Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2047
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Oct 16, 7:07 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 44,068 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Can I join you and PN...I'm feeling much the same as you.

I had some large slices of seeded wholemeal bread toasted with loads of butter and honey for brunch.

I made a huge chilli yesterday made with some homegrown aubergines and peppers (plus mushrooms) but one of the aubergines had a maggot in it and whilst that obviously got thrown away...I can't bring myself to eat any of it.

I ended up having tuna sandwiches and crisps last night so I really should eat the chilli tonight..but I just can't face it in case some of that was infested too

I absolutely hate wasting food, but I have a feeling it may end up in the bin
    Originally posted by basil92
    Sure, pull up a chair, I've just mad a shepherds pie, the gravy was too thick so I added some water, and now my mash is sinking into it. I really do give up. on the other hand, to my knowledge, it doesn't have and added 'protein' other than the mince and I think it's gonna taste ok so there's more than enough to go round.

Took myself Xmas shopping for the afternoon to cheer myself up - which worked, temporarily.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• scottishbrummy
    • By scottishbrummy 16th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    scottishbrummy
    Random veggie left over chicken couscous - was actually quite nice. I sauteed an onion and then added grated courgette, yellow pepper, leftover chicken, fresh chilli and a few dry spices, then once couscous soaked combined it all together. And I even had some leftover for lunch tomorrow
    LBM - 30/3/16 - Someone save me from myself!!
    Overdraft: 1800/1800 - Credit card: 1265/1450 - Loan: 3420/4500
    Grand Total: 6485/7750

Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #557 Target: £400
    November GC - 16.50/95
    • basil92
    • By basil92 16th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 28,156 Thanks
    basil92
    Can I join you and PN...I'm feeling much the same as you.

I had some large slices of seeded wholemeal bread toasted with loads of butter and honey for brunch.

I made a huge chilli yesterday made with some homegrown aubergines and peppers (plus mushrooms) but one of the aubergines had a maggot in it and whilst that obviously got thrown away...I can't bring myself to eat any of it.

I ended up having tuna sandwiches and crisps last night so I really should eat the chilli tonight..but I just can't face it in case some of that was infested too

I absolutely hate wasting food, but I have a feeling it may end up in the bin

OK so I binned it...

Not sure what I'm going to have now...
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 16th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    trolleyrun
    Beef casserole in the slowcooker with carrots, potatoes, celery, cauliflower and peppers (using what I have in). I used a slow cooker liner I bought in Aldi a few weeks ago and wowser! Firstly, the casserole is delicious, secondly, the liner is amazing! No scrubbing or much cleaning at all required afterwards. I know it's not really OS but it saves my sanity and it was around 70p for 5 liners. I'm glad I made enough for tomorrow's lunch.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Oct 16, 10:05 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 44,068 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Beef casserole in the slowcooker with carrots, potatoes, celery, cauliflower and peppers (using what I have in). I used a slow cooker liner I bought in Aldi a few weeks ago and wowser! Firstly, the casserole is delicious, secondly, the liner is amazing! No scrubbing or much cleaning at all required afterwards. I know it's not really OS but it saves my sanity and it was around 70p for 5 liners. I'm glad I made enough for tomorrow's lunch.
    Originally posted by trolleyrun
    Ahhhhhhh, but if the liners free up your time to do something else and saves on the cost of cleaning products a teeny bit then it's still in my book
    JAN NSD 11/16

• trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 16th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    trolleyrun
    Ahhhhhhh, but if the liners free up your time to do something else and saves on the cost of cleaning products a teeny bit then it's still in my book
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    It really is one of the best purchases I've made. I'm glad I bought quite a few packets. I found with my old slow cooker that everything started to taste the same after a while so hopefully the liners will avoid this. I'll save on cleaning products and hot water as well, as you say. Happy days
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 21,381 Thanks
    suki1964
    OK so I binned it...

Not sure what I'm going to have now...

Crisp sarnie and a bottle of red is my go to
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 21,381 Thanks
    suki1964
    It really is one of the best purchases I've made. I'm glad I bought quite a few packets. I found with my old slow cooker that everything started to taste the same after a while so hopefully the liners will avoid this. I'll save on cleaning products and hot water as well, as you say. Happy days
    Originally posted by trolleyrun
    Working in a kitchen liners saved our sanity. Bain Marie on all day was horrendous to clean before we got liners. Just think about how much hot water, nails and time you are saving

I would say in the cause of old style and mse, don't throw them out empty. At least save them to line a tin can to collect meat fat or something
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 16th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    trolleyrun
    Good thinking, Suki! I'll keep that in mind, thank you
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 44,068 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Sure, pull up a chair, I've just mad a shepherds pie, the gravy was too thick so I added some water, and now my mash is sinking into it. I really do give up. on the other hand, to my knowledge, it doesn't have and added 'protein' other than the mince and I think it's gonna taste ok so there's more than enough to go round.

Took myself Xmas shopping for the afternoon to cheer myself up - which worked, temporarily.
    Have decided I shall refer to my sloppy shepherds pie as 'shepherds hash' That way the result sounds a little more intended.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Oct 16, 10:59 PM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 21,381 Thanks
    suki1964
    Have decided I shall refer to my sloppy shepherds pie as 'shepherds hash' That way the result sounds a little more intended.

I'd have slopped a tin of baked beans on it and said nowt
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Oct 16, 11:02 PM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 44,068 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I'd have slopped a tin of baked beans on it and said nowt
    Originally posted by suki1964
    As i was the only one eating it, I knew exactly what it looked like, and it had half a tin of beans in it already three portions to go..two in the freezer, one in the fridge. It will be fine, I just get frustrated when I put effort into cooking and it doesn't quite work out plus I'm a bit blue ATM anyway so keep having to remind myself that worse things happen at sea and to hold it all together.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Oct 16, 11:11 PM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 21,381 Thanks
    suki1964
    As i was the only one eating it, I knew exactly what it looked like, and it had half a tin of beans in it already three portions to go..two in the freezer, one in the fridge. It will be fine, I just get frustrated when I put effort into cooking and it doesn't quite work out plus I'm a bit blue ATM anyway so keep having to remind myself that worse things happen at sea and to hold it all together.

Awww (((((((((big hugs))))))))))

I did so struggle to eat a balanced meal when I cooked for myself so I really do feel your pain

I just stopped bothering for years and lived off crisp sarnies, cheese, eggs, and plain pasta with just butter and pepper

Even now I'd rather have toast then a meal
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 17th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 10,096 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    Love that everyone's menus have an autumnal feel now

Tonight we will having Beef Bourguignon with Mash and Peas
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 45 (only 45 to go )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 37 (only 43 to go )
    Grocery Challenge October £750
    • basil92
    • By basil92 17th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 28,156 Thanks
    basil92
    Awww (((((((((big hugs))))))))))

I did so struggle to eat a balanced meal when I cooked for myself so I really do feel your pain

I just stopped bothering for years and lived off crisp sarnies, cheese, eggs, and plain pasta with just butter and pepper

Even now I'd rather have toast then a meal
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Sounds just like me

However, today, I have bought some Tuna Steaks and I'm going to have them tonight with a mixed leaf rocket and tomato salad drizzled in olive oil and a large chunk of freshly baked baguette with loads of butter on...

Go me....
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 17th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 16,816 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    House of poorlies here means it is leftovers, I will add rice and cabbage, and grated carrott to create a bowl of mince and rice, topped with a little strong cheese.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 17th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 21,381 Thanks
    suki1964
    I've a beef casserole on, lots of red wine, carrots, leeks,swede in it

Boiled spuds for those that do and dumplings for those that don't ( me)
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 17th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 27,586 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all,

It looks like I went a bit 'Wild in the aisles' at Aldi last week with their Super 6 - Veg overload Not that it matters at 45p - I have sliced and frozen 2 packs of leeks and a bag of parsnips, the largest swede in the world is being devoured but by bit, mashed yesterday, the rest chopped for today and tomorrow's meals.

Tonight Meat Free Monday extravaganza is root veg crumble with HM Bread, the crumble is some bread whizzed up with Parmesan, garlic and herbs, the veg is swede, parsnip, sweet potato, carrot, onion and leek, with a cheese sauce - made a white loaf (made some rolls too). Really cheap dinner, and mostly use up's

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 17th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 9,295 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Home made chicken balti (used paste) with rice, naan bread and onion bajis.The menfolk wolfed it down and there is enough for grandbaby's lunch tomorrow-he's nearly 29 months.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 17th Oct 16, 7:29 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    Egg, beans and chips here and they were the best hm chips ever. I used my chipper machine and tossed the chips with light olive oil and cornmeal. I then baked them for just under 50 minutes. Just gorgeous!
    I have some granola baking at the moment and have made ratatouille for later in the week, along with a batch of tomato soup in the pressure cooker
    Proud to be mortgage free
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter