Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Cutting Tax > Single man / married man income tax (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Single man / married man income tax
Closed Thread
Views: 12,938
# 1
flip01
Old 17-03-2005, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Single man / married man income tax

Is there any difference between the two?

I been paying tax since I started work some 15 years ago, but have been living with common law wife and 3 kids for some 3 years, do I pay less tax? I read somewhere tax is reduced if you are married?
The Following User Says Thank You to flip01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Noozan
Old 17-03-2005, 6:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Noozan

You used to get an addtional tax allowance if you were married but this was phased out about 5 years ago. I think you only get the married couples allowance now if one of you was born before 1935.
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
# 3
WHA
Old 17-03-2005, 7:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Married

And you would have to be legally married to have qualified for the married couples allowance - "common law" has no status in taxation matters.

Instead of married couples allowances, of course, you can now claim child tax credit etc., which is worth a lot more than the married couples allowances ever was.
I am a practising accountant but my comments on these boards are for general interest only. Proper professional advice, particular to your own personal circumstances, should be sought before you take any actions.
# 4
YorkshireBoy
Old 17-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHA
Instead of married couples allowances, of course, you can now claim child tax credit etc., which is worth a lot more than the married couples allowances ever was.
Not doubting you, but is this true for all married couples? I seem to think we were worse off when CTC came in - we get approx 545/year. Or is it the "etc" bit you refer to above that "makes it worth a lot more"?

Am I wrong?

YB
# 5
dunstonh
Old 18-03-2005, 9:26 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
In can be better for some and worse for others.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 6
Noozan
Old 18-03-2005, 9:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to Noozan

I thought that when the married couples allowance was in place, ALL married couples were eligible for it through either the husband's or the wife's tax code regardless of whether they had children or not.

Obviously you can only get child tax credit if you have children and elements of child tax credit and working tax credit are means tested so not everyone is better off.
I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
# 7
fairenoughclough
Old 18-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHA
And you would have to be legally married to have qualified for the married couples allowance - "common law" has no status in taxation matters.

FYI, looking back at the history of this.

in 1994/95 the MCA was worth about 500 in today's figures for a standard rate tax payer on average earnings.
inbetween times Tory and labour governments cut it's value until
in 1999/2000 in it's last year it was worth about 225 ......................

So basically, it's back to 1995 levels, except childless couples don't get any payment.
Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
Closed Thread