Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,753Posts
    • 58,804Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 263
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 20th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 3,572 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Finally got to see Rogue One yesterday. Was well worth the wait.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 20th Mar 17, 5:20 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 3,572 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Is that the one set in Alaska? If so then I enjoyed it - not a patch on 28 Days Later, but still far far far better than Twilight.

If you like films set in snowy remote locations then try Trollhunter. It's in Norwegian with subtitles, and has some shaky handycam work, but is really very good.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I'd love to watch this but I don't do well with subtitled films due to concentration problems, unfortunately
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 20th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 13,753 Posts
    • 58,804 Thanks
    I luv cats
    recent films for me:-

Hacked - Nowtv- its a cross of unfriended/friend request and the strangers (ie the film doesnt give away who the culprits are and they are wearing masks) - thought it was quite good.

Originally posted by rainbowfairydust

Enjoyed it too.

Some OMG moments (good prank too )

Very mysterious

99p itunes rental
    • rainbowfairydust
    • By rainbowfairydust 20th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 46,709 Thanks
    rainbowfairydust
    Is this the one where the guy dresses up for his kids birthday but can't get the suit off and turns into a clown?
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    yep this is the same film.
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra!
    Originally posted by Sleazy

Mature Student
    2015 - 2018

Year One Done

Year Two - 26/9/16
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 21st Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 3,820 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I watched Get Out today - extremely creepy at times, but totally enthralling and with a good twist to boot. I'd thoroughly recommend this.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse)

Note (seemingly for the majority out there alas!): If you don't win you 'lose'. 'Loose' rhymes with 'moose' and is the opposite of 'tight'. Why do so many people get this wrong?
    • CharlieBilly
    • By CharlieBilly 21st Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    CharlieBilly
    I saw it on Sunday, yeah its very good makes sense with new hope film (1st film of franchise)

• onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 21st Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    • 12,827 Posts
    • 24,206 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I much preferred Rogue One to Force Awakens.
    • juliethemuse
    • By juliethemuse 22nd Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 604 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    juliethemuse
    Kong - Skull Island. Enjoyed this, Much better than the Jack Black effort from a few years back.
    Originally posted by barmonkey
    Yes I agree it was much better. great film.
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 22nd Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 2,326 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    Logan ..
    Best X men film to date but wont spoil it for anyone not seen it yet

Been out a while but only just got round to watching Eddie the Eagle and thought it was an excellent film and very funny in places
    Have a nice day
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 22nd Mar 17, 12:29 PM
    • 21,417 Posts
    • 54,577 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Kong - Skull Island. Enjoyed this, Much better than the Jack Black effort from a few years back.
    Originally posted by barmonkey

We're going to see that today. OH'birthday, so he gets the pick.

I'm ready for a good comedy, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 23rd Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 21,417 Posts
    • 54,577 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We're going to see that today. OH'birthday, so he gets the pick.

I'm ready for a good comedy, though.
    Originally posted by pollypenny

Kong Island.

That's two hours I'm not going to get back! Wish we'd gone to Vue, then I could have left OH to watch it and gone round the outlet village.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • rainbowfairydust
    • By rainbowfairydust 23rd Mar 17, 6:27 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 46,709 Thanks
    rainbowfairydust
    Beauty and The Beast - a great modern day version of the original. I really loved it.

50 Shades Darker - The first film i didnt pick up on any hints of possible domestic abuse/and definite coercion - in this film its full of it and even worse - its been glamorised and portrayed as being acceptable with the perp being rich and good looking. The producers have clearly tried to make Christian Grey into this poor damaged sole who needs to be protected. However, they failed miserably and instead the coercive and controlling behaviour from Christian Grey is very very apparent.
    As for the film itself - found it a long watch, and uncohesive. I cant even find any positive words for Jamie Dornan
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra!
    Originally posted by Sleazy

Mature Student
    2015 - 2018

Year One Done

Year Two - 26/9/16
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 23rd Mar 17, 11:32 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 1,454 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Passengers.

I know a few on here have already seen it, but I went into it totally blind, just picked it at random.

The plot is a little predictable, but the story is well told with a minimal, but strong cast and overall, a good and enjoyable film.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 24th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 3,820 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I went to see Life this afternoon. From seeing the trailer recently I thought 'Ah, this is Alien'. It even had the Ripley character trying to do the containment of the alien. Without wishing to spoil it for anyone, let's just say it's almost Alien to a tee. It's far from original (and I had a feeling about the ending shortly before it was revealed) and listening to 5Live now many have derided it for its lack of originality, but I have to say that I enjoyed it. If you like Sci-Fi then it's worth watching to my mind.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse)

Note (seemingly for the majority out there alas!): If you don't win you 'lose'. 'Loose' rhymes with 'moose' and is the opposite of 'tight'. Why do so many people get this wrong?
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 25th Mar 17, 10:33 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Just watched Collateral for the first time. A lot of people seem to dislike Tom Cruise but I thought he was charismatic in this. Michael Mann's directing as well, very cool film: 8/10
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 25th Mar 17, 11:33 PM
    • 25,220 Posts
    • 13,333 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Just watched Collateral for the first time. A lot of people seem to dislike Tom Cruise but I thought he was charismatic in this. Michael Mann's directing as well, very cool film: 8/10
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    It's a quality film and it's one of his better performances.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 25th Mar 17, 11:59 PM
    • 12,827 Posts
    • 24,206 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Air (Netflix) - A post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller set in a claustrophobic underground bunker where a pair of technicians emerge from stasis for two hours every six months to check whether the air (after some kind of chemical/nuclear/bio war thingy) is breathable yet. It's a low budget film with a few gaping plot-holes, but if you view it as a character study of how people in such circumstances might go stir-crazy then it's well worth a watch.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 26th Mar 17, 12:00 AM
    • 12,827 Posts
    • 24,206 Thanks
    onlyroz
    It's a quality film and it's one of his better performances.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    He was also decent in Edge of Tomorrow and Minority Report. And The Last Samurai wasn't totally terrible either.
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 26th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 3,820 Thanks
    Spidernick
    If you want to see Tom Cruise as you've never seen him before, then watch Magnolia, which is a marvellous film (that I'm hoping to get around to rewatching soon):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_(film)

The main issue I have with Cruise (after his advocacy of Scientology) is his disregard for stage acting (which many see as 'proper' acting). Supposedly he couldn't understand why Nicole Kidman would want to act in a play for £150 a week, rather than in a film for much more. To my mind that is both short-sighted and shallow. If Charlton Heston saw plays as worthwhile (I was lucky enough to see him in A Man For All Seasons about 30 years ago) then everyone should.

• onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 26th Mar 17, 7:55 PM
    • 12,827 Posts
    • 24,206 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Oh yes, Magnolia was a brilliant film. Cruise was good in it, but the real star was the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,244Posts Today

7,197Users online

Martin's Twitter