Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,762Posts
    • 59,052Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 261
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 12th Mar 17, 12:45 AM
    • 13,243 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Got a shiny new TV today. A 55" 4K HDR LG thingy. We celebrated by watching Dr Strange on blu-ray and Arrival on Amazon Instant. Both brilliant films which looked great in the new telly.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 12th Mar 17, 5:28 AM
    • 2,615 Posts
    • 3,687 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    Got a shiny new TV today. A 55" 4K HDR LG thingy. We celebrated by watching Dr Strange on blu-ray and Arrival on Amazon Instant. Both brilliant films which looked great in the new telly.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    My TV isn't quite so big but it's 4K and the clarity is absolutely amazing. Having Amazon Prime opens up a whole new access to 4K films that I can't get elsewhere.

I've heard that Japan has now produced an 8K but I can't honestly see how you could significantly improve on 4K. Unless it's more of a gaming thing. But then again my son plays his PS games on my TV and it looks almost life like.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 12th Mar 17, 7:51 AM
    • 13,243 Posts
    • 25,241 Thanks
    onlyroz
    My TV isn't quite so big but it's 4K and the clarity is absolutely amazing. Having Amazon Prime opens up a whole new access to 4K films that I can't get elsewhere.

I've heard that Japan has now produced an 8K but I can't honestly see how you could significantly improve on 4K. Unless it's more of a gaming thing. But then again my son plays his PS games on my TV and it looks almost life like.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    Yes we had a look at some of Amazon and Netflix's 4K content. Very impressive. Our previous telly was "only" 720p and so we've never even had proper HD until now.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Mar 17, 8:03 AM
    • 8,295 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    worried jim
    I started on Assasins creed yesterday. Turned it off after about 30 minutes as utter crap.

Did see hidden figures which was quite good but would have been made better if it was filmed as a drama (like Spotlight) rather than as entertainment as the subject matter was so important. Made me upset and angry at the racism.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 12th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 4,811 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I watched two very different films last night, but both of them very good.

The whole family watched A Street Cat Named Bob (on DVD) last night. Yet another uplifting film I have watched of late and thoroughly recommended, even for the most cynical out there and again based on a true story.

I then rewatched Withnail and I (recorded from Channel 4 in the summer!) which remains a cult classic and a must see for anyone who has never watched it (probably best watched a little inebriated to appreciate it the most!):

'We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!'
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 13th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Dr Strange

Enjoyable (though confusing dimension stuff )

If only I could do to chocolate etc. what he did to an apple

Library

Some great visuals

Post credits scene ??

Via Google Play 50% off rental email deal
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Mar 17, 7:34 AM
    • 9,781 Posts
    • 23,826 Thanks
    suki1964
    Watched Hidden Figures Sunday night

Loved it

What great strong women. To push through the barriers of sexism and racism they faced daily to succeed to become the best in their field
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 14th Mar 17, 9:47 AM
    • 8,869 Posts
    • 8,238 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Patriots Day - a trueish account of the bombing of the Boston Marathon in 2013. It's fast-paced and thoughtfully made. There was a lot of detail that I don't recall having seen in the News here, including an intense battle on the streets of Watertown, involving guns and improvised explosives.

The only question, really, is whether it is too soon after the event.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 14th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 4,811 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I saw Moonlight this afternoon. Like others here, I found it interesting enough, but am a little bemused as to all the accolades it has received. I much preferred Hidden Figures and Lion of the films short listed for the Best Picture Oscar personally.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

• arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 15th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 8,229 Thanks
    arthurdick
    We watched a few films on NETFLIX over the last week or so.

"Chappie", not a bad little film with a couple of funny bits.

"Would You Rather?". watchable but with some horrible bits

"The Hunter"
    Not too bad.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • rainbowfairydust
    • By rainbowfairydust 15th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 16,200 Posts
    • 46,709 Thanks
    rainbowfairydust
    Our Kind of Traitor - amazon prime - silly story but production/acting was good.

