Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,876Posts
    • 66,627Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 283
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 1st Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I watched Gone Girl on the iplayer yesterday.

I've seen it before but forgot how good it was. It's v clever and apparently there might be a sequel to it.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 1st Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 9,092 Thanks
    minimad1970

I've seen it before but forgot how good it was. It's v clever and apparently there might be a sequel to it.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    I enjoyed the storyline too, but they were both such unlikeable characters that I didn't care what happened to them.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 1st Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I enjoyed the storyline too, but they were both such unlikeable characters that I didn't care what happened to them.
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    Hehe, while I was watching I was impressed by Amy's meticulous and calculative planning. I even caught myself saying 'you go girl' a couple of times

If I was married to the gorgeous Ben Affleck I'd turn into a psychopath b!tch in order to not let him go too
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 1st Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 9,092 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Hehe, while I was watching I was impressed by Amy's meticulous and calculative planning. I even caught myself saying 'you go girl' a couple of times
    The planning was so detailed and well thought out, I have trouble deciding what to have for dinner
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 1st Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    The planning was so detailed and well thought out, I have trouble deciding what to have for dinner
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    I'm gona watch again and this time make notes.

This may explain why I'm single
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 1st Jan 18, 11:46 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 4,970 Thanks
    Spidernick

Snap! We did exactly the same last night (also on iplayer). I thought it a really clever film and enjoyed it immensely. The policewoman is the lead on Fear the Walking Dead (it took me a while to place her).
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 1st Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 9,092 Thanks
    minimad1970
    The policewoman is the lead on Fear the Walking Dead (it took me a while to place her).
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    I've not seen Fear the Walking Dead but I couldn't place her so I googled her and she was in Treme, one of my favourite programmes ever.
    • ERICS MUM
    • By ERICS MUM 2nd Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 6,443 Thanks
    ERICS MUM
    I'm not a film fan, can't sit more than an hour. But I started watching the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford film 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' while I was wrapping Christmas presents a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of my Mum who used to watch all the Bette Davis in the 1960's when we were kids.

Then for Christmas I was given a boxed set of Alfred Hitchcock films which I'm sure I will enjoy.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 2nd Jan 18, 12:28 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Then for Christmas I was given a boxed set of Alfred Hitchcock films which I'm sure I will enjoy.
    Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    This is probably a generation thing, but I couldn't get into his films.

I once saw Psycho and also the one with all the pigeons but I just could not overcome the 'special effects' - gosh it just looks too fake!!

I did once see 'strangers on a train' as a play in the westend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 2nd Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 13,262 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    I'm not a film fan, can't sit more than an hour. But I started watching the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford film 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane' while I was wrapping Christmas presents a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of my Mum who used to watch all the Bette Davis in the 1960's when we were kids.

Originally posted by ERICS MUM
    Iíll say one thing for the old films, at least they didnít drag on for hours. Most were around 70-90 mins long, perfect if youíre a bit of a fidget....like me and Ericís Mum!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 2nd Jan 18, 11:37 PM
    • 13,750 Posts
    • 26,238 Thanks
    onlyroz
    The Dark Tower. What a steaming pile of turd. Way to go destroying one of the greatest fantasy series of all time. Idris Elba does his best but nothing can save this. The story bears only passing resemblance to the books. Read them instead and give this a miss.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 3rd Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 8,489 Thanks
    uberalles
    A Prophet - A young Arab goes to prison and is forced under the orders of a Corsican gang lord.

Very good, quite violent and a tad sensitive.

English subtitles and languages spoken are Arabic, French and Corsican.

It is a World Film recorded from Channel 4 on my planner from 2012.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 3rd Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 13,876 Posts
    • 66,627 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Jack the Ripper (2017)

Enjoyable 'cat n mouse' thriller

English subtitles (German)

Twist

Heartfelt moments
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 5th Jan 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    I watched The Greatest Showman yesterday.

I really enjoyed it. It's a musical (I didn't know that beforehand).
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 5th Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 13,876 Posts
    • 66,627 Thanks
    I luv cats
    The Unseen (2016)

enjoyable.....

very intriguing

some great moments esp. fight

Eva was cool

99p Google Play rental
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Jan 18, 12:58 AM
    • 23,542 Posts
    • 91,919 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Kobo and the Two Strings.

Great animation, good story, very bittersweet and thoughtful. I really liked the way that the characters subtly drew on Japanese mythology in their costumes as well as the more obvious references. And the shamisen playing was very good (nice surprise cover on the end titles as well - one of my favourite songs of all time).

Not as good as Ghibli at its best, as they can break your heart every time you watch them, but a damn good attempt.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Jan 18, 1:04 AM
    • 23,542 Posts
    • 91,919 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Justice League.

Mehhhhhh. It was alright.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Jan 18, 1:13 AM
    • 23,542 Posts
    • 91,919 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Synchronicity.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz

Sussed out the entire thing after waking up after the interminable exposition at the beginning about 3 seconds and then exercised my right of escape after hearing them talk about a special 'Dallia' three times, as I didn't think the OH would be particularly keen upon my bellowing at the screen 'It's a ****ing Dahlia, probably Imperial Wine, you ****ing morons' and hurling a copy of Gardeners' World Magazine at the telly.

• I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 6th Jan 18, 11:25 PM
    • 13,876 Posts
    • 66,627 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Maniac Cop I II III

Not bad, though I was the best one.

This guy doesn't give UP

Old Skool Slasher trilogy

Danny Trejo made an appearance in II

Funny McCrae becomes lodger in one of them!

NO. 4 ???????
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 23,252 Posts
    • 60,525 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The Great Showman last week. Very enjoyable, great fun and good music.

Hostiles today. A realistic look at the US in the 19th century. Excellent plot, but marred by mumbling dialogue.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,671Posts Today

11,325Users online

Martin's Twitter