Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,633Posts
    • 8,145Thanks
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
Page 464
    • artydoll
    • By artydoll 6th Dec 12, 2:23 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    Made a beef stew for today,mostly came from freezer ,beef cubes,swede,parsnips,sliced leek.all came from freezer,been freezing them when I buy them,portioning them and chucking in the freezer

OH got a sliced loaf out yesterday and asked what was in all the little plastic bags ?
    So today I showed him when I made the stew lol.
    It was so quick even got him to peel a few potatoes for it.
    • Popperwell
    • By Popperwell 6th Dec 12, 2:28 PM
    • 5,054 Posts
    • 48,352 Thanks
    Still on the ham butties...I refuse to waste the YS meat even if it has gone past the date on the lable. It looks, smells and tastes ok. And is in a fridge that is at the correct temperture.

May do a meal later, ham, baked beans eggs, mushrooms and chips.

May open a can of rice pudding afterwards.

Similar to previous meals I mentioned earlier in the week.

Then perhaps I can do something else over the weekend.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 6th Dec 12, 2:30 PM
    • 5,578 Posts
    • 36,356 Thanks
    Lazy dinner of pizza and garlic bread
    • Frith
    • By Frith 6th Dec 12, 2:59 PM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 30,238 Thanks
    We're having tea at my mum and dad's tonight. :-)

Made a large quantity of meatballs today though, so have some in the fridge for tomorrow's tea and another meal's worth in the freezer.

Have been trying to use the soup up from the freezer so I had a portion for lunch today... and yesterday...
    What do we want? Passive aggression. When do we want it? No, no, take your time. It's fine.
  • DuckEggGingham
    Aubergine sliced length ways, roasted off in the oven, then putting lots of cheese on top of them and finishing them off under the grill served with soya mince done in a pepper and tomato based sauce.

Lots of weird and wonderful meals for the next 2 weeks as I use up what is in the freezer ready for lots of Christmas leftovers lol!
  • Josslette
    Chicken Goujons in wraps with reggae reggae sauce mixed into mayo. Served with potato wedges and salad. It's soooo cold out there!
    September Grocery Challenge 0/225
    • Metranil Vavin
    • By Metranil Vavin 6th Dec 12, 4:27 PM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 16,505 Thanks
    Metranil Vavin
    mmm some of these dinner's are making me hungry, and it's only 4.30!

I'm going to cobble together a chilli I think as OH is out at his work Xmas party tonight, and I have mine tomorrow night so will make enough for him tomorrow too.

mmmmm chilli..
    Metranil dreams of becoming a neon,
    You don't even take him seriously,
    How am I going to get to heaven?,
    When I'm just balanced so precariously..
    • Popperwell
    • By Popperwell 6th Dec 12, 4:33 PM
    • 5,054 Posts
    • 48,352 Thanks
    They always make me hungry and if someone was cooking them for me that would be lovely but cooking for one I do tend to go for the simple and easy meals. I have the best of intentions but then they tend to go by the wayside.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
    • trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 6th Dec 12, 6:02 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    No need for me to cook tonight as I'm going out for a meal It's been ages since I had a meal out, so I'm really looking forward to it
    • McpPsl
    • By McpPsl 6th Dec 12, 7:34 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    Rack of Lamb
    Changed our Meal Plan today after noticing a Rack of Lamb sitting in the freezer begging to be eaten.

With the Rack of Lamb we had root mash, consisting of potatoes, swede, carrots, butter and parmasan cheese also a medley of vegetables made up of brussel sprouts, broccoli and cabbage, served with lots of gravy.
    • soba
    • By soba 6th Dec 12, 9:18 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 6,464 Thanks
    Made a beef stew yesterday and was planning on making pie with it today but the puff pastry in the fridge had gone off - a very unappealing grey colour and covered in black specks.
    So we had stew, chips, peas and y puds.
    Last edited by soba; 06-12-2012 at 9:21 PM.

• vixtress
    • By vixtress 6th Dec 12, 9:39 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    Had chicken fajitas with heaps of side salad last night which was so simple but totally and utterly scrumptious

Tonight I'm cooking my favouritest ever dinner (OH and DD3 favourite too!)...

Ginger pork and dauphinoise pototoes

The ginger pork was a recipe I found in a 1.99 recipe book last year and it's now my speciality!! lol

Oh I can't wait! Mouth watering
    Originally posted by HeadAboveWater
    Any chance of the pork recipe? Sounds delicious
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 7th Dec 12, 9:46 AM
    • 5,578 Posts
    • 36,356 Thanks
    Found some very nice looking stewing beef in the freezer (which I am desperate to empty!) so I am going to make a simple stew and serve it with rice.
    • skader
    • By skader 7th Dec 12, 12:24 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Making chicken and leek pie today from the hairy bikers book
    Going to make the double crust myself as well
    Fingers crossed!
    • ruby_eskimo
    • By ruby_eskimo 7th Dec 12, 3:15 PM
    • 2,141 Posts
    • 11,577 Thanks
    We're having Chilli tonight. Just hope OH doesn't make it too hot!
    House Fund - 16,000 :: Misc Savings -0/ 1,000
    Sealed Pot 2015 #24 :: VSP #29 - 0:: NSD 2015 - 11 / 200 Weight Loss: 34 / 51lbs December GC - 0/ 200
    Engaged 9th December 2010 Married 29th October 2015
  • Rossy2692
    Made some ciabatta stylee rolls today so am making Nando's stylee chicken sandwiches with a few chips
    Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!!

Weightloss challenge 2/14

"Life is like a box of never know what you are gonna get"
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 7th Dec 12, 4:40 PM
    • 6,588 Posts
    • 26,564 Thanks
    quick pasta in tomato sauce with grated cheese on top, with garlic bread.
    • mogwai
    • By mogwai 7th Dec 12, 6:03 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 2,858 Thanks
    either HM lasagne or since DH is at work dinner may order in pizza and garlic bread mm
    We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): 13,500. Current debt: 680 480 560 13 0 overdraft
    Current aims - to start building up savings
    1st 1000 in 100 days - 1178.03 2nd 1053.38/1000 3rd 863.59/1000
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Dec 12, 7:21 PM
    • 12,174 Posts
    • 89,980 Thanks
    I have some left over cooked chicken from DDs that was headed for either the dogs or the bin ,but luckily my son-in-law donated it to me as he knows I hate waste and will have it with lettuce,tomatoes,cuecumer,beetroot,radish and cooked left over charlotte potato's from last night basically an almost free meal and when I have stripped whats left of the chicken off that I don't eat tonight it will make me a nice curry for tomorrow nights dinner, so two freebie meals meatwise.
    60.00 for the next 30 days in my food purse
    Day 24 and just spent 29.32 in total on essentials so far this month. 30.68 left in food purse
  • CT19720
    Finally got around to making the lamb kebab loaf from the takeaway secreat book today.

We all absolutley loved it, and served it in pitta with chips and salad.

Trying to do one new receipe a week, and think next weeks will be 'pulled pork', if I can find a nice receipe off the internet.
    2015 is the year I am going to find time for me, and cherish the time I spend with my friends.
    It is also time to save - Aim 5,000 - So far this year - 925/5,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

342Posts Today

1,706Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @arlenephillips: I use mine. Hate making long calls on mobile.

• PS the pigs in my new profile pic are not a political comment (read that as you will!)

• New profile picture for the first time in two years - older, and finally given in to putting a jacket on.

• Follow Martin