Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2175
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Mar 17, 6:11 PM
    • 16,938 Posts
    • 41,156 Thanks
    Pollycat
    But I don't think it's the one you mention as it's take away only and FAMOUS!
    Originally posted by melanzana
    And - IIRC - expensive too.

Tonight is garlic & herb spatchcock chicken with pommes savoyard and OH's mushroom, onion, courgette and tomato mix that we usually do with steak.

I wanted something different to a traditional dinner.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    karcher
    I've cooked again

Aubergine, broccoli, green pepper, carrot, mushrooms, onion, garlic and chilli in a spicy tomato sauce...to be served with IM flatbreads

Smells good
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 13th Mar 17, 6:19 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Everything sounding yummy!!!!

Roast chicken, stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwiches today - best part of a roast over the weekend is the sandwiches on Monday/Tues !

Made some country veg soup on Saturday using up veg in the fridge and cannellini beans and a bit of bacon (and parmesan rind) so its a hearty soup to have some dinner and use it up

Got some mince beef hash on the go for tomorrow and procrastinating about getting in the kitchen to make some cookies and traybake and get a casserole on the go for later in the week

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • karcher
    • By karcher 13th Mar 17, 6:30 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    karcher
    Meat Free Monday here and all I really want now is fish and chips

Hey Ho - dinner was Field Mushrooms with Halloumi, vegetable rice and a Corrander and lime yogurt dressing. It was yummy and used up lots of odds and ends in the fridge

Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Oh burger..I want that now

Looks fabulous and there's my fave Halloumi again *sighs*
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 13th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 9,920 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Chickpea and potato masala with raita and mango chutney.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 13th Mar 17, 6:59 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Using up roast leftovers so chicken and leek pie with mange tout and kale.
    May grocery challenge £183.38/£250 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £500/£1,000 | May NSD 3/16
    Credit Card: PAID | Car Finance: £9,551 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £112,471 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £2,669.06
    • katkin
    • By katkin 13th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 7,127 Thanks
    katkin
    Now I want halloumi, curry, pie and fish and chips

Just home from work and hungry, hungry hubby is in the back of nine, do I wait or do I eat and wrap his up on a plate? Decisions, decisions..

Since its prawn stir fry with noodles I reckon I'll wait as I don't think I'd appreciate that microwaved to heat. In the meantime I have an orange and kiwi I didn't manage today.

Fish and chips, oh boy oh boy
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 8,577 Thanks
    caronc
    Peri peri chicken thighs, roast veg, baked spud
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May £150/£150
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Mar 17, 9:57 PM
    • 7,368 Posts
    • 46,012 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think if you just leave it uncovered the yellowing may well fade. Give it a stiff ignoring for a while and see what happens.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I am currently ignoring it...although it's hard as its right at my head height where I sit on the sofa...have to keep turning the other cheek...literally

I've cooked again

Aubergine, broccoli, green pepper, carrot, mushrooms, onion, garlic and chilli in a spicy tomato sauce...to be served with IM flatbreads

Smells good
    Originally posted by karcher
    I love the fact they are now universally known as IM flatbreads on this thread ohhh that gives me an idea for lunch tomorrow - I still have 2 I need to roll out that stuck together (been in the fridge, hopefully ok) ...I'm thinking IM flatbread fish finger wrap for lunch tomorrow...

Tonight I went retro with fish in the bag and rice with some mixed veg...which OH ate without looking like I was trying to poison him and I didn't have to grate it / mash it / puree it / cover it in spicy sauce to hide the fact it was veg...progress indeed

Tomorrow I'm thinking Southern Fried Quorn burgers with beans (OH) and prob veg (me) and salad if i get any at the supermarket tomorrow (need lemons and mog food). Now it's finally feeling like spring I'm trying to embrace the desire for salad (except iceberg lettuce which is still eye wateringly £££)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• annarichart
    • By annarichart 14th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    annarichart
    I'm on the diet so I just have some vegetable and a small cup of low-fat milk for my dinner. It helps me to lose weight and save a large amount of money
    Last edited by annarichart; 16-03-2017 at 6:35 AM.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Mar 17, 7:50 AM
    • 11,446 Posts
    • 144,109 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be some more home made soup and half an avocado with low calorie balsamic dressing and supper this evening will be oriental crispy baked salmon and a green veg stir fry with the inevitable 99 calorie fat free yoghurt somewhere in the day! only .6 to go to BMI 25!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • C J
    • By C J 14th Mar 17, 9:28 AM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 4,635 Thanks
    C J
    Well done, Mrs LW!

Today I will be making some meals using the leftover chicken from Sunday night's roast - I cooked two large chickens so we'd have plenty to eat (and three of my guests had a preference for chicken legs). So I have a very large bowl of stripped meat in the fridge, and a pressure cooker full of gorgeous smelling chicken stock on the hob.

The stock will be used to make soups for our lunches this week. Today's will be chicken, vegetable and pearl barley broth.

For dinners I will be making a chicken and sweetcorn puff pastry pie, some Chinese chicken, bean sprout and water chestnut in black bean sauce, and a chicken and potato curry.

There should even be enough left to stretch into a couple of lunch dishes, if I'm careful. Maybe some chicken, ham, leek and cheese pasties, and a little chicken and sweetcorn mayo to go on top of two jacket potatoes.

I like 'cooking days', they are so satisfying!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • redlady_1
    • By redlady_1 14th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 13,710 Thanks
    redlady_1
    Pork stir fry last night with LO pork from Sunday. Tonight is HM minced beef and onion pie with boiled spuds as requested by Mr RL
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 14th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 11,633 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    All this talk of Halloumi - I've given in! We're having fried halloumi with green salad and tomato salsa!
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 14th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 33,386 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Tonights dinner is Chicken Fajitas with Salad
    CURRENTLY READING THE CURVY GIRLS CLUB - MICHELLE GORMAN
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £55
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 14th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    angelpye
    Tonight for use its meatballs in gravy with cous cous and broccoli. DD's request, never made this line up before but thought would give it a try. Mine are veggie meatballs but beef for madam
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF £0/£4200
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 14th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    Minced beef and potato hash tonight with bread and butter - I made it last night in case I was really late back but got back on time!! Time to put feet up - just need to reheat the Hash - I had a taste and it was as good as I remembered as a kid!!

I did finally do some baking so raspberry crumble traybake using up some of last years frozen gold and red raspberries and chocolate cookies - I wonder how long they will last??
    Family of 4 plus cat!
    • babes21
    • By babes21 14th Mar 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    babes21
    Tonight's dinner for us will be Spaghetti and Meatballs, yum.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 31,231 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Mrs LW - That's Fab! Your food always sounds so tasty too, so goes to prove you can eat brilliantly eating healthier.

Now in contrast . Mid week comfort food here

Bangers, mash, peas and onion gravy

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC £300/£191.00
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Mar 17, 6:16 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 8,577 Thanks
    caronc
    Bangers with a potato, courgette and mushroom bake
    Feb GC £122/£100, Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May £150/£150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,564Posts Today

5,720Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin