Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2201
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Apr 17, 5:59 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 6,124 Thanks
    karcher
    I'm delighted to be able to say that this morning I'm under (only just) BMI 25, it's a fab feeling to be classified as 'normal' weight for my height and to NOT be classified as obese or even overweight any longer and it's not been too difficult to do really, just having to remember every day what I was not going to eat. Thanks for being on the journey with me and supporting me with your kindness and encouragement its helped so very much and I appreciate it enormously, there were wobbly days when it made the difference between my will power keeping me off the chocolate and cheese or not! I'm still going to keep to the eating pattern we've been using as I want to get down to 22.5/23.5 BMI and be able to stay there long term. I couldn't have done it without your being here guys, you're better than a teddy bear in terms of comfort any day of my life!!!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Really well done MrsLW
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Apr 17, 6:07 PM
    • 58,101 Posts
    • 333,920 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Spuds topped with tuna crunch spud topping... and it'll be served in about 3 minutes
    • C J
    • By C J 19th Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    C J
    Tonight we are having home made cod and crab fishcakes with salad.

This morning I did a quick shop in Aldi and stocked up on their Super Six veg offers, as I think they will change tomorrow. I've spent the afternoon cooking for the freezer - six portions of cauliflower cheese, ten portions of cauliflower, potato, spinach and mushroom curry, and three litres of Moroccan-spiced cauliflower soup. I also bought four packs of the 19p leeks (each pack had four big leeks in it) and I have chopped/bagged/frozen those to make several batches of leek and potato soup in the near future. I'm back at work in a couple of weeks' time after an extensive period of sick leave and although I am now much better I think I'm going to find it exhausting to begin with, so am filling the freezer with as much home made ready-to-go stuff as I can, in preparation.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • fourcandles
    • By fourcandles 19th Apr 17, 7:21 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    fourcandles
    Love this thread, so much inspiration when I'm stuck for ideas!

Tonight I did Hunter's Chicken from a Slimming World recipe (I'm not in SW but it's a really tasty recipe!) with oven chips and peas.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 19th Apr 17, 7:54 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    Corona
    Chicken curry - made with a small bag of leftover chicken from the freezer; a sliced onion & 2 cloves of garlic; chicken stock; bit of cornflower; curry powder (of course) and a cubed mango (reduced price, bought yesterday), served with rice. (I love the combination of chicken or turkey, with mango )
    • JIL
    • By JIL 19th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 17,090 Thanks
    JIL
    Quick tea tonight, mashed potatoes, cauliflower, peas, carrots, red cabbage, gravy, Yorkshire puddings, vege sausages for me, roast pork in gravy for oh.
    Really enjoyed it.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Apr 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 6,970 Thanks
    caronc
    Quick dinner of cumberland sausage and mash (both from the freezer) with green beans and gravy
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May £30/£150
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 19th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Tonight we had quiche Lorraine, chips, and salad.

Tomorrow it'll be chicken and chorizo pasta!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £2 a Day in March 2017 - £71.66/£62 (2017 total - £41.32) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments - £155.12 | Emergency Savings - £0.00/£1000
    • beluga
    • By beluga 19th Apr 17, 9:55 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 4,933 Thanks
    beluga
    Tonight I had soup made from HM lamb stock, lentils, barley and spinach (odd combo but what I had in at the time), with a toasted roll and some sliced gammon from the weekend. All leftovers or oddments that wanted using up
    HM burrito for lunch. I make them up in batches and freeze so I can take them to work and stick in the microwave. Corn tortilla wraps, refried beans, mince, mushrooms and spinach sauteed with fajita seasoning and some grated cheese.
    • pretz
    • By pretz 19th Apr 17, 10:13 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,078 Thanks
    pretz
    Dinner tonight was roasted salmon, new potatoes, asparagus, carrots and broccoli all smothered in lemon and dill. Absolutely delist even the mini-monsters who hates fish tried it and asked for some. Win win I say.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th Apr 17, 12:16 AM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 42,650 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I did a quick and easy favourite yet again, Jack Monroe's Creamy Salmon Pasta With A Chilli Lemon Kick. I hadn't intended to make this, but I'd accidentally left a tub of quark out of the fridge when putting the shopping away. It had to be used so 250g of quark replaced the usual yogurt in this. It made the sauce creamier, but otherwise it tasted the same, This can be prepared in around 15 mins from scratch, it really is a lovely alternative to ready meals when you have no time to cook,
    The quark more than doubled the usual cost of making this super-economical meal, but I did enjoy it, and the fact that the quark wasn't wasted.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 7:40 AM
    • 11,300 Posts
    • 142,595 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be our usual home made soup with some quorn mini scotch eggs for me and with mini scotch eggs and toast for He Who Knows.

Supper this evening will be jacket potatoes with baked beans and cheese and a nice big salad followed by a low fat gooseberry yoghurt each.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 8:15 AM
    • 16,718 Posts
    • 40,293 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I bought 496gm of lamb's liver yesterday reduced to 54p so it will be liver and bacon casserole tonight.

As there's only 2 of us I might skimp on the liver and save half for next week in a different dish.
    I'd pop it in the freezer, I don't like liver that's been in too long but find that a week or so is fine.

That would be really cheap at 13.5p per portion of protein.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th Apr 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 42,650 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I bought 496gm of lamb's liver yesterday reduced to 54p so it will be liver and bacon casserole tonight.

As there's only 2 of us I might skimp on the liver and save half for next week in a different dish.
    I'd pop it in the freezer, I don't like liver that's been in too long but find that a week or so is fine.

That would be really cheap at 13.5p per portion of protein.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    That's got me thinking along the same lines, using some of my "cooking bacon" mis-shapes from Heron Foods. The lambs' liver is £1 a pound in there. It's small pieces that are ideal for casseroles. I use a packet of Aldi stuffing for a topping- made up, unlike when I use it to coat fishcakes.
    I can't remember when I last had stuffing as stuffing with a roast meal.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 20th Apr 17, 9:11 AM
    • 4,523 Posts
    • 45,698 Thanks
    Jazee
    Mmm must make liver and bacon casserole some time.

Tonight we're having Coop meal deal as it's easy - boneless breaded chicken and chips which I love, with some coleslaw.

Just remembered I bought a cooking for one recipe book at the village event on Saturday, must take a look at it.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Apr £255.59 Total £4000/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £242.39/£365
    Money spent on garden £127.06

• hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 20th Apr 17, 9:25 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Last night we had a soup and crumble night - hm carrot and coriander served with bread and some cheese, followed by apple and sultana crumble and ice cream.

Tonight we're having an aldi piri piri spatchcock chicken with new potatoes and salad, with low fat yogurt and berries for pud.
    Weight lost since 8th July 2016 - 1 stone 4 lbs
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Apr 17, 9:37 AM
    • 16,718 Posts
    • 40,293 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm trying out Mary Berry's potato, leek and cheese pie.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Re this - I have some filling left over and don't really want to use it in another pie.

I'm thinking that if I can thin it down with a bit of veg stock, it might make into soup but not sure if it will work with the cheese in it.

I'm not going to throw it away so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Apr 17, 2:15 PM
    • 11,300 Posts
    • 142,595 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It ought to make a really nice soup if you blitz it with some milk and maybe add a chicken stock cube or it would make a lovely impossible quiche if you whisked it into some eggs should be very savoury and creamy OR if you made some big Yorkshire puddings as the container it would make a really nice filling for those!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 20th Apr 17, 6:18 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 30,908 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Still using up Easter bits and pieces here

Chicken marinated in olive oil, lemon, garlic and oregano with advacado salad, blue cheese dressing and Jacket potatoes

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

April GC £300/£347.00
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 20th Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    60g Spaghetti with a prawn, mushroom and tomato and basil sauce. Made from scratch. With a salad on the side.
    Pudding: fresh raspberries and blueberries with natural yoghurt.
    £2 Savers Club 2017 -no 1 target £300
    Save £12k in 2017 - no 68 ( 2252.13/6000)
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 - no 20 £33.24/£100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,186Posts Today

6,182Users online

Martin's Twitter