Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Removing scratches from stainless steel cooker ho... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Removing scratches from stainless steel cooker hood
Views: 2,911
# 1
Cheeselady
Old 17-01-2012, 9:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Removing scratches from stainless steel cooker hood

The house we are renovating to live in has a cooker hood which I'm hoping to use as part of the new kitchen, to save a bit on costs, but it does have some light scratches around the small control buttons, looks like they have used a brillo pad or something to clean it in the past.

Any ideas for removing these scratches, it's only in a smallish area so guess I could live with it but prefer not to!

Oh and also any tips on how to clean the filters as they are gruesome.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Leif
Old 17-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I use metal polish on my stainless steel espresso makers.
# 3
anotherbaldrick
Old 17-01-2012, 11:25 AM

If they are the flexible foam filters wash them in warm soapy water. If paper type buy new ones. Stainless steel is a very hard metal , metal polish will not remove scratches . You might have to buff them out with an electric drill and buffing pad with cutting paste and finally polish with metal polish. You can clean the hood with Jif cleaner and then wipe over with a smear of Johnsons baby oil.
You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! Ill tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
# 4
Mayflower10cat
Old 17-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

YEs, duraglit can be used and it might even remove the shallower scratches. The metal mesh filters, if that's what yours are like, can be put in the dishwasher. An initial soak in hot water and washing soda would help lift the worst of the grease.
# 5
bigmuffins
Old 17-01-2012, 11:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Talking

If no dishwasher, cover the metal filters and any other bits you want to degrease in a bathtub with light sprinkling of washing powder and spritz with warm water - use a spray bottle plant mister type. Leave for about an hour or so. Should scrub off very easily.

HTH

The Following User Says Thank You to bigmuffins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Antispam
Old 17-01-2012, 11:52 AM

Have you tried barkeepers friend its good for stainless steel it doesnt scratch either

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/stainless-steel
# 7
Leif
Old 17-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbaldrick View Post
Stainless steel is a very hard metal , metal polish will not remove scratches
Yes it will, especially since the OP says "it does have some light scratches". I know because I've removed scratches, as I said in my earlier post. Cough cough.
# 8
Perfectionist87
Old 28-08-2013, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default How to remove scratches from stainless steel!

Hi,
Scratches on stainless steel can look awful! But don't panic! I have a simple, cost effective solution to get rid of scratches of stainless steel.

What you need:
1. 3M Scotch Brite pads in Maroon and Grey (ultra fine)colour (You can purchase this from eBay) it costs arounds 10.99 each for a pack of 10. Make sure it is the 3M brand!

2. Vegetable Oil or Sunflower Oil.

3. Brasso Metal Polish Wadding tin.

4. Sanding Block

Instructions on how to remove scratches from stainless steel.

1. Clean surface area.
2. Look at for the grain of the steel (usually found on brushed finished stainless steel) see what direction it is going in.
3.Rub a bit of vegetable or sunflower oil on the surface.
4. Place maroon scotch brite pad on the sanding block.
5. Begin to rub the moroon pad over the scratch, along the grain in direction. Make sure rub the full surface area, and not just over the scratch itself. DO NOT RUB AGAINST THE GRAIN! IT WILL MAKE MORE SCRATCHES! HAVE STEADY HANDS!
6. Keep rubbing the maroon pads along the grain until scratch blends in. It's could take up to 15min.
7. Then place the grey pad on the sanding block, and repeat the same process.
8. Once scratches have been removed, polish with Brasso Metal polish.
9. Wipe again with a wet towel along the direction of the grain and then buff with a dry tissue paper.
10. Admirer your scratch free surface. .

For deeper scratches(the ones that catches your finger nail) use a fine grit wet and dry sand paper. Rub over the scratch, in the direction of the grain, until the surface is smooth. Then take the maroon pad and grey pads and repeat the process mentioned above.

Lastly when repairing scratches on stainless steel, you need to treat the whole surface area. For example my extractor fan had loads of scratches cause by cleaning with a green scourer(big mistake!). I had to treat the whole extractor fan, rather than one area which had the scratches. This is because you won't achieve a uniformed look if you treat just one area.

I hope this advice helps. I have tried and test it many times. My kitchen appliances looks brand new!