Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    PaulS43
    How do I get a Euro bank account?
    • 19th Jan 12, 10:13 AM
    How do I get a Euro bank account? 19th Jan 12 at 10:13 AM
    Apologies if this isn't in the right place to the mods - I couldn't find an obvious natural home for it).

Right I am self employed. I get paid (currently) by 3 different British companies. All the money is in sterling. It comes into my UK HSBC account.

I have been asked whether or not I want to work for a Dutch company. The thing is they will only pay in Euros. Invoicing their firm in Euros isn't a problem but how can I recive the money?

HSBC haven't yet answered my email to ask them so can anyone else tell me where I can go to set up a Euro bank account and if I have a choice, where I will get the best deal in running it and withdrawing my money in sterling.

The contract (if I take it) will pay exactly 150 a week.

Any advice welcome
Page 11
    • iDragon
    • By iDragon 11th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    iDragon
    I did it entirely by printing and filling that form, then scanning and emailing it in to account opening, never sent any physical post.
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 11th May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Chapuys
    Did you8 apply using mobile apps or filling the form and send it by post offered in thi slink ?

https://www.kbc.ie/KBC/media/Current-Account-PDFs/Basic-Current-Account-Form-13092016.pdf
    Originally posted by adindas
    I printed off the basic bank account application, wrote it out then scanned it back into my computer. I then sent it as well as scans for my passport, driving license and 3 different bank statements to salesenquiries@kbc.ie .

You cannot apply via the app for a basic account.
    Last edited by Chapuys; 11-05-2017 at 7:09 PM.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 15th May 17, 7:42 PM
    • 8,504 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    colsten
    I am afraid, I can't remember the details of my application. I definitely used my UK address as that's the only address I have, and have had, for about the last 30 years. I have a german passport though, perhaps that made the difference. Sounds you might be better off trying KBC, or perhaps Britline.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 15th May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    adindas
    I am afraid, I can't remember the details of my application. I definitely used my UK address as that's the only address I have, and have had, for about the last 30 years. I have a german passport though, perhaps that made the difference. Sounds you might be better off trying KBC, or perhaps Britline.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Thanks for the explanation. I have applied a Bank A/C with KBC last week but I have not got the info whether it is accepted or declined.

About the Britline ? I wonder if they work similar to KBC, DKB, e.g very low balance (say EUR1) is allowed to operate the account, no monthly fee, no fee to accept transfer in euro currency from another countries, etc ?

Has anyone, from UK successfully applied for this account given there is still condtin to be met here :
    • Over 18 years of age
    • Resident in either the UK, Ireland or France
    • An existing or future French property owner, or regular visitor to France
    Thanks
    Last edited by adindas; 15-05-2017 at 9:00 PM.
    • Chapuys
    • By Chapuys 16th May 17, 8:49 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Chapuys
    What about the basic current account. is there any info on their website about this?
    https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/kbc-current-account/current-account/basic

The KBC Basic Current Account offers customers who currently do not have a current account the essential day to day banking features. With your Basic Current Account, you can receive your income, pay your bills and transfer money.

Free ATM & Cheque lodgement fees
    No quarterly maintenance fees
    Free Contactless Debit Card purchases & Cashback*
    Free Direct Debits and Standing Orders
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 17th May 17, 7:34 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 1,916 Thanks
    glider3560
    What about using your debit card to withdraw cash from cash machine in euro zone outside Ireland. Is there any charge for it ??
    No charge for withdrawing in Euros.

• iDragon
    • By iDragon 19th May 17, 8:36 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    iDragon
    Other than initially asking for me to send in a different proof of address, I didn't hear anything till I received opening papers in post. And that took about two or so weeks I suppose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,508Posts Today

6,755Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin