Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,789Posts
    • 61,173Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 276
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 26th Aug 17, 11:20 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 8,694 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Death Note on Netflix. I didn't realise it was a film, I thought it was a new series when I started watching it. It was pretty good, if a bit weird.
    • Bobbybun
    • By Bobbybun 27th Aug 17, 10:20 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Bobbybun
    Finally got to watch Avatar last night.....Only about 8 years late! Ha ha.

It is a good film but then I guess you all knew that already.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 27th Aug 17, 7:12 PM
    • 6,636 Posts
    • 15,683 Thanks
    barmonkey

Originally posted by Bobbybun
    Absolutely hated it.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 30th Aug 17, 11:36 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Mnd
    We saw American Made last week, ok..while talking about Tom Cruse films, I watched Valkarie last week, thought it was good until Bert Large from Doc Martin turned up as a German General!
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 30th Aug 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 12,227 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    The Theory of Everything on telly
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 7th Sep 17, 11:49 PM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 4,931 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I watched The Limehouse Golem a few days back, having enjoyed the Peter Ackroyd novel on which it is based. It was enjoyable (it weaves in historical figures from the time, namely Marx, Gissing and Dan Leno, of course, but without the reference to the birth of Charlie Chaplin that I remember from the book), but I expect many will see the twist coming.

I then saw An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, which was interesting, but I think focused too much on Al Gore's tilt at the Presidency. He was in Paris at the time of the attack there, and that was covered and was interesting, if not directly linked to climate change.

Tonight we watched the 2015 adaptation of Far From the Madding Crowd (Carey Mulligan version) recorded off the TV. It is very good, but Thomas Hardy wasn't a cheerful chap, was he? Not as depressing as Jude the Obscure (there was a version of that with Chris Eccleston a few years back)and a more upbeat ending than is the norm for him (with Tess, etc.).
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 8th Sep 17, 10:36 AM
    • 13,431 Posts
    • 25,533 Thanks
    onlyroz
    True Memoirs of an International Assassin (Netflix)
    This film has been universally panned by critics but I enjoyed and found it pretty funny. The premise is about a novelist who writes a book about an international assassin, but the book is published as "non-fiction". The author then gets abducted and taken to Venezuela, where he is expected to undertake a number of assassination missions. Sure, it's ludicrous and pretty shallow, but if you want to switch your brain off for a while then there are far worse films you could see.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 10th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 6,636 Posts
    • 15,683 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Saw The Big Sick last night. Nice story, good acting, loved it.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 10th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 6,636 Posts
    • 15,683 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Kidnap, would have been good if it wasnt for Halle Barry who is a dreadful actress.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 10th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 13,431 Posts
    • 25,533 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Sing (Amazon rental)
    I wasn't sure I'd like it but I did. From the makers of Despicable Me, it's about a failing theatre that tries to revive its fortunes by hosting a singing context, X-Factor style. All the characters are various animals (although this isn't really relevant to the story), and they all have various reasons for wanting to take part in the contest. The song and dance numbers are well executed and the characterisation is better done than in many animated features. Well worth a watch, and one for all the family.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 11th Sep 17, 2:23 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Watched a couple over the weekend...

Collide. Hopkins and Kingsley supporting in an action crime caper. Kingsley again brilliantly plays a proper nasty type.

Kite. Dystopian vehicle for Samuel L. Jackson. It was okay.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 4,943 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I watched a bit of Pacific Rim at the weekend, wow, that was terrible. It got good reviews so maybe I had to keep watching for a while? I didn't delete just in case I felt like watching a bit more one day.

Absolutely hated it.
    Originally posted by barmonkey
    Same here, I walked out of the cinema, in fact.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 12th Sep 17, 12:23 PM
    • 7,061 Posts
    • 15,561 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Allied with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard - good wartime drama!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 9,157 Posts
    • 8,609 Thanks
    Cornucopia

Originally posted by Bobbybun
    It's good, but "Unobtainium"? Unforgiveable.

The Circle - quirky, sideways look at silicon valley culture gone bad. With Emma Watson and Tom Hanks. (Netflix)

Wind River - grim but atmospheric thriller in which an FBI agent sets out to solve a brutal crime in rural Wyoming with the help of a local hunter. (Elizabeth Olson & Jeremy Renner are excellent). (General Release)

Logan Lucky - exquisitely plotted lightly comic heist movie directed by Steven Soderbergh. Not sure about Channing Tatum for the lead, but great cameos from Daniel Craig, Seth McFarlane and Hilary Swank. (General Release)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 12th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 7,879 Posts
    • 13,300 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    IT with Pierce Brosnan - it was good if a little predictable.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 14th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 2,558 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Last night I watched Patti Cake$ in the cinema.

Very enjoyable and mostly funny rather than inspiring (typical underdog story).
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 14th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 8,534 Posts
    • 12,996 Thanks
    worried jim
    Baby Driver- a total mess.
    The limehouse Golum. Rubbish.

Bushwick- good low budget effort.
    Unlocked- like a female Bourne and well worth a viewing.

Am halfway through Wonder Woman and so far so good.

It's all about great tv now like Mr Mercedes, Snowfall and Get Shorty.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 16th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 4,931 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I watched the new IT movie today - it's very like a horror version of Stand By Me and I enjoyed it (even though I don't tend to watch much horror).

It's made me want to watch Stand By Me again, so I've ordered a cheap copy on eBay!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 17th Sep 17, 10:18 PM
    • 13,789 Posts
    • 61,173 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Shut In (2015)

Really Enjoyed (off the telly) and a huge twist I wasn't expecting; Gripping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going in Style (2017)

Rented this enjoyable old school type movie. Really bounced off each other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rememory (2017) (Free play ~ Google Play movies)

Enjoyed, full of mystery.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Sep 17, 10:31 PM
    • 9,157 Posts
    • 8,609 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    mother! - intensely psychological, even visceral movie from Director Darren Aronofsky. Repeats themes from his other films (timeless love from The Fountain, obsession from Pi and surreal imagery from Black Swan). A challenging watch, not sure how enjoyable, though.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,932Posts Today

8,580Users online

Martin's Twitter