Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 3:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 3:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 3:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 3:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2173
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    kerri gt
    kerri please do tell what are Rumbledethumps?
    Originally posted by karcher
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-rumbledethumps-450g

Second person i've explained what it is to tonight bascially bubble and squeak-esque with cheese...what's not to love

Regarding crustless quiches - I make the one from here that went round a while ago (aka impossible pie) and use an oval pyrex dish well greased - never had any issues with it sticking.

this is the version that was passed onto me here

Slight variation on impossible quiche that I feel I must pass on as it was given to me on here by Gintot

"Impossible quiche recipe from Hartcliffe Health and Environment Action Group otherwise known as "throw it together self crusting pie"

Ingredients serves2
    2eggs beaten
    60g grated tasty cheese
    1/2 small onion, chopped
    2 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
    50g self raising flour
    120 ml skimmed milk (I use semi)
    sprinkle dried herbs
    freshly ground black pepper
    100g of your choice chopped mushrooms, peppers, cherry toms, courgettes, sweet corn, peas, beans, grated pumpkin etc.

Method
    Preheat oven to 180. Spray a medium quiche dish or similar with baking spray.
    Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 30-35 minutes until set and golden brown.

I make it in advance and serve at room temperature. Often for three so I round the amounts up. My preferred filling includes peppers, mushrooms and smoked bacon."
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• karcher
    • By karcher 10th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 5,448 Thanks
    karcher
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-rumbledethumps-450g

Second person i've explained what it is to tonight bascially bubble and squeak-esque with cheese...what's not to love
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Sorry

Sounds fab though Thanks
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • katkin
    • By katkin 10th Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,653 Thanks
    katkin
    Thanks Kerri gt, so the trick is the Pyrex glass dish! I've tried non stick pans and glazed ceramics. The only Pyrex I have would be the wrong size for a 2 person and leftover size... Now I have an excuse to add to my Pyrex collection
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Sorry

Sounds fab though Thanks
    Originally posted by karcher
    No need to apologise, I'm quite happy spreading the Rumbledethumps love Sure its easy to make, but I have it as proper comfort grub which also means someone else has made it for me
    JAN NSD 11/16

• katkin
    • By katkin 10th Mar 17, 8:18 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 6,653 Thanks
    katkin
    That's what mine look like when they come out of the oven, but I can never turn it out on a separate plate to slice. Tastes lovely but always sticks.

Alas, I've given in and crumbled a crumble mix. I'll buy some cooking apples or rhubarb tomorrow if I can find it. Hubby always gets his wicked way Never mind requesting custard! Naughty boy
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 11-03-2017 at 9:30 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 5,448 Thanks
    karcher
    No need to apologise, I'm quite happy spreading the Rumbledethumps love Sure its easy to make, but I have it as proper comfort grub which also means someone else has made it for me
    If only

IM thanks for the link

katkin hope hubby appreciates your crumbling
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • babes21
    • By babes21 10th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 2,675 Thanks
    babes21
    Fish and Chips.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 10th Mar 17, 10:01 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    what's not to love
    £4.50/kg!
    • just trying
    • By just trying 10th Mar 17, 11:02 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    just trying
    Using a voucher to get fish & chips for tea tonight. Two for £12 (saving about £5) so I don't feel too bad!
    Originally posted by kboss2010
    Ashvale, yum.

Though the shop at Stonehaven harbour/beach is best ��.
    Last edited by just trying; 11-03-2017 at 8:41 PM.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Mar 17, 6:37 AM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 44,843 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning everyone, taking inspiration from here to plan this week's meals. So we'll have these 5 at some point and I'll make the crustless quiche now to keep in the fridge for a few days.

Roast beef dinner
    Fish & chips
    Chicken parmigiana with pasta and brocolli
    Gammon steaks, egg and chips
    Fish pie
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20)Mar £878.67 Total £3623.08/£12000
    Crazy clothes challenge 2017 (#29) £165.19/£365
    Money spent on garden £58.68

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Mar 17, 7:28 AM
    • 11,126 Posts
    • 140,843 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be salad with hard boiled eggs and a little grated cheese and supper tonight will be noodles with Pea and Bacon sauce with a dusting of grated parmesan and loads of fresh ground black pepper.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Mar 17, 7:32 AM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    kerri gt
    £4.50/kg!
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    #sorrynotsorry
    JAN NSD 11/16

• creative gal
    • By creative gal 11th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    creative gal
    If my husband has taken the pork steaks out of the freezer, dinner tonight will be pork steaks with some kind of rub (not sure which but I have several different mixes to choose from), probably served with chips and carrots and broccoli.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Mar 17, 5:44 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 30,397 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Dinner tonight was something special for Hubby - doesn't look much but it was lush

Pan Fried Duck Breast on Mushroom Risotto and a light salad

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250/£312.00
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 17, 5:55 PM
    • 57,619 Posts
    • 330,820 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've still no idea - you see, the trouble is, I should've been born pretty. Pretty girls get taken out to dinner ... and don't have to work out what's for tea every day.

I've got as far as dreaming up a cheese toastie - and eventually even dragged myself as far as the kitchen. I stood there, saw the bread, opened the fridge and saw the cheese, shut the fridge door, turned off the kitchen light and left the room. CBA.

But I'm starving.... really hungry .... it hurts.... so now it's a battle between laziness and belly before I eventually give in and make that toastie (although I do have some biscuits if I really CBA still).
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 3,310 Posts
    • 30,397 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    PN - - you have been missed

You have spawned a mini Crisp butty factory here

I wasn't born pretty - I was born greedy

I remember having a toasty maker back in the 80's - I spent more time with a scalded gob than I care to remember - Baked bean and cheese toasties
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

March GC £250/£312.00
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,642 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Good to see you back on here PN, do you have anything you can quickly heat up? Don't want you becoming run down and unwell from not eating.

Tonight we had Asda Indian takeaway I bought last week, cooked the rice myself and made IM flatbreads - getting better every time, this time I ran a little short of yoghurt so added a dollop of sour cream....seemed to work fine, two more to cook as they got stuck together when I was cooking the others and need re rolling.

Realised the date on my chicken tikka was 7th march....whoops!
    JAN NSD 11/16

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Mar 17, 6:28 PM
    • 57,619 Posts
    • 330,820 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Good to see you back on here PN, do you have anything you can quickly heat up? Don't want you becoming run down and unwell from not eating.
    I've tons of food. Loads of it. My cupboards runneth over .... but on the basis I can't even be bothered to pick up two pieces of bread and put them into a toaster, it's all irrelevant

EDIT: I eventually dragged myself through to the kitchen - thinking I had it all under control - bread in the toaster, grab grated cheese from the fridge ..OMG ...not enough cheese, so I had to get the s0ddin' grater out and grate a bit more.

On the sofa now, cheese toastie and black coffee
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 11-03-2017 at 6:42 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Mar 17, 7:22 PM
    • 16,383 Posts
    • 39,304 Thanks
    Pollycat
    No cooking today.
    Had a lovely day out with my li'l sis in the city.

I bought lunch which consisted of:
    Aloo Gobi. Tarka dhal, onion bhaji, lamb samosa, veg samosa, poppadom, raita & mixed pickle
    Beef in black bean sauce, egg fried rice & green beans in garlic sauce
    Mushroom masala (I missed this on my first pass) & garlic naan
    Mango ice cream & crushed meringue

Washed down with 2 glasses of Shiraz

I'll probably not eat for a week.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 11th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 33,142 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight was Beef Casserole and Dumplings
    CURRENTLY READING A SPRING AFFAIR - MILLY JOHNSON
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £20
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £410/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

258Posts Today

2,292Users online

Martin's Twitter