Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2174
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 45,581 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I've tons of food. Loads of it. My cupboards runneth over .... but on the basis I can't even be bothered to pick up two pieces of bread and put them into a toaster, it's all irrelevant

EDIT: I eventually dragged myself through to the kitchen - thinking I had it all under control - bread in the toaster, grab grated cheese from the fridge ..OMG ...not enough cheese, so I had to get the s0ddin' grater out and grate a bit more.

On the sofa now, cheese toastie and black coffee
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Oh that's annoying when there isn't quite enough grated cheese. Glad that you had something to eat, we'd noticed you'd been a little quiet of late. I was missing your down to earth grub x
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 11th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 41,085 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Brekkie was porridge, lunch was a New Covent Garden Soup from Heron Foods (green veg one, very nice). Tea was bratwurst and Rooster wedges.
    Stuffed...
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 57,556 Posts
    • 330,490 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I was missing your down to earth grub x
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I've been posting it elsewhere so didn't want to double post

For the record, today was:

egg/soldiers for breakfast.
    tex mex cheese/potato pie, beans and sausages for lunch
    cheese toastie for tea.

Also scoffed: 5 chocolates, 6 bourbon biscuits
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 4:06 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    karcher
    Last night: x 4 Fish Fingers with lettuce and mayo in x 2 Ciabatta rolls with a sliced tomato on the side.
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 12th Mar 17, 8:09 AM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 44,727 Thanks
    Jazee
    Today I've just had weetabix for breakfast, will have some more of the crustless quiche for lunch, and dinner will be a starter of leek and potato soup, and then roast beef with all the trimmings.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Mar £878.67 Total £3623.08/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £101.25/£365
    Money spent on garden £58.68

• C J
    • By C J 12th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 4,297 Thanks
    C J
    I've invited all the family round for dinner tonight (a bit ambitious, as I'm still not moving well and am easily exhausted!) and will be doing a Moroccan-spiced cauliflower soup with crusty bread, oils and dukkah to start and then a full roast chicken dinner. Yesterday I made a baked Malteser cheesecake for pud so at least that's one less thing to do today. I'm sure Mister C J will help with peeling veg etc though.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 17, 9:45 AM
    • 16,323 Posts
    • 39,121 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've invited all the family round for dinner tonight (a bit ambitious, as I'm still not moving well and am easily exhausted!) and will be doing a Moroccan-spiced cauliflower soup with crusty bread, oils and dukkah to start and then a full roast chicken dinner. Yesterday I made a baked Malteser cheesecake for pud so at least that's one less thing to do today. I'm sure Mister C J will help with peeling veg etc though.
    Originally posted by C J
    I hope Mr CJ will also help with putting things in and taking things out of the oven.

Enjoy your day but don't overdo it.

Lunch today will be olive tapenade - black or green or maybe both - with baguette.

Dinner will be some form of shepherd's pie - could be beef, lamb, pork, chicken or turkey, whichever has been in the freezer the longest & I find first.

Beef/lamb will have savoy cabbage added to the mash, any 'white' meat will have swede.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 3,294 Posts
    • 30,287 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I had planned a chilli, rice and nachoes today, but DS is coming back for a training shift for his new seasonal job on Wednesday and he loves a chilli.

So, using up meal today Gammon, Cauliflower cheese and roasted root veg

Also have some rhubarb from the garden, will make a crumble and custard for pud

Leftover gammon for this weeks sarnies for Hubby
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 12-03-2017 at 4:29 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250/£252.00
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 17, 11:43 AM
    • 57,556 Posts
    • 330,490 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'm chucking a 43p pasty into the oven and nuking some sides of bubble/squeak and beans. Big splash of manly brown sauce will transform this gastronomic delight into a meal that will send shock waves of excitement crashing through social media

Pushing the boat out as this is a "big ticket item" which will cost 80p to put together! But it's Sunday, so less scrimping, eh!
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-03-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 11,094 Posts
    • 140,556 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Nice warm bowl of home made lentil and tomato soup for lunch with some chicken for me and toast for him and supper tonight will be oven cooked turkey schnitzel with German potato salad and green beans followed by a cherry, apple and prune compote and some 0% Greek yoghurt.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 12th Mar 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 6,307 Thanks
    melanzana
    Bear with me it's a bit long.

We were at a funeral in Dublin. They are two day (minimum) events. First day deceased is waked at home. There is enough food to feed an army and lashings of tea (no alcohol that day though). Might sound odd but we are used to the deceased being in the next room and everyone talking and OMG laughing, and reminiscing.

So there was a choice of Irish Stew and/or Coddle. I had a bit of both, and was transported back to my childhood. Absolutely mouthwateringly good. Coddle is an old Dublin dish and sounds disgusting but is just so so tasty and filling. Food of the gods for the poor of the time. My mother used to make it and we gobbled it up. Fed and watered on Friday so.

So next day the funeral was at 10am. After the committal in the cemetery we were invited back to an hotel for lunch. Everything under the sun on the menu. I had salmon in a lemony sauce with buttered potatoes and veg (we love our spuds lol).

Then the funeral group decanted to the bar, where drinks were laid on and a great hoolie (that's Irish for a party) took place. This is normal, don't worry, we enjoy funerals once the interment is over.

Then at 4pm platters of sandwiches were passed around.

I am not eating much today. Maybe an omellette or something.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 12th Mar 17, 3:29 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    It's Sunday so a roast was in order.

Roast chicken, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots, cauliflower, kale, Yorkshire pudding, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy

March grocery challenge £216.35/£300 | Emergency £1,000 challenge - £643.29/£1,000 | March NSD 7/15
    Credit Card: PAID | Car Finance: £9,738 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £112,601 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £2,828.15
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Mar 17, 7:57 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 45,581 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Been out training this morning, then home and a frenzy of housework, OH remarked on the state of the hall floor (must be bad for him to notice) so all floors streamed, bathroom was then spontaneously cleaned, kitchen cleaned, and some DIY.

Jacket spud in oven ATM. Will prob have with beans and cheese.

Found that a pile of leaflets that were sat on the windowsill have caused the white paint underneath to yellow...anyone got any ideas on how to remedy this without repainting?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• melanzana
    • By melanzana 12th Mar 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 6,307 Thanks
    melanzana
    A lovely thread.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 5,669 Thanks
    caronc
    Braised steak in a mushroom & onion gravy with root veg mash
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £115/£150
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 12th Mar 17, 8:45 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Steak baguette, followed by half a pack of Galaxy Minstrels.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £2 a Day in March 2017 - £71.66/£62 (2017 total - £41.32) | Womble #03 - £1.97 | Overpayments - £155.12 | Emergency Savings - £0.00/£1000
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    Slinky

Found that a pile of leaflets that were sat on the windowsill have caused the white paint underneath to yellow...anyone got any ideas on how to remedy this without repainting?
    Originally posted by kerri gt

I think if you just leave it uncovered the yellowing may well fade. Give it a stiff ignoring for a while and see what happens.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 5,466 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Asian style pork mince with wholewheat noodles & white cabbage salad. Was scrumptious and a small portion for lunch with the cabbage salad
    Emergency savings- £905.20 /£1750
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP [B]£643.54/2150. 29.9%[/
    Jan- £68.15, Feb- £306.67, March- £268.72
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 11,094 Posts
    • 140,556 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    More Lentil and Tomato soup for lunch today with chicken for me and a ham sandwich for He Who Knows and supper tonight will be 'skinny' Chicken Pasta Caprese with a green leafy salad. 99 calorie fat free yoghurt for pudding if wanted.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 13th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 41,085 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Yesterday was a 'not very hungry' day - a big bowl of porridge for brunch, then a very 'old fashioned' tea. Sardines on toast with a milk jelly (raspberry), which we often had for tea on Sunday.

I love coddle. Haven't had it for a while. A late BF of my sister's was Irish (from the North), and made a lovely version. I have all the ingredients in, usually. It's a good use of the thick bacon I get in the 2 for £1.49 900g mis-shapes packs from Heron.

The best porridge I've ever had was in Dublin as was the best fish and chips too (other than my mum's). The name of the restaurant escapes me, but it's one that was in the guidebooks.They had ancient dark wood furniture and Victorian tiling, I think they fry with beef dripping. This was almost twenty years ago... hope it's still there. The fish was hanging off the plate.
    Best fish and chips in the UK? Whitby.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,414Posts Today

7,918Users online

Martin's Twitter