Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,762Posts
    • 59,052Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 272
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 26th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Dances with wolves is a great film. I dont think white saviour is the heart of the story. I think it's about friendship.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Indeed - I don't always agree with the Best Picture Oscar, but that one was truly deserving. Avatar is a pale SF imitation.

Onlyroz,

There's no 'perhaps' about it. To say a film you have never seen is 'rubbish' is a bit poor in my book, especially given the fact in won the Best Picture Oscar. You really should watch it, including for the wonderful soundtrack.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 26th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    K-Shop (2016)

Enjoyable funny LOL Never think of Doners the same way again

(nowtv)

Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word (2016)

Not too bad film on Nowtv. Some chilling moments

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Punisher: War Zone (2008)

Great action film on Nowtv. Funny moments esp. guy with scarface

The Lego Batman Movie (2017)

ZZZZZ Couldn't get into, making me nod off too
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 27th Jun 17, 1:01 AM
    • 25,891 Posts
    • 13,700 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Perhaps I was wrong to say rubbish. I've not actually seen Dances with Wolves but I have seen Avatar and Pocahontas and The Last Samurai. They're all enjoyable films but they are most certainly patronising towards the culture into which the noble white man is sent. The Great Wall, while not an amazing film, doesn't wall into that category.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I think avatar is more about the arrogance of humans. The main characters just happen to be white. Obviously it's visually great and the 3d works well on the bluray. I like the idea of their being a higher spirit.
    I havent seen the Great Wall.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 28th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    CRUEL SUMMER (2016)

Based on true-story, shocking moments

Must of scraped the edge of 15 cert as nasty actions/evil content

Guy from Emmerdale (Aaron Dingle) in it.

Nowtv.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 1st Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Downhill (2016)

Not too bad film on NowTV

Lol bit of a weird one

Some grizzly moments
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 1st Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    R.I.P Barry Norman.

I was an avid watcher of 'Film xx' when he was presenter and I think he was in part responsible for my love of film and taught me about the different aspects to appreciate.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 1st Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Yesterday I watched 'Colossal.'

Certainly a brash mix of genres but brilliantly done IMHO. Very entertaining and Anne Hathaway was just as alluring as ever.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 2nd Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Follow (2015)

Not too bad nowtv film

Bit weird combo of killing , body placement and bad singing. Not sure I got it totally.
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 2nd Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    • 6,594 Posts
    • 15,615 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Had a bit of a movie weekend,

Okja,
    Meet Mija, a young girl who risks everything to prevent a powerful, multi-national company from kidnapping her best friend - a massive animal named Okja.
    Loved it, was not expecting it at all.

The Circle,
    A woman lands a dream job at a powerful tech company called the Circle, only to uncover an agenda that will affect the lives of all of humanity.
    Could easily have been an episode of Black Mirror.

Wonder Woman,
    Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained warrior. When a pilot crashes and tells of conflict in the outside world, she leaves home to fight a war, discovering her full powers and true destiny.
    Loved it and Gal Gadot is stunning.

Morgan
    A corporate risk-management consultant must decide whether or not to terminate an artificially created humanoid being.
    A bit dull to be honest.

Bokeh
    On a romantic getaway to Iceland, a young American couple wake up one morning to discover every person on earth has disappeared. Their struggle to survive and to reconcile the mysterious event lead them to reconsider everything they know about themselves and the world.
    Visually stunning but very dull and goes nowhere.

Power Rangers

A group of high-school students, who are infused with unique superpowers, harness their abilities in order to save the world.
    Fun and surprisingly enjoyable.

Shimmer Lake
    An inventive crime thriller told backwards -- reversing day by day through a week -- following a local sheriff's quest to unlock the mystery of three small town criminals and a bank heist gone wrong.
    Complete crap, gave up after 45 minutes.

Mr Right
    A girl falls for the "perfect" guy, who happens to have a very fatal flaw: he's a hitman on the run from the crime cartels who employ him.
    Very enjoyable, one of Anna Kendriks better films.
    Last edited by barmonkey; 02-07-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 4th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    T2 Trainspotting (2017)

Enjoyed the catch-up with this sequel.

Some good ole banter and music

Enjoyed better than thought I would.

via Google Play Movies 99p (account offer)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 6th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Jason Bourne (2016)

Wow really enjoyed

Supercharged, phew cat n mouse & twists

NowTV

Glad didn't take notice of reviews as loved it
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 7th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Last night I watched Baby Driver.

The trailer for this film seemed to have been doing the rounds for months and I wasn't inclined to go and see it. However, the reviews were so good I decided to do so and am glad I did. It's a good story, but the highlight is the good effect to which the music was used - recommended.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

• Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 8th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Last night I watched a late showing of Spiderman: Homecoming. It's very different to your standard Spiderman film. Again it was much better than the trailer suggested (could this be a theme?). I thought it was very enjoyable (it was good not to spend time going through the origins scenes and the loss of Peter's uncle) and would recommend it, not just to fans of the Marvel films.

Sky? Believe in better.

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 8,795 Posts
    • 8,187 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Last night I watched Baby Driver.
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Last night I watched a late showing of Spiderman: Homecoming.
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Seen both of those and agree with your recommendations.

Also, I saw It Comes in the Night today, and it's a grim, gritty, suspenseful post-apocalyptic thriller/horror (with very little gore). It's unusually quiet and lacking in gimmicks.

Synopsis: A family deal with the realities of living in an (unspecified) post-apocalyptic/post-plague woodland environment.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Happyhousewife
    • By Happyhousewife 16th Jul 17, 3:28 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Happyhousewife
    I quite liked Wonder Woman & Logan.

I'm going to see 'War For The Planet Of The Apes' Monday.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 16th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 26,957 Posts
    • 78,703 Thanks
    jackieb
    I saw Baby Driver last week. Going to see it again tomorrow. I just love Edgar Wright's stuff and this was even better than his usual. You always notice more stuff going on every time you watch his films.

I saw Spider-Man - The Homecoming on Friday. It wasn't my choice of film but I preferred it to all the other Spider-Man films - there's more humour in it for one.
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 16th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 44,786 Posts
    • 40,094 Thanks
    Sheel
    I saw Baby Driver last week. Going to see it again tomorrow. I just love Edgar Wright's stuff and this was even better than his usual. You always notice more stuff going on every time you watch his films.

I saw Spider-Man - The Homecoming on Friday. It wasn't my choice of film but I preferred it to all the other Spider-Man films - there's more humour in it for one.
    Originally posted by jackieb
    I want to see Baby Driver.

Yesterday my daughter was taking the grandsons to see Spiderman and my granddaughter was upset as she didn't want to see it and wanted to see Despicable Me 3 instead. Her Grandad would normally have taken her, but he was getting his hair cut so I took her instead.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as i've not seen the previous Despicable Me films, but I did.
    Not long now
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 16th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 26,957 Posts
    • 78,703 Thanks
    jackieb
    I want to see Baby Driver.

Yesterday my daughter was taking the grandsons to see Spiderman and my granddaughter was upset as she didn't want to see it and wanted to see Despicable Me 3 instead. Her Grandad would normally have taken her, but he was getting his hair cut so I took her instead.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as i've not seen the previous Despicable Me films, but I did.
    Originally posted by Sheel
    Go see it! I love going to the cinema but to be honest films often have boring bits in them. I sometimes want to sleep lol but there wasn't one minute where I wasn't interested in this one. I bought the soundtrack and i've pre-ordered it on blu-ray already
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 16th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 6,594 Posts
    • 15,615 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Saw The Mummy last night, wish I hadn't bothered, its 5hite.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 20th Jul 17, 5:06 AM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 8,229 Thanks
    arthurdick
    I watched a film last night, it really brought tears to my eyes.
    It was called Seven Pounds, it had Will Smith in it..
    I really enjoyed it.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin