Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Bankruptcy & Living With It > Is it possible to get Barclaycard Initial 6 years... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Is it possible to get Barclaycard Initial 6 years after BR?
Views: 3,825
# 1
Izzy123456
Old 02-01-2012, 8:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Is it possible to get Barclaycard Initial 6 years after BR?

Hi all,

I was just wondering, if it's possible to get the Barclaycard Initial credit card once the bankruptcy has dropped off the credit file (6 years after the BR)?

The reason I ask is I was looking on their site and it says,

"An Initial Credit Card could be right for you, if:
* You have never been declared bankrupt"

This sounds to me like they will never accept an ex bankrupt even if it has dropped off your file?

Thanks a lot,
Izzy
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
vindicated
Old 02-01-2012, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Apparently there has been a few other members who have managed to obtain a barclaycard post bankruptcy, i think its hit or miss with a lot of lenders, however if they do not ask "Have you EVER been declared bankrupt" then you may get one as they cant see something if its not there (bankruptcy falls off after 6 years)

So it all hinges on that one question...If they ask have you been declared bankrupt in the last three years then obviously you can tick "no"

Oh and if Barclaycard were part of your bankruptcy then they may have a permanent record and therefore not offer you a card - think this is why HBOS refuse to offer me a full current account or credit card as they were the lender that made up most of my bankruptcy, however their now parent company Lloyds offered me a full classic account, but again probably because their systems arent fully integrated quite yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to vindicated For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Izzy123456
Old 02-01-2012, 9:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks a lot vindicated! Ok, I have checked the application form and there does not appear to be a box to tick to say if you were ever BR, so I guess it's all right on that front.

... however, Barclays were part of my bankruptcy. I have a visa debit account with them now, so at least they gave me that.

I wonder if they'll never give me a credit card now? I would imagine they do have a record of my BR with them.

Anyone sucessfully get a Barclaycard after having Barclays as part of the BR?

Last edited by Izzy123456; 02-01-2012 at 9:46 PM.
# 4
philnicandamy
Old 03-01-2012, 8:57 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Barclays refused me and thats nearly 5yrs discharged
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philnicandamy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
vindicated
Old 03-01-2012, 4:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy123456 View Post
Thanks a lot vindicated! Ok, I have checked the application form and there does not appear to be a box to tick to say if you were ever BR, so I guess it's all right on that front.

... however, Barclays were part of my bankruptcy. I have a visa debit account with them now, so at least they gave me that.

I wonder if they'll never give me a credit card now? I would imagine they do have a record of my BR with them.

Anyone sucessfully get a Barclaycard after having Barclays as part of the BR?
They might offer you one, especially if they've provided a full current account with overdraft - You can only apply and see what their actual decision will be
The Following User Says Thank You to vindicated For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
dojoman
Old 03-01-2012, 5:43 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I cannot remember anyone getting a Barclaycard in the 2 years I have been frequenting this forum.
B&SC No. 298
Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
and WISE too late!
The Following User Says Thank You to dojoman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
EmmaHerts
Old 10-01-2012, 2:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post
I cannot remember anyone getting a Barclaycard in the 2 years I have been frequenting this forum.
God, really? I just applied for this card to build up my credit history. Looks like it might have been a mistake if they turn everyone down!
# 8
Ineedaname
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Not necessarily that Barclaycard turns every BR down, could be several reason why a successful application hasn't been seen on the board, such as very few have applied and nobody successful has posted.

Dojo was just saying he's not seen anyone on the board getting one in the last 2 years. We can only go on what's posted by members for us to read.

Try a forum search for 'Barclaycard' to see if anyone has posted that they've applied.
When I joined, I needed a name. The forum members gave one to me...I am INAN
----------------------------------------------------
"Fortunes ebb and flow and a boat must move with the tide and be thankful that it floats." Judith Allnatt
The Following User Says Thank You to Ineedaname For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Helenxx
Old 05-05-2012, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I was accepted!!

Just to let everyone know that I have recently been accepted for a Barclaycard Initial Card with a limit of just £150, but still ....

I was made bankrupt in July 2009 and discharged in July 2010 so it is 2.5 years since BR and 1.5 years since discharge!

I have a Vanquis credit card which i have used VERY responsibly and I applied for the Barclaycard as I wanted to try to get a credit card with a lower interest rate!

# 10
BugsyBrowne
Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenxx View Post
Just to let everyone know that I have recently been accepted for a Barclaycard Initial Card with a limit of just £150, but still ....

I was made bankrupt in July 2009 and discharged in July 2010 so it is 2.5 years since BR and 1.5 years since discharge!

I have a Vanquis credit card which i have used VERY responsibly and I applied for the Barclaycard as I wanted to try to get a credit card with a lower interest rate!

I personally think they make going BR easy TBH and certantly makes it easy for anyone as the consequences on this are very minimal.

Its outrageous actually How someone 3 years ago was declared Bankrupt and could of ran up debts on purpose knowing they couldn't afford to pay any money back and gets to get a barclaycard especially when many struggle paying back every penny and BR's end up having a fresh start with no debts within a couple of years.

Not saying everyone going BR is the same but me personally think there should be a higher price to pay.
# 11
bigbopper69
Old 08-06-2012, 7:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default accepted

I managed to get a barclay card initial with a credit limit of £250, this was 6 years after BR, but I did apply for a currant account first and I was totally honest with them, i wouldn't try to hide anything because in the end that was possibly the problem at the start and as for the credit limit i was more than happy, i would have been happy with a £10 limit as the whole point of getting it in the first place wasn't for the money but to help prove that you can handle it, thank you barclays for all help given. :T

Last edited by bigbopper69; 08-06-2012 at 8:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbopper69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
izzywizzy2010
Old 29-06-2012, 12:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

My bankruptcy dropped off my file this week. Did the pre application checker with Barclays and it gave me the option of the platinum simplicty, platinum purchases or the initial. Opted for the platinum simplicity at 7.9% and it went through straight away. Far better than the capital one classic at 39.9%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to izzywizzy2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Izzy123456
Old 29-06-2012, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzywizzy2010 View Post
My bankruptcy dropped off my file this week. Did the pre application checker with Barclays and it gave me the option of the platinum simplicty, platinum purchases or the initial. Opted for the platinum simplicity at 7.9% and it went through straight away. Far better than the capital one classic at 39.9%

IzzyWizzy, were Barclays one of your creditors in your BR? (sorry if I asked you this before!)

Izzy
# 14
exponential
Old 29-06-2012, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi guys.

I have just applied and been accepted for a Barclaycard.
I didnt think i would be accepted because I have heard they are difficult to obtain post BR but got the ok straight away.
Got an email yesterday saying the card I will receive will be an "Initial" card which has a 29.9% APR attached to it. (I think)?

I was discharged early from my BR back in July 2010 and have cleaned up my credit files which had a few anomallies on it and also made sure I am on the electoral roll which is a MUST!

The reason I applied is because I currently have a Vanquis card and the APR is astronomical let alone the purchase charges etc etc. Its costing me the best part of £110 a month so I am going to do a balance transfer to my Barclaycard BUT they have only given me a starting limit of £800 but nevertheless, at least I can transfer the bulk of my Vanquis balance!!!

I have held the Vanquis card for just over a year now and have kept the card payments on time with no defaults and they recently upped my limit to £1700 BTW.

Would love to know how one discharged BR gets accepted yet another ex BR wont be accepted??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exponential For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
bigbopper69
Old 29-06-2012, 6:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just a quick comment on previous post, if you do transfer/pay off your vanquis cc you may be best closing it altogether because if you apply for further credit it could affect your credit score as it may look like you have too much credit, and it will stop you spending on both and being back at square one.
# 16
bigbopper69
Old 29-06-2012, 7:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

[QUOTE=BugsyBrowne;52936247]I personally think they make going BR easy TBH and certantly makes it easy for anyone as the consequences on this are very minimal.

Its outrageous actually How someone 3 years ago was declared Bankrupt and could of ran up debts on purpose knowing they couldn't afford to pay any money back and gets to get a barclaycard especially when many struggle paying back every penny and BR's end up having a fresh start with no debts within a couple of years.

Not saying everyone going BR is the same but me personally think there should be a higher price to pay.

yes I do agree with you on all comments Bugsy, and I for one have learnt the hard way "we all make mistakes" but with out getting into a debate unfortunately in life other things in life require having a good credit score and a downside of building that is having too possess a credit card and managing it just one of those big downfalls in life
# 17
sumo22
Old 29-06-2012, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ok a quick question for me please if ya dont mind

as it seems from here and my reaserch the barclays card is better than the vanquis but as i have a CCJ on my file and 1 or 2 late payments which one will i be more likely to get or will it just depend on other factors?
# 18
bigbopper69
Old 29-06-2012, 9:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

all I can say is give it a go sumo, just be honest and hide nothing from them in the end what can you loose, in my defence I did get a basic account from them first but you have to go into a branch for that, is everything else up to date ie are you on the electrol roll, there is an option on there site to see what your chances would be if you did apply, good luck.
# 19
sumo22
Old 30-06-2012, 1:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

bigbopper69- yea ok i will and yea im on the electro role thing also if i get rejected it will show up on my file and it will make it even worse thats all im worried about or wont it matter that much as it will only be the one search instead of several
# 20
izzywizzy2010
Old 30-06-2012, 1:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi izzy, I previous had accounts with both Barclays and Barclaycard. I did find it really strange that not once during the application was I asked about bankruptcy at all!