Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    georgeashcroft
    Shiply scam
    • 30th Dec 11, 5:27 PM
    Shiply scam 30th Dec 11 at 5:27 PM
    Shiply SCAM
    This is a warning to anyone considering using the Shiply website in order to transport goods. I paid a deposit to ship some items after receiving a bid on the Shiply site. After paying the deposit and Shiply fee, the provider requested payment in full in advance by bank transfer. My bank confirmed that the payment was made but the provider claims not to have received the money and further requested copies of my bank details. Shiply have disclaimed any liability even though they state that I have been the victim of a probable scam and that scammers are actively using their site. You may say more fool me for paying the money out in the first place, and I may agree. However, what concerns me is the attitude of Shiply. Here is my correspondence with them via their messenger service - quite incredible:

Now online: Leave a question or comment and our agents will try to attend to you shortly =)Friday, December 30, 2011
    You <click to change>
    helloKatie has joinedYou are currently being served by
    Katie
    Katie [agent]
    Hello
    How can I help?
    You <click to change>
    I have sent a payment by bank transfer to a privider, they say they have not recived payment
    but my bank say they have
    what do you suggest?
    Katie [agent]
    Did you pay this through either PayPal or Google Checkout?
    You <click to change>
    no, it was directly into their spanish account from mine.
    Katie [agent]
    For your information we operate Shiply.com as an online transport marketplace matching people moving goods with transport companies making similar journeys.
    We are not a delivery company ourselves and do not physically carry out the work.
    We only accept PayPal and Google Checkout payments as deposit payments for the delivery service provided through the site and not the actual items being sent.
    All of our email addresses end with @shiply.com so if you have received any emails claiming to be us but from other email addresses then they must have been fake.
    There has been a number of cases reported to us about scammers using our company name to scam people so we suggest you contact your local police to report about your situation if you think you have been scammed.
    You <click to change>
    yes, the payment for the deposit was paid via paypal but the balance was paid by bank transfer
    Katie [agent]
    Do you the contact providers contact details
    You <click to change>
    yes, I have their original email address which they contacted me on after I accepted their bid, they have been e-mailing back saying they have not recieved payment
    Katie [agent]
    Could you please tell me your username and email address so that I can have a look for you.
    You <click to change>
    my email is georgeashcroft@yahoo.co.uk
    Katie [agent]
    Bear with me a moment while I have a look.
    You <click to change>
    thank you
    Katie [agent]
    sales@robertstransport.tk 950336637
    You <click to change>
    I am going to call them. Thanks. What other recourse do I have if they have simply taken my money?
    Katie [agent]
    Those are the contact details we have for the transport provider.
    We will contact them. But I think this may be a scam.
    You <click to change>
    I think so. It is a shame as we did need the service.
    The problem is that the scam was commisioned via your website. There are no warnings to indicate that scammers are using the site
    Katie [agent]
    We act purely as a neutral venue through which users and transport providers can meet and enter into their own agreements. We are not involved in any of the actual transactions which take place and so are unable to get involved in any disputes or issues which may arise as a result of the contracts you choose to enter into with.
    You <click to change>
    But you will soon go out of business with that approach. Do contact them and let me know what they say before I report the matter to the UK and Spanish authorities, in addition to the national press.
    Katie [agent]
    I have sent a contact request to the transport provider. Please let us know at support@shiply.com if he does not contact you within 24 hours
Page 2
  • Keyboard warrior
    Misleading statement
    On Shiplys website it states "every transport provider on Shiply is sent an activation letter in the post, so their physical location has been verified before they can quote." This is a misleading statement as it leads you to believe Shiply will help you with any problem you have with a con artist or fraudster using the their site. This statement alone made me feel safe to use Shiply - I was wrong and Shiply will not even supply you with the information!
    • Susan 2001
    • By Susan 2001 9th Feb 15, 6:57 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Susan 2001
    On Shiplys website it states "every transport provider on Shiply is sent an activation letter in the post, so their physical location has been verified before they can quote." This is a misleading statement as it leads you to believe Shiply will help you with any problem you have with a con artist or fraudster using the their site. This statement alone made me feel safe to use Shiply - I was wrong and Shiply will not even supply you with the information!
    Originally posted by Keyboard warrior
    That statement also made us feel safe to trust the site. As we paid via paypal we thought we would at least be covered by paypal in the event of trouble, sadly we were wrong and lost out.
    • Susan 2001
    • By Susan 2001 30th Nov 16, 1:50 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Susan 2001
    Really, how about refunding me then? Past is past but customers who were wronged like me can remain out of pocket. I lost money and couldn't claim it back!!
    • Susan 2001
    • By Susan 2001 30th Nov 16, 2:27 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Susan 2001
    Hi Susan, please get in touch with our support team who will be happy to help: 020 3137 2454 or support@shiply.com
    Originally posted by shiply
    I've previously done that several times without any result.
    • matthieu
    • By matthieu 20th Mar 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matthieu
    suspended service provider
    Hi, I have read most of your comments and I believe you need to know how SHIPLY is working. They are claiming that they are here as a NEUTRAL part and only here to connect customers and us, service providers, together.
    I have been with them for over 4 years now, transported over 400 cars on their behalf so I know how they are working. They are stopping us to tell the customers that the site is charging them a commission however, they are taking one a quite a large one!
    I have been suspended by the site because a customer to whom I placed a quote to move his car from the UK to France couldn't understand why when I told him in a message that my quote was £750, the actual quote he was seeing was £1002. I explained to him that the difference was the site commission and that I will not get a penny out of it. That resulted in me being suspended.
    Therefore they are not neutral like they claim, they are getting paid and in that case, £252 only to give my contact details to that customer once you have clicked on "accept quote"
    They do not want us to use the word commission simply they do not want to get involve is any issues occurs. They are claiming they are charging the customer on our behalf then immediately charging us. This is a Scam as they do not have the power to invoice any one on our behalf. May I add that I do not receive a copy of the invoice they have sent to the customers or an invoice from them to me.
    Be aware that if you manage to get a refund on the deposit you have paid to them, they will only credit your shiply account for the amount of the deposit and to be used within 6months...after that you loose it. NEVER the money will be recredited to your bank account. Same if you pay the deposit using paypal as you will be paying for a service and not goods. Paypal will NOT refund you either
    They do not respond to the phone either, they are only hiding behind emails. The company is registered in London but I believe they are operating from the Manchester area.
    Also, to prove that they do not check the service providers as they claim, within 10mn of being suspended, I reopened an account. All they ask is a Passport number and a driving license number.
    The way they are operating is disgusting and unless you get a decent service provider, you will have lost your deposit.
    I had about 12 bookings with them when they suspended me. They are also ignoring my request of sending me those people details for me to carry out the jobs, Those 12 people have now lost their deposit as I cant get in touch with them...
    I hope these clarify your understandiung of the way shiply are working. Make sure before you click on the accept quote button you know what you are doing because they do not have a customer service and really don't care about You or US the service providers. All they are interested in is their COMMISSION!!!
    • matthieu
    • By matthieu 20th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matthieu
    letter
    Another lie from that company.... I HAVE NEVER received a letter from them in the last 4yrs I have been with them!!
    • matthieu
    • By matthieu 20th Mar 17, 10:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matthieu
    Some service providers scams
    I can also confirm and have all my emails making them aware of scamming service providers. I will not name them on here but Shiply has never reacted to my request. All I did get was a reply by email telling me that they were looking into it. They are so slow that those people have managed to scam an average of 25 -30 customers before the site actually suspended them but it took them weeks to react. If any customers on here have been scammed in any way by shiply, I would be happy to assist you or join forces to stop that company operating the way they are. Done it before with a scammed customer. He got his money back and the service provider jailed for 18mths
    They are getting paid for a service, therefore you should get a service..simple!
    • matthieu
    • By matthieu 20th Mar 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matthieu
    Not enterely a scam
    I wouldn't call it a scam. The idea is good, the problem is how it works!
    They are pretending to offer a free service which isn't free! they are charging up to 30% commission. They do not want you to know that as they do not want any comeback if something goes wrong with a service provider. I am sorry but if they do charge to give our phone details to customers they should take the responsibility as they are receiving money for it.
    • quackerz
    • By quackerz 9th May 17, 5:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quackerz
    Oh dear I was just about to use Shiply but I don't think I will now.
    Any recommebations for alternatives ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

2,055Users online

Martin's Twitter