Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,760Posts
    • 59,012Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 271
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 14th Jun 17, 3:05 AM
    • 13,760 Posts
    • 59,012 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Alena (2015)

Enjoyable film on NowTV

Boo-hiss to the bullies esp. Filippa

Fabienne and Alena's friendship was great.

Chilling moments surround Josefin
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 21,747 Posts
    • 55,465 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I watched Sweet Home Alabama on Saturday. A lovely, funny romantic film.

Nothing in the cinema appeals at the moment, all super heroes!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 16th Jun 17, 12:00 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,643 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I watched My Cousin Rachel tonight. It's a thoughtful film with some very good performances, especially from Rachel Weisz in the title role. If you want a break from the various action movies with little in the way of plot, then this film might be for you.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 16th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    One for the Sci-fi fans...

Moon (2009)

Found it mentioned on a Youtube list of underrated films so I thought I'd give it a try. I wasn't dissappointed. Loved the way the story unfolded and a very good production.

Recommended!
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 16th Jun 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,643 Thanks
    Spidernick
    One for the Sci-fi fans...

Moon (2009)

Found it mentioned on a Youtube list of underrated films so I thought I'd give it a try. I wasn't dissappointed. Loved the way the story unfolded and a very good production.

Recommended!
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow

Directed by David Bowie's son Duncan Jones (formerly Zowie Bowie) from memory. I'd also recommend this.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

• Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 16th Jun 17, 6:18 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Directed by David Bowie's son Duncan Jones (formerly Zowie Bowie) from memory. I'd also recommend this.
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Didn't know that! Are you one of the SpiderNicks from Mars?

As I'm a brother Bowie fan like yourself, it only adds to my enjoyment of the film. Must look out for more of DJ's work.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 17th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,643 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Tonight we saw Churchill with Brian Cox very impressive in the title role. It's an interesting film for anyone who likes history and I enjoyed it.

Are you one of the SpiderNicks from Mars?
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    I'm from Earth, although according to the book, men are from Mars.

Sky? Believe in better.

• I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 21st Jun 17, 12:37 AM
    • 13,760 Posts
    • 59,012 Thanks
    I luv cats
    The Hatton Garden Job (2017)

I enjoyed this British, old school actors with some laughter / banter.

Mixed reviews but glad gave it a go,
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 22nd Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 999 Posts
    • 2,465 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Yesterday I watched the Nick Broomfield doc on Whitney 'Can I be me'.

Very tragic and similar to the Amy Winehouse doc.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 23rd Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,643 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I went to see the new The Mummy film last night. i's getting an awful ribbing, but if you take it for what it is, I thought it was quite good fun if you're in the mood for an enjoyable bit of nonsense.

I do wonder if all these films showing London landmarks being destroyed (in the trailer, so not a spoiler) is a metaphor in some ways, given the way the world is at the moment!

Sky? Believe in better.

• Anesidora
    • By Anesidora 25th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Anesidora
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Disgraced financial journalist (Daniel Craig) is hired by a wealthy Swedish industrialist to solve the murder of his missing niece 40 years ago

He enlists the help of a brilliant outcast investigator/hacker (Rooney Mara) who is troubled by events in her own past

Rooney Mara steals the film for me, she thoroughly deserved her Oscar nomination

The film is very dark and incredibly hard to watch but it is such a good film, there is also a sequel planned but without Daniel Craig
    And in the middle of the flood I felt my worth

When you held onto me like I was your little life raft
    Please know that you were mine as well

Drops of water hit the ground like God's own tears
    And spread out into shapes like
    Salad bowls and basins and buckets for bailing out the flood
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 26th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 4,643 Thanks
    Spidernick
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Disgraced financial journalist (Daniel Craig) is hired by a wealthy Swedish industrialist to solve the murder of his missing niece 40 years ago

He enlists the help of a brilliant outcast investigator/hacker (Rooney Mara) who is troubled by events in her own past

Rooney Mara steals the film for me, she thoroughly deserved her Oscar nomination

The film is very dark and incredibly hard to watch but it is such a good film, there is also a sequel planned but without Daniel Craig
    Originally posted by Anesidora
    You should watch the original Swedish version (of the whole trilogy, in fact), as this is even better IMO and I also think Noomi Rapace played the title character better than Mara (but with no Oscar nomination, of course!).

Sky? Believe in better.

• Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 26th Jun 17, 4:13 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    The Recall

Really just another 'group of young friends at a remote log cabin' type of film with a script from the cliche catalogue.

It'll never be big box-office but, perfect for a Sunday afternoon.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 26th Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 48,880 Posts
    • 133,609 Thanks
    colinw
    I watched the the Quatermass Experiment yesterday on the Horror channel, all entertaining stuff....
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 26th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 13,122 Posts
    • 24,931 Thanks
    onlyroz
    You should watch the original Swedish version (of the whole trilogy, in fact), as this is even better IMO and I also think Noomi Rapace played the title character better than Mara (but with no Oscar nomination, of course!).
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Was going to say that the Swedish versions are far superior.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 26th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 13,122 Posts
    • 24,931 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Wonder Woman - An entertaining enough action film with a decent female lead. Not quite as good as the hype was suggesting, IMO, but worth a watch. Certainly far superior to the dreadful Batman V Superman.

The Great Wall (Amazon rental) - A collaboration between the Chinese and US film industries. Set in China with a largely Chinese cast, but with Matt Damon playing an Irish (yes, I know) mercenary. The plot is fairly run-of-the-mill (involving fights with hoards of monsters, and a plot to steal the legendary Chinese black powder) but the effects are good and the fights spectacular. I was also expecting it to be the typical "white saviour" rubbish like Avatar or Dances with Wolves, but it wasn't really like that at all. Worth a look.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 26th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 13,122 Posts
    • 24,931 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Passengers - Sci-fi romance with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. I really enjoyed this one - it's about two people who are woken up 90 years too early on an expedition to colonize another planet. They find themselves alone in space and have to figure out how to survive.
    • flissh
    • By flissh 26th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    flissh
    Mr Church, Eddie Murphy plays a straight role really well, had me in tears.

Lion, Dev patel another tear jerker.

Loving, a true story about inter racial marriage in Virginia when it was illegal.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 26th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 25,825 Posts
    • 13,592 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Wonder Woman - An entertaining enough action film with a decent female lead. Not quite as good as the hype was suggesting, IMO, but worth a watch. Certainly far superior to the dreadful Batman V Superman.

The Great Wall (Amazon rental) - A collaboration between the Chinese and US film industries. Set in China with a largely Chinese cast, but with Matt Damon playing an Irish (yes, I know) mercenary. The plot is fairly run-of-the-mill (involving fights with hoards of monsters, and a plot to steal the legendary Chinese black powder) but the effects are good and the fights spectacular. I was also expecting it to be the typical "white saviour" rubbish like Avatar or Dances with Wolves, but it wasn't really like that at all. Worth a look.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Dances with wolves is a great film. I dont think white saviour is the heart of the story. I think it's about friendship.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 26th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 13,122 Posts
    • 24,931 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Dances with wolves is a great film. I dont think white saviour is the heart of the story. I think it's about friendship.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Perhaps I was wrong to say rubbish. I've not actually seen Dances with Wolves but I have seen Avatar and Pocahontas and The Last Samurai. They're all enjoyable films but they are most certainly patronising towards the culture into which the noble white man is sent. The Great Wall, while not an amazing film, doesn't wall into that category.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,371Posts Today

8,488Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin