Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    missmadness
    Moben kitchens ripped me off!
    • 8th Feb 07, 4:28 PM
    Moben kitchens ripped me off! 8th Feb 07 at 4:28 PM
    Hi there

I was wondering if I could get some advice. Basically had a saleman from Moben round before christmas to design and price up new kitchen. He asked my husband and I if we wanted to pay for it through finance but we told him we had the cash and would pay for it in one go. He then went on to offer us a further discount if we signed up to finance. I asked him what early repayment penalties we would incur and he said one month's interest which would be about 85. As this was less than the discount offered, we decided to go for it. However, when I went to pay off the balance once the kitchen had been fitted I was told we owed an extra 288. This was 65 admin costs, 124 interest for one month, plus a further 99 for interest accrued in the 28 days notice period we had to give GE Money to terminate the contract. Have since be told (but not sure if correct) that the FSA say that it is an offence to offer enticement to customers to sign up for credit agreements. I wrote a letter to moben head office to complain but was told it was our fault for not reading the small print. I phoned Consumer direct who said I could take them to the small claims court but it's our word against theirs that they offered us a discount. We could supply the court with a bank statement to prove we had the funds to pay for the kitchen but this is not conclusive proof. Also, the court could argur that we should have read the contract fully. However, we didn't get the contract until a week before the kitchen was to be installed. Is there anything I can do? I am so annoyed that the salesman will have earnt himself a nice little commission from the finance agreement, but the discount he fraudently offered is pretty much cancelled out by the extra admin costs we have to pay.

Thanks for listening!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter