IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tesco or Asda??
Views: 12,653
# 1
tintingirl
Old 05-01-2012, 9:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Tesco or Asda??

Hi all

I always shop in Tesco as it is near my house, although when I do go to Asda (about 10 miles away) it seems much cheaper.

Asda have just started deliveries to my area and I wonder if it is worth starting to do my bigger shops from them online? And will the savings outweigh the loss of clubcard vouchers (currently around 150 per year) and delivery cost?

I'm just starting on a DMP and have 350 in the food budget for me and two children (although the eldest eats as much as a grown man!)

Any thoughts?
LBM: 1/1/12
Debts @ LBM: 43,546 Debts now: 21,162
Proud (and a bit scared) to be dealing with my debts!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to tintingirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
pawsies
Old 05-01-2012, 9:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Asda don't have a loyalty card but are considerably cheaper so you will probably save more money and won't be restricted as to what you can spend your money on unlike the clubcard.
Personally I find Asda food to be better quality although don't buy asda smartprice cheese. It depends what you like it's probably worth a shot to do a shopping list for both stores and go on mysupermarket.com and work out how much you'd save if you went to asda rather than tesco (or if you save anything, depends what you buy).
Asda do seem to have better deals than Tesco and Tesco has been noticed by many in its price rises.

It's really up to you, worth trying different shops though. It's not going to harm you
The Following User Says Thank You to pawsies For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ladylouise62
Old 05-01-2012, 10:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Tesco seems to be a lot more 'tricksy' with its pricing, so probably ASDA.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladylouise62 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
nomorebrands
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If you shop in Tesco cos it is near your house then you are missing out. Unfortunately so is my butcher and my baker, because Tesco is the one place I avoid and they are close to my home. My supermarkets of choice are Aldi and Lidl now, and my bank balance is so much healthier than it was before. I wish people would stop crawling the isles of Tesco and Asda for silly things like 6p Andrex and try to work out how brands have cost so many of us so much money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomorebrands For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
tintingirl
Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'd happily regularly shop in Aldi or Lidl as I'm not fussy about brands at all, but there just isn't one close to me so I only visit Aldi every now and again, and do try and buy things like wine in bulk from there. The only supermarkets in my town are Tesco (x2) or Sainsburys. I don't eat meat and have a breadmaker so don't need a butcher or a baker, just a cheap supermarket!

The 20 mile round trip to Asda or the 30 mile round trip to Aldi costs loads in petrol, and also in time (as I work full time and am a single Mum of two busy boys). But now the online/delivery option is available from Asda to my postcode I thought it might be a better option than Tesco. Online shopping also removes temptation.....
LBM: 1/1/12
Debts @ LBM: 43,546 Debts now: 21,162
Proud (and a bit scared) to be dealing with my debts!
# 6
nomorebrands
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I too have to consider petrol, but I still think it is worth the effort to do a non brand shop and compare costs. I am still working on the snobbishness of my children who are a bit iffy about it (although I do not include you in that in any way). If you can do the wine, take your time and see what you save.
# 7
Makeandsave
Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have Iceland/Farmfoods/Heron foods/Tescos/Lidls within 2 mins of walking so i shop a little at each. Adsa would cost me 4.50 to get there and back.
# 8
yertiz
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I regularly shop online between Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys. I have to say that Asda are not always on time with delivery as on a couple of occasions they have arrived after the allocated 2 hour time slot, they also left a bag with dog food (not mine). Tesco always on time and after you select a 2 hour time slot say 2-4pm they will text you in the morning to tell you within the hour say 2.15-3.15. With Sainsburys you select a 1 hour time slot. Sorry, going off a bit there, but as to saving money I do find Asda slightly cheaper and of course depends on what you buy. The delivery costs with all of them are cheaper early on in the week so look at their websites as you could save money there. Hope that helps.
# 9
lilac_lady
Old 06-01-2012, 3:20 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Tescos or Asda? No thanks.
" The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilac_lady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
MattLFC
Old 06-01-2012, 5:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Tesco for range of products, and quality of their Value range, Asda for actually having the products in stock (Tesco seems terrible for running out of stock).

Both seem the same pricewise, and both seem to have lots of stupid pricing tricks, as bad as each other generally.

Personally, I shop there only for the odd item if I'm nearby, preferring Lidl (handy cos its just down the road from my apartment, have a small Co-op even closer, but 57x the price for the same tat lol), Cooltrader, Home Bargains, Farmfoods (fantastic little shop, dirt cheap for branded and quality stuff), Iceland etc...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattLFC For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Clowance
Old 06-01-2012, 7:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

why not use my supermarket and if there are things cheaper in tesco leave them off your online shop and pop in to tesco for just those items, buying the rest from Asda.
Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
# 12
luckymannn
Old 06-01-2012, 8:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've recently switched from ASDA to Tesco only because I was fed up of bumping into people I don't get on with.
They are about the same distance from my house.

Things I've noticed...

Tesco deals arent as good (2 for 1's are no good for me really, eg: philadelphia cheese deal at tesco would be 2 for 1, where as at ASDA they would just reduce the price of 1 to a quid) (also, they NEVER seem to have any deals on multipack crisps at tesco)
ASDA stock levels were always rubbish (regularly empty shelf of the things i wanted).
ASDA fresh fruit and veg seemed to go off a lot quicker than what tescos does?

I think overall it still comes to about the same money each week anyway, they balance each other out.
# 13
kippers
Old 06-01-2012, 9:30 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I used to just shop at tesco but now i use 'my supermarket' to compare the prices and i shop at tesco, asda, sainsburys and aldi...and buy what ever is cheapest in which. I take my printed list from 'my supermarket' and visit aldi first as their prices aren't on line. I do save this way and petrol is minimal beacuse i am lucky that the 4 supermarkets are all very close to us and each other. My dd is lactose intolerant and i've found they all sell different diaryfree things so i have to go to each one at sometime during the month anyway.
# 14
zippybungle
Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Smile

Out of the 2, I would prefer Asda.

Personally I like Sainsburys, which for some reason some people think it's expensive. I buy a lot of Sainsburys 'Basics' and don't think I have bought anything that we haven't liked. Not keen at all on Tesco 'Value' products. I always buy the 3 for 10 Meat at Sainsburys, Basics Fishfingers (60p), Basics Fruit & Veg, Basics 'Weetabix'

I work in Sheffield city centre and there are a lot of cheap shops there, so I buy quite a lot of things from the cheap shops such as Jack Fultons, Heron Foods, B&M and Home Bargains.

Zippy x
Busy working Mum of 3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zippybungle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
asparagusnextleft
Old 06-01-2012, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I prefer Asda - but I haven't shopped in Tesco for years now (I refuse to). My parents shop in Tesco and Mum is always complaining about the quality of the own brand products (they go to Tesco because it's easiest for them to get to on quiet-ish roads), whereas it's rare I'll have any moans with Asda own brand stuff. I buy plenty of Smartprice and the only thing I won't buy again is the coleslaw.

It's also rare that Tesco comes up as cheapest when I check my receipt on the Asda Price Guarantee.
There is nothing better in life than writing on the sole of your slipper with a biro.....
# 16
mirrorimage0
Old 06-01-2012, 4:03 PM

there is a pricechecker for tesco and asda on line where you can get refunded if one is more expensive. im lucky here i have all the shops within a 20 min distance of each other and use them for different things, ie tesco/asda/aldis/lidls i love tesco for double the difference though and stocking up on mispriced things.

will feel hard done by when i have to return to work after maternity leave as i wont have the time for all of them again

You pop your receipt into the price checker and if Tesco was dearer you get a voucher for Just The Difference (Same applies to Asda)

https://www.tescopricecheck.com/Pric...s/Default.aspx

http://www.asdapriceguarantee.co.uk/
now proud mum to 3 handsome boys latest one born 10/10/11

Last edited by mirrorimage0; 06-01-2012 at 4:07 PM.
# 17
thegirlintheattic
Old 06-01-2012, 4:22 PM

Asda is always about 5-6 cheaper for me even taking into account fuel costs.
Top up deposit fund: 1200/2400
Survey/Comp Earnings: ~2000
Holiday fund 2014: 0/1200
# 18
LondonDreamer
Old 06-01-2012, 5:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowance View Post
why not use my supermarket and if there are things cheaper in tesco leave them off your online shop and pop in to tesco for just those items, buying the rest from Asda.
This.

I don't have an ASDA nearby so don't have the choice, but I did compare on My Supermarket for a full month's shopping list the other day (the Cheap Family Recipes one) and A came to 110 while T was 105. So I think it depends what you buy, and what items are on offer that week.
# 19
sweetilemon
Old 06-01-2012, 8:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I prefer tesco. I think ASDA has some good deals and I like the extra special wine usually around 4 but i always think they are a bit more 'family focused' with huge packs and BOGOFs. I like tescos finest range which is well priced depending what you buy and the value soft cheese. Im not brand loyal at all, just buy whatever is best priced for the quality.
# 20
Obviously the best
Old 06-01-2012, 8:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Obviously the best Send a message via Skype™ to Obviously the best

Deffo ASDA, all their own brand food is so much nicer than Tesco, and cheaper too
OTB

Always happy to help (ba-da-ba-ba-ba ching ching)