Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
Page 2219
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th May 17, 9:16 AM
    • 14,791 Posts
    • 117,752 Thanks
    JackieO
    Tonight I will have a ham salad with a small jacket potato and a big pile of salady bits and pieces.I had such a nice dinner last night at Dds I still feel full this morning.So its fruit for breakfast and soup for lunch and huge plateful of salad bits tonight DD gave me a couple of coconut and lime yogurts that she picked up from Aldi's last night so one of those will be my pudding :,weather seems to have warmed up, so the little jacket spud will be the only thing cooked, and that will be whizzed in the microwave, what i call my 'easy feet up' meal as its a five minute job to make and once eaten its feet up and very little washing up at all
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget 60.00 for May First shop of the month 6/5/17 17.56 Balance 42.44 in food budget purse last shop of the month and have 15.59 left in food budget purse, used up my W'rose vouchers
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 18th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 1,838 Thanks
    2childmum
    Tonight we are having tuna burgers from one of my old recipe books - not made with potato, so I'll use up the chips from the freezer, with carrots and peas.
    Followed by home made meringues - using up the egg white from the egg yolk I used in pastry to make mushroom and chestnut pie. I had the chestnuts in the cupboard since about 2 Christmases ago, when I bought them YS thinking I had a recipe to use them, but couldn't find it. They have been sat there all that time, as every other recipe I found either needed far more than I had, or a load of other ingredients I didn't have. Someone posted this pie recipe so we gave it a go - really enjoyed it, and will keep the recipe safe until the next time the chestnuts are YS!
    May spend - 221.64/320.00
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th May 17, 10:23 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Tonight we are having tuna burgers from one of my old recipe books - not made with potato, so I'll use up the chips from the freezer, with carrots and peas.
    Followed by home made meringues - using up the egg white from the egg yolk I used in pastry to make mushroom and chestnut pie. I had the chestnuts in the cupboard since about 2 Christmases ago, when I bought them YS thinking I had a recipe to use them, but couldn't find it. They have been sat there all that time, as every other recipe I found either needed far more than I had, or a load of other ingredients I didn't have. Someone posted this pie recipe so we gave it a go - really enjoyed it, and will keep the recipe safe until the next time the chestnuts are YS!
    Originally posted by 2childmum

Was that the hairy bikers recipe I mentioned? Was the pie delicious? I keep going back to that, but unsure if DH will eat it

The pastry though is bloody lovely
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th May 17, 10:27 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Pan fried cod fillet (which I'll dust with a little cumin or smoked paprika or something) with spinach mash for us tonight. There are some choc ices in the freezer if Mister C J wants pud.

I feel decidedly in a rut with our evening meals, and seem to be churning out the same things time after time for speed and ease - so this weekend I am going to sit down with a few cookery books and get some inspiration.
    Originally posted by C J
    I'm the same. I try a few new dishes, they become firm favourites, then I forget about old ones or cba thinking of new ideas, which is why I love this thread. I often go back a year or two and get new inspiration or reminders of old favs
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 18th May 17, 11:38 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    I will be having the last of the burgers tonight - one for me topped with a little cheddar cheese and home made coleslaw and some salady bits from the greenhouse and one burger and a slice of bacon for the OH plus no doubt he'll eat oven chips as he doesn't touch anything green (hurrah - using up my freezer supplies and almost empty)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th May 17, 4:25 PM
    • 11,464 Posts
    • 144,290 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Long drive home today from visiting a very spotty (chicken pox) Zebra child so lunch was a cuppasoup and some bread, cheese and tomatoes and we were hungry enough that it was ambrosial!

Supper this evening will be oven cooked breaded lemon sole with oven baked cooked new potatoes, peas and green beans, lemon and tartare sauce and bananas and 0%fat Greek yoghurt if it's wanted. Cup of black coffee to finish with.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 18th May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 2,690 Posts
    • 6,494 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Going to attempt to make sweet potato gnocchi and serve it with sundried tomatoes.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th May 17, 4:48 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 44,446 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Yesterday I had such a late lunch that tea wasn't required, just a light supper.
    I had several rounds of Danish bread toast for brunch (just love how light and crispy it is) and about to do a spaghetti savoury dish from The Glasgow Cook Book. Looking at the recipe, it reminded me that shaped pasta other than spaghetti and macaroni wasn't available when I was a very young housewife 40 years ago. Hence spaghetti in what is essentially a simple pasta bake.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 18th May 17, 5:49 PM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 31,297 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Mrs LW nice to see you back - hope the little dotty Zebra is feeling better x

That Mushroom and Chestnut Pie sounds lovely

Fakeaway tonight Prawn and chicken green Thai curry - used a premade paste from Aldi, tasted good and didn't take long to prepare

Last edited by Islandmaid; 18-05-2017 at 6:05 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 8,777 Thanks
    caronc
    Pork chop, sweet potato mash, flat mushroom and asparagus
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Mrs LW nice to see you back - hope the little dotty Zebra is feeling better x

That Mushroom and Chestnut Pie sounds lovely

Fakeaway tonight Prawn and chicken green Thai curry - used a premade paste from Aldi, tasted good and didn't take long to prepare
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    I'm so glad yours was good from paste, mine wasn't until I jizzed it up to give it its oomph. Very feeble imho

However I had bought the paste because I couldn't get lemon grass or kaffir lime leaves and palm sugar. I got those bits when in Scotland but by then the paste had sat here a year

We did all enjoy it, it was a simple meal, just wish I hadn't bought a jar

Will do it again my own way in future
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Going to attempt to make sweet potato gnocchi and serve it with sundried tomatoes.
    Originally posted by drinkupretty
    Do let us ( me ) know how it went. My type of food
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 18th May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Currently moving towards holiday mode so found some chicken legs & wings in the freezer from a whole chicken I cooked a couple of weeks ago & will have with home made wedges. OH will probably want baked beans.

Looking forward to some fab Greek food in a couple of weeks time.
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th May 17, 8:24 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Currently moving towards holiday mode so found some chicken legs & wings in the freezer from a whole chicken I cooked a couple of weeks ago & will have with home made wedges. OH will probably want baked beans.

Looking forward to some fab Greek food in a couple of weeks time.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Note another holiday surely????

Enjoy xx
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th May 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 44,446 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    The spaghetti savoury was very simple and very tasty. Doing it the recommended way would have involved considerable faffing.

So I did the spaghetti in the micro pressure cooker, then micro'd chopped mushrooms and bacon in a small Pyrex gratin dish. I mixed in the cooked spaghetti with an extended tin of condensed tomato soup and topped the dish with a bit of grated cheese.
    This was put under the grill in the combi oven.

It was tasty enough to do again but I'd make a few more tweaks. I think it would have been nicer as a mock carbonara, so I will use mushroom soup next time rather than tomato and stir through some finely grated cheese rather than put it under a grill.

I also tried some sourdough bread with home made starter and nobody was more surprised than me when it worked. It's quite a dense loaf, but it's perfectly edible. It took six hours to rise, but rise it did.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 18th May 17, 11:04 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 17,298 Thanks
    JIL
    Indoor BBQ, using up bits so made an orzo pasta salad, coleslaw, green salad and new potatoes. I had a quinoa burger, made by frys strange texture but tasty. The others had chicken wings, belly pork and small steak. Sounds a lot but they were just small portions. Just enough left for a lunch tomorrow.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 18th May 17, 11:32 PM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 46,056 Thanks
    kerri gt
    The spaghetti savoury was very simple and very tasty. Doing it the recommended way would have involved considerable faffing.

So I did the spaghetti in the micro pressure cooker, then micro'd chopped mushrooms and bacon in a small Pyrex gratin dish. I mixed in the cooked spaghetti with an extended tin of condensed tomato soup and topped the dish with a bit of grated cheese.
    This was put under the grill in the combi oven.

It was tasty enough to do again but I'd make a few more tweaks. I think it would have been nicer as a mock carbonara, so I will use mushroom soup next time rather than tomato and stir through some finely grated cheese rather than put it under a grill.

I also tried some sourdough bread with home made starter and nobody was more surprised than me when it worked. It's quite a dense loaf, but it's perfectly edible. It took six hours to rise, but rise it did.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Tomato and mushroom condensed soup mixed together works well - I kid you not - although we had it with mince as a kind of bolognese sauce all mixed in with pasta.

Speaking of bolognese - I got surprise dinner at a friends, OH was out and I got asked if I wanted to be fed...so i was
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th May 17, 7:40 AM
    • 11,464 Posts
    • 144,290 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be Indian Spicy Scrambled Eggs, He Who Knows will have them on toast and I will have a bed of baby spinach (raw) with mine and supper this evening will be a tarragon flavoured Spring Veal Braise with green beans, asparagus and new potatoes flavoured with mint from the garden. Blackberry compote (found another big bag in the freezer) with 0%fat Greek Yoghurt for pud and a cup of black coffee to finish.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 8:27 AM
    • 58,728 Posts
    • 338,303 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Bought reduced muffins, trying not to use the freezer as I'm supposed to be emptying it ... so it looks like it'll be a toasted muffin with chocolate spread on it because I have to eat them all (4). Had one last night for tea with margarine, one with eggs/beans for breakfast today, so that leaves two.

That might be lunch too. I do like chocolate spread... newly discovered to me. Only on my 2nd jar. An 80p jar has 400 grams in it and it takes 5grams to spread per surface, so two halves of a muffin is 10 grams of choccy spread, 2p!

Cheap AND cheerful!
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 19th May 17, 9:13 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Last nights baked ratatouille was a big hit. Absolutely lovely

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/yann-and-pams-recharge-ratatouille.html

I didn't have passata so a tin of toms, a sprinkle of garlic granules and mixed herbs were substituted

There's a lot left which I'm going to mix with pasta on Saturday cos Saturday is a no cook day for me and mum sorts herself out

Tonight is ham egg and chip night as we won't be home till late which means tea needs to be ready in 10 mins
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

4,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin