Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,902Posts
    • 67,300Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 286
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 3rd Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 9,746 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The Mummy. The one with Tom Cruise. It was entertaining enough but I preferred the other Mummy films with Brendan Fraser. I'm not sure if this film is related to the others - I think it would have been a better film if they'd toned down the violence and aimed for a 12 rating so that the whole family could watch it. It was just a bit too juvenile to command an adult audience with a 15 rating.

Edit - and why is the forum turning all my apostrophes into gibberish?
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    The processing of non-standard characters has been switched off (part of the anti-spam exercise, I think). The standard quotes work properly when entered from a Windows device, but other devices send fancy quotes which don't presently work.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 3rd Feb 18, 9:18 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    The film had a clear conclusion:

The former enemies were united against a common enemy, the guy who had raped and killed the girl. However, they realised that revenge was useless and only destroying themselves.

We’ve been lucky enough to see some very good films lately, but this one stands out.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    They didn't find her daughters killer and we don't know whether they made it to Idaho to kill that guy - I need to know these details you see.

I did love the acting in it though. I may be weird but I find Woody Harrelson a cutie. Which reminds me, I've never seen indecent proposal and that's on my 'to watch' list.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 4th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 23,444 Posts
    • 60,975 Thanks
    pollypenny
    They didn't find her daughters killer and we don't know whether they made it to Idaho to kill that guy - I need to know these details you see.

I did love the acting in it though. I may be weird but I find Woody Harrelson a cutie. Which reminds me, I've never seen indecent proposal and that's on my 'to watch' list.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac

They decided not to continue to Idaho, realising that hatred and the thirst for revenge was destructive to themselves. That’s how I see it, anyway.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 4th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 6,692 Posts
    • 15,789 Thanks
    barmonkey

The former enemies were united against a common enemy, the guy who had raped and killed the girl. However, they realised that revenge was useless and only destroying themselves.

We’ve been lucky enough to see some very good films lately, but this one stands out.

I understood the end but thought it was crap and ruined a good film.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 4th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    They decided not to continue to Idaho, realising that hatred and the thirst for revenge was destructive to themselves. That’s how I see it, anyway.
    How do you know? I thought they will decide on route.

That guy in Idaho is nothing to do with them seeing as he wasn't the one that killed her daughter. But that doesn't mean she then gave up on finding the real killer.

There's so many possibilities at what could have happened and I don't like not having answers - it pees me off.

Moonlight did that to me too
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 4th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6,692 Posts
    • 15,789 Thanks
    barmonkey
    I can recommend Please Stand By. I don't know much about autism but thought Dakota Fanning played the part well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4652650/
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 5th Feb 18, 1:20 AM
    • 23,707 Posts
    • 92,773 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted

Thanks for that - now I don't need to watch it. And I didn't even have to wait for the OH to ruin it by telling me the ending before the opening titles have begun. .

The Mummy. The one with Tom Cruise. It was entertaining enough but I preferred the other Mummy films with Brendan Fraser. I!!!8217;m not sure if this film is related to the others - I think it would have been a better film if they!!!8217;d toned down the violence and aimed for a 12 rating so that the whole family could watch it. It was just a bit too juvenile to command an adult audience with a 15 rating.

Edit - and why is the forum turning all my apostrophes into gibberish?
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Couldn't suspend disbelief enough to get into the B movie vibe - it was a Tom Cruise movie with Russell Crowe turning into Ray Winstone when he changed into Hyde. Unknown - or simply actually better - actors would have made it watchable, but it was just embarrassing in places.

Recent watches - Thor Ragnarok. Same thing - if they'd binned Goldblum for somebody who didn't look almost identical (minus the blue skin the character should have had) to his character from Earth Girls are Easy - and found somebody other than the only one of the three usual female actors that hadn't done a Marvel movie yet, it would have been a perfectly reasonable superhero movie.

Murder on the Orient Express. Mehhhh. OH didn't know the story , so was far more interested and paying attention than I was. Could have done without Depp doing Depp impressions.

Dunkirk - not what I expected, was pleasantly [?] surprised it wasn't a Saving Private Ryan type thing, but I liked it, even if one dark haired young man looked much the same as the next so it was hard to tell if it was the protagonist, his friend or somebody completely unrelated. I liked the way they conveyed the confusion through the times/scenes. Not going to rave about it like some friends have done, but it was good.

Wouldn't surprise me if Branagh goes in for a remake of the Cruel Sea soon; Naval war movies have to be up next on the list of things to return to. And Plymouth/Dartmoor haven't had major films shot there for a few years, so they must be due another.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 5th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 9,852 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Lion, Manchester by the Sea and A man called Ove - all on prime. Glad I rejoined.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 5th Feb 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I did get round to watch 'indecent proposal' over the weekend.

Cheesy but enjoyable. I've always known Robert Redford to be old and very wrinkly but he wasn't bad in the early 90s. If he has offered me a million............I'd be so tempted.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 5th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 9,746 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The Commuter - Liam Neeson exercises those very special skills of pacing up and down the train and checking tickets in this flabby, implausible action pic.

Cinema Release.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 5th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 26,343 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Logan Lucky - A heist caper film from the makers of Oceans 11-13. Channing Tatum and Adam Driver play downtrodden brothers who plot to rob a Speedway circuit. It's great fun and I can highly recommend it.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 6th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    Diamandis
    The Perfect Host

Dark comedy/ thriller with David Hyde Pearce (Niles from Frasier).

Really enjoyed this. Funny but suspenseful.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 23,444 Posts
    • 60,975 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The Commuter - Liam Neeson exercises those very special skills of pacing up and down the train and checking tickets in this flabby, implausible action pic.

Cinema Release.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

We’ve just been to see that.

Thoroughly enjoyed it as an action film, a change from the serious stuff we’ve seen lately.

Close to that one where he had to discover the villain on a plane -forgotten the name of that.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 10th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 13,902 Posts
    • 67,300 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)

Enjoyable, some great action.

Splendid start (impressive vehicle)

Woof Woof

Elton
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 13th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 13,902 Posts
    • 67,300 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Charlotte 2018

Really enjoyable creepy film

Mysterious throughout but nicely done

Weird how different the film is to the description
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 14th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    50 Shades Freed

It's silly but amusingly enjoyable.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 14th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 13,902 Posts
    • 67,300 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Split (2016)

OK, but Hard going with mix of unsettling, chilling and LOL moments

Patricia

Now TV
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 26,343 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Locke - an unusual but very good film. Tom Hardy stars as a man driving down the M6 to be present at the birth of a child he fathered during a one night stand. The entire film is set in his car detailing the various conversations he has with his family, his employer and the mother of his child. He is meant to be supervising the biggest concrete pour in Europe the next day and so you learn a lot about concrete and building and how to orchestrate a road closure. It doesn;t sound gripping but it really is. A great performance from Hardy and well worth a watch.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

9,267Users online

Martin's Twitter