Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
Page 2202
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 20th Apr 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,981 Posts
    • 2,268 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Yesterday took a single chicken breast out of freezer, grilled it then added it to jars worth of sweet and sour and added 4 tiny chillis to it and made rice.

Today for lunch had home made corned beef hash, and for tea had another chicken breast from grill added to chow mein and chiis with spaghetti as no noodles.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 21st Apr 17, 7:40 AM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 46,186 Thanks
    Jazee
    Tonight we'll be having chicken and bacon pie, with mashed potatoes, cauliflower cheese and broccoli.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)May 111.44 Total 4111.44/12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) 268.64/365
    Money spent on garden 173.05

• fourcandles
    • By fourcandles 21st Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    fourcandles
    Tuna pasta bake here, used up some baby tomatoes, olives and some odd ends of cheese. Nothing special but it was quick to make.
    Originally posted by JIL
    Ooh, yes, that's tonight's tea decided - tuna pasta bake. The fridge is bare until I do my shop tomorrow so I'll chuck in whatever I can find (I think there's half a bag of prawns in the freezer )

Last night I did salmon with pesto and roasted vegetables. DS1 complained as usual because I put aubergine and cherry tomatoes in, both of which he hates.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Apr 17, 8:04 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Mrs LW - thanks for the suggestions. It already had 600ml of milk in and flour so it's quite gloopy.

It would have made a lovely filling for impossible quiche but OH said he didn't really like the pie so I'm doing a gratin topped with packet stuffing for my lunch with half of it & I'll have the rest on granary toast for tomorrow's lunch.

Dekaspace - I love corned beef hash!

Tonight is pasta with meatballs, mushrooms and peppers.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Apr 17, 8:13 AM
    • 11,464 Posts
    • 144,290 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Picnic lunch today as we're planning a walk round some lovely gardens that have lots of rhododendrons this morning. So I'll pack us some crackerbreads, low calorie cheese triangles, baby tomatoes, a container of olives each, a banana each and a low fat blackcurrant yoghurt each too.

Supper tonight will be a quorn sweet potato meat loaf (we can have the rest cold with salad tomorrow) which I'll serve hot with steamed carrots, peas, sweetcorn and oil spray oven baked cooked new potatoes along with some gravy.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Apr 17, 8:22 AM
    • 58,728 Posts
    • 338,303 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... low calorie cheese triangles...
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I go through phases, but for the last four months these have been a staple in my fridge

I'm on about the 4th packet this year already! I love just opening the fridge door and grabbing one for "supper"/a snack late in the evening
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    • 11,464 Posts
    • 144,290 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Me too PN, I like the Laughing Cow light ones with Cheddar in the red packets which are only 25 calories and actually taste like cheese.....not soap which some of them do!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 21st Apr 17, 9:26 AM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 31,297 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all,

Date Night tonight

Making some Coconut Dhal out of the bendy Veg in the fridge for lunches next week, will make some chapati too - all for the freezer till I need them

Last edited by Islandmaid; 21-04-2017 at 2:04 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Me too PN, I like the Laughing Cow light ones with Cheddar in the red packets which are only 25 calories and actually taste like cheese.....not soap which some of them do!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I bought some of the 'Seriously Strong' spreadable squares (they do original and a lighter version) to take on a flight last summer to eat with cheddar biscuits washed down with a G&T.
    It was like having a mile-high picnic.

I put them in our 'liquids' bag though to be sure of not being stopped by Security.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 21st Apr 17, 10:23 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 6,782 Thanks
    karcher
    I cooked last night!

Sauteed onion, garlic in olive oil then added green beans and a load of fresh spinach and cooked wholewheat spaghetti.

Pudding was 2 slices of wholemeal toast, butter and marmalade.
    • gt568
    • By gt568 21st Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    gt568
    friday means one thing....Homemade chicken kebabs.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • BOBS
    • By BOBS 21st Apr 17, 4:50 PM
    • 2,658 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    BOBS
    Feeling so lethargic I dont have energy to make tea so possibly frozen pizza which I know is so stodgy will make things worse
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 21st Apr 17, 5:22 PM
    • 4,684 Posts
    • 44,446 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I was looking forward to skinny tomato soup with hm bread and the final pirukad.
    My tummy had other ideas so it was a mug of Oxo and peppermint tea instead, and supper will be the same. I think it may have been an overdose of lovely crusty hm bread for brekky that did it. I have memories of similar instances.

Oh well. The soup has a use by date of today but they freeze perfectly well.

The soup is the New Covent Garden one, the normal price in Tesco is 2.35, this week they were two for 1 in Heron Foods. Is it any wonder that I absolutely love Heron?
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 22nd Apr 17, 12:44 AM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 17,298 Thanks
    JIL
    I don't mind cooking, in fact I actually enjoy it, apart from Fridays, I don't know if that's because I am tired or because we have always had an easy tea on a Friday.
    So I opened the freezer door and started to look for the breaded fish, but gave up, so oh went to the fish and chip shop and bought two children's fish and chips with peas, it was well worth 6.80 and we ate them in front of the TV and on our knees.
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 22nd Apr 17, 7:05 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    creative gal
    Tonight will be date night in Birmingham, not sure where we're going yet, but very much looking forward to it.

Yesterday, the planned tea of gammon did not materialise due to me being laid up in bed with a migraine.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 22nd Apr 17, 7:41 AM
    • 11,464 Posts
    • 144,290 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We're all out of soup in the fridge so I'll be making some cauliflower cheese soup this morning to see us through the weekend as I already have a cauliflower. I'll have it with some cooked chicken and He Who Knows will have a ham sandwich with his.

Supper this evening will be a quorn stroganoff which has new potatoes in it already and some peas and a low calorie rhubarb yoghurt afterwards if it's wanted.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    • 16,978 Posts
    • 41,255 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We're having pizza.

Bought a half-price pepperoni one and will take off the pepperoni, add extra cheese, mushrooms, red & green peppers, red onion and chorizo and then replace the pepperoni.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 22nd Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3,438 Posts
    • 31,297 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Going to use a couple of the Market Porter Steaks I bought earlier this month on a MSE voucher.

Dauphinois Potatoes and Home Grown Asparagus - Chocolate Fondants for dessert - DH's favourite

Mr S - Are you away again? Get them pics up if not - I'm missing food envy
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 22-04-2017 at 6:43 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • beluga
    • By beluga 22nd Apr 17, 9:45 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 4,982 Thanks
    beluga
    Last night I had HM chili from the freezer with some couscous.
    I've got a busy day ahead so having a cooked breakfast for a change - scrambled eggs with mushrooms and LO chicken on a toasted roll. I've made a sandwich with the rest of the chicken to take as a packed lunch with a packet of crisps and a mini chocolate bar, that'll do the rest of the day.
    Have a good Saturday all x
    • gt568
    • By gt568 22nd Apr 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    gt568
    Burgers, sausages and chicken thighs done on the 'Q.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,805Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin