Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    itsmeagain
    What is the cheapest and easiest COLOUR LASER printer to run /refill?
    • 2nd Jan 12, 9:29 AM
    What is the cheapest and easiest COLOUR LASER printer to run /refill? 2nd Jan 12 at 9:29 AM
    Hi moneysavers. I'm looking for a long term COLOUR LASER printer to do around 500 - 1000 pages a month.

Before i get lumbered with the wrong printer, i wish to know which models are easy and cheap to refill please?

I understand that some are more fiddly than others, some need new chips etc. I'm looking for an easy / cheap / reliable printer to refill please.
    Last edited by itsmeagain; 02-01-2012 at 1:25 PM.
Page 1
  • phxweb
    • 2nd Jan 12, 10:42 AM
    • 2nd Jan 12, 10:42 AM
    Ive just brought a Samsung CLP-325 for £120 toner is a little pricey, but there are some good 'Generic' Toner on Ebay which works fine
  • kdb550
    • 2nd Jan 12, 11:02 AM
    printers
    • 2nd Jan 12, 11:02 AM
    Check out some of the oki models very good quality prints and reasonable toner prices. Would never reccommend using compatible toners not only do they invalidate your warranty but they are not that cost effective. They may be slightly cheaper but can cause serious problems to your printer. Different printers require different additives to the toner which peform various roles generic toners do not have this. go to the oki . co . uk website to read an independant report into refill toners
  • phxweb
    • 2nd Jan 12, 11:15 AM
    • 2nd Jan 12, 11:15 AM
    Check out some of the oki models very good quality prints and reasonable toner prices. Would never reccommend using compatible toners not only do they invalidate your warranty but they are not that cost effective. They may be slightly cheaper but can cause serious problems to your printer. Different printers require different additives to the toner which peform various roles generic toners do not have this. go to the oki . co . uk website to read an independant report into refill toners
    Originally posted by kdb550
    Using Replacement inks, only invalidates your warranty if damage is caused to the printer by the ink. So basically only the printer head would be affected.

In the Example printer above 2 sets of Genuine Toner would cost £ 248 instead of £80 replacement toner. A saving of £168 ... So if anything goes wrong and its not covered by warranty .... buy a new printer with the savings.

Interestingly enough, with this model of printer it is basically the same price to replace the ink as buy a new printer !!!
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 2nd Jan 12, 11:43 AM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 2,337 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 2nd Jan 12, 11:43 AM
    • 2nd Jan 12, 11:43 AM
    Interestingly enough, with this model of printer it is basically the same price to replace the ink as buy a new printer!
    Originally posted by phxweb
    This is not unusual, since the business model of printer manufacturers is to give you an (almost) free printer, and make £lots on the ink/toner cartridges.
  • Chris55
    • 2nd Jan 12, 12:58 PM
    • 2nd Jan 12, 12:58 PM
    Have a look at the reviews here as when they print group reviews of printers they normally have a graph showing cost per number of pages (in the paper magazine) that includes other cost like drum replacement.

Otherwise they quote a rough cost per page as in this review:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/printers/246977/dell-3130cn-colour-laser-printer
  • itsmeagain
    • 2nd Jan 12, 1:32 PM
    • 2nd Jan 12, 1:32 PM
    Thanks everyone. I was thinking of a samsung clp-620nd. It's currently £122 with cash back from www.printerbase.co.uk. It looks as though i could possibly buy 2 of them and sell one on ebay (and keep the toners from the 2nd one). Even if i only get £50 for the 2nd one on ebay, it makes an extra set of toners only £72 instead of £265. What do people think please?
    link http://www.printerbase.co.uk/acatalog/samsung-clp620nd.php?pos=top
    • chunter
    • By chunter 2nd Jan 12, 2:22 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    chunter
    • 2nd Jan 12, 2:22 PM
    • 2nd Jan 12, 2:22 PM
    Are the toners full? I know with new inkjet printers you get "introductory" cartridges (which are half filled or thereabouts).
    • banger9365
    • By banger9365 2nd Jan 12, 3:08 PM
    • 1,665 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    banger9365
    • 2nd Jan 12, 3:08 PM
    • 2nd Jan 12, 3:08 PM
    Are the toners full? I know with new inkjet printers you get "introductory" cartridges (which are half filled or thereabouts).
    Originally posted by chunter
    you get test toners with them
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• itsmeagain
    On this model you get the standard not the intro toners. Just click 'what's in the box'

Black Toner Cartridge - 2,500 pages
    CMY Toner Cartridge - 2,000 pages

These are normally...
    CLP-620ND CMYK Toner Cartridge Kit (save £4) PB-CLP620VAL1
    £221.24 ex vat (£265.49 inc vat) which is more expensive than the printer (inc toners)!
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 2nd Jan 12, 3:37 PM
    • 12,202 Posts
    • 10,342 Thanks
    paddyrg
    http://www.reghardware.com/2011/11/26/ten_colour_laser_printers/

This may be helpful - recent review/roundup
  • david007
    he site i use actually reviews them for people who refill their cartridges.
    Most people look simply at the cost to purchase the printer. - WARNING - this is how the printer manufacturers thrive. The manufacturers sell the printers cheaply and rip you off on the toner!

Often the cost of the replacement cartridge(s) is higher than buying the actual printer - so look at the price of the printer and the price of the toner before you open your wallet.

There are a lot of sites that review laser and inkjet printers but the site i use actually reviews them for people who refill their cartridges.

just type into google zinetic printer advice.
    Last edited by david007; 15-07-2013 at 2:24 PM. Reason: looks better
    • Coopdivi
    • By Coopdivi 15th Jul 13, 7:09 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 2,846 Thanks
    Coopdivi
    You've made six posts in seven years David, and every one has been about that website.

The address on the website is for a nameplate and the Domain Registration states that 'The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.'

The website is owned by UCS International Ltd. It was founded by two people, one of whom has David as his christian name. I believe you are that person.

https://www.duedil.com/company/07205199/ucs-international-ltd
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 15th Jul 13, 10:17 PM
    • 7,647 Posts
    • 5,807 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    You've made six posts in seven years David, and every one has been about that website.

The address on the website is for a nameplate and the Domain Registration states that 'The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.'

The website is owned by UCS International Ltd. It was founded by two people, one of whom has David as his christian name. I believe you are that person.

https://www.duedil.com/company/07205199/ucs-international-ltd
    Originally posted by Coopdivi
    Tonight Mathew I will be Spam Spotter..... nice one
    I clicked the button (especially as it is for a 18 month old thread)
    The faceless forum team said
    I'm afraid we had to remove your signature. It was felt that it could be upsetting to other users who had a stroke.
    But removing said signature upsets someone who has had one, ergo yours truly, and has still never received an explanation as to who felt it could be upsetting and why...Let alone the terrible grammar
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 16th Jul 13, 7:32 AM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    One (of four) replacement manufacturer's cartridge for my current printer costs more than I originally paid for the machine, As stated above, the printer is the loss leader and the money comes back through the huge cost of the toner cartridges. I would go for a printer where compatible cartridges are cheap and plentiful.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 27th May 14, 2:43 PM
    • 8,132 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Bejaysus - even with the specific heads up that this is an ancient thread reawakened by a spammer people still offer advice.

I've hit the button. I hope others will too.
    • rmg1
    • By rmg1 27th May 14, 4:33 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    rmg1
    If it looks like (and this does), it's probably
    Just hit the button as well.
    Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse?

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,960Posts Today

7,121Users online

Martin's Twitter