Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GRANDMASTERFLASH89
    WARNING: COLDCALL SCAM "The PC OUTPUT"
    • 4th Jan 12, 1:51 PM
    WARNING: COLDCALL SCAM "The PC OUTPUT" 4th Jan 12 at 1:51 PM
    Firstly I must apologise for this major rant, I tried to keep it concise but give some details - think I failed miserably. If you can't be bothered to read the entire scam. Is there anyway or anybody to report a "company" who call you from a withheld number and try to scam details from you. Or find out the number through a trace like on 24... from the phone company (o2 home phone) or Police.

Today at 13:11 I received a call from a person who had a delay on the line and an asian accent. Immediately I was suspicious as no one is aware that this line exists, not even my family it is simply there to supply broadband.

Anyway I asked the person to identify themselves and they said they were calling from, "The PC Output" and that he was getting an error message from my pc and he was going to fix it. He carried on and said my pc was sending him a message and he was calling from... Windows (amazing since that isn't as far as I'm aware a company). I told him to wait whilst I searched google for "The pc output cold call scam" to no avail.

I told him I couldn't find his company anywhere online and he said he just wants to fix my windows pc because he's had lots of error messages from my pc at this residential address. I said I don't have a pc I have an apple mac, he then went on to tell me that's not true you have a pc he went on to argue that I have a pc. I told him you are calling me a liar, and he said who is saying I am calling you a liar, I replied I am!

This went on for a while then I thought I'd change tactic very suddenly (anyone was realise I was taking the !!!!) I said oh ok how can you help me. He said you don't have to do anything I just need you to send me some details. When I asked why, he said the pc from this residential address is sending me error messages.

So I asked him what is the residential address, he went on to state 22 some road and my city but failed to say anything which made sense or that could be correct. He then went on saying that this is my address and that I am wrong and he is just calling from Windows. I asked him what's the address for the pc then, again he repeated some mumbo jumbo for me to reply I don't think that's even a word. He then said and you are Mr Sa...., I said Sam? He replied it is S-T-A-M-P. I said that is incorrect and that is not my address and I am not happy that you have called me.

He then said we get alot of incorrect details,what is your residential address (something I think alot of vulnerable people would fall for) I started laughing and said I am not that stupid. He started laughing then quite cinisterly, go on tell me your address.

He was asking me to give me details and kept saying that I was being rude to him and this was no way to speak to him that he just works for Windows and it's my fault I rang him. Obviously I told him this is no way to run a business and that I am about to call the Police so why doesn't he give me his company's phone number and address.

Amazingly he continued pestering me saying just give me you address details and I can send you our proof! This went on and on and he wouldn't give me any details so I just told him don't call me again or I'll call the Police.

Obviously tried 1471 and the number was witheld. Now can the phone company (o2) or Police get the number of who rang me? Is there a board like OFCOM one can report this to?
    I was on a bit of a roll and just wanted to get something back on the idiots who do this to people.

Again sorry for the long rant any help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

GMF
Page 1
  • scheming_gypsy
    • 4th Jan 12, 1:57 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 1:57 PM
    it's an international call so there's no point tracing it or phoning the police. The forum (vents and praise, and techie section) is littered with similar threads.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 4th Jan 12, 1:58 PM
    • 15,156 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 4th Jan 12, 1:58 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 1:58 PM
    This is a known scam. Instead of engaging them in a pointless conversation, just hang up. As the calls originate from abroad, there is nothing much either your phone company, OFCOM or the police can do (and the latter won't even be interested).
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • GRANDMASTERFLASH89
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:05 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:05 PM
    Thought as much. I usually just hang up but I was busy working and in an especially irritable mood.

Thanks again.
    • djl
    • By djl 4th Jan 12, 2:11 PM
    • 11,314 Posts
    • 17,847 Thanks
    djl
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:11 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:11 PM
    I wait until they speak then tell em to F*** off and get a proper job
    2015 wins £4.00 not mse
    2014 £44.002013 £83.00 2012 £601.50
    2011 £1554.50 2010 £698.00 2009 £2793.00
    2008 £2816.00 2007 £1034.00
    • Rex_Mundi
    • By Rex_Mundi 4th Jan 12, 2:21 PM
    • 5,237 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Rex_Mundi
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:21 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:21 PM
    Tell them you are very interested but have someone at the door so can they hold. Put the phone down on the side (don't hang up) and see how long they hold on before they hang up. I've had people waiting more than twenty minutes before they realised I wasn't coming back to the phone (I checked every five minutes or so to see if they were still on the phone). This has the advantage that while they are waiting for you, they are not trying to scam someone else.
  • texranger
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:28 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:28 PM
    i usually say this is sgt plod from UK police station how can i help you and guess what they always hang up
    • meer53
    • By meer53 4th Jan 12, 2:42 PM
    • 8,988 Posts
    • 13,050 Thanks
    meer53
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:42 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 2:42 PM
    Just tell them you don't have a PC, works for me.
  • scheming_gypsy
    • 4th Jan 12, 3:05 PM
    • 4th Jan 12, 3:05 PM
    I like asking random questions....
    what's the square root of cabbage?
    how many biscuits does it take to moon walk?
    What's my dog, Geoff, called?
    Do i like custard?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,873Posts Today

6,790Users online

Martin's Twitter