed. I get paid (currently) by 3 different British companies. All the money is in sterling. It comes into my UK HSBC account.

I have been asked whether or not I want to work for a Dutch company. The thing is they will only pay in Euros. Invoicing their firm in Euros isn't a problem but how can I recive the money?

HSBC haven't yet answered my email to ask them so can anyone else tell me where I can go to set up a Euro bank account and if I have a choice, where I will get the best deal in running it and withdrawing my money in sterling.

The contract (if I take it) will pay exactly 150 a week.

Any advice welcome
Page 11
    • iDragon
    • By iDragon 11th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    iDragon
    I did it entirely by printing and filling that form, then scanning and emailing it in to account opening, never sent any physical post.
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 11th May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Chapuys
    Did you8 apply using mobile apps or filling the form and send it by post offered in thi slink ?

https://www.kbc.ie/KBC/media/Current-Account-PDFs/Basic-Current-Account-Form-13092016.pdf
    Originally posted by adindas
    I printed off the basic bank account application, wrote it out then scanned it back into my computer. I then sent it as well as scans for my passport, driving license and 3 different bank statements to salesenquiries@kbc.ie .

You cannot apply via the app for a basic account.
    Last edited by Chapuys; 11-05-2017 at 7:09 PM.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 15th May 17, 7:42 PM
    • 8,678 Posts
    • 7,323 Thanks
    colsten
    I am afraid, I can't remember the details of my application. I definitely used my UK address as that's the only address I have, and have had, for about the last 30 years. I have a german passport though, perhaps that made the difference. Sounds you might be better off trying KBC, or perhaps Britline.
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 16th May 17, 8:49 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Chapuys
    What about the basic current account. is there any info on their website about this?
    https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account/basic

The KBC Basic Current Account offers customers who currently do not have a current account the essential day to day banking features. With your Basic Current Account, you can receive your income, pay your bills and transfer money.

Free ATM & Cheque lodgement fees
    No quarterly maintenance fees
    Free Contactless Debit Card purchases & Cashback*
    Free Direct Debits and Standing Orders
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 17th May 17, 7:34 AM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    glider3560
    What about using your debit card to withdraw cash from cash machine in euro zone outside Ireland. Is there any charge for it ??
    No charge for withdrawing in Euros.

• iDragon
    • By iDragon 19th May 17, 8:36 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    iDragon
    Other than initially asking for me to send in a different proof of address, I didn't hear anything till I received opening papers in post. And that took about two or so weeks I suppose.
    • jools182
    • By jools182 31st May 17, 11:17 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    jools182
    I have just tried applying for an account with DKB online and was refused because I am not in Germany. I thought you could open these without being in Germany?
    I need to open a euro account within the EU, as we are leaving
    I will be working in Malta for some time, possibly permanently and I don't want my main account to be in Malta as there is a strange law that allows landlords to take money without authorisation.
    Citibank want you to have at least 150,000 balance (never going to happen!)
    Any other suggestions?
    • mjdh1957
    • By mjdh1957 31st May 17, 12:54 PM
    • 604 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    mjdh1957
    I went with KBC in Ireland. www.kbc.ie

Non-resident and able to open the account online by uploading scanned documents. I'm intending to move to Ireland later this year so currently transferring money over

Mortgage-Free since 27 May 2011.
    Retired in 2015.

• evangelos
    • By evangelos 1st Jun 17, 5:12 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    evangelos
    TransferWise Borderless account
    I think they launched it a week ago.

In 2 minutes i opened an account in USD, one in EUros and one in GBP. Great for freelancers and everyone in this time and age You will get proper IBANs, UK sort codes, account numbers etc

The money is not protected by the FSCS so bear this in mind.

It costs only 50p to move the money out to a "normal" bank...
    • odalay
    • By odalay 5th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    odalay
    KBC account
    Hi Chapuys, interesting what you've posted about the KBC account - please could you or anyone offer some advice on which account would be best to apply for? The Basic Bank account or the Normal Current Account with KBC?

I assume the basic account will be fine and its free. Would there be any advantage to opening the normal current account with the quarterly fee of 6euros?