The Invitation - Netflix- strange for the most part

High Rise - amazon prime another weird watch but really well put together production wise

Most Likely to Die - Netflix - Dire
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra!
    Originally posted by Sleazy

Mature Student
    2015 - 2018

Year One Done

Year Two - 26/9/16
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 15th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 4,811 Thanks
    Spidernick
    I've just come back from seeing Viceroy's House. Despite some of the controversy, I really enjoyed it and think most people interested in history would. Hugh Bonneville did seem to be extending his Lord Grantham role from Downton Abbey and Gillian Anderson (Lady Mountbatten) and Gwyneth Paltrow (absent from this film) do seem to be vying for the award of 'Yank to play a Brit to bring in the American audiences' award, but don't let that put you off. It is also notable for being Om Puri's final film.

One question I do have: were Gandhi's teeth really as bad as portrayed in the film?

Sky? Believe in better.

• rainbowfairydust
    • By rainbowfairydust 16th Mar 17, 9:44 AM
    • 16,200 Posts
    • 46,709 Thanks
    rainbowfairydust
    Eye in the Sky - amazon prime - tense viewing - really enjoyed watching it. Great performances from all involved.

The Phoenix Tapes 97 - amazon prime - run of the mill hand held camera film - thought it was ok.

Mature Student
    2015 - 2018

Year One Done

Year Two - 26/9/16
    • rainbowfairydust
    • By rainbowfairydust 16th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 16,200 Posts
    • 46,709 Thanks
    rainbowfairydust
    who am i - amazon prime- this turned out to be really good - its extremely similar to the tv show Mr Robot. The film is german ( and has subtitles) but is well made ( esp given they prob had a small budget too ). Like the soundtrack, and the concept and a nice twist at the end. A good watch

Mature Student
    2015 - 2018

Year One Done

Year Two - 26/9/16
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Mar 17, 12:28 PM
    • 9,781 Posts
    • 23,826 Thanks
    suki1964
    Patriots Day

Worth a watch, "based on true events" it's been given the Hollywood makeover and Mark Wahlburgs character is pure Hollywood

But the clever use of real footage keeps this film real and on track
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 17th Mar 17, 8:35 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 12,969 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    John Wick Chapter 2, brilliant film, even higher body count than the first.
    Totally did not disappoint.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    My mum (80 yrs old, loves blood, gore and Keanu Reeves, not necessarily in that order ) pestered me to take her to see this, I hadn't seen the first one and really wasn't looking forward to it. Thought it was great fun though, and I finally got around to watching the first one the following day.

It does what it says on the tin, was surprised that it was only a 15 certificate though!

I hope that even the non-Thor fans on here have watched the trailer for "Thor: Ragnarok"? If only the films were as hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVnBBjjjAnY
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 17th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 13,762 Posts
    • 59,052 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Rec 2

Not too bad, twist later on

Few grizzly moments

.................................................. ............................

Rec 3

Enjoyed more than Rec 2

LOL: hand Blender / Chainsaw / Hearing Aid

(Recorded both off telly while back)
    • arthurdick
    • By arthurdick 18th Mar 17, 6:44 AM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 8,229 Thanks
    arthurdick
    "Let us Prey" on NETFLIX. Bit of a gory film set in a remote Scottish police station, it wasn't too bad.
    4371/3 =1457.. some people won't accept that though.
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines!
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Mar 17, 7:07 AM
    • 8,295 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    worried jim
    Got one hour into Rouge One before falling asleep.

Did rewatch the brilliant Män som hatar kvinnor on Prime, otherwise known as the girl with the dragon tattoo but it wasn't the full version so a little disappointed.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • bushbaby1103
    • By bushbaby1103 19th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 7,827 Thanks
    bushbaby1103
    The best films I've seen recently are
    Hidden figures
    Arrival
    Get out
    Free state of Jones
    Birth of a nation
    The judge

the worst
    Ghostbusters (2016)
    Yes, it's true hell IS other people
    And remember the problem is them, not you.
    Devilsand demons walk among us in human form.wake up people, it's a man.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,955Posts Today

8,471Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin