Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    • 7,086Posts
    • 34,250Thanks
    brizzledfw
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!
    • 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??! 5th Jan 12 at 3:32 PM
    Hello

I have decided to start a diary. Have lurked on here since early 2009, subscribed to loads of threads, loved all the camaraderie and found it very useful for getting shot of debt, starting savings and all that kind of good stuff but then have slipped and skidded into more debt, especially as I left a FT job this spring and yet seem to be still living as if I was FT and not PT...loving feeling more human though and seeing more of the kids but financially it's not great. I need to welcome and appreciate living a much more frugal life.

HOWEVER..even writing that seems bonkers as for a household we are well off with an embarrassingly high income of about 90k gross. But clearly as the newly updated signature shows there is no hiding that we (OH, me and 2 DDs) are living beyond our means, failing to prioritise the right things and generally need to rectify all this otherwise, well no otherwise, it simply can't continue. All the savings and OP pot will go and I won't be able to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore which is what I think I have been doing.. Not sure ( which is also embarrassing ) but must have been plus then started to use the 0% credit cards again which can be a slippery slope if not used properly.

I am going away now to do some more on why I have got myself into this mess, ensure I am clear there is no going back and also what my goals are. Hoping this will help me focus and as you guys ( hope you're reading are such a supportive bunch on here I am hoping you will also help me! But even if no one reads, I think I need the discipline of sticking to a programme..I can't afford to slip again. This needs to be a new permanent way of life. Currently we try and do all the things that make us feel good about ourselves, the world, the environment, our family..but perhaps we can't do it all and need to make choices? I guess everyone must but we have just not had to as yet.

So a few things to do. Sorry for rambling first post but I needed to take the first step!! Which also reminds me must check out the 'what DFW things have you done today' thread..that used to be magic. Used to love doing that 'stock take' every day

Onwards and upwards

Cheers

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
Page 205
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 19th Jun 17, 10:45 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Done dear ladies..5 teenagers it is

Blimey it's scorching...very warm here even at this time of night..not that I am complaining you know..I couldn't. Just commenting
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 19th Jun 17, 10:59 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 12,356 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Done dear ladies..5 teenagers it is

Blimey it's scorching...very warm here even at this time of night..not that I am complaining you know..I couldn't. Just commenting
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Got to be in it to win it just think how many days that'll come off your mortgage

Agree on the weather, not complaining just making a statement of fact
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 20th Jun 17, 5:58 AM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Thank you PF!! We slept with the windows and curtains open to get the draught through the house and it was really nice. Hoping for another nice few days, but haven't seen the forecast.

On way to work! Must be loopy, especially considering it took me about 3 hours to get home last night with trains affected by signalling and the hot weather. I ask you!! I am cycling to the station consistently now to try and get some movement into my bones on a daily basis. Really lovely actually. Like today - no one in sight - had the cycle path to myself. As it's mainly off-road you could almost believe you were in the countryside

A NSD yesterday - yay!! And an AFD yesterday so will update signature. And a grand TT of 29p. Wow, last of the big transactors me!! But the bank account is so low there is no wriggle room at all - every last scrap is going into OPs and paying down the final cards (oh and a Tax Fund - learnt my lesson!!)

X
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 20-06-2017 at 6:06 AM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jun 17, 7:12 AM
    • 47,244 Posts
    • 169,819 Thanks
    beanielou
    It will be worth it. ����
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Jun 17, 9:01 AM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hello folks

Quick update as I have the day off..much needed to draw breath and catch up on some domestic stuff

So far:

- cooked DD a birthday breakfast - really lovely start to the day
    - packed up 4 EBay parcels
    - shopping list so don't buy anything extra unless its yellow sticker
    - OH away at the weekend for a fairly long stint so need to meal plan otherwise will be carnage
    - cooking up a ham from the freezer for easy weekend meals (NL's festive ham..its lush)
    - chicken stock boiling away at the mo too
    - money shuffle has taken place as its Friday - rounded down to the nearest hundred so £44.77 Tilly Tidy Go me..

Plans for rest of the day/this weekend:

- exercise
    - have a social time with friends this evening
    - do some paid work and set myself up for next week
    - tidy house and do some cleaning
    - review YNAB and set up the goals so I don't forget payments etc

I am also trying to get inspiration from the Louise Parker exercise/recipe book - I am following most of it, but finding that my social life seems to bar me from the alcohol free bit . But the exercise and food angle going well, and I certainly warm to the idea of a lifestyle philosophy rather than a diet...long term change is the game. I am cycling and walking much more, which makes me feel better and also gives me time to think. The digital detox after 9 and trying to get 7 hours sleep a night are proving hard but I know they will benefit me in the long run.

Have a good day folks xx
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 23-06-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 23rd Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 8,146 Posts
    • 45,028 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Happy Birthday DD! Hope you all have a lovely day Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in September- 3/5
    Lbs lost 7.5/107.
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 23rd Jun 17, 2:26 PM
    • 7,744 Posts
    • 86,419 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Love the NL festive ham

Have a great weekend xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    It's a great recipe..

I also made an apple and almond cake. 8 eggs! Good job we have chooks.. should share it with you Pooh bear.. it's lush. Another NL one. I had a slice with LO orange sauce from a Turkish yoghurt cheesecake I made at the weekend. Gorgeous if I say so myself.

In breaking news H7lifax seem to be doing a great deal on my Clarity card which I use if we're abroad. 0% for 9 months on purchases. Very handy. Plan to use it for the big trip this Christmas. Woohoo. Line was very busy to get through.. am not surprised. Seems an excellent arrangement (as long as you pay it off in full in April which will be fine- I will put the necessary payments into YNAB).

Also stuffed with Mrs Frugalwoods rice and beans. It's a good recipe, wholesome but tasty and SOOOOO cheap. Everyone out so risotto was scrapped.. Couldn't be bothered to do it just for myself!!
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 24-06-2017 at 1:03 AM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 23rd Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 23,352 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Can recommend making risotto with pearl barley which is much cheaper and just as nice.

All sounding good, have a fab weekend xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot £612.20
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 24th Jun 17, 1:04 AM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Thanks SA - that's a great idea. Will try for sure

Xx
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 26th Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    A good weekend.

Highlights included dinner with family to celebrate DD's birthday, 2 exercise classes, an AFD, decluttering of 5 more items, lots of planning for our Antipodean trip with some hotels booked entirely on Avios points - has to be a bonus from OH being away so much - this is probably it.

Also mundane stuff you understand like cleaning out chickens and nagging girls to tidy their rooms so not 100% fun fun fun

Busy week this week but will try and keep in touch.

Have a good week all

Xx
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 26th Jun 17, 7:25 AM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 12,356 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    A good weekend.

Highlights included dinner with family to celebrate DD's birthday, 2 exercise classes, an AFD, decluttering of 5 more items, lots of planning for our Antipodean trip with some hotels booked entirely on Avios points - has to be a bonus from OH being away so much - this is probably it.

Also mundane stuff you understand like cleaning out chickens and nagging girls to tidy their rooms so not 100% fun fun fun

Busy week this week but will try and keep in touch.

Have a good week all

Xx
    Sounds good Brizzle well done on the 2 x class. Thanks for the challenge, did my two albeit didn't get to the gym but still it was exercise. Definitely helped knowing I was accountable

Planning sounds fun too enjoy your week. Purps.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 26th Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Ha speedy PF!! You got there first.. was planning to ignore the work I should be doing on the train and instead catch up.. but I did some admin instead. It was a good incentive - thank you PF - it meant I avoided a cheeky cider in the garden yesterday and instead battled another class... not as crazy as Saturday but she made us hold all the big poses for a long time.. Should have added to the message re the weekend that I sorted the car tax and got a 50% (yes you read that right) reduction on the stupid car insurance renewal quote I was sent. Used ComparetheMark4t which had all my details saved and so it was very very easy. Surprisingly so - had expected it to be a real bore. I did enjoy telling the old company why I was not renewing.. they did not even bother to try and change my mind should now use the cinema tickets offer on Wednesdays too
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 47,244 Posts
    • 169,819 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a lovely weekend
    Impressed with the car insurance.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 23,352 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Great news about car insurance. How good is it to tell old insurer no thanks I got a better deal and they know they can't beat it, love it

Have a good week xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot £612.20
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • jwil
    • By jwil 28th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 7,570 Posts
    • 21,002 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on car insurance

Hope your week is not too busy.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 28th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hello folks

Crazy busy week at work with lots of travel. But all OK, did an exercise class, managed an AFD and a NSD today..whoop. Used TCB for a train ticket for weekend.

Also screened out of a PC survey, less good.

Not so many TTs being done, hoping to do a money shuffle again on Friday

Hope everyone's OK
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 28-06-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 29th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Well another crazy busy day but escaping now. Was worried I wouldn't make it home in one piece so bought an M&S salads and some fruit. Did use my M&S CC and Sparks card for points tho. It also means I miss the kids buying fish and chips so whilst not entirely MSE probably much healthier! In the old days I would have taken them out to dinner so baby steps

Small TT of 95p... and I can pay myself tomorrow. Life could be very much worse
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 7,570 Posts
    • 21,002 Thanks
    jwil

Also screened out of a PC survey, less good.
    I didn't realise that was possible
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 30th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 7,086 Posts
    • 34,250 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    I know...has only happened twice, but bit of a pain.

Another very very loooong day, but heading home now and planning to do an exercise class..PF you up for that?? (Will pop over to yours and ask politely ) Then up to a friend's for a catch up.

Just need to sleep today and not drink. Need to start posting some more items on EBay too. Also need to plan as the students start arriving - so maybe some batch cooking and meal planning is in order.

Will breathe and then assess the YNAB results. See how we did. It feels more spendy than May, but we shall see.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

394Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin