Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > divert home phone to mobile (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
divert home phone to mobile
Closed Thread
Views: 4,440
# 1
tmh
Old 16-03-2005, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default divert home phone to mobile

Hi
I divert my home phone sainsburys to my mobile vodaphone which I have to do for work ,is there a cheap way of doing this as monthly bill from sainsburys is large, TMH
# 2
Paul Varjak
Old 16-03-2005, 9:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Why not have an answerphone on home phone with your mobile number on it or sign up with 1899 and divert using 1899 Mobile number.

I assume BT will allow you to enter at least 15 digits for the divert string and they allow you to divert using override services like 1899. I cannot test this as there are no BT phone lines in Hull.

Calls to all UK mobiles using 1899 are 10p/min weekdays, 2p/min weekends plus a 3p connection charge. 1899 charges no registration fee and no rental. You just need a credit card to sign up. Once signed up, you can usually use within minutes.

If your Mobile is on an Orange contract tariff (except OVP plans) the chances are you could use 1899 to make cheap calls from your mobile too!

To sign up with 1899 go here: www.1899.com
# 3
tmh
Old 16-03-2005, 9:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Paul thanks for your help , an answerphone is no good to me as people need to speak to me straightaway, so would you ditch sainsburys for all calls and just use 1899 and are they helpful at 1899 tmh.
# 4
Paul Varjak
Old 16-03-2005, 9:35 PM

1899 is so cheap their customer service is virtually non-existent. You can only contact them via E-Mail.

Another thing to consider if incoming calls are so important is that 1899 is not the most reliable service out there. I think this is because they buy network time and once this us used you cannot make calls. If you are receiving emergency calls I would not recommend it.

For your own home phone use they are ideal. If you cannot make a call then just use your normal provider as backup. Anyway, suggest you try them for your home phone calls and get to see how reliable they are.

If you do use them for divert you should set up your 1899 account so that the Tariff message is off, otherwise people calling you will get confused!

Last edited by Paul Varjak; 16-03-2005 at 9:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
# 5
Edinburghlass
Old 17-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I would probably ditch Sainsburys for all your calls. Do you pay them a monthly fee for calls?

I would look into Onetel via Martin's thread here for free evenings and w/end UK calls for one year with a 20 credit and sign up for both 1899 for mobiles and 18866 for any daytime UK calls at 0p per minute with a 1p connection charge.
Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 6
Paul Varjak
Old 17-03-2005, 8:08 AM

I agree with edinburghglass. You basically keep BT, dump Sainsbury's use a mixture of Onetel, 18866 and 1899. Use 1899 to divert to mobile.

OneTel gives you free directory enquiry calls.

You can also use 1899 VOIP for absolutely free calls from PC to UK landlines.
# 7
bestyman
Old 20-03-2005, 1:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,

I have the sam problem in needing to divert calls to my bt landline to my mobile and having to pay the divert charges at BT rates.

I have 18866 and entering the number 18866 before my mobile number when setting up divert does not work .

A point to remember is that the cost of ringing mobiles ( or diverting to ) from a BT landlane varies a great deal depending on the network of the mobile. I use a O2 mobile as this is usually the cheapest mobile to divert to ( look on bt website)

If anyone knows a way to route divert calls other than with BT please let me know.
# 8
zx2011
Old 21-03-2005, 7:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You can add BT's CallMobile as a BT Together add-on. It costs 1.50 a month but gives you a 25% discount on their mobile call prices.

The CallMobile rates are listed in the 2nd table on this page:
http://www.bt.com/Pricing/pis_info.j...K&obsOID=30176
# 9
Paul Varjak
Old 21-03-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestyman
Hi,

I have the sam problem in needing to divert calls to my bt landline to my mobile and having to pay the divert charges at BT rates.

I have 18866 and entering the number 18866 before my mobile number when setting up divert does not work .

A point to remember is that the cost of ringing mobiles ( or diverting to ) from a BT landlane varies a great deal depending on the network of the mobile. I use a O2 mobile as this is usually the cheapest mobile to divert to ( look on bt website)

If anyone knows a way to route divert calls other than with BT please let me know.
Didn't know that you couldn't use 18866 on the BT call divert. Why does it not work? Is it because you cannot enter enough digits for the divert 'string'? If it is because BT does not allow you to use an alternative provider when diverting then if you can enter a lot of digits in divert 'string' then, maybe, you could divert to the 18866 freefone number followed by two 'pauses', followed the mobile number.

Another possibility is to sign up with OneTel for both landline and mobile phone as calls between OneTel landline and OneTel mobile are free! The problem is, again, being able to program the necessary long 'string' of digits to divert your call! But I guess there is always some 'magic' box you can buy for your homephone to do the divert for you!
# 10
Paul Varjak
Old 21-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Just a few more thoughts about the 'magic box' idea. In order for this to work I think a second phone line would be necessary.

It would be nice if the 'magic box' could use the 'three way' calling feature to make the divert call; however, I do not think this would work, as only the originator of a call can initiate a three way call. At least that is the case on BT lines.

I have rung ORCHID and they are producing a product that will divert calls over a second fixed landline. This product will allow you to divert using 'least cost routing', just like their other products.

So, if you got OneTel on your landline and got a OneTel mobile, you would pay nothing for the call diverts and the only extra to pay is line rental on the second line.
# 11
bestyman
Old 21-03-2005, 2:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi ,
Many many thanks. I soon will be 60 a monthe better off!!!!!!

Just phoned one tel and the free calls from landline to mobile can be diverted without a second phone line for FREE.

Just gonna look at the one tel packages now and see which is the best .

Thanks again
# 12
Paul Varjak
Old 21-03-2005, 3:31 PM

BESTYMAN:

It will be great if what One-Tel has told you is correct! Also remember that if you sign up with One-Tel now, you can get free evening and weekend calls from your landline (for one year) plus free directory enquiries from your landline (forever?)

It also possible on mobile networks to use your free minutes to access the One-Tel DQ service for free, providing you route your calls through the mobile access number provided by One-Tel. But I am not sure if One-Tel allow this 'trick' on their own mobiles!
# 13
Paul Varjak
Old 21-03-2005, 3:51 PM

BESTYMAN:

Unfortunately, I think One-Tel are incorrect!

If use the Call Divert feature this will be BT's call divert feature and it will route calls over BT and not One-Tel - even if use use OneTel's Carrier Pre- Select service!

At least that is what someone from OneTel told me!

EDIT:
Have now had a different answer! OneTel now say that OneTel charge for the diverted part of the call, and it will not be free even if diverting to a OneTel mobile. I think this is because the call will not be seen as originating from your landline - i.e. the CLI will be the number of person calling you - not your landline number!

As I said earlier, I think you will need two BT lines. Your current one you would change to the BT low user rental and use only for incoming calls. The second 'new' line you would use for outgoing calls. You then use the 'magic box' I mentioned to divert calls from the incoming line to the outgoing line. It will the outgoing line you register with OneTel carrier pre-select service.

I trust that is as clear as mud!

Please let us know if what OneTel has told you is correct. If it is, MARTIN LEWIS will be very interested! I will be interested too!!

Last edited by Paul Varjak; 21-03-2005 at 4:19 PM.
# 14
bestyman
Old 21-03-2005, 7:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi,
I phoned one tel customer services and was told that the diverts are free. I then rang sales and was told the diverts are free, but they didn`t sound 100% sure ( overseas call centre I think).

I have sent them an email asking them again and have not recieved a reply yet but when I do I will post it here .

The main reason for me getting this is to save the 60 a month that I pay BT in diverts ( even with mobile as best friend etc etc ) so if Onetel says the diverts are free by email and it turns out they are not I suppose I am within my rights to cancel and send the mobile back . I might even make this perfectly clear to them in a letter before signing up ( any views?)

Even if I do need a second line I will still be about 45 a month better off so will have to look into these magic boxes. ( info please?)

Regards

Besty

Hope the Onetel thing works out, I was really looking forward to the nokia 6600 !
# 15
bestyman
Old 21-03-2005, 7:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry , forgot to ask .

I think you may be right about the onetel thing ( hopefully your wrong) so where do I find out about these boxes please? I have done a google search and found orchid electronics at Exeter, so they make magic boxes?
Thanks
# 16
Paul Varjak
Old 21-03-2005, 8:01 PM

When I said 'magic boxes' I was just hoping they existed! I rang Orchid who happened to say they are developing one! There may be others, I just don't know though!

If you do hear of one, please post here as I will be interested when my Vodafone mobile contract ends in August.

If OneTel do say diverts are free just make sure that they are saying that the diverted part of the call is free and that they are not referring to the call divert rental (you still have to pay BT for that).

Another possibility altogether is to get a 'personal number'. You can divert the personal number to your home phone or mobile as required. You can get the personal number for free and all calls to the number are chargeable to your caller (at higher than mobile rates). To change the divert you usually have to ring an 0870 number or do it for free on the Internet.

Are you sure you cannot have an answerphone on your landline that gives out your mobile number to your callers? Still seems the simplest solution!
# 17
bestyman
Old 21-03-2005, 9:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Appologies to TMH as I have just realised that in my enthusiasm I have hijacked his thread, erm sorry! but at least its still on topic with a common goal.
I am in the same situation as TMH is that my callers do not like answerphones. I advertise in yellow pages etc and callers want to talk to a real person ( dont we all?) and many of them won`t ring a mobile or personal number due to the cost ( I could start a new thread here on why the average joe public won`t ring a mobile for 30p but yet is prepared to be ripped off by the big companies with freephone numbers, hence the success of 0800 numbers in the yellow pages, but thats besides the point)

Anyhow, I phoned onetel again and asked for a manager who said that diverts are not free so thanks for pointing this out .

The 18866 does not work as bt do not allow the 18866 number but when I tried to put in the alternative 01 18866 number that works but there was a problem in that the caller was asked for ` which number would you like to call` from the 18866 recorded message . Can I put in pauses with my phone so I can divert to 18866 07821 xxxxx ????? When I find the pause key on my phone I will try this and let you know ( any ideas?)
Any help appreaciated.
Besty
# 18
andy88
Old 21-03-2005, 10:06 PM
PPR

I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to set a pause in mid-dial. I asked this elsewhere about diverting a mobile, which after all does actually have a pause character.

I don't know the monthly price of BT's Call Mobile option, but it cuts the call rates by about 3p/min; also Friends & Family would reduce by 20 % for best friend.

So these together would probably reduce the price below 10p/minute anyway.

Perhaps you could look into setting up your own 0871 number to use to divert to mobile on weekdays; I think it might be very difficult to find one.
# 19
Paul Varjak
Old 21-03-2005, 10:33 PM

Now I think about it again, I doubt that you could program a 'pause' in the dialling sequence.

Pressing the 'pause' button produces no tones and so does not send any signal to the exchange to program a 'pause'; it is only meant to put in a 'pause' on the dialling sequence on numbers in your phonebook. Plus, I don't think you can send enough digits to the BT divert sequence anyway!

I think you are stuck with the other methods I have mentioned unless the 'experts' have other ideas.
# 20
bordercars
Old 11-04-2005, 6:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default divertind to mobile

I to have to divert to a mobile , i am a single car taxi operator so calls must be diverted , my diversion normally costs more than any other part of the bill, last 1/4 was about 350 calls , i am diverting from a business line to bt mobile but also have a residential line , should i be diverting to res then to mobile using 18666 # or go for onetell as the calls from bt bus to bt res are the cheapest option.
Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
CCC Play Off Winners 2010
Closed Thread