Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cutestkids
    • By cutestkids 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    • 1,637Posts
    • 8,146Thanks
    cutestkids
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 4:03 PM
    What are You Making For Dinner Tonight ? 2nd Jan 12 at 4:03 PM
    Hi I know that there is a what have you baked today, what is in your slow cooker today and the weekly meal planner threads already but there does not seem to be a What are cooking for dinner tonight thread.

I just wondered if anyone would like to join me in this perhaps we can get tips and inspiration from each other.

To start us off I am doing Homemade chilli with spicy wedges today

I have made a huge vat of chilli there is enough for the four of us to have 4 meals so will be freezing three lots later on.
    Last edited by cutestkids; 02-01-2012 at 4:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
Page 2029
    • basil92
    • By basil92 22nd Sep 16, 8:49 PM
    • 10,781 Posts
    • 27,819 Thanks
    basil92
    I had six sausage rolls (the 1.5" square size, not really bigguns). That wasn't the plan. I had a plan, but, like usual, when I went into Sainsbobs the shelves were empty of the planned item/s.

So I was strolling along and they had a pack of sausage rolls reduced to 50p. So I thought "they'll do" and I bought them

Heated in the oven for 10 minutes, scoffed in 2 minutes flat.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I bought bread and cheese...only had some of the cheese so far (with *leftover* wine....)
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 22nd Sep 16, 9:35 PM
    • 9,021 Posts
    • 19,539 Thanks
    suki1964
    I had six sausage rolls (the 1.5" square size, not really bigguns). That wasn't the plan. I had a plan, but, like usual, when I went into Sainsbobs the shelves were empty of the planned item/s.

So I was strolling along and they had a pack of sausage rolls reduced to 50p. So I thought "they'll do" and I bought them

Heated in the oven for 10 minutes, scoffed in 2 minutes flat.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    See I love reading what you atw

Many years ago me and fagashli use to post our dinners up being single or home alone

This was my regular

if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 22nd Sep 16, 9:47 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    trolleyrun
    This is embarrassing considering how much food I have in but I had two boxes of microwave chips for dinner. They were bought whilst I didn't have a cooker and they're horrid but I had a real energy slump and couldn't be bothered to cook real food. This is the longest week ever!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 22nd Sep 16, 10:04 PM
    • 9,021 Posts
    • 19,539 Thanks
    suki1964
    This is embarrassing considering how much food I have in but I had two boxes of microwave chips for dinner. They were bought whilst I didn't have a cooker and they're horrid but I had a real energy slump and couldn't be bothered to cook real food. This is the longest week ever!
    Originally posted by trolleyrun

Yet you cooked what you had in instead of getting a take out

It's a WIN
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 22nd Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 30,739 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight was leftover Shepherds Pie from the freezer
    CURRENTLY READING - WEDDING TIERS - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2016 £130
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2016 - £0/£600
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 22nd Sep 16, 10:28 PM
    • 6,829 Posts
    • 43,380 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I cooked a vegan mac n cheese (recipe below) because I was intrigued how it would taste and a couple of family members are vegan now so I figured I should have a few things I can do if they come to dinner. Was ok but found it a little sickly with so much coconut milk being used. OH added some sambal sauce and said it was better with a bit of a kick. The yeast flakes were ok but I think I'd use them in a proper white sauce (not vegan) in future - or leeks might add a bit more depth to the recipe.

https://coconut-merchant.com/vegan-mac-cheese/

i chucked some LO crayfish in mine so first portion was deff not vegan.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 23rd Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 26,511 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    No cooking tonight as its Date Night - that's means dinner will look a lot like Suki's photo

I did bake though, I have been craving Nata, we had them every morning when we went to Portugal, with smooth dark coffee - Lush...

Not quite the same at home as I don't have an oven that cooks at a million degrees - but very nice and hit the spot ....

Last edited by Islandmaid; 23-09-2016 at 1:10 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

September GC £250/£0.00
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 23rd Sep 16, 1:22 PM
    • 55,229 Posts
    • 316,739 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    It'll be a sausage roll for me tonight.

While out yesterday in Sainsbobs (when I bought a pack of 6 sausage rolls and ate the lot), I also picked up a single sausage roll.

£1.79 for ONE sausage roll! Outrageous. I paid 42p for it (still outrageous)... the packet spoke of being deep filled and having caramelised onions in it. It was a brown/sealed deli paper bag, so no chance to see what's inside. Opened the packet this morning to look - it doesn't look "deep filled" and it doesn't look very big at all.

But I'll have it for tea.

I COULD ... cook something else with it ... say mash, or baked beans ... but why go to that extra effort when a sausage roll's going to be enough. It'd better be tasty.

I am staggered that anybody'd ever think that buying one of those at full price is a good idea. It's less than 3" square.
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 23rd Sep 16, 4:01 PM
    • 693 Posts
    • 4,029 Thanks
    t14cy t
    cottage pie tonight. x
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 23rd Sep 16, 4:14 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 36,567 Thanks
    Fruball
    We've got pie, jacket potatoes and roasted veg tonight and whilst the oven is on I will make a frittata for lunches over the weekend.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 23rd Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 8,989 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Fish and mashed potato with mushy peas and tomatoes.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 23rd Sep 16, 7:34 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    trolleyrun
    Yet you cooked what you had in instead of getting a take out

It's a WIN
    Originally posted by suki1964
    If I had any take-away places near me I probably would have done

Am now trying to muster some energy to cook dinner. I've got cabbage, curly kale, mushrooms, carrots and sweet potatoes + streaky bacon. What to do with it is the question
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 23rd Sep 16, 7:51 PM
    • 55,229 Posts
    • 316,739 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Update on my overpriced "posh" sausage roll. Sainsbobs deli. Deep filled pork and sweet onion relish.

£1.79 is the retail price (that's like liquid gold when you do the £/Kg).

I weighed it (you can't do things by half). 130 grams, but mostly pastry despite the description of being "deep filled".

Almost the best sausage roll I've ever had (only better are the ones they sell at St Agnes Bakery, Cornwall). Bl00dy lovely. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

Was it "deep filled", well, yes, I guess it was - but there was also a LOT of pastry with it. At a wild/rough guess I'd say it was 1-1Ĺ sausages' worth of actual meat.

But I'll never, ever, buy one again as it was severely overpriced. I paid 42p for it (YS). Even at that price I'd think twice.
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 23rd Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    We had chilli con carne (from the freezer) with rice. I had half a tub of double cream left in the fridge so I made scones and we had warm scones with jam and cream for pud. Six scones have gone in the freezer for another day.
    Weight lost since 8th July 2016 - 1 stone 1lb
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 23rd Sep 16, 8:36 PM
    • 6,829 Posts
    • 43,380 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Finally made the mince I got out the freezer into burgers - chopped a shallot (in lieu of onions), added some worcester sauce, a pinch of herbs, sprinkle of paprika and a handful of some cranberry (and possibly) stuffing mix (i/e posh breadcrumbs) which are well past their BB date but perfectly fine being stored in a clip top jar. Mix with a beaten egg and chilled while I hot footed it to yoga.

So, burger, new potatoes (YS from AGES ago) and some petit pois and cabbage (since there weren't many peas) with minted butter (which is odd, despite having a mint plant...errr...for Pimms I don't actually like it much, but took a real notion for it tonight). Oh and a good slug of gravy (tesco value granules - perfectly yummy).

The burger I must say was delish - I think the stuffing mix really made a diff and every now and again I would get a nice sweet cranberry. Really getting to the stage of needing to do a good food shop (the one I've been putting off since about april) but its amazing what you use up when you need to be creative. Sorry, no pic - OH is watching the football on the iPad since the sky box got toasted in a storm last week.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• trolleyrun
    • By trolleyrun 23rd Sep 16, 9:42 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    trolleyrun
    I've ended up with cod and potato wedges from the freezer, steamed kale and broccoli/cauli from the bottom of the fridge. Also did my easy stuffed mushrooms: remove stalk, put spicy sauce where stalk used to be and top with cheese. I find a Brie type works well, although blue cheese is best. In oven for 15mins.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 23rd Sep 16, 9:59 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    purpleybat
    I finally had the rick stein vindaloo, think I overdid the chillies!! but it was very tasty, and done in the pressure cooker it saved over an hour and a half of gas
    there's plenty for tomorrow and then leftovers can go in the freezer for another day
    grocery challenge for Sept 2016 £160
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 24th Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    • 9,021 Posts
    • 19,539 Thanks
    suki1964
    Healthy meals and proper cooking out of the window yesterday and today.

Have the grandkids visiting and after a three hour drive yesterday it was red wine ( for moi) and a Chinese take out all round

Today after cheese on toast for breakfast ( the 3 year olds choice) it's going to be a kind of party lunch ( gs was 10 yesterday ) of home made pizza, sausages in rolls, cake and crisps

Me and he will have chicken and salad for dinner

Sunday is the long drive to take them back so will probably eat on the hoof somewhere along the way

Roll on Monday when I have grown up visitors and back to proper food

Yes I spoil them , but I only have them once a month so I like to
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 24th Sep 16, 10:56 AM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 40,563 Thanks
    Jazee
    Just me here I think tonight, so in that case it will be jacket spud with bolognaise sauce from the freezer. But if my visitors later stay on, I'll probably have to make a fakeaway, chicken style from the freezer.
    Crazy clothes challenge 2016 (Needs not wants, from CS where poss)
    £145.18

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 24th Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 55,229 Posts
    • 316,739 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    A 90p frozen pizza from Mr Sainsbobs. Saw them and thought I'd try one to see if they're any good as a freezer item.

Yes, I know that a pizza serves 2-3 people... but, you know what, it's Saturday, so bugg4h it I'm going to eat the whole thing myself.

I chose the Sweet Chilli & Chicken one. It's got red/yellow peppers and red onions and the usual cheese/tomato. And chicken. I figure it'll count for 3 of a 5 a day .... or as close as I'll be getting

http://images4.mysupermarket.co.uk/Products/9/092509.jpg

It's about 650 calories for the whole thing, so that leaves space for some chocolate covered raisins
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

818Posts Today

6,354Users online

Martin's Twitter