Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2177
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 30,903 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Had a bit more time on my hands today, so tried something new to us.

Shanghai Style Belly Pork with stirfry Veg noodles

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

April GC £300/£347.00
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 16th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Macaroni cheese topped with crunchy breadcrumb and cheese mixture and baby leaf salad.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 45,693 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Mash and beans tonight (mash liberated from the freezer), Quorn sausages for OH and grilled turkey breast (again from the freezer) for me.

Not sure what tomorrow will be - might be a 'fend for yourself' / grab something from the freezer night.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• katkin
    • By katkin 16th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    katkin
    Loving all the sausage and mash dishes happening tonight. I'll have to add sausage casserole to my menu plan next week.

IslandMaid I adore pork belly dishes and especially anything with a eastern theme. Your meal looks delicious.

We're not big lamb eaters, hubs finds it too greasy and it's the most expensive meat to buy here. A bit surprising as the countryside is full of lambs.. Anyhoo, I have lamb steaks from the butchers that I'm going to treat like beef steaks by doing a quick pan fry. I feel that a sauce of some sort would be nice but it's going to be a big crunchy fruity salad side and oven wedges for him. Im still not doing potato because of lent, it's soooo hard.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 16th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 6,097 Thanks
    karcher
    I have mainly been eating cheese and toast today with 0.5 of a tomato in a cheese and mayo toasty late afternoon

I may have the remaining portion of my aubergine, spicy tomato sauce thing later with some rice or I may just have some more bread and cheese

I'm really not worthy of this thread
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 45,693 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I have mainly been eating cheese and toast today with 0.5 of a tomato in a cheese and mayo toasty late afternoon

I may have the remaining portion of my aubergine, spicy tomato sauce thing later with some rice or I may just have some more bread and cheese

Originally posted by karcher
    Bread and cheese....the reason food was invented yum!
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 30,903 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    may just have some more bread and cheese

Not worthy - phahh - Bread and cheese - LUSH....

April GC £300/£347.00
    • katkin
    • By katkin 16th Mar 17, 8:51 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    katkin

Of course you are worthy! What about sticking your aubergine mix on bread and baking in the oven topped with cheese?
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 16th Mar 17, 9:03 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Tonight was meant to be sausage sandwich and beans, but I got home later than planned so it was scrambled eggs on toast.

Yesterday was chicken fajitas, which were nice but I must remember to get some more milk next time as they were a little hotter than I thought they would be (I'm not good with any spicy XD)
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £2 a Day in March 2017 - £71.66/£62 (2017 total - £41.32) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments - £155.12 | Emergency Savings - £0.00/£1000
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Mar 17, 8:10 AM
    • 11,294 Posts
    • 142,506 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh I wish.....bread and cheese is the food of the Gods!!!!!

Lunch today will be partaken on the train up to DD1 where I'm off for the weekend for a concert and will be a chicken salad and some dried fruit and peanuts and supper this evening will be one of DD2s inventions which is chicken breasts spread with pesto and topped with low fat mozzarella and tray baked in the oven on a bed of baby spinach, cherry tomatoes and asparagus spears. The whole lot is drizzled with a smidgeon of olive oil, seasoned with salt and black pepper and popped into the oven for around 40 minutes until the cheese is beautifully melty, the veg is cooked and the chicken breasts are properly cooked through. It's yummy!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 17th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 3,386 Posts
    • 30,903 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Have a lovely weekend MrsLW

No cooking for me today as it's Date Night

Made a lazy Lime Cheesecake, the one where you mix cream, condensed milk and lime juice- used gingernuts for the base, so that's weekend puds sorted

Last edited by Islandmaid; 17-03-2017 at 3:19 PM.

April GC £300/£347.00
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 17th Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 33,276 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight is Ham Salad with Crusty Bread
    CURRENTLY READING PAPER HEARTS AND SUMMER KISSES - CAROLE MATTHEWS
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £45
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £410/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 17th Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 10,118 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    Spaghetti Carbonara and Garlic Bread
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 45 (only 45 to go )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 37 (only 43 to go )
    Grocery Challenge October £750
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 16,705 Posts
    • 40,262 Thanks
    Pollycat
    So yesterday we had:
    Starters - Lamb Keftedes (Lamb meatballs, breadcrumbs, onion herbs, and mint sauce) and Sucuk (Special Turkish spicy sausage pan fried with fresh tomatoes and peppers).

Mains - Kleftiko for me (Joint of lamb slowly cooked in the oven with oregano, garlic and herbs) and Beef Stifado (Diced beef in red wine sauce, onion and herbs, slow cooked in olive oil) for OH.
    With a nice bottle of rioja.

Lovely meal and we were served by the nicest young waitress you could hope to meet.

Tonight I'm doing Spicy Turkish Lamb's Liver Albanian Style.
    Had put it on the menu before we decided to eat out yesterday.

Will serve it on some flat-breads (embarrassingly not home-made (sorry, IM) - I have a bit of a hangover tbh, after we left the restaurant we went to the pub and polished off another bottle of wine ).
    And some yoghurt and mint.

First time making so hope it goes OK.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4,519 Posts
    • 45,658 Thanks
    Jazee
    We're having shop bought meatballs in hm tomato sauce with pasta, and garlic bread.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Apr £255.59 Total £4000/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £242.39/£365
    Money spent on garden £127.06

• gt568
    • By gt568 17th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    gt568
    Chinky then boozer.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • Mayflower10cat
    • By Mayflower10cat 17th Mar 17, 4:27 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    Mayflower10cat
    Homemade Pizza!! With goats cheese and artichokes to top it. My favourite fakeaway.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 6,896 Thanks
    caronc
    M&S southern fried chicken & coleslaw with a baked spud
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May £30/£150
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 17th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 9,879 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Another home made Pizza here. Feta cheese, roasted peppers and cheddar cheese. I usually put pepperoni and cherry tomatoes on as well but didn't have any in.

I love making pizza dough in my bread machine and DH slices the vegetables. Result! Just an assembly job.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 17th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 58,088 Posts
    • 333,832 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I popped out to the shops unexpectedly ... didn't need anything, but I was going a bit stir crazy I think.... and I appear to have arrived home with a bar of turkish delight chocolate, 6 jam/curd tarts and 3 mini cheesecakes ... and 2 bananas (guilt trip purchase).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,547Posts Today

7,050Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @itvMLshow: We are filming tomorrow in Torremolinos! If you're in the area, head to Branigans on Av. Palma de Mallorca between 5pm-6.45p?

• RT @mmhpi: ??The money and mental health manifesto - 10 steps to boost #mentalhealth & financial #wellbeing for Britain #GE2017 https://t.c?

• In Spain in a restaurant ready for filming in Torremolinos tomorrow (do come and see us if you're there) watching #mcfcmufc #CTID

• Follow Martin