Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,755Posts
    • 58,806Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 266
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th Apr 17, 4:27 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Saw skull island last night with the kids and grand kids.

Very entertaining. Special effects were very good. Best kong ever. There was enough in the film to keep the whole family interested and whilst most of the humans met gory endings, there wasn't much gore shown

Must find out what hair gel Hiddleston wore as he made it through without a hair out of place
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 19th Apr 17, 2:50 PM
    • 974 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Over the easter weekend I watched a documentary called Finders keepers

A very very bizarre situation of a man buying a BBQ in an auction and finds a mummified human leg in it. The owner of the leg had it amputated after an accident and wanted it back but the BBQ buyer wanted to keep it. A legal battle then ensued about who legally owns it or can claim it.

Sounds silly but the film looks into both their lives/families/past and how this this weird situation changed the paths of their lives.

Now I'm a massive doc lover and this really is one of the most fascinating docs I've ever seen.
    • Meg x
    • By Meg x 19th Apr 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    Meg x
    I watched the new Beauty and the Beast on Kodi.
    I enjoyed it, and it was quite funny in parts too.
    ''Embrace the glorious mess that you are''

Elizabeth Gilbert

''The world is made of faith, trust, and pixie dust''
    J.M. Barrie
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 19th Apr 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    Spidernick
    Tonight we watched A United Kingdom on DVD, based on the true story of the interracial relationship between Botswana's first President (as he became) and his English wife in the late 40s/early 50s. It was really interesting and is another dark part of British history, which unfortunately we have to accept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_United_Kingdom

Recently I also rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy (in anticipation of the sequel coming out soon) and enjoyed it much more this time round. The first time I watched it, it didn't really click with me, I have to admit.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • thor
    • By thor 21st Apr 17, 2:16 AM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 1,848 Thanks
    thor
    I watched Dredd tonight (recorded from Channel 4 last night), which I'd never seen before (apparently the studio foolishly didn't give out many 2D copies when it was at the cinema and rather shot themselves in the foot as there are plenty of people, me included, who cannot see the point of so-called 3D, hence it passed me by)
    Originally posted by Spidernick
    Dredd is an extremely underrated film and should have done much better at the box office. The coolest thing about it was that Karl Urban playing the main star did not take his helmet off during the entire running time.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 22nd Apr 17, 11:42 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I saw Their Finest today: an excellent WWII comedy drama starring Gemma Arterton and Bill Nighy and well worth watching.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

• bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 22nd Apr 17, 11:47 PM
    • 4,686 Posts
    • 7,665 Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    Saw Get Out recently very topical and intelligent film. A few good laughs too. Very deep and multi-layered.

Eagerly awaiting seeing Guardians 2 and Prometheus covenant at the imax cinema, BRING IT ON!that would be some double bill
    Why don't they do double bill movies anymore?
    Last edited by bushbaby1103; 22-04-2017 at 11:52 PM.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 22nd Apr 17, 11:53 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Loved Karl Urban as Dredd.
    As a true fan he fully understood that Dredd NEVER removed his helmet,,, OK fans of 2000AD will know that he did when he was lost in the cursed earth as a "dead man walking"...
    However, loved the film and Karl has said he would be more than happy to return if there was to be a sequel...

Off at a tangent there...
    Last good film I seen was Blood Diamond,,, absolutely excellent film...
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 23rd Apr 17, 3:38 PM
    • 13,755 Posts
    • 58,806 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Ok, but lost its WOW factor. Not much original content anymore except few new droids etc.

Some great visuals as usual

Couldn't mistake lol 'Hanson' boss guy from Holby City on bbc1
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 23rd Apr 17, 8:16 PM
    • 6,539 Posts
    • 15,457 Thanks
    barmonkey
    Saw Get Out recently very topical and intelligent film. A few good laughs too. Very deep and multi-layered.
    Originally posted by bushbaby1103
    Watched last night and loved it.
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 23rd Apr 17, 8:25 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 3,219 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I want to see Get Out too.

Dredd is an extremely underrated film and should have done much better at the box office. The coolest thing about it was that Karl Urban playing the main star did not take his helmet off during the entire running time.
    Originally posted by thor
    Very violent though.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 23rd Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Watched last night and loved it.
    Originally posted by barmonkey

Just watched it there now myself and like you loved it

He should have listened to his friend
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 24th Apr 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    Spidernick
    We watched The Light Between Oceans last night (a lighthouse keeper and his wife save and keep a baby and the consequences of this). It was enjoyable but possibly a shade too long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_Between_Oceans_(film)

Sky? Believe in better.

• I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 25th Apr 17, 7:10 PM
    • 13,755 Posts
    • 58,806 Thanks
    I luv cats
    GUN (2010)

Not too bad...

Plot fairly low key but comes with a twist or two

Netflix
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 25th Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 8,582 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Their Finest - Gemma Arterton as a "woman in a man's world" becomes a WW2 scriptwriter for Ministry of Information films. Combines several good and bad traits, being at the same time charming, simplistic and melodramatic, whilst occasionally portraying historic events with a modern eye.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 25th Apr 17, 9:26 PM
    • 6,544 Posts
    • 14,001 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    Unthinkable - I won't post the trailer or the lead actor because I think it sucks at representing what the film is actually about. It;s the second film I've seen recently that explores moral boundaries ( the other being Sicario) Both had good female leads too!
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 26th Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I watched Fast and Furious 8 yesterday. I'd never seen any of the previous films and had some reservations around seeing it. However, despite the gaping plot holes and the fact that calling Vin Diesel an 'actor' would surely contravene numerous trade description laws, it was actually really good fun for what it was and had some very well executed action scenes.

Sky? Believe in better.

• donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 26th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    • 25,560 Posts
    • 13,417 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Kong skull island.
    An enjoyable film well worth seeing. Not outstanding but very good.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 28th Apr 17, 5:06 PM
    • 14,296 Posts
    • 33,439 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    Logan, the Wolverine film.

Well it's certainly different, a very downbeat, serious film, quite an intimate movie too, about Logan, his "dad" Xavier and his "daughter" X23. Not much action which is fine, low on CGI which is good, more a tale of personal tragedy and old age than a superhero flick but a fitting end to the character line and excellent acting all round for what is a three actor ensemble piece.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 28th Apr 17, 5:10 PM
    • 14,296 Posts
    • 33,439 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    Kong Island. It was a decent way to while couple of hours. Perhaps a bit too long and certainly best not to pick away at the script or story else the characters and movie make no sense.

"I know, I'll fly my squadron of helicopters directly into the flailing arms of a gigantic gorilla.....oh, look, we've all crashed" D'oh!

Lots of moments like that, shooting at Kong with a 50mm canon doesn't hurt him, so when the canon runs out I know, I'll use my army issued 9mm revolver, yes, that'll kill him.

But for pure escapism fun and excellent CGI tinged with an Apocolypse Now vibe, it is worth a watch.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

6,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin