Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
Page 2218
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 44,385 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Yet again, last cooked about 3 weeks ago, Jack Monroe's Creamy Salmon Pasta With A Chilli Lemon Kick. I never tire of this.
    Sometimes I make the salmon paste sauce with quark for extra protein, usually it's plain low-fat yogurt. Super-cheap and a lovely sharp pasta sauce that is a welcome change from sweet tomato-based ones.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 17, 8:15 PM
    • 58,676 Posts
    • 337,923 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just had Awesome Balls

Meatballs/sauce/rice.... but the quantity was dictated by the frozen meat I started with ... and to my eye it looked like 1.5 portions. So I thought "s0d it" and piled the whole lot into a bowl anyway... and promptly ate it. I didn't skimp on the rice either .... my eye knew as I was watching it ... "that's a piggy portion there missus", but I was in Gung Ho mode. 100g dry rice .... could feed a small village for a week with that!

If I move between now and the end of the month I'll probably die.

Clean bowl!
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 16th May 17, 8:25 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Pure decadence today, we ate out

A lovely local pub that serves good home cooked meals

DH had the roast gammon and eggs, I had the pepper chops. We both had a few bevvies

Lovely it was. A real treat of not fine dining, but the fact it was all perfectly edible and tasty, and I didn't have to cook
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 17th May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Jacket potatoes for us tonight, topped with chicken curry. I have just made almond panna cotta, to be served with a mixed berry compote for pudding. Never made panna cotta, or even used gelatine before, hope they set

edit: they did set

Last edited by hatful-of-hollow; 17-05-2017 at 6:01 PM.
    Weight lost since 8th July 2016 - 1 stone 4 lbs
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th May 17, 10:51 AM
    • 16,943 Posts
    • 41,138 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I bought some YS pork steaks with piri-piri sauce and will do Dauphinoise potatoes and some sort of green veg.
    • maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 17th May 17, 2:29 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    similar to yesterday's - two burgers topped with a bit of cheddar cheese, some iceberg lettuce and a spring onion topped up with lettuce, rocket, spinach and baby chard leaves from the greenhouse, a bit of brie, two hard boiled eggs and some mayonnaise.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 17th May 17, 4:27 PM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 33,382 Thanks
    freespirit66
    CBA today so tonights dinner will be Baguettes filled with Bacon
    CURRENTLY READING THE CURVY GIRLS CLUB - MICHELLE GORMAN
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 55
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - 430/667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 17th May 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 18,151 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Tonight is chicken lo from the freezer, which I will turn into curry with tumeric rice.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 17th May 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 31,218 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hatful - Your Panna Cotta look lush

Comfort food tonight

Mussel, Spinach and Smoked Bacon Gratin with HM Bread - A Hugh FW recipe

Last edited by Islandmaid; 17-05-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 17th May 17, 5:48 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 9,920 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Roast chicken breast with mashed potato, carrots, cabbage, stuffing, peas and gravy. New free range breasts from a local farm and we only needed one to serve us both.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Frith
    • By Frith 17th May 17, 6:20 PM
    • 4,440 Posts
    • 37,304 Thanks
    Frith
    Dahl tonight, with rice and mango chutney.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th May 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 8,550 Thanks
    caronc
    Spaghetti with asparagus, smoked salmon, cream cheese, spring onion and parsley
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 116/150
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th May 17, 7:18 PM
    • 58,676 Posts
    • 337,923 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I had: A big bread roll with 4 fish fingers, some crushed minty peas ... and a good dollop of ketchup
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 17th May 17, 8:00 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    I had: A big bread roll with 4 fish fingers, some crushed minty peas ... and a good dollop of ketchup
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I wish I'd had that ( minus the minty peas )

I made for the first time a Thai prawn red curry and I wish I hadn't

I started with a paste

Then ended up adding lemon grass, fish paste, palm sugar , chilli, lime leaves to give it more oomph

It was very tasty come the end, but I shouldn't have feared my own skills and cooked directly from scratch
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 17th May 17, 8:02 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    CBA today so tonights dinner will be Baguettes filled with Bacon
    Originally posted by freespirit66
    Pure bliss

I love to add Stilton to mine. A tea like that is so much nicer then meat and veg
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 17th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 7,365 Posts
    • 45,995 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Happy belated b'day McCulloch

Tonight we have sausage (Quorn for OH / square for me), beans, fried sliced jersey royals and poached eggs.

Egg poacher is a new addition from freegle and I did them for a bit too long - they also got a bit stuck even though I lightly buttered the dish - oh well room for improvement. And they were from a box of 9 eggs YS in Asda so more to play with.

OH said it was ok but not sure it was his fav.

Not sure about tomorrow - OH is going out for the football and I have running so needs to be something quick for him, and easy to reheat for me later after my run. I also have some rice that needs using up which I'd rather not freeze. Sooo, I might do a veggie chilli which OH can dip into, and if I keep some chopped toms back from the chilli I can have those, with rice and perhaps some meatballs (Ikea ones nonetheless) Oh and cheese...everything is good with cheese.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 17th May 17, 11:10 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 17,244 Thanks
    JIL
    House full of food stocks that I want to use up.
    Tonight I made couscous, chicken, onion, courgette and pepper kebabs, Greek salad, flatbreads, falafel and olives.
    Enough left for a packed lunch.
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 18th May 17, 8:11 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 3,369 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Tonight we're having homemade beer battered cod with chips and mushy peas...maybe some bread and butter as well - I do love a chip butty.
    Weight lost since 8th July 2016 - 1 stone 4 lbs
    • C J
    • By C J 18th May 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 4,635 Thanks
    C J
    Pan fried cod fillet (which I'll dust with a little cumin or smoked paprika or something) with spinach mash for us tonight. There are some choc ices in the freezer if Mister C J wants pud.

I feel decidedly in a rut with our evening meals, and seem to be churning out the same things time after time for speed and ease - so this weekend I am going to sit down with a few cookery books and get some inspiration.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Livelongandprosper
    • By Livelongandprosper 18th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Livelongandprosper
    Ive some good quality beef burgers in the fridge , left over from last weeks very warm BBQ weather. I'm out of charcoal and have no baps and I'm not going shopping so we will have those grilled and I'm making the baked ratatouille that Tesco are advertising. I've aubergines, courgettes and red onions all bought from the lidls 49p offers over the past two weeks

its a sunny day here but there's not a lot of heat. So a light but warming meal. Not sure about a carb, I'm thinking the burgers are going to be dense enough to be filling enough or I might bung some HM wedges in the oven as well if I can be bothered to de sprout the spuds
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,505Posts Today

6,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin