Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please rea... (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
Views: 450,084
# 41
seasideshack
Old 30-12-2011, 6:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddle View Post
Menu's and shopping lists? That makes me worry. I have already done mine for the month. I don't want to be getting into the '1 meal for me something different for the rest of the family' so I was wondering if I could eat the same as them but use a tea plate size portion. Would that work?
I lost 4 stone a few years ago (unfortunately 1/2 of it sneaked back on) and I ate the same evening meal as the rest of the family. I just changed the portion sizes. Less of the meat/potatoes and much more of the veg etc. If we had something like spaghetti bolognaise, I'd have half the normal portion and fill up my plate with salad. I cook our meals from scratch so I know what is going in them.

I am planning on doing the same again and also making a few of my own 'ready meals' to have when the family are having something that I don't want to eat.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to seasideshack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
Rose Wood
Old 30-12-2011, 6:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi All,

I am in for the challenge again but will set my target on Sunday as I have an official weigh-in there to see how my bet with DH has fared! Not as well as I had hoped as I haven't got down to my lightest weight as I'd hoped.

B: Milky coffee
L: HM Tomato soup with a slice of HM granary bread. Tangerine
T: Poached egg on toast. Greek yoghurt with HM lemon curd stirred into it (2 helpings!)

Treats: 1 coffee cream chocolate, 2 Quality Street chocolates at work, 1 Terry's Chocolate Orange chocolate.

Exercise: 5 mile walk this morning plus about 0.75 mile walk to work. I had a lift home as it was pouring with rain and dark by then.

Rose
[
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Rose Wood For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
mumto2monkeys
Old 30-12-2011, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello! Please can I join? The most successful 'diet' I did in recent years was food budgeting/tight portion control. 2012 and I