Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    • 7,156Posts
    • 34,739Thanks
    brizzledfw
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!
    • 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??! 5th Jan 12 at 3:32 PM
    Hello

I have decided to start a diary. Have lurked on here since early 2009, subscribed to loads of threads, loved all the camaraderie and found it very useful for getting shot of debt, starting savings and all that kind of good stuff but then have slipped and skidded into more debt, especially as I left a FT job this spring and yet seem to be still living as if I was FT and not PT...loving feeling more human though and seeing more of the kids but financially it's not great. I need to welcome and appreciate living a much more frugal life.

HOWEVER..even writing that seems bonkers as for a household we are well off with an embarrassingly high income of about 90k gross. But clearly as the newly updated signature shows there is no hiding that we (OH, me and 2 DDs) are living beyond our means, failing to prioritise the right things and generally need to rectify all this otherwise, well no otherwise, it simply can't continue. All the savings and OP pot will go and I won't be able to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore which is what I think I have been doing.. Not sure ( which is also embarrassing ) but must have been plus then started to use the 0% credit cards again which can be a slippery slope if not used properly.

I am going away now to do some more on why I have got myself into this mess, ensure I am clear there is no going back and also what my goals are. Hoping this will help me focus and as you guys ( hope you're reading are such a supportive bunch on here I am hoping you will also help me! But even if no one reads, I think I need the discipline of sticking to a programme..I can't afford to slip again. This needs to be a new permanent way of life. Currently we try and do all the things that make us feel good about ourselves, the world, the environment, our family..but perhaps we can't do it all and need to make choices? I guess everyone must but we have just not had to as yet.

So a few things to do. Sorry for rambling first post but I needed to take the first step!! Which also reminds me must check out the 'what DFW things have you done today' thread..that used to be magic. Used to love doing that 'stock take' every day

Onwards and upwards

Cheers

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
Page 213
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st Aug 17, 8:47 AM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,295 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

Not as exciting as your pizza's but I did buy 3 bags of parsnips for 5p each

Tilly xxxx
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    I *adore* the important things we talk about on MSE But Tills, how are ya gonna cook them??? We need to know Brizzle half price pizzas are always to be snaffled, and never to be sniffed at especially when coming home from hols

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 31st Aug 17, 3:31 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 86,522 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    I *adore* the important things we talk about on MSE But Tills, how are ya gonna cook them??? We need to know Brizzle half price pizzas are always to be snaffled, and never to be sniffed at especially when coming home from hols

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    I'm whispering.......... I'm going to peel, quarter, par boil for 5 mins then freeze flat. Once frozen pack up for Christmas Day. I'm having a houseful

OK not exciting but the saving of >£1.20 is the equivalent of a pot of cream

Gotta get your kicks where you can xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 31st Aug 17, 4:33 PM
    • 4,554 Posts
    • 26,678 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I made some parsnip soup from a Jamie O recipe, it took two bags of parsnips. I couldn't face them again for ages afterwards.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st Aug 17, 4:37 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,295 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I'm whispering.......... I'm going to peel, quarter, par boil for 5 mins then freeze flat. Once frozen pack up for Christmas Day. I'm having a houseful
    Oooh, spiffing

OK not exciting but the saving of >£1.20 is the equivalent of a pot of cream

Gotta get your kicks where you can
    xxx
    Only on MSE would Yellow Stickers prompt this kinda sentence

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 31st Aug 17, 5:27 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,739 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    I adore them.. especially doused in maple syrup at Christmas

Just back from a Waitrose shop whilst waiting for DD1 at the dentist.. a few bargains but again dinner is quick and easy and DD1 is making it to make up for cutting our day out short by needing the dentist (iyswim) so v happy. And much cheaper than a takeaway which is what my less MSE family were saying.. the horror!!!

May also continue the holiday with a cheeky glass of vino with my OH. We have had some challenges in the last month so much talking needed. Or is it any excuse???! He has also purchased a Sodastream for some bubbles.. did some research and got the cheapest one via the manufacturer. We are feeling very retro and looking forward to that
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 31-08-2017 at 5:30 PM.
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st Aug 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,295 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Brizzie - forgot to say earlier, I was pondering about not having heard anything from the credit card lot, regarding CCP. Questionnaire plops through the letter box today. So at least they are not ignoring me

Yet.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Aug 17, 9:16 PM
    • 48,525 Posts
    • 178,638 Thanks
    beanielou
    'Tis cold here today.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 31st Aug 17, 9:18 PM
    • 48,525 Posts
    • 178,638 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oohg used to love my sodastream
    I love curried parsnip soup
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 1st Sep 17, 7:51 AM
    • 7,733 Posts
    • 22,021 Thanks
    jwil
    Yay to sodastream! I was so jealous of people who had them when I was a kid

Have a good weekend.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 4th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    We love our soda stream but sainsbobs stopped doing the gas. We've just realised Argos do but it's £4 more!
    Create credit card buffer fund £12.93/£1000 1.4%paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 5th Sep 17, 7:29 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    All ok Brizz? You've gone all quiet. Missing your posts. xxxx
    MFW 2017 challenge (No.39) £4,212.00 / £3,450.00 (122.09%)
    MFW 2016 challenge (No. 39) £3,791.00 / £3,300.00 (114.88%)
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 6th Sep 17, 7:07 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,739 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hello folks!! All good here just back off hols last week and RL especially work is crashing back in... Beautiful day today in the southwest though as I start my commute in so that's a pleasant start to the day.

Thanks for popping by. Love the SS - have soda water today for work as well as my green tea. Also third day of cycling to station so virtuous dial set at high Haven't done the monthly round up yet.. and need to set new targets. Got spendy towards end of month. Will see how much that affected the savings rates. Done TTs though and new mortgage going through.

Have a great day everyone

X
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 6th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 5,954 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi brizzle - I've finally caught up with your diary after being away for a while. All going well for you and plenty of nice food all round as usual!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Sep 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,295 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    brizzle - thinking about the $0da $treem - am I imagining it, or did I read on Frugalwoods that she and her hubby had done a 'hack' so that their SS ran on gas, but not the 'adds up to expensive' little capsules of gas that are supplied with the thing? I can't imagine that SS''s in the US are that different to ones supplied in the EU, but I can't remember what gas canister they used and how they did it. She has mentioned it several times though.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 6th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,739 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Lovely to I see you SSG

GP - you're right. They do a hack using the huge bottles of gas plugged into their little soda stream. There is a post on it somewhere - from last year? Just guess I am not convinced that my kitchen will benefit from a big gas bottle stuck in it.. from the photos she's in a roomy homestead with much less clutter

There was a post today so will be catching up on her doings soon. She's a legend

Gotta run for the train (cheaper than a gym )
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,295 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

GP - you're right. They do a hack using the huge bottles of gas plugged into their little soda stream. There is a post on it somewhere - from last year? Just guess I am not convinced that my kitchen will benefit from a big gas bottle stuck in it.. from the photos she's in a roomy homestead with much less clutter
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Oh lawks! no, not at all - I remember her referencing it, but had never read the piece. I thought she just meant a gas bottle bigger than the 'capsules'. Gosh, totally agree - you'd have to get through alotta soda to make that worthwhile - sorry!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 6th Sep 17, 6:54 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,739 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Not at all.. somewhere there is a photo (note to self do i spend too much time on American frugalista sites ) and it's a fairly big tank.

Have a great evening. Anything nice for tea? You usually make it all look so good. We are having jacket potatoes. Too pooped to do anything else...
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 6th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,295 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

Have a great evening. Anything nice for tea? You usually make it all look so good.
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Mushroom stroganoff to use up the last of the frozen red wine and some yoghurt - served with basmati, as it is 'with rice Wednesday'

Just waiting for DH to finish putting BG to bed before I add the yoghurt though - don't want stone cold stroganoff

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 7th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,739 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Post above reported as spam...(let's stick to mushroom stroganoff chat!! Sounds great )
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 7th Sep 17, 7:02 AM
    • 3,914 Posts
    • 43,295 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I've reported too.

But how funny that a veggie tea wins out over 'spam, spam, spam, wonderful spppaaaaammm' (monty python joke....... )

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

7,732Users online

Martin's Twitter