I will be out in France alot in the coming months so would be using it out there.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
    • iDragon
    • By iDragon 5th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    iDragon
    no real advantage that I can see, but if enough cash goes through account basic account gets converted to regular at end of year anyway. ( about 19k )
    • odalay
    • By odalay 5th Jun 17, 11:25 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    odalay
    Aha ok great thanks for the info - I'll go for the Basic account then. Cheers
    • Andrhil
    • By Andrhil 7th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andrhil
    Exit from Citi bank
    Hi, I've just been tracking the years of info held on this thread and it appears to be coming to a useful conclusion, thanks for this. For information I have had a Citibank Euro savings account for many years, with a bank card that allows me free access to ATMs across europe. In the last couple of weeks, and possibly due to the reorganisation within Citi bank, as they seemed to have changed from a UK to European based organisation, I have been told to close the account in the next month or so. If I don't give them an account to move it to (another bank) they will just send me a euro cheque and foreclose it. Anyone any ideas why they are doing this? The account has over 10k Euros in it, but I feel that might not be enough for what appears to be Citi moving to a different type of wealth bank
    Thanks.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    eDicky
    Anyone any ideas why they are doing this?
    Originally posted by Andrhil
    Presumably Citibank UK are no longer interested in clients who are not 'high net worth'. Best to get your new euro account asap if you really need one, don't wait for the cheque. If Citibank charge for a transfer to a eurozone bank you can use Revolut to avoid it, or to convert to pounds at interbank rate and withdraw.
    • shaunandelly
    • By shaunandelly 25th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    shaunandelly
    just opened a non resident account in Ireland from UK.( BOI) all over the phone with scanned and certified poa"s and passport. all in about 3 days for my iban and bic to come through.cards etc in the post.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 8th Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    adindas
    I printed off the basic bank account application, wrote it out then scanned it back into my computer. I then sent it as well as scans for my passport, driving license and 3 different bank statements to salesenquiries@kbc.ie .

You cannot apply via the app for a basic account.
    Originally posted by Chapuys
    I did it entirely by printing and filling that form, then scanning and emailing it in to account opening, never sent any physical post.
    Originally posted by iDragon
    I applied abut the middle of May. I did exactly like the two previous posters e.g by email and attachment. As I have not received decision after few weeks I sent email in two occasions, got email email to supply my phone number. I got a miss call from them and they never call back so I called them back.

Been told "You can not apply by email" so I will need to redo it again by post. I wonder those who recently apply with KBC encounter the same experience with me.
    Last edited by adindas; 08-07-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 8th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    adindas
    just opened a non resident account in Ireland from UK.( BOI) all over the phone with scanned and certified poa"s and passport. all in about 3 days for my iban and bic to come through.cards etc in the post.
    Originally posted by shaunandelly
    Did you open an account with Bank of Ireland (BOI) or with KBC Ireland?

If with BOI I wonder if you have a link explaining this and the phone number to contact ?? Thanks

Amended:
    Got info from this link
    https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/open-non-resident-account/

"You must get a solicitor or police officer to certify your identity document and household bill. If your household bill is not in English, you must translate it using a company offering this service". Probably arounf 20 before you even know whether you will get it.

For those who wanted to proceed. Search in this forum regarding BOI Customer service just in this MSE alone.
    Last edited by adindas; 10-07-2017 at 2:39 PM.
    • fosterae
    • By fosterae 22nd Aug 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    fosterae
    BOI Post Brexit
    If a UK resident applies to BOI for a EURO account, will you be asked to close it post brexit?
    • cerenna
    • By cerenna 24th Aug 17, 11:02 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cerenna
    Euro CASH
    Hello,

Not sure if im using this site correctly, but I am getting married next week in Ireland.
    My H2B and I live in the UK.
    We will no doubt get Euro Cash as gifts next week.
    So are we better to lodge the cash into my Euro Irish Bank account and transfer via Currency Fair it into my GBP account?
    or
    Bring the cash back to the UK and go to our local UK Currency Bureau de Change / Currency converter for them to change it up in to GBP for us there and then?

Please let me know your thoughts
    Cerenna :-)
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 24th Aug 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,228 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    glider3560
    Hello,

Not sure if im using this site correctly, but I am getting married next week in Ireland.
    My H2B and I live in the UK.
    We will no doubt get Euro Cash as gifts next week.
    So are we better to lodge the cash into my Euro Irish Bank account and transfer via Currency Fair it into my GBP account?
    or
    Bring the cash back to the UK and go to our local UK Currency Bureau de Change / Currency converter for them to change it up in to GBP for us there and then?

Please let me know your thoughts
    Cerenna :-)
    Originally posted by cerenna
    For €100:
    Currency Fair are currently quoting 89.07.
    Transfer Wise are currently quoting 90.17.
    Post Office are currently quoting 80.65.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,494Posts Today

7,891Users online

Martin's Twitter