Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2044
    • basil92
    • By basil92 12th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 28,156 Thanks
    basil92
    I didn't make it out to the shops, the rain has been relentless..

I found a tube of pringles in the back of the cupboard so have just eaten the whole tube along with a tin of beans...

I feel sick now
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 27,485 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all,

Suki - looking good - save me some...

Finished paid work for the week, food shopping done, wanted something simple.

I made a sweet and sour sauce, it's brown not red like the commercial jars, stir fried veg and sliced chicken and boiled some brown rice - a bag of Prawn Crackers too

Should have used red pepper for colour, but yellow was what I had...
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

December GC £0/£0.00
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Oct 16, 9:17 PM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 43,981 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Hi all,

Thanks for the kind comment about the grub, the kids (neighbour's) loved them.

Why is it that whenever I come on this thread to post we are having X - I read all the lovely meals and then want Y

Hatful - those baked apples look lush......

Polly - DS has settled in fine thank you - I am getting regular calls asking how to make this n that, and commenting on the blog pics LOL He wants me to make some HM ready meals for him to take back when he visits and your having Kievs too LOL we must stop this food matching - we'll be like Harold and Hilda - bobble hats at the ready!

We're having HM Chicken Kiev's with polenta chips and salad with a HM White Chocolate Panna Cotta with Raspberry coulis - KerrieGT- I've step by stepped the polenta chips just for you Hun x - if they fail again - I swear I'll post you some

Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Thanks islandmaid I'll take a look - been away with work so not on the forum for a few days

Chocolate spread/banana in a wrap ... because I can.

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Yum, I went through a phase of these last winter - lovely nuked for a bit to warm it all up

Been over in the US with work since Sat - apologies for the lack of pics - was too busy eating

Quick rundown:

Sat - dinner was a Cobb Salad
    Sun - pancakes for breakfast, pretzel for lunch and Tex Mex for dinner
    Mon - yoghurt for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and then Italian for dinner - I had the special with shrimp, angel hair pasta, olives, artichoke hearts and a white wine & garlic sauce.
    Tues - bagel for breakfast, wraps for lunch and a lobster roll (yum yum!) for dinner before the red eye back.

Dinner tonight was egg and soldiers.

OH turn to be away with work tomorrow but not planned at all what I'm going to have for dinner yet.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Oct 16, 9:23 PM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 43,981 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Islandmaid I've just checked your blog - your chips look a closer texture than mine did, perhaps I ended up using too much liquid. I still have a portion left in the freezer, I might just melt and mash them to use them up

Had chicken with polenta as 'dinner' on the flight home - conversely to most plane food, the polenta needed more salt. Not sure if it was cutbacks (cheaper than mash) or BA trying to be posh but I must admit its not something I would expect / choose to have on a plane (then again it was better than my meal on the way out as they ran out of the meal option I was going to opt for - so I ended up with a roll / coleslaw - which was their starters, and the choc pud)
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Oct 16, 9:27 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 27,485 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Islandmaid I've just checked your blog - your chips look a closer texture than mine did, perhaps I ended up using too much liquid. I still have a portion left in the freezer, I might just melt and mash them to use them up

Had chicken with polenta as 'dinner' on the flight home - conversely to most plane food, the polenta needed more salt. Not sure if it was cutbacks (cheaper than mash) or BA trying to be posh but I must admit its not something I would expect / choose to have on a plane (then again it was better than my meal on the way out as they ran out of the meal option I was going to opt for - so I ended up with a roll / coleslaw - which was their starters, and the choc pud)
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Kerri - The polenta mix is quite solid, I have tried to be exact with the measurements, which is quite different to my normal 'bung it in method

December GC £0/£0.00
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Oct 16, 11:17 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 15,757 Thanks
    JIL
    Tuna pasta bake. A bit bland if I am honest and I overcooked the pasta.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 10,581 Posts
    • 135,372 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today out I know not where as yet but we'll go somewhere and supper tonight will be fish and chips and peas with lemon and tartare sauce followed by peaches in orange jelly.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

Some people use words to reflect who they want to be, but actions ALWAYS show who they really are!
    • pajama
    • By pajama 13th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,274 Thanks
    pajama
    Setting off to a course for work shortly so just popped on to write my dinner for this evening. Not going to feel like cooking when I get in this evening so Daughter shall have a chicken kiev and I shall have omelette. We shall both have with a jacket spud and salad, easy.
    Grocery Challenge -
    Dec £87.23/£450.00
    Nov £295.37/£360.00

• mobo1980
    • By mobo1980 13th Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 1,647 Thanks
    mobo1980
    I think tonight will be Chicken Kiev,chips(again!) and mushy peas

Mobo xx
    CC1-£362.00
    CC2-£1620
    LOAN-£14,844.33
    TOTAL DEBT £16,826.33
    Then there's the mortgage
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 2,746 Posts
    • 31,828 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight will be Pasta Bolognese Bake
    CURRENTLY READING - THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2016 £140
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2016 - £0/£600
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • gt568
    • By gt568 13th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 1,580 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    gt568
    Mexican chicken, roasted cauli and squtternut buash.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 16, 1:38 PM
    • 55,950 Posts
    • 321,469 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Scrambled eggs on toast..... because I bought eggs the other day and I've not started them yet - and I bought bread yesterday. So I have a lot of eggs and bread to get through.

Scrambled eggs on toast only takes 4 minutes, so that's a bit of a winner. Splash of brown sauce to make it "exotic"
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    There should be a warning on this thread that it's not to be read when you're feeling hungry!

Tonight's fodder in the EH house will be potato & butternut squash bakes (Which I actually remembered to grab out of the freezer to defrost - go me) and some form of veg. The bakes were made from mandolin-sliced root veg, layered up with onion, slivers of bacon and cheese and with a 50/50 mix of cream/milk poured over. It's dead simple and one of the tastiest things I know. It was also exceptionally bargainous as the squash was bought for 24p and the tatties were from a mega bag that cost me about £3 I think.

Don't ask me this question tomorrow though....Fish & Chips!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • C J
    • By C J 13th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 4,021 Thanks
    C J
    Thai red curry and rice tonight, made with two large packs of YS skinless/boneless chicken thighs plus sweet potatoes, aubergine, mushrooms, spinach, peas and courgette. The veg are either home grown or YS so I have made a whopping pan full - easily 10 portions, probably more - for £5 so I'm very happy with that.

I made it before leaving for work this morning and it smelled so good I wanted to stay
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 13th Oct 16, 4:29 PM
    • 1,610 Posts
    • 16,803 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    Tonight will be quality cumberland sausages discovered from the freezer, with an egg, beans and a few chips.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 41,969 Thanks
    Jazee
    I am going to have breaded scampi with a sweet chilli dip.
    Crazy clothes challenge 2016 (Needs not wants, from CS where poss)
    £303.13

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 13th Oct 16, 5:47 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 27,485 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    PN - scrambled egg on toast is my favourite breakfast/brunch/lunch and one of the only things I have with brown sauce

EssexHeb - those bakes sound delicious - bet they taste even better as they were a bargain

I've had a 'doing day' today, so just something quick tonight, Burger with blue cheese, chips and salad. Having the chips youngest left in the freezer, trying to have a bit of a freezer clear in readiness for the Christmas food shopping ...

December GC £0/£0.00
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 43,981 Thanks
    kerri gt
    OH is away with work so I pulled some stir fry veg from the freezer with noodles and located some diced beef - so that all got lobbed in the frying pan with some coconut oil and soy sauce.

Trying to be good as we've got a very expensive month and I need to try and claw back some funds from somewhere in the budget.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• basil92
    • By basil92 13th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 28,156 Thanks
    basil92
    No idea what's for dinner yet but wanted to share my news....

I've been shopping

I might take a leaf out of PN's book and have scrambled eggs with toast....(never ever put the eggs on the toast, makes it go soggy ..likewise with beans..The toast must be on the side)

ETA: Islandmaid..I want what you're having..that looks absolutely delicious :-)
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 9,488 Posts
    • 21,087 Thanks
    suki1964
    Last night we had bubble and squeak with pork and leek sausages, mushrooms and peas

I also made leek and potato soup for lunches ( did anyone notice leaks were on special in lidl this week . )

Tonight was chicken madras ( with leeks) boiled rice and onion bhajees

I've pics somewhere but my head is fried tonight and can't get them to post
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter