Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Be Wise... don't go with "Be Wiser" Car Insurance!
    • 11th Jan 12, 5:27 PM
    Be Wise... don't go with "Be Wiser" Car Insurance! 11th Jan 12 at 5:27 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Car Insurance guide may help.

Back to the original post...

Evening Everyone,
    Please be aware that although Be Wiser through GoCompare looks like an amazing deal you might not be getting good value for money, I'm sure if you can be bothered to read the sorry tale below (my incredibly long letter of complaint to Be Wiser) you will indeed "be wiser" and give your hard earned cash to an Insurance Company with a better reputation.
    You have been warned and any advice would be great!
    Have a good evening.

11th January 2012

Be Wiser Insurance Ref: Wxxxxxxx/x

To Whom it May Concern,

I hope you are sitting comfortably, or may I suggest you grab a coffee before reading this letter of complaint?

I used the GoCompare website on 8th January 2012 for a Car Insurance comparison for my recently purchased Volkswagon Lupo. Be Wiser was not only the cheapest, but also offered RAC Breakdown and Legal Cover was included. As I trusted GoCompare and seeing that the breakdown was with RAC I went through the “buy me” tab to the Be Wiser website.

When I filled out the online forms on GoCompare and then the Be Wiser website I declared that I had zero no claims and that I do have a company car. I paid a 117.93 deposit and then 9 payments of 44.61. At this stage everything was going according to plan, Be Wiser website gave me a ref number and an email arrived telling me I would have my policy documents within 24hours. If not, give customer services a call.

Within the hour after receiving the email, I got a phone call from 01264 336161, the man on the phone told me he was from the Be Wiser Insurance broker and he could lower my quote, he then read out and checked all of my details, then put me on hold and hung up on me. I called back but the message told me, “our offices are shut please call Monday-Friday”.

I then two hours later received another call from 08444999417, I answered the call, then the women spoke to me briefly and hung up! I rang back and got the same “our offices are shut” message.

I did not receive my policy documents.

The following day (9/01/2012) I rung Be Wiser 5 times and received 3 calls. As you can imagine I lost 4 hours of my day. All I simply wanted was my policy documents.

I firstly called Be Wiser Customer Services and was told I needed to speak to sales and I would be transferred, they hung up on me.

I called back, and was told who I needed to speak to was not at her desk and I would receive a call back.

I received a call back at around 13:00 and then was told, “Oh sorry she’s just popped to lunch I’ll get her to give you a call in 10 minutes”. Guess what? I received no call back.

I called back an hour later and spoke to Greg, he told me that the GoCompare website and Be Wiser are, “a nightmare” and he didn’t agree with how your company, “does it’s business” He explained that he was from another part of the company and he would send me my policy documents within 10 minutes and he would ring me back within 15 minutes. I had full access to email, I then received:-

Your Reference: Wxxxxxxxxx/x [COLOR=#2a2a2a][FONT=Tahoma]
    For Instant Cover or To Discuss this Quotation
    Call Us Free On
    0800 8401941

Dear Miss xxxx,

Thank you for your enquiry for your Volkswagen Lupo.

We are pleased to confirm:

Our Quotation for your policy is 468.89.

Payment methods:

1. Full payment by Credit/Debit Card.
    2. Deposit of 118.78 followed by 9 payments of 46.68.

Schedule of Covers

Insurer Provident Insurance
    Cover Comprehensive
    Voluntary Excess 500
    Other Excess 225
    Drivers Named Drivers Only
    Use Pleasure Only
    No Claims Bonus 9 years
    RAC Cover Included
    Legal Assistance Included
    Policy Frequency 12 months

We look forward to welcoming you as a new client.

Yours Sincerely,

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

This was not what I asked for, firstly I didn’t want another quote which was different from the GoCompare quote (which I had already paid a deposit on) and suddenly I had 9 years no claims?! I had told Greg, GoCompare and the Be Wiser Insurance website I had zero no claims.

No insurance documents turned up and no call back from Greg Jackson.

I then rang back 30 minutes later, I spoke to a man called Ryan, Ryan basically said that Greg had cocked up and that there was little he could do. He gave me customer services number.

I then range customer services and spoke to Kelly, she ran through my policy details again, I explained that I had zero no claims and also the multiple phone calls and problems I had had. She was great and assured me that my policy would be sent and would be correct.

This morning (11/01/2012) I received the policy document in the post and it state that I have 9 years no claims and I need to provide proof. I called Be Wiser Customer Services at 10 am this morning to explain that I do not have 9 years no claims and I have stated it as 0 no claims on GoCompare, Be Wiser Insurance websites and verbally over the phone 4 times. I was then told that customer services could not sort this out and I needed to talk to the sales department. I was then transferred (successfully!) to the sales department.

I spoke to a lady called Gemma in sales. Gemma explained that the lady that I needed to speak to wasn’t in until 13:00 and is snowed under with work. Gemma then told me that as I had 0 no claims she would do another credit vet on me. This is the third credit Be Wiser has done, 1. The initial set up, 2. Greg when he did the quotation 3. The amendment to my no claims. I can’t help but wonder if this has negatively affected my credit score?

I expressed to Gemma that as I put zero no claims in to GoCompare and the BeWiser website, plus verbally multiple times, I didn’t see why I should pay more as my original quote of 464.64, it should be honoured. Gemma put me on hold, 5 minutes later she told me that the system had crashed and she promised to call me back to sort out the problem. Guess what? I did not receive a call back.

At 15:00 today I called back, the phone was picked up and then I was hung up on before I could even say hello. At this point I finally decided that I no longer wanted to be a Be Wiser customer. If it is this difficult to take out a policy what an earth would it be like if I did need to claim?

I then called straight back and spoke to a lady who told me it would be 25 to cancel the policy. I tried to explain that because the policy was never correct I hadn’t used it (eg not dared to drive the car). She kept telling me she was “helping” me to cancel it by charging me the 25 cancellation fee. I would say that for the first time in my life I did indeed get very angry; 25 cancellation charge for multiple !!!! ups was not “helpful” and demanded to speak to a manager. I was not passed on to a manager; but was told that the policy would be cancelled like it never existed and I needed to send my policy back. I was told I would get a full refund of my 117.93.

So please have your policy back, I will never go with the cheapest deal, but with an Insurance Company with a decent reputation who wants my business. I have to my knowledge had 3 credit vets, I have wasted upwards of 7 hours trying to sort out your mess. And as you can imagine I will never recommend your company.

Many thanks for reading this far, I sincerely hope you can sort out all of companies multiple failings so no other customers have to go through the misery I have endured for the last 3 days.

Kindest Regards
    Last edited by MSE Zorica; 06-02-2014 at 5:19 PM. Reason: Personal details
    2010 Challenge
    A Best Western Short Break! C D E Flash Cleaner G H I J Koala Lucozade/Lip Balm/lipstick M N O P Q Reebox Easytone Trainers S Tea U V W X Y Z
Page 5
    • greensquares1
    • By greensquares1 9th Jul 16, 11:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    It should read Mr Bowker-Dyke, MD of bewiser
    • Tim Willis
    • By Tim Willis 10th Aug 16, 12:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tim Willis
    Yet another victim of what can only be called mis selling by Be Wiser
    I was mis-sold breakdown recovery alongside my 2 Be Wiser COvea car insurance policies for a car and a van earlier this year following Churchill's decision to stop insuring vans.

In another situation you could perhaps put this down to a simple misunderstanding if it wasn't for the numerous long-winded calls spread over several days discussing this particular part of the policy. I can only conclude that I was purposely deceived by the rep who would quite obviously tell me anything to sign and that BeWiser's (purposely?) flawed procedures make the company complicit in this scam.

Trust me once you have signed on the dotted line you will find that the happy, smiley Be Wiser experience takes quite a nosedive. In fact forget any possibility of getting through to anyone with a modicum of common sense within 30 minutes.

I received absolutely nothing in my documents detailing what was included in my breakdown package (despite their claims I had been sent emails) and had to call Bewiser to clarify the details, yet again more deception. I only found out from the RAC that I only had 10 mile breakdown recovery when I was actually broken down on the M40 60 miles from home. Bewiser then took the best part of 30 minutes to answer my call to ask them what the hell was going on. I eventually arrived home some 5 hours late and with a bill of 185!

Even trying to make a complaint with Be wlser simply beggars belief they called me a day later than promised, from a noisy office (which made the call impossible to hear the caller) and she then even tried to charge for access to recordings of the original calls. Bewiser quite obviously hadn't spent any of my premium on sending this particular lady (!?) to charm school and I was quite frank in telling her what I thought of her. The call finished with this pleasant Be wiser complaints adviser stating she looked forward to receiving my complaint from the Ombudsmen!

I feel as if I have been scammed and will obviously never use Bewiser again but if this report makes one person query the lack of policy detail before handing over money to Be Wiser then I will have achieved my aim.

Expect to see BeWiser's Mark Bowser-Dyke trying to justify their unjustifiable practices on BBC's watchdog some time soon. The only thing that can top off this experience is the irony of the company's name!
    • timbo16
    • By timbo16 13th Oct 16, 8:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bunch of wasters.
    To be brief. Got a quote online. received email of quote . agreed to pay 124 deposi and 9 payments of 52.
    Then got an email stating need to contact to verify. during verification the online system assumed I had had the car since 1996 even though I ticked the NOT BOUGHT YET BOX. Then they said the quote was wrong and wanted 952. I said I need to cancel as this was not what I needed and was informed that they would keep 45 as I had cancelled. after some strong words I decided to accept this but will be taking it further ie. ombudsman etc. Thieving !!!!!!s
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

568Posts Today

4,968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Morning. On way to @gmb for my 7:40 Deals of the Week; incl clock change warning, free £200, Brit Gas £200 off, railcard code, eurostar sale

• RT @Magwa61: @MartinSLewis thank you Sorry I thought it was you, conning sids ????????????????????????????????????

• No. It's NEVER the right way to switch energy. Please don't confused these 'moneyexpert' sales reps with my site mo?

• Follow Martin