Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 11th Jan 12, 11:44 PM
    • 13,646 Posts
    • 58,469 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 11th Jan 12, 11:44 PM
    • 11th Jan 12, 11:44 PM
    I've tried (and failed) to win.

When I feel like a go I use a High Street Bookmakers to bet on the outcome.

As there is 3 draws I would split my stake else too much of an outlay

http://www.49s.co.uk/IrishLotto/IrishLottoHowtoplay/tabid/88/Default.aspx
    • lollipopsarah
    • By lollipopsarah 11th Jan 12, 11:54 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    lollipopsarah
    • 11th Jan 12, 11:54 PM
    • 11th Jan 12, 11:54 PM
    I've also heard to odds to win are much better, but I don't like going into a bookies.
    x
  • FOX HOUND
    • 12th Jan 12, 1:58 AM
    • 12th Jan 12, 1:58 AM
    I've also heard to odds to win are much better, but I don't like going into a bookies.
    x
    Originally posted by lollipopsarah
    Don't be scared/shamed/embarassed/about going into a bookies.

Plenty of women in them

ok mostly hookers

JOKING
    As surely as night follows day capitalism will come crumbling down. On a mission to secure a just and ethical society.
  • LisaB85
    • 12th Jan 12, 8:10 AM
    • 12th Jan 12, 8:10 AM
    x
    Originally posted by lollipopsarah
    I've rarely gambled at all, I went to the dogs once and came away 15 up, bingo I've won a total of about 600 and the odd scratch card.

Going in to a bookies scares me! x
  • fluffnutter
    • 12th Jan 12, 9:20 AM
    • 12th Jan 12, 9:20 AM
    The Irish lottery's great! Problem is.. the winnings are all paid in the Irish Punt thing and that's about as much use as Monopoly money.

Edit that: apparently they're in the Euro now. When did that happen?? I tell you, the world moves so quickly these days! I can't keep up! The point still stands though; the Euro's worse than the Punt
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 12th Jan 12, 9:30 AM
    • 10,173 Posts
    • 22,948 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 12th Jan 12, 9:30 AM
    • 12th Jan 12, 9:30 AM
    I've only played the Irish Lottery once, when I was in Ireland actually, didn't win though I think I won on their scatchcards though. Didn't have to go into a bookies though, been in Ireland and all
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Jeff Bridges hair
    • By Jeff Bridges hair 12th Jan 12, 9:37 AM
    • 5,974 Posts
    • 7,236 Thanks
    Jeff Bridges hair
    • 12th Jan 12, 9:37 AM
    • 12th Jan 12, 9:37 AM
    The reason people win more on the Irish Lottery is because when playing in the UK the odds are a lot better because its the same as betting on a horse, in essence.

With our own lottery - you are simply picking numbers in a preoper lottery - the Irish one you are actually betting. Its a bit hard to explain but I know if you got all the numbers in the Irish lottery you wouldnt get the jackpot thats for sure
    • mj132
    • By mj132 12th Jan 12, 10:34 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    mj132
    • 12th Jan 12, 10:34 AM
    • 12th Jan 12, 10:34 AM
    I play the Irish Lottery quite regularly, I've tried other lotteries such as The Health Lottery (won 50 my first time and nothing on my second go so gave up), I also got annoyed because they kept changing the draw time!I even phoned them last week to ask what time the draw was on channel 5 and the guy told me 9.45 but I was waiting another half an hour until the draw actually came on! I've also played Euromillions and Lotto but I agree with what's being said on this thread the odds are much better in the Irish Lottery as you actually have a chance of winning something!The odds of winning the Irish Lottery jackpot are 1 in 8,145,060 where as the odds of winning the Euromillions jackpot are 1 in 76,275,360
  • SHIPSHAPE
    I've won about 2k on the Irish lottery and spent about 200 in doing so via betfred.

I haven't played the Uk lotto since about 2001, it's rubbish.
  • SHIPSHAPE
    The Irish lottery's great! Problem is.. the winnings are all paid in the Irish Punt thing and that's about as much use as Monopoly money.

Edit that: apparently they're in the Euro now.
    Originally posted by fluffnutter
    Huh?

One can bet on the Irish lotto at any UK bookies in sterling and get paid in sterling.
    • Li0nhead
    • By Li0nhead 12th Jan 12, 3:23 PM
    • 13,415 Posts
    • 28,945 Thanks
    Li0nhead
    Basically explained:

As the boomakers were not allowed to do bets in relation to the national lottery they found a loophole. Bet on the country next doors lottery.

So they started offering betting markets based upon the irish lottery draw.
    You are picking a set number of numbers between 1-6. You can only win on that amount picked. So with the National Lottery you pick 6 number but if 3 come in you still win. With bookie betting you will not. Yet you can pick 3 numbers and get a whole lot more than just a tenner.

Just nicked the odds paid from the Paddy Power site (other bookies may be different):

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_mainlottery&xgame_type=IR

from 6 numbers
    Nominate 5 numbers drawn (100000/1)
    Nominate 4 numbers drawn (6500/1)
    Nominate 3 numbers drawn (575/1)
    Nominate 2 numbers drawn (55/1)
    Nominate 1 number drawn (6/1)

So looking at it your not going to be playing for the big life changing sum like the national lottery but calculated wins.
    That said i have never done the Irish lottery it and never will. The bookies are just playing the natural odds. eg if the natural odds of getting 1 number in the Li0nheadland lotto was 5/1 the li0nbookie would offer 4/1 meaning 1 in 5 is profit.
    Here to help.
  • LisaB85
    I'm still confused! x
    • hightara
    • By hightara 12th Jan 12, 7:01 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    hightara
    my cousin won 180,000
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 12th Jan 12, 7:43 PM
    • 10,173 Posts
    • 22,948 Thanks
    Tarry
    my cousin won 180,000
    Originally posted by hightara
    That's brilliant :

What you confused about Lisa?
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Li0nhead
    • By Li0nhead 13th Jan 12, 9:08 AM
    • 13,415 Posts
    • 28,945 Thanks
    Li0nhead
    I'm still confused! x
    Originally posted by LisaB85
    Short 'idiots guide':

Go to bookies. Pick 1 to 6 numbers. Hand over money. Check the irish lottery results online after the draw. If the numbers you have selected come out you get paid at the odds of that bookmaker.
    Here to help.
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 13th Jan 12, 9:22 AM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    For reduced odds you can include the bonus ball so instead of any 3 from 6 say you can go any 3 from 7
    Have a nice day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,918Posts Today

6,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick goodbye (for now)... https://t.co/00uuzdpqAv

• Still fighting - hoping for chinks in the armour as there's a new administration https://t.co/XMYOGshhI0

• About to speak to talented teens from underprivileged backgrounds re student finance. Far more difficult to be +ve after retrospective hikes

• Follow Martin