Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    spike7451
    Flora Cuisine-Waste of money
    • 5th Jan 12, 3:15 PM
    Flora Cuisine-Waste of money 5th Jan 12 at 3:15 PM
    I bought a bottle of this last month &,after using it,I've found it's a waste of time & money.
    It doesn't go clear like it says on the advert &if you use it to fry eggs,you end up with a horrid sort of scummy brown mess in the frying pan!
    Whereas if I use oil to fry the eggs (The only thing I fry apart from stir fry veg) I can decant the oil into a cup & reuse it the next time I fry eggs,you cant with this & you end up using a lot more than you would think.
    Better to put the £1.73 cost towards a good bottle of olive oil...
Page 2
  • Little bit dizzy
    Can't remember my Mum ever keeping ketchup, salad cream, pickle,jam or oil in the fridge and I've survived.
    Originally posted by dianasnan
    I also bought it on offer and wasn't impressed with it. I stuck it in a spray bottle, which makes a bit better. Didn't realise it should be in the fridge though. Never mind, used it a fair bit the last 2 or 3 weeks and I'm still here... Ketchups in the cupboard too
    I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions...
  • lizzyb1812
    You can fry eggs in most vegetable oils but not olive oil, nor can you really do most cooking with olive oil as it cant get hot enough for it so food suck it up and get greasy from it.
    Originally posted by sunnyone
    Try telling a spanish housewife the above re frying in olive oil I used to live in Spain - use extra virgin for salads etc and refined olive oil for cooking. And spaniards do fry eggs. There is nothing wrong with eating fat as long as it's not "engineered" fat.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
    • terra_ferma
    • By terra_ferma 5th Jan 12, 10:26 PM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    terra_ferma
    I like the idea it may be more healthy although I do use a lot of Olive Oil as well - depends what I am cooking.
    Originally posted by Alli135
    it claims to be, but it's not actually, there are plenty of pure oils that are healthy, and also it's full of chemicals while normal oil isn't.
    I think it's they same they've done with butter, they lead us to believe that using stuff full of chemicals, hydrogenated fats and colours is good for you and butter is evil.
    • cooking-mama
    • By cooking-mama 5th Jan 12, 10:42 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    cooking-mama
    I use rapeseed oil,but rather than pour it into the frying pan i spray it in with this..http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3199/Refillable-Pump-n-Spray
    This way i can use "normal" oil,but portion control it,i realy just use enough to stop the eggs sticking.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
    • chrismbt
    • By chrismbt 7th Feb 12, 1:02 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    chrismbt
    Flora Cuisine - "45% less saturated fat than Olive Oil."
    Flora Cuisine - "45% less saturated fat than Olive Oil."

According to the bottle it contains 7.3% saturated fat, part of its 70% total fat. It contains a blend of vegetable oils (Sunflower, Rapeseed, Linseed), next ingredient is water, and then salt at 0.9%. So most of it is oil and water. It contains Emulsifiers and stabilisers, colour and preservatives. It costs £3.96/litre.

When heated it goes from opaque to clear.

Seems to me its a mixture of oil and water held together with emulsifiers. Maybe the heating drives off the water leaving just the oil, which makes it clear, and therefore higher in fat, including saturated fat, than when measured including the water.

On the other hand, Pure Rapeseed oil, often sold as "Vegetable Oil" is 7% saturated fat, and contains no water so its still 7% after you've heated it, less than Flora Cuisine. Its around 60p/litre.

Rapeseed is grown in Britain so might cut down on food miles. It has little flavour of its own and works fine for everything from deep drying to salad dressing.

Seems to me its a waste of money.
  • kittycatface
    for those of you who have kept your receipt and hated the stuff there's a mbguarantee with terms and conditions listed here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1255347
    This is one of the ones I was honest about hating in order to get my money back! Cooking on our electric hob it leaves a horrible residue on fried onions, when heating for roast potatoes there was a brown froth on the top which did not look very natural. We normally use aldi cheap olive oil and sunflower oil for roast pots so will be sticking to that in future. It's nice to know that some others thought the same as me about this product. Looks like even vernon kay and his mum can't sell this one.
    Last edited by kittycatface; 07-02-2012 at 1:28 AM. Reason: spelling!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 7th Feb 12, 1:57 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 5,711 Thanks
    MandM90
    I use olive oil for most cooking (when I use oil at all, as I mostly cook with a slow cooker, or grill so don't use any oil). You can buy decent olive oil reasonably cheaply. Stay away from 'lighter' types, they are a con, inferior products, the only 'proper' olive oil is the extra virgin type, all the others use lower quality olives and are chemically treated.

The real stuff doesn't have to cost a fortune:
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/asda-compare-prices/oils_and_vinegar/asda_extra_virgin_olive_oil_500ml.html

PS my choice is based on taste, as I mainly use oil on salads, very little for cooking (thanks to my slow cooker and g. foreman grill), the better it tastes the less I use, with other types of oil I tend to use much more because they don't taste of much.
    Originally posted by terra_ferma
    I find extra virgin doesn't hold up very much for cooking. I use it, along with walnut and avocado oil, in salads and rapeseed and groundnut oil for cooking.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • valk_scot
    I use sunflower oil for general cooking and EV or normal olive oil for salads and things like making tomato sauce where the taste is important. There's always some sort of offer on olive oil and the Lidl stuff is good too. £2 a 500ml bottle of Napolena Extra Virgin, standard or mild in Tesco atm.

What I do do though is use a lot less than in most recipes. You can fry eggs in a couple of teaspoons of oil if you've got a good frying pan, for example. If you're making a casserole or sauce and the recipe calls for four tablespoons of oil, I use one. Jamie Oiliver is obsessed with olive oil, have you noticed? He "gluggs" it over everything, willy nilly. It's really not necessary!

I just laughed at the adverts for the Flora Cuisine. It reminded me of the Sunny Delight fiasco a few years ago. Remember that? Making a synthetic, vile copy of a natural product and then attempting to persuade us by the power of advertising it was better than the real thing?
    Val.
  • Coupon Queen
    I also bought it on offer. Buy one get one free. So now I have 2 of them aaaggghhh.

Total waste of money, I wish I had read it properly before I bought them. I thought it was the spray but its just like pouring melted butter into the pan. I would not recommend ewwww :-(
    "£2012 in 2012 Challenge", £14.68/£2012"
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 7th Feb 12, 11:35 AM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 11,490 Thanks
    Bronnie
    Agree with Val, I'm trying to keep the calories down at the moment.

I just wipe round a good non-stick pan with a drop of sunflower oil and can virtually dry-fry my eggs, giving them a quick flip over at the end to cook the top of the yolk. Dry-cook scrambled eggs in the same frying-pan too.

Far more MS and healthier to cut down on sat fats and calories by using less of suitable natural products than by buying the "manufactured" solution imo.
    • terra_ferma
    • By terra_ferma 7th Feb 12, 1:04 PM
    • 5,450 Posts
    • 5,287 Thanks
    terra_ferma
    Saw the tv ad just this morning, so misleading to pass it off as healthier than OO, it really makes me angry because there are a lot of people who buy into this sort of 'health scare' messages and will buy this low fat crxp that is full of a mix of additives, chemicals, high calories, sugar etc etc
    long live butter, olive oil, anything that comes from nature rather than a chemical lab
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 7th Feb 12, 4:54 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 3,521 Thanks
    Ben84
    Rapeseed is grown in Britain so might cut down on food miles. It has little flavour of its own and works fine for everything from deep drying to salad dressing.
    Originally posted by chrismbt
    Interesting comment, because to me it has a strong unpleasant smell and taste, particularly when heated. So, I use sunflower oil instead.

As for lower fat cooking oil and spread, all that I've seen so far work by having water in them. Water is not helpful in oil, it encourages things to stick when frying and will evaporate out when heated, so it looks better on paper than in use.

I limit the amount of oil in food by deep frying in well heated oil so less soaks in and using teflon pans when shallow frying as they use much less oil. As for butter, I still eat it, just use less. A thin spreading of real butter tastes a lot better than thickly spread water filled margarine and probably isn't a massive difference in calories either.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 7th Feb 12, 8:08 PM
    • 23,095 Posts
    • 60,823 Thanks
    meritaten
    I also bought it on offer. Buy one get one free. So now I have 2 of them aaaggghhh.

Total waste of money, I wish I had read it properly before I bought them. I thought it was the spray but its just like pouring melted butter into the pan. I would not recommend ewwww :-(
    Originally posted by Coupon Queen
    you would actually be better off with the 'real' butter!

I wont use the Pseudo 'spreads or oils'. To me if something is natural and pure - it HAS to be better for you than something concocted out of a factory using gawd Knows how many chemicals and processes!

I will be sticking with my butter (used sparingly), Extra Virgin Olive Oil (not used sparingly) and my sunflower oil (deep frying).
    • LadyCoupon
    • By LadyCoupon 7th Feb 12, 9:14 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 5,173 Thanks
    LadyCoupon
    I like it too, have been using it since before christmas and it only cost me 50p.
  • Stephen Leak
    The cynic in me wondered about the amount of advertising for this stuff. I think my first suspicions may have been correct for once.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 10th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    JayD
    Flora Cuisine is NOT A WASTE OF MONEY!
    I find this is much healthier for those of us who have to avoid saturated fats as much as possible (I have a heart condition). I agree, that it is better to fry with olive oil -although it should NOT be reused once it has been heated). I pour water into my frying pan, heat the water up and cook my 'fried eggs' like that. They are really fried egg shaped poached eggs but look like fried eggs and are much healthier than frying them.

However, I use Flora Cuisine on hot toast and hot hot cross buns and find it so much tastier (and very much healthier) than the low fat spreads currently available.

I also use it for cooking pastry and cakes. Instead of rubbing in the fat, I whisk up Flora Cuisine with a little skimmed milk (using a fork to whisk it is fine) and work it into the flour with the same fork. For cakes I just squeeze some in with the beaten eggs and sugar (again with some skimmed milk) before adding the flour.

Olive oil may be a good and healthy fat with a high content of mono and polyunsaturates, and I do use it occasionally- but it is also so much higher in saturated fats than Flora Cuisine.

So you see, for at least some of us, Flora Cuisine is a very valuable, versatile and tasty alternative to much less healthy fats. It is just not ideal for frying.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 10th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    JayD
    Rapeseed oil is great fro frying - especially deep frying as it can be reused. However, it is not very nice on hot toast or hot cross buns - or for pastry and cake making! Flora Cuisine is a more than acceptable alternative to plain oil for these things. And I shallow 'fry' my eggs in water - they look like fried eggs but are as healthy as poached ones.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 4,446 Posts
    • 26,839 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Emulsions are for painting walls, lard is for frying eggs!
    I sold my only sock
    For a handshake and twenty menthol cigarettes
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 10th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 5,711 Thanks
    MandM90
    Emulsions are for painting walls, lard is for frying eggs!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Thanks for the steer Blackbeard, was wondering why our walls are so greasy!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 4,435 Posts
    • 18,531 Thanks
    Slinky
    Wow, what got your goat JayD to go and dig up this 5 year dead thread?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

950Posts Today

7,215Users online

Martin's Twitter