Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    • 6,632Posts
    • 31,665Thanks
    brizzledfw
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??!
    • 5th Jan 12, 3:32 PM
    LBM in 2003.. What have I been doing since??! 5th Jan 12 at 3:32 PM
    Hello

I have decided to start a diary. Have lurked on here since early 2009, subscribed to loads of threads, loved all the camaraderie and found it very useful for getting shot of debt, starting savings and all that kind of good stuff but then have slipped and skidded into more debt, especially as I left a FT job this spring and yet seem to be still living as if I was FT and not PT...loving feeling more human though and seeing more of the kids but financially it's not great. I need to welcome and appreciate living a much more frugal life.

HOWEVER..even writing that seems bonkers as for a household we are well off with an embarrassingly high income of about 90k gross. But clearly as the newly updated signature shows there is no hiding that we (OH, me and 2 DDs) are living beyond our means, failing to prioritise the right things and generally need to rectify all this otherwise, well no otherwise, it simply can't continue. All the savings and OP pot will go and I won't be able to rob Peter to pay Paul anymore which is what I think I have been doing.. Not sure ( which is also embarrassing ) but must have been plus then started to use the 0% credit cards again which can be a slippery slope if not used properly.

I am going away now to do some more on why I have got myself into this mess, ensure I am clear there is no going back and also what my goals are. Hoping this will help me focus and as you guys ( hope you're reading are such a supportive bunch on here I am hoping you will also help me! But even if no one reads, I think I need the discipline of sticking to a programme..I can't afford to slip again. This needs to be a new permanent way of life. Currently we try and do all the things that make us feel good about ourselves, the world, the environment, our family..but perhaps we can't do it all and need to make choices? I guess everyone must but we have just not had to as yet.

So a few things to do. Sorry for rambling first post but I needed to take the first step!! Which also reminds me must check out the 'what DFW things have you done today' thread..that used to be magic. Used to love doing that 'stock take' every day

Onwards and upwards

Cheers

Brizzle
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    March '17 Savings Rate Goal: 30% [Feb 25%]
    Declutter 50 items before 31.03.17 08/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 04/10 **AFDs 11/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £70 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for March 01/10
Page 195
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 9th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Thanks L..it should do..but then we need the money so I should quit moaning I guess. Just 5-6 hours of sleep a night just aint enough so getting crabby and losing perspective..

An AFD and a LSD..OH spent some money on coffee out with a friend he hasn't seen in years..thats not bad.

A few watchers on the Bay items but not holding my breath!
    Declutter 50 items before 31.03.17 08/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 04/10 **AFDs 11/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £70 so far
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 10th Mar 17, 7:48 AM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    More sleep makes me feel so much better... what a great time to wake up

£10 on Amazon.. whoop. Will update my signature. Books can take forever to sell but if they are unusual well it's worth doing.
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 10th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 6,842 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Thanks NOA! He does find it hard to see light at the end of the tunnel.. he usually assumes it's a train!
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    That made me laugh out loud
    so much for optimism - when you see light at the end of the tunnel, run the other way!

with that image in mind I shall now happily go and mop the kitchen floor.
    xx
    NOA
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>24/02/15 £71,730>> 17/02/16 £71073>>01/06/16 £68166>19/07/16 £68004=6.23%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300Jan16 £190,800 Jan17£180,700
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 10th Mar 17, 8:29 PM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 54,561 Thanks
    poohbear59
    Hi brizzled, I removed all my books from Amazon when others were selling books for 1p and I didn't think it worth my while any more. But today decided to list again. I tried a few books on 'webuybooks' and was offered 10p. I do have some unusual books so was really pleased to see you have sold one today.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Well done with Amazon and yay to decent sleep
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,950
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • jwil
    • By jwil 12th Mar 17, 8:48 AM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 19,830 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the amazon sale! I've stopped listing mine on there now, I did sell loads originally, and on ebay but I just send them off to the car boot sale now to get them shifted.

Hope you are having a good weekend!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 12th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 42,401 Thanks
    Igamogam
    - but carnage at the end hey? Assume there will be another series?
    Originally posted by brizzledfw
    Was there anybody left ??
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 12th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    I dont think so Ig...all the supporting cast demolished. But between the brooding grunting one (my OH makes that grunting 'uuuhm' sound now just to annoy me..!), the actress, a badly damaged chemist, a bloke in a frock and some other peeps pulling at sheets and clawing in sails....surely there is scope there for another series??!
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 12th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    So...no more sales, but relisted. The A7azon success is not frequent, but when it comes its handy

I am working now (taking a short break whilst my steam powered IT catches up) and OH and DD1 are starting to finally alter her room into the style she's been after for months. A trip to IKEA calls (with a strict shopping list and working to a pre-agreed budget agreed months ago) and the Freecycle account has been wakened. Nice to hear them working together - its been a tricky few days.

And..the reason its been tricky has largely about money. The overall plan for 2017 and onwards seems to have gone over OH's head and he's in the muck and grime of the panic. DDs and I desperately want to go to an overseas wedding of a dear dear friend later on this year and are prepared to sacrifice a lot to get there, without debt, and pay off the current OD and tax bill as we go. We have completely levelled with the girls, they are teenagers after all, and we are in this together. But...OH is more pessimistic and thinks we will stumble.. its understandable but I have never been more determined so his caution is well...how shall we put it..driving me up the wall. Particularly as we can, with minimal stress, save 25% of our income..not a bad omen.

So.we have had a 'Fresh Start' (lovely term) on YNAB so that the cash account and Available to Budget sums actually bear some semblance of accuracy (I could/can gloss over that column heading if the actual recording was accurate (which it is) and the reports show me what I need ..but it transpires that OH couldn't, it seriously stressed him). It means all our recorded transactions over the last few years have gone but whats important is moving forward and I was not about to set up a new budget or even use new software which is what was also suggested..

It means that I can't be as precise with my savings totals as previously but if it helps the household peace its a price worth paying.

From memory. February was good as it showed me that the Ultra Frugal Month of January could be matched or indeed superceded.

Areas where we spent too much:

- Groceries (OH has done a freezer inventory and we are focussing on that this week)
    - OH Spending Money.. he was away on trips and so brought small gifts back but also there was the bar bill...
    - Entertainment/Days out..trip to London etc and some restaurant meals

Areas where we spent below our targets:

- Council tax , water
    - Fuel
    - Kids lessons and trips (couple of things cancelled)
    - nothing on my pension

Charitable giving etc stayed around the same. Alcohol was less.

Bizarrely, despite the ups and downs being in different places we still ended up with a 25% saving rate for February as we did with Jan. I am aiming for 30% in March but am not sure..we shall see.

As we did the Fresh Start yesterday it will be hard to track March completely accurately but we have done some apportionment and I think it'll be about right. I will be earning quite a bit more this month and next, ditto OH, so that can all be put against the deep hole of debt..

Anyway..cup of tea and then more work

Love to all xx
    Last edited by brizzledfw; 12-03-2017 at 1:49 PM.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 12th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Thanks for dropping by everyone.... as always your support and wise words are always appreciated xx
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Mar 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 18,531 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    As I've said before, and I know many will agree, to save 25% of your income is very admirable. I'm happy with anything I can save. I do find that men don't seem to be as on board with money saving as women - I know there are exceptions looking at the DFW threads, but they are few and far between. Mr SA just wants to spend - I rarely discuss finances with him, never have done, he leaves it all to me. If it was left to him (both past and present him) we'd be totally skint.

I find your posts very inspiring - I think you're doing extremely well
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot £164.24
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    March AFD 3/12 NSD 3/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 12th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Bless you SA. It's very kind but hardly think I am managing like you do.. you're a marvel.

We have a large income. Believe me 25% should be easy... although our mortgage is eyewateringly high despite being on a low rate pegged to Bank of England. £1770 odd. Ouch. No wonder we have a poster on the kitchen cupboard which lists, as bricks with dates, the journey to being Mortgage free, that we host students etc. Not always easy but have to say every effort makes a difference.

It's a issue for OH to be sure. Always worse when work is hard. As it is right now with no let up in sight.,Keeping a sense of perspective becomes very very hard for him. We are away for a stay in our favourite local hotel in a fortnight, I really help that helps.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 45,738 Posts
    • 160,297 Thanks
    beanielou
    Go for the wedding.
    Life is way too short not too.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • armchairexpert
    • By armchairexpert 12th Mar 17, 11:28 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 1,734 Thanks
    armchairexpert
    When work is hard, that's when we start to think "but I put up with so much, surely I should be able to have some luxuries?". Add to that the huge changes you've made, and the long cold winter drawing to an end, and DH might just be feeling Generally Fed Up. Hopefully that'll shift soon for everyone's sakes. Ultimately, if you can pay 25% of your income to debts and keep the marital peace, that's a better long term strategy than 30% and simmering tension. But it's never that simple an equation, is it?

Good luck, you're doing excellently!
    MFW

Feb 17 -$229,371
    March 17 -$230,023
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I would go to the wedding.

Enjoy the hotel break
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,950
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 13th Mar 17, 9:12 AM
    • 876 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Sorry things have been tough Brizzle. You and your DH sound like you are normally in synch, and you've found a way through again which is the most important thing. If it makes you feel better, we are currently paying a good bit more than that on our mortgage . Admittedly we are a) overpaying a bit b) on SVR as we are selling and c) on a fairly short term; but even so it's not much off £2k a month. Scary, scary sums.

Re your savings rate, what do you include in that? For example pension payments; or do you just count what goes into a savings account? (I'm such an accountant, I can't just take it at face value )
    Owe to savings £2674/£1171.08 43.8% paid. Pay by Christmas 17

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £14,331
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 19,830 Thanks
    jwil
    Another vote for the wedding. Saving 25% is amazing
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 15th Mar 17, 12:04 AM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Thanks lovely people. Currently staying with a work friend after a storming work session so feeling energised. Not a bad thing at all

Another 2 AFDs. Will amend the signature Nothing on sales but 8 things decluttered.

Wedding will probably be sorted but giving OH some time to adjust and as 2 CC totals hit the decks today that should help loads. It's tangible. He needs that.

Re savings total MFM- simple really. Everything we spend that isn't paying off an unsecured debt. So yes any payments I make towards a savings account or a pension, food and mortgage, kids stuff - all counts as a spend.
    M
    Currently we have my tax bill still on CCs, so that's what the 25% is going on repaying. Hope to be shot of those and the OD in late Spring and then I can save for flights and top up the emergency fund and kids funds.

Hope everyone is good xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 17, 7:42 AM
    • 45,738 Posts
    • 160,297 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounds good ��
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 18th Mar 17, 9:01 AM
    • 6,632 Posts
    • 31,665 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Feels longer than usual since I posted.. but all good, just super busy. Planning to achieve quite a bit over the weekend on both paid work and admin so hope I do that and manage to follow through.

Finances in good shape. Holding the purse clamped shut and only spending when we need to. Still not sure about the contract extensions, but looks like will come off. Some of my other income generating schemes are also bearing fruit but slower than they were. Have to say though that cant do everything, particularly as working more hours on the main job. There is a limit (even for me! )

Lovely evening with friends yesterday as well as some free time with OH. He's less stressed than he was, always good.

Have a great weekend folks - will try and get around the diaries when I can.. xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,247Posts Today

9,033Users online

Martin's Twitter