Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Can I sign off Jobseekers Allowance online? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I sign off Jobseekers Allowance online?
Views: 55,939
# 1
jay_bee
Old 08-01-2012, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Can I sign off Jobseekers Allowance online?

When I signed on a few weeks back, I was told that I could sign off online. They know I start work tomorrow but I couldn't hand in my book on Friday due to my mothers ongoing illness for which they don't give a monkey's....

Does anyone know how or where I can do this online? I have searched and searched but I am not really good with working the internet..

I would greatly appreciate any help, advice or websites. I thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Tigsteroonie
Old 08-01-2012, 1:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If they do offer this, it would have to be a relatively new service - certainly couldn't do it 18 months ago.

I signed off by completing the appropriate section of the signing-on card and then posting it to them.
Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

The only way is UP!
# 3
jay_bee
Old 08-01-2012, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yes, it is very recent because this was not an option for me in September when I signed off. I specifically asked about it because I applied for my JSA online.
# 4
agrinnall
Old 08-01-2012, 1:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I can't find anything on DirectGive to suggest it's possible to end a JSA claim online, everything about change of circustance says you have to contact your jobcentre. If it is something new then they've got it well hidden at the moment!
# 5
HappyMJ
Old 08-01-2012, 1:34 PM

You can sign off by post.
# 6
sarahsaving
Old 08-01-2012, 1:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

it's dangerous doing that kind of thing online. Much safer that they see you face to face, ensure you are the person you say you are and officially sign you off.
# 7
jay_bee
Old 08-01-2012, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unfortunately I am outside the country for the next few months. I really don't want to give my mother the task of getting it to the post office. It seems like this is the only way.

However, I remember 100% that the woman in the Job Centre told me this. Hopefully this will help other people if not me.
# 8
jay_bee
Old 08-01-2012, 2:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have searched too but the searches are too polluted with garbage. It should be on the main JSA page... but that would be too easy lol
# 9
cheekyweegit
Old 08-01-2012, 2:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you don't sign off there is a risk you will lose any money which is due to you up to the day before you start work (today).

Please complete your ES40 card or write a letter confirming you want to sign off and why, stating your employers name, contact details and start date and the last day you want to claim JSA. This date is the day before you start work, not the Friday before which many people get confused about.

Try and get your ES40 / letter in before your next sign on day, if it's not in before then or within 5 working days your claim will be closed for failing to attend (FTA) and you will lose any money which is due to you.

Hope this helps and good luck with the job.

Edit - does your job centre have an external post box in their front door which you can pop it in? Might be worth while checking just in case, failing that send it recorded delivery, you can post it from any where, even an airport.
# 10
Adereterial
Old 08-01-2012, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You can't do it online - yet.

You can, however, do it by telephone. You should have been given the number when your claim started, but if not, call the Jobcentre and they will give you the right number to call.
# 11
PoorCharleyBear
Old 08-01-2012, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_bee View Post
Unfortunately I am outside the country for the next few months. I really don't want to give my mother the task of getting it to the post office. It seems like this is the only way.
If you are leaving the country for work, just stick your signoff claim in a postbox which is always present at a departure point- ferry terminal, Eurostar terminal, airport. You just stick the page in an envelope, address it, stick a stamp on it and away you go- simple. I did this in August.
# 12
karenx
Old 08-01-2012, 6:53 PM

If you are out of the country why are you claiming jsa?
# 13
looby75
Old 08-01-2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenx View Post
If you are out of the country why are you claiming jsa?
he said he's out of the country for the next few months and he's trying to sign off.

Maybe his new job isn't in the UK.

# 14
chemistryboy
Old 08-01-2012, 8:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

When I got all my paper work, I was given a small pamphlet called 'starting work' with a phone number and an e-mail address for signing off. I suspect this is just for my area but if you check with your job centre and get the same information.
For information the phone number I have is 01935 463240 and the e-mail is
WESSEX.INTOWORKNOTIFICATIONS@JOBCENTREPLUS.GSI.GOV .UK not sure if this is case sensitve or they just like to shout online but this is how it appears on the pamphlet.
They need to know: full name and address, national insurance number, date of birth, date you are starting work, employers name and address + telephone number, number of hours working. Hope this helps
# 15
FedUpWithIt
Old 30-06-2012, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I was given this 'starting work' leaflet too to sign off online the other day..same details and yet cant find it anywhere and the phone number isnt available on weekends and i start work monday..great system..lol..
# 16
epitome
Old 30-06-2012, 3:26 PM

You should sign off the day before you leave the UK, have you left the UK yet? When do you leave the UK?

You can complete the ES40 (signing on card) and hand deliver it to the jobcentres letterbox.

You only have 5 working days to sign off, and you should double check within those 5 days by phone to make sure it has been actioned, and ask the person you speak to their name and ask them to put a note on your file of the phonecall (but pigs will fly first)
# 17
karenh42
Old 19-09-2012, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I dont really get on with my local JSA office, on account of, i don't actually like being treated like dirt. I need to sign off, but can't find the whole online thing........can someone please give a link?
# 18
LONDONLAUS
Old 12-02-2013, 9:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Chemistryboy is correct you have to put eg: woolwich.endmyclaim@dwp.gsi.gov.uk then you email them and get a reply and have to fill out one of the ofrms they send attached and return by e-mail. Every town is different so put your town where you sign on's name instead of woolwich which mine is.
# 19
MrsGlitz
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I signed off a month ago to claim ESA and had to post my form in, I couldn't even sign off over the telephone and there was certainly no option to email! The lady I spoke said I HAD to send the form in. Despite my husband signing off by telephone six months ago. They seem to change their minds when it suits.
# 20
ditzyat50
Old 13-02-2013, 11:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you just don't turn up for your usual sign on then I believe after 5 days that your JSA claim is automatically stopped. Obviously you won't get your usual 2 weeks money. Maybe giving them a ring the day before you start work would be the best option?