Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
Views: 1,410,274
# 41
Mrs P Pincher
Old 02-01-2012, 6:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Another chorizo and pasta concoction here too. When I pluck up courage to go in there, I think I will find a tin of cherry tomatoes and some basil as well.

Eating up the remains of Christmas.

Back to work tomorrow.

Mrs P P
"Keep your dreams as clean as silver..." John Stewart (1939-2008)
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mrs P Pincher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
alex21
Old 02-01-2012, 6:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Went to Mr T and was totally uninspired today. I am feeling bloated and am fed up with comfort food at the moment. We are having M&S cheese and onion quiche with a big salad to try and cleanse our palates a bit.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alex21 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
duchy
Old 02-01-2012, 6:14 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Another unhealthy dinner here. Santa brought us a wafflemaker so we've decided to try it out tonight , No bananas left so tinned pineapple and or maple syrup and perhaps cream or maybe just butter.

Spent the afternoon reading waffle recipes -like the sound of apple and cinnamon waffles.
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole
[/FONT][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to duchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
Gemmy
Old 02-01-2012, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Spaghetti Bolognaise for us.. my favourite yumyum.. and even better its OH's dish to cook
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemmy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
Caffeinefiend
Old 02-01-2012, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Got some whoopsied parsnips, big pan of soup, should last a couple of days can't beat it with fresh bread, yummm.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caffeinefiend For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
cutestkids
Old 02-01-2012, 6:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks to everyone for the great response to the thread and for all the yummy dinner ideas, now I will need to think of something good for tommorrows dinner
1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cutestkids For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
sonastin
Old 02-01-2012, 7:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonastin View Post
I've taken some bockwurst out of the freezer for tonights dinner but not sure what I'm going to be cooking them with yet. Pretty limited on the veg front - I think I've got carrots, swede, onions and potatoes in the fridge and peas in the freezer. Might do a carrot & swede mash but that means that I shouldn't really do mashed spuds too. Maybe lyonnaise potatoes, if I can remember how my mum used to do them!
OH turned his nose up at this when I told him what I was planning so now we're having the bockwurst with oven chips, fried eggs and beans - so much for new year healthy eating plans
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sonastin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
Flora Poste
Old 02-01-2012, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We had this,,,,,

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...rizo-jambalaya

it's the third time cos it's our favourite thing at the moment and you can use leftover turkey,
"A savoury muffin?? As if life wasn't disappointing enough!" Miranda
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flora Poste For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
misskool
Old 02-01-2012, 7:50 PM

we had fish and chips from the takeaway tonight. Think there will be cooking tomorrow

I am just making some carrot and peanut butter soup for my lunch at work this week.

Last edited by misskool; 02-01-2012 at 9:59 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to misskool For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
thenanny2die4
Old 02-01-2012, 8:00 PM

Given that I still haven't shopped since Dec 23rd, I decided it was time to use up the last of the Christmas veg, so DH had a little chicken drumstick and thigh and I had a Cauldron aduki kiev to accompany a mound of mash along with steamed cauli, sprouts, cabbage, carrots, sugar snaps and I even chucked in some frozen peas and sweetcorn for good measure.

Looking forward to bubble and squeak tomorrow.
Proud to have beaten my target of 100 raised for the Alzheimer's Society
by completing the 10k Memory Walk at Wollaton Hall on September 1st.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thenanny2die4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
ciderwithrosie
Old 02-01-2012, 8:01 PM

Beef casserole with lemon and thyme dumplings, mash and sprouts followed by lemon sauce pudding and custard (I had a few lemons left over from Christmas that needed using up) Good old comfort food today.

This was in between dyeing the front of DS3's hair green, several loads of washing, finding all DS1's clothes to go back to Uni tomorrow and making a start on emptying the kitchen cupboards as we're having a new kitchen fitted next week.
Your heart's a great big hole, your brain is full of spiders and you have garlic in your soul
....Mr Grinch

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ciderwithrosie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
Fruball
Old 02-01-2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutestkids View Post
Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
Great thread! I love noseying at what people have for dinner and often ask on FB - seems everybody else likes it too as my friends always reply!!!

Great for gathering ideas too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellpony View Post
I used to give DD soup with a straw so she could have soup the same as us. Might be worth a try if he does want to have the soup? (I used to carry straws in my hand bag so if we were out she could have soup (she loved soup) as it was often cheaper than the childrens meal and she would actually eat it!
What an awesome idea!!! Love it. I think I will try this with DD as she might be inspired to try other soups if she has it with a straw. TY
Starting Over
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fruball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
VfM4meplse
Old 02-01-2012, 8:42 PM

A bag of Cadbury's Snow bites (does that count??)
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VfM4meplse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
sunset gold
Old 02-01-2012, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We had a chicken I chopped up into breasts, legs and wings, marinaded breasts in nandos lemon & herb and the rest in nandos hot spice, served with HM wedges and salad. Not much leftovers too!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sunset gold For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
cutestkids
Old 02-01-2012, 8:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfM4meplse View Post
A bag of Cadbury's Snow bites (does that count??)
: rotfl:

Like your way of thinking !
1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cutestkids For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
Fruball
Old 02-01-2012, 8:59 PM

We had CHICKEN DIVAN which was absolutely gorgeous.

I make mine with curry powder or garam masala - just enough for flavour, as a seasoning rather than a curry and serve with basmati rice as its my favourite.

I lost my original recipe for this but have made it so many times I don't need it any more. There are lots of recipes for it online and this one is the closest to the one I remember. However..... I have NO IDEA where on earth they get those quantities from!!! 3 heads of broccoli + similar amount of chicken = serves 4 Not in this house it doesn't! I use 1 or 2 heads broccoli and leftover chicken!!! Serves 4 fine! Their recipe would do 8 in this house!

I've also made it with no chicken, just broccoli and its like a really super poshed up rich Broccoli Cheese and i've done it as a pie filling! Yummmy!
Starting Over
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fruball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
katieowl
Old 02-01-2012, 9:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We had a sort of shepherds pie...I blitzed the remains of OH's birthday roast lamb (new years eve) in the magimix, and fried it with some onions and carrots, tipped in the remains of the gravy, and instead of topping with potatoes a) because I only had new ones and b) because DD can't eat butter, I topped it with mashed swede, mashed just with lots of pepper, and topped it with some grated Manchego (sheeps) cheese, which she can eat. I served it with new potatoes on the side. Odd but tasty The lamb was lush anyway, it was from my friends flock...we are talking less than one food mile for that meat! The bones are currently boiling for stock!

Kate
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to katieowl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
lollipop89
Old 02-01-2012, 9:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I made toad in the hole with veg and gravy, we will have the leftovers tomorrow.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lollipop89 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
Aarons mummy
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I planned to make a cheese and bacon macaroni but I forgot to take the bacon out the freezer so used a pack of frankfurters that were lurking in the fridge and needing used. Added in reduced mushrooms, yellow pepper, red onion and spring onions (costing about 30p for all the veg!), made a cheese sauce with a couple of spoons of mustard and then topped with a mix of breadcrumbs, sage, pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder chucked in the oven.

It was scrummy! I intended to just make enough for tea and lunch tomorrow but I ended up with dinner tonight, lunch tomorrow, lunch Wednesday and 2 portions for the freezer. It was all using leftovers and extra cheap so I'm happy enough.

My freezer is probably groaning under the weight of yet another couple of portions being added to the already stacked drawers

Great thread OP!
Credit Card: 796 Left/900 October 2011
Store Card: 100 October 2011
Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100
No Buying Toiletries 2012
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aarons mummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
PinotGrigio41
Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 AM

We had homemade chilli with rice and also a homemade veggie chilli and a salad. We had friends over tonight and were feeding 10 ? Loads left so will be eating leftovers or freezing for rest of week!

Great idea for a thread Ck . I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is cooking in the coming weeks!
LBM July 2011 - Finally took control Nov 2011 DFD Sometime in the distant future !
Total debts Nov 2011 96796.75
Total Debts AUG 2014 37564.60
( 11604.00 appear to be UE & on hold )
Cleared AUG 2014 47629.15 Tax 12763.00 / 7128.00 .
DMP Mutual Support Thread 428
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PinotGrigio41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>