Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > What is the cheapest and easiest COLOUR LASER pri... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What is the cheapest and easiest COLOUR LASER printer to run /refill?
Views: 22,263
# 1
itsmeagain
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default What is the cheapest and easiest COLOUR LASER printer to run /refill?

Hi moneysavers. I'm looking for a long term COLOUR LASER printer to do around 500 - 1000 pages a month.

Before i get lumbered with the wrong printer, i wish to know which models are easy and cheap to refill please?

I understand that some are more fiddly than others, some need new chips etc. I'm looking for an easy / cheap / reliable printer to refill please.

Last edited by itsmeagain; 02-01-2012 at 2:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
phxweb
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Ive just brought a Samsung CLP-325 for 120 toner is a little pricey, but there are some good 'Generic' Toner on Ebay which works fine
# 3
kdb550
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default printers

Check out some of the oki models very good quality prints and reasonable toner prices. Would never reccommend using compatible toners not only do they invalidate your warranty but they are not that cost effective. They may be slightly cheaper but can cause serious problems to your printer. Different printers require different additives to the toner which peform various roles generic toners do not have this. go to the oki . co . uk website to read an independant report into refill toners
# 4
phxweb
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb550 View Post
Check out some of the oki models very good quality prints and reasonable toner prices. Would never reccommend using compatible toners not only do they invalidate your warranty but they are not that cost effective. They may be slightly cheaper but can cause serious problems to your printer. Different printers require different additives to the toner which peform various roles generic toners do not have this. go to the oki . co . uk website to read an independant report into refill toners
Using Replacement inks, only invalidates your warranty if damage is caused to the printer by the ink. So basically only the printer head would be affected.

In the Example printer above 2 sets of Genuine Toner would cost 248 instead of 80 replacement toner. A saving of 168 ... So if anything goes wrong and its not covered by warranty .... buy a new printer with the savings.

Interestingly enough, with this model of printer it is basically the same price to replace the ink as buy a new printer !!!
# 5
John Gray
Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxweb View Post
Interestingly enough, with this model of printer it is basically the same price to replace the ink as buy a new printer!
This is not unusual, since the business model of printer manufacturers is to give you an (almost) free printer, and make lots on the ink/toner cartridges.
# 6
Chris55
Old 02-01-2012, 1:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have a look at the reviews here as when they print group reviews of printers they normally have a graph showing cost per number of pages (in the paper magazine) that includes other cost like drum replacement.

Otherwise they quote a rough cost per page as in this review:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/print...-laser-printer
# 7
itsmeagain
Old 02-01-2012, 2:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of a samsung clp-620nd. It's currently 122 with cash back from www.printerbase.co.uk. It looks as though i could possibly buy 2 of them and sell one on ebay (and keep the toners from the 2nd one). Even if i only get 50 for the 2nd one on ebay, it makes an extra set of toners only 72 instead of 265. What do people think please?
link http://www.printerbase.co.uk/acatalo...nd.php?pos=top
# 8
chunter
Old 02-01-2012, 3:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Are the toners full? I know with new inkjet printers you get "introductory" cartridges (which are half filled or thereabouts).
# 9
banger9365
Old 02-01-2012, 4:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter View Post
Are the toners full? I know with new inkjet printers you get "introductory" cartridges (which are half filled or thereabouts).
you get test toners with them
there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

# 10
itsmeagain
Old 02-01-2012, 4:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

On this model you get the standard not the intro toners. Just click 'what's in the box'

Black Toner Cartridge - 2,500 pages
CMY Toner Cartridge - 2,000 pages

These are normally...
CLP-620ND CMYK Toner Cartridge Kit (save 4) PB-CLP620VAL1
221.24 ex vat (265.49 inc vat) which is more expensive than the printer (inc toners)!
# 11
paddyrg
Old 02-01-2012, 4:37 PM

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/11/2...aser_printers/

This may be helpful - recent review/roundup
# 12
david007
Old 15-07-2013, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default he site i use actually reviews them for people who refill their cartridges.

Most people look simply at the cost to purchase the printer. - WARNING - this is how the printer manufacturers thrive. The manufacturers sell the printers cheaply and rip you off on the toner!

Often the cost of the replacement cartridge(s) is higher than buying the actual printer - so look at the price of the printer and the price of the toner before you open your wallet.

There are a lot of sites that review laser and inkjet printers but the site i use actually reviews them for people who refill their cartridges.

just type into google zinetic printer advice.

Last edited by david007; 15-07-2013 at 3:24 PM. Reason: looks better
# 13
Coopdivi
Old 15-07-2013, 8:09 PM

You've made six posts in seven years David, and every one has been about that website.

The address on the website is for a nameplate and the Domain Registration states that 'The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.'

The website is owned by UCS International Ltd. It was founded by two people, one of whom has David as his christian name. I believe you are that person.

https://www.duedil.com/company/07205...ernational-ltd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coopdivi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
debitcardmayhem
Old 15-07-2013, 11:17 PM

Location: Depriving a village of an Idiot, whilst waiting for a call from Heaven or Hell re my future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdivi View Post
You've made six posts in seven years David, and every one has been about that website.

The address on the website is for a nameplate and the Domain Registration states that 'The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.'

The website is owned by UCS International Ltd. It was founded by two people, one of whom has David as his christian name. I believe you are that person.

https://www.duedil.com/company/07205...ernational-ltd
Tonight Mathew I will be Spam Spotter..... nice one
I clicked the button (especially as it is for a 18 month old thread)
Be careful what you wish for -
I thought
Quote:
I could do with a stroke of luck so I can stop working
So I had a stroke and have not worked since. Lucky? , you figure.
Updated 2014 , was thinking about writing my biography, Doctor suggested I get a Ghost Writer in to finish it

The Following User Says Thank You to debitcardmayhem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Hoof Hearted
Old 16-07-2013, 8:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

One (of four) replacement manufacturer's cartridge for my current printer costs more than I originally paid for the machine, As stated above, the printer is the loss leader and the money comes back through the huge cost of the toner cartridges. I would go for a printer where compatible cartridges are cheap and plentiful.
# 16
kwikbreaks
Old 27-05-2014, 3:43 PM

Thanked 3,293 Times in 2,632 Posts

Bejaysus - even with the specific heads up that this is an ancient thread reawakened by a spammer people still offer advice.

I've hit the button. I hope others will too.
My laptop keyboard keeps missing spaces. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikbreaks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
rmg1
Old 27-05-2014, 5:33 PM

If it looks like (and this does), it's probably
Just hit the button as well.
Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmg1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>