Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 579.62/ 579.62New challenge 155.73/500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!6609.20 / 7500
Page 2176
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 7,368 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Southern coated Quorn 'chicken' burgers here with YS 9p spicy wedges and salad. Plus OH had some beans with his. Salad was ok but didn't seem as crunchy as it might (was a Bristo salad from Lidl)

Lunch for me was some salady bits and an IM flatbread. It actually seemed easier to roll after being in the fridge for a day (or so) Have got one more left (cooked now) that I'll prob have tomorrow.

Took advantage of the weekly veg offer in Lidl to get some mange tout for a thai green curry tomorrow - and some lemons for my gin
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 58,689 Posts
    • 337,986 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I bought a bag of 8 baking spuds, so having to plough through those. Although they keep for a long time I do like to "break the back" of them so that, should they start sprouting as I'd abandoned them, the thought of ploughing through the rest isn't so horrendous.

So it was a spud .... and I've always got beans, so a tin was opened ... and I've always got cheese, so a large pile was tossed on top.

Eaten with a teaspoon from a bowl, sitting on the sofa.

A bit later on .... I defrosted two mini scones and lobbed some 30p jam onto them and ate those too.

I think I'll stop saying how much I weigh for awhile, I think I'd be lying if I just repeated what it was 2-3 weeks ago .... I definitely feel a lot heftier.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 31,230 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I don't discuss weight either PN - but all I need is an Essex/Marbs spray tan and I could work for Willie Wonka
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Mar 17, 7:30 AM
    • 16,938 Posts
    • 41,154 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Last night we had Birds Eye Inspirations chargrilled pollock with lemon, herb and thyme.

I'm not sure who 'inspired' this dish but I was certainly underwhelmed.

TBF, it did only cost 1.75 on offer at Iceland but I have another box - tomato and herb - in the freezer and would contemplate chucking it out if I didn't hate waste so much.

The best part was the new potatoes and green beans.

Tonight is the legs & wings from the garlic & herb spatchcock chicken from Monday which I'll serve with wedges and I'm sure OH will want baked beans.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 11,443 Posts
    • 144,096 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be leek and potato soup with chicken for me and a toasted muffin for He Who Knows (they need using up) and supper tonight will be a chicken curry from the Hairy Dieters Diet Book which I picked up months ago n a charity shop and 'found' on the bookshelf yesterday with some basmati rice and minty cucumber raita, the first picking of rhubarb from the allotment arrived yesterday so that will be pud, I cooked it in the slow cooker so it stayed in chunks and sweetened it with stevia.

Sorry if I've been boring you all to death with the weight loss, it still has novelty value for me and I still can't believe I've done it, I do realise it's not good reading for all though!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 15th Mar 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 9,920 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Sausage casserole in the slow cooker. OH will serve it with mash and cabbage. He has been in charge of food since Saturday as I have a dreadful cold and cough. He got it Sunday but is recovering faster than me.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 15th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 33,382 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight will be Chicken Korma and Basmati Rice
    CURRENTLY READING THE CURVY GIRLS CLUB - MICHELLE GORMAN
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 55
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - 430/667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 15th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Working from home lunch was roast chicken, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches.
    Afternoon snack raspberry crumble traybake and dinner will be chicken and mushroom casserole with carrots, allotment peas (still using up last years frozen) made the casserole last night and added some white wine and herbs so hoping it is nice - will add some cream and egg yolk later after thickening the sauce. Will be reheating some mashed potato (lazy but I really hate making fresh mash on a weekday - too much mess - and hopefully there will be sufficient LO mash from Sunday dinner to go round (I can go without have had too many carbs today - problem with home working!!) will steam some broccoli to go along side!!
    Pudding will be whatever is left of the cookies and maybe a blob of ice cream if they want it
    SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 15th Mar 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 24,625 Thanks
    maddiemay
    It is a using up bits and bobs day here today, had a few hectic days so needed to get a grip on what was languishing in the fridge. Some chicken, mushrooms and wilty veg made into a very tasty soup for lunch and enough for tomorrow

Tonight OH is finishing some ragout in a jacket potato and I have a leftover rice dish, both with carrots, green beans and broccoli. Cake or nutty, seedy flapjacks if he needs filling up.

I woke with a full on head cold, should have gone out for chicken thighs for proper chicken soup, but CBA - tomorrow hopefully.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 15th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 31,230 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Mrs LW - you deffo do not bore me - I love all the gossip on here

HM Chilli here, also made baguettes and turned one into Garlic Bread instead of rice.

May GC 300/191.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Mar 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 8,569 Thanks
    caronc
    Griddled turkey steak with onions, mushrooms, pepper and baby plum tomatoes with lots of herbs and garlic
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • karcher
    • By karcher 15th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    karcher
    Lunch today will be leek and potato soup with chicken for me and a toasted muffin for He Who Knows (they need using up) and supper tonight will be a chicken curry from the Hairy Dieters Diet Book which I picked up months ago n a charity shop and 'found' on the bookshelf yesterday with some basmati rice and minty cucumber raita, the first picking of rhubarb from the allotment arrived yesterday so that will be pud, I cooked it in the slow cooker so it stayed in chunks and sweetened it with stevia.

Sorry if I've been boring you all to death with the weight loss, it still has novelty value for me and I still can't believe I've done it, I do realise it's not good reading for all though!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I've been AWOL from posting in this thread for a couple of days due to a lack of cooking , but I always lurk.

MrsLW your posts and daily menus are inspiring and I admire you for your weight loss..it takes determination and strength imo

So apologise not Mrs...Well done to you and I really should take a leaf out of your recipe book
    Last edited by karcher; 15-03-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 7,368 Posts
    • 46,006 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Mrs LW - you deffo do not bore me - I love all the gossip on here
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Me too

Thai green curry tonight - had a tub of green (blow your head off) paste in the fridge that I'd kind of forgotten about (lasts ages) so dug that out, with some Quorn pieces and bought some mange tout (Rodney ) and baby corn. Had coconut milk in, plus some spring onions to use up so they went in too - and a 'cube' of frozen lemon juice. All eaten with rice, and a portion for the freezer (would've been two but OH wanted seconds).

So the freezer is stocked with a few HM ready meals (curry from the other night x 2, a lasagne and now a thai curry)

I was going to make a split pea and potato curry tomorrow but we had curry on Sat night, plus Thai curry tonight and not sure if I might be overdoing the curry thing if I do another tomorrow.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• katkin
    • By katkin 15th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    katkin
    I look forward to reading MrsLW's posts, lovely menus and very inspiring. Fantastic result on the weight loss front too, please keep telling us!

HM spicy burgers with toppings in lettuce wraps for me and a roll for hubs. I actually bought one roll from the bakers from him, think they thought I was a bit odd as they repeated the order! I adore things in iceberg wraps, the texture, crunch and freshness against the hot savoury filling is gorgeous.

Hm red cabbage coleslaw on the side, my favourite.

I got around to using some of my pre-made crumble mix on rhubarb and lo strawberries on their way out. I'm a too full to have some and think I may not as it went down really well with Mr K.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 11,443 Posts
    • 144,096 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Swimming at the late morning session today (to see if it's less crowded) so I'll make soup (surprise!!!) as I have some carrots and leeks that need using for our lunch after that and for He Who Knows for the next few days as I'm off Westwards to DD1 for a choral society concert this weekend.

Supper this evening will be a chilli con carne with salad but made with some chicken that also needs using up. 99 calorie chocolate shots, nummy nummy, for pudding after it.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Mar 17, 1:02 PM
    • 16,938 Posts
    • 41,154 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I like reading everyone's posts, not just for what you're eating but other stuff too.

IM - I love chilli with garlic bread.

I'm on strike tonight.

Not really, we're going for a Turkish meal.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 16th Mar 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 8,569 Thanks
    caronc
    Cumberland sausages, mash, swede, peas, carmelised onions and gravy
    Feb GC 122/100, Mar GC 131/150, April GC 150/160, May 150/150
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 16th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    Cumberland sausages, mash, swede, peas, carmelised onions and gravy
    Originally posted by caronc
    sounds yummy. we are having fish n chips from the chippy tonight. for a change.
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Mar 17, 6:31 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 31,230 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Had a bit more time on my hands today, so tried something new to us.

Shanghai Style Belly Pork with stirfry Veg noodles

May GC 300/191.00
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 16th Mar 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 9,920 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Macaroni cheese topped with crunchy breadcrumb and cheese mixture and baby leaf salad.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,419Posts Today

6,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin