Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    • 13,700Posts
    • 58,588Thanks
    I luv cats
    Have you seen any good films recently
    • 9th Jan 12, 7:50 AM
    Have you seen any good films recently 9th Jan 12 at 7:50 AM
    I recommend "Danny The Champion Of The World"

This film is really good and with some excellent actors. We read the book @ school and it was lovely to recall the memories of the book with the movie.
Page 238
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 29th Sep 16, 12:16 AM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Room (after the book) and Wild Tales (Spanish, subtitled), on prime.
    The movies could not be more different, I enjoyed them both hugely!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi

Weight Loss thread - - 10.5 kg - 2 st. Swagbucks £55 AZ, 2nd hand sales £ 11, Cash4Clothes
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 29th Sep 16, 5:33 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Currently watching Devil. Really enjoying it.
    Originally posted by Missli
    Yes, I liked that too, I watched it again when it was on the other night.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 29th Sep 16, 6:00 PM
    • 8,012 Posts
    • 7,285 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Hell or High Water An excellent "modern Western" in which an aging Texas Ranger (Jeff Bridges) pursues two young bank robbers through poverty-stricken West Texas.

The Magnificent Seven Adequate remake of the classic Western, with Denzel Washington. Peter Saarsgard makes an excellent Bad Guy.

Was spoiled slightly for me by the picture being too far zoomed-in. (Thanks Cineworld).
    "He knows more about the UK TV Licence than anyone I've ever met".
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 30th Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Last night I needed something mindless and a bit shoot-em-up, just to stop my brain from turning over and over so I watched

Command Kill.

Just what I needed. Watchable.
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 30th Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 13,700 Posts
    • 58,588 Thanks
    I luv cats
    ' 31 ' (2016)

Enjoyable madness

Some barking mad characters

Not for the faint hearted

Rented on itunes
    • Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 30th Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 2,005 Posts
    • 3,340 Thanks
    Spidernick
    After sending this clip round at work as a joke (one of my favourite movie moments)

I thought I'd re-watch the whole film.

I'd forgotten just how good it was: funny, sad, uplifting, to name just three attributes. It also had some great performances by the leads and, of course, perhaps the funniest quote about women ever:

Well worth seeing (again) and so much better than Titanic, which somehow won the Best Picture award that year (the marvellous L.A. Confidential was also apparently not as good as the winner either!).
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse)

Note: I was one of the 48.1%, so please don't blame me!
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 1st Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    ' 31 ' (2016)

Enjoyable madness

Some barking mad characters

Not for the faint hearted

Rented on itunes
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    Took your suggestion and watched this last.

Quite an accurate review, but all you could have just said that Malcolm MacDowell is in it.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 1st Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Spidernick, I do like As Good As it Gets. My favourite is when he introduces Carol to Simon with "Carol the waitress, Simon the fag".
    • Judi
    • By Judi 1st Oct 16, 10:57 PM
    • 13,721 Posts
    • 53,429 Thanks
    Judi
    Watched the film San Andreas earlier. I cant remember the last time i watched a film all the way though but it was a disaster film and i do love a good disaster film.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 2nd Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 13,700 Posts
    • 58,588 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Watchmen (2009)

Bearable but soooo long.

Some great visuals and action moves (but not enough)

NowTV
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 3rd Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 8,012 Posts
    • 7,285 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Free State of Jones Outstanding - a genuinely watchable and compelling historical film. Matthew McConaughey is perfect for the role of Newton Knight - a man who led a rebellion against the Confederacy during the US civil war.

The Girl with all the Gifts After all the hype, I have to say that I found this a little disappointing. It's just another Zombie movie - a British one, yes, but lacking anything more than that to make it stand out from the now massive Zombie oeuvre.

Like The Magnificent Seven, above, my viewing was slightly distracted by questionable Cinema presentation choices - in this case the painfully loud soundtrack.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 04-10-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    • Missli
    • By Missli 4th Oct 16, 9:43 AM
    • 6,758 Posts
    • 16,185 Thanks
    Missli
    Had a huge film session Sunday. Among them some obscure titles, plus a couple I really enjoyed.

Sightseers - seen before and loved, really dark humour, with bizarre comic moments
    The Green Inferno - Gruesome with a few bits of strange humour. Worth watching, but the ending was a bit puzzling
    Only Lovers Left Alive - Great film, brilliant soundtrack, cool looking. Again seen before but worth seeing again.
    Mindscape - Excellent
    Alleluia - Really bizarre, strangely watchable, although the characters were horrible. Let down by the ending. Think more about style than substance.

Can't remember the others. We were recovering from a night out!
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 4th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 13,700 Posts
    • 58,588 Thanks
    I luv cats
    Some Kind Of Hate (2015)

Not bad, bizarre film on NowTV

Love a good revenge film

Took a bit of time to get going though.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Oct 16, 1:58 PM
    • 8,012 Posts
    • 7,285 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Deepwater Horizon - True story disaster movie with Mark Wahlberg. Very good.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 7th Oct 16, 10:19 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Life Animated - I was lucky to get to see a preview of this in an exclusive club. It's a documentry about a boy (now man) who has autism and he understands the world through disney movies, his whole family is featured and talk about their struggles as well as his. Very touching yet inspiring. It's out around December.

The girl on the train - As I've recently read the book, watching the movie is not the same as I knew exactly what was about to happen. Still worth watching though.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 8th Oct 16, 12:16 AM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Amazon Instant rental). This really is a mash up of a gentile English period drama and a slasher zombie film. If you're not convinced then I can confirm it's great fun. The highlight is Matt Smith as the bumbling Mr Collins. The plot follows P&P pretty closely for the first 2/3 and then goes all apocalyptic, but it has got everything, including the delicious marriage proposals and rejections, and kick-a-ss fighting. Highly recommended but not for the kids.
    • Tighter Than A Ducks Bum
    • By Tighter Than A Ducks Bum 8th Oct 16, 7:27 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Tighter Than A Ducks Bum
    The Infiltrator (2016)

A U.S. Customs official uncovers a money laundering scheme involving Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1355631/

Starring Bryan Cranston.

I found it online.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 8th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 3,725 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    minimad1970

The girl on the train - As I've recently read the book, watching the movie is not the same as I knew exactly what was about to happen. Still worth watching though.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    Or if it was an English film..
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 8th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 13,700 Posts
    • 58,588 Thanks
    I luv cats
    BLACK MASS 2015

Sooooo Boring gave up

===========================================

Alice in Wonderland 2010

Not too bad some fun characters

NowTV
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th Oct 16, 10:07 AM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Kung Fu Panda 3 (Amazon Instant rental): Not quite as good as the previous 2 but still hilarious and with stunning animation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

3,288Users online

Martin's Twitter