Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2049
    • PenguinOfDeath
    • By PenguinOfDeath 18th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 7,693 Thanks
    PenguinOfDeath
    Fridge content pasta....tonight it was chorizo, prawns, chilli, courgette soft cheese and lemon juice...it was a spicy one!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 18th Oct 16, 8:20 PM
    • 7,000 Posts
    • 44,029 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Pasta here tonight too - I was still working when OH got in so he whacked some pasta on - I was going to have shepherds hash but didn't say no to pasta if someone was cooking for me.

Popped into L!dl today for cat food and came out with carrots & parsnips both on offer this week, with some cavelo nero and satsumas. None of the veg was really needed and no idea what i'm going to really do with it all Love autumn foods though.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 18th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 5,566 Posts
    • 29,531 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I couldn't be bothered to cook so lo had lo pasta and bolognese from sat & I had a bowl of hm BNS soup I made yesterday with toast. Was delish!
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Oct 16, 9:22 PM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,562 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thorough decadence today DD2 treated us to Pizza out at lunchtime and by the time we'd driven back from the west country we were so hungry we got chips from the fish and chip shop with a sausage for him and a mushy pea fritter for me.....and they were smashing!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Nomoonatall
    • By Nomoonatall 18th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Nomoonatall
    Stone Soup! Unfortunately my neighbours hate me, so it's a bit bland...and crunchy!

Hope it'll soften up by tomorrow!
    • JIL
    • By JIL 18th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 15,806 Thanks
    JIL
    Night off for me, working away so I had a nandos, which was loads of olives, halloumi and mushroom pitta, corn and spicy rice. I think they were having pasta and meatballs at home.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,562 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be cold wartime sausage pie with home made coleslaw and chutney and supper tonight will be bubble and squeak with streaky bacon and poached eggs. Apple crumble left if we need it.

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 19th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 2,594 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Jackets with baked beans and cheese. Lovely.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • C J
    • By C J 19th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 4,065 Thanks
    C J
    Tonight will be another portion of the lamb tagine I made yesterday. I ended up padding it out with diced sweet potatoes, tinned chickpeas and a few handfuls of spinach from the garden .... and it was really tasty. Perfect spicy comfort food now the evenings are getting cooler.

I've run out of puddings for Mister CJ but I have quite a lot of spare eggs as the hens are still laying very well so I might make a large creme caramel tonight so he has puds for the next few days
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • The all new me
    • By The all new me 19th Oct 16, 8:26 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    The all new me
    cold wartime sausage pie
    Sounds interesting..... what is it?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,562 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's a pack of sausage meat mixed with a few chopped rashers of streaky bacon, a chopped onion, a chopped apple and some brown sauce baked in a shortcrust pastry in a deep sided pie/cake tin for a couple of hours at a low temperature 160deg C/gas Mk 3. It's nice hot but nicer cold when it slices like a pork pie and keeps well for a few days in the fridge. The original recipe is in a Marguerite Patten book of wartime recipes called The Victory Cook Book. It's useful for a buffet type meal at Christmas instead of making individual sausage rolls.

• C J
    • By C J 19th Oct 16, 9:58 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 4,065 Thanks
    C J
    Ooh, I like the sound of that.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 56,000 Posts
    • 321,775 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Living the single life of always and almost only ever seeming to eat "leftovers", I'd opened a pack of tortillas the other week, so still ploughing through those (pack of 8). I'd also got chickpeas I'd bought months ago.... and 6 cans of tuna that've been lurking for 2 years that need using up.

So it'll be a simple chickpea and tuna mix as a wrap filling ... and, guess what .... that'll produce a pot of leftover filling to put in the fridge for either "later on, got to plough through it", or tomorrow as "OMG that again".

I've still got 4 tortillas .... if they go in the freezer I'll simply never fancy them again and they'll take up space.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Oct 16, 12:35 PM
    • 56,000 Posts
    • 321,775 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... wartime .... pie...
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    What the recipe books don't tell you is that a lot of people didn't have an oven at the time, so couldn't make themselves a pie. Pies had to be taken to the bakehouse, baked there, then collected later

My mum's household didn't have an oven until just before the war when they moved into a new social housing road from their 1850s 2-up-2-down cottage and into a 4-bed "council house" (not council, it was a privately funded and built small estate).

I doubt baking any kind of pie was high on the agenda, or understanding, of my G-gran (born 1880) who hadn't seen an oven by then (aged about 55), so maybe she didn't even bother to buy one as she was "used to what she was used to".
    My mum was pretty rubbish at pastry, probably because she never tried cooking it until the 1960s. Gran's was "so so", she made Xmas mince pies (thick pastry that was), but that was her lot and you'd not write home about them!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 19th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 9,287 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Cauliflower cheese, jacket potato, sausages and green beans.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 19th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 9,560 Posts
    • 21,314 Thanks
    suki1964
    Liver and bacon. I've still got a load of leeks so will hide some in there, and there's cauliflower to be used. I think I'll cook it all then make a cauliflower cheese for tomorrow with and chuck in the left over broccoli and the last of the leeks and serve with toad

Sounds like a plan
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 19th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 9,560 Posts
    • 21,314 Thanks
    suki1964
    Living the single life of always and almost only ever seeming to eat "leftovers", I'd opened a pack of tortillas the other week, so still ploughing through those (pack of 8). I'd also got chickpeas I'd bought months ago.... and 6 cans of tuna that've been lurking for 2 years that need using up.

So it'll be a simple chickpea and tuna mix as a wrap filling ... and, guess what .... that'll produce a pot of leftover filling to put in the fridge for either "later on, got to plough through it", or tomorrow as "OMG that again".

I've still got 4 tortillas .... if they go in the freezer I'll simply never fancy them again and they'll take up space.

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I don't know if you use your hob or if that's something you avoid?

If you can use it and have a frying pan, you could make quesadillas - toasted sandwiches - using the tortillas. Just heat the pan dry, put in a tortilla, chuck in tuna, cheese, onions, whatever , put another tortilla on top and when the bottom one is crisp, flip it over and toast the other side

Or you could cut them up, dry fry till crisp, and use to dip. If you have a blender or even a potato masher you could make a pretty tasty dip out of the chick peas, oil, garlic, or whatever flavouring you have
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 19th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 2,988 Posts
    • 27,544 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Some lush sounding meals again -

Lyn your pie sounds yummy, is that from a war time cookbook?

Mr S - nice to 'see' you back - you keep cooking like that you won't be Mr S for long 😄

Lamb Cutlets here from Market Porter, with Boulanger potato's, mange tout and carrots

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Oct 16, 6:19 PM
    • 10,604 Posts
    • 135,562 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's in the Marguerite Patten 'The Victory Cookbook' ISLANDMAID x.

• PenguinOfDeath
    • By PenguinOfDeath 19th Oct 16, 8:15 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 7,693 Thanks
    PenguinOfDeath
    Pan fried seabass fillets with braised cavalo nero, mash and lemon butter.

Dead tasty for something so simple
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,742Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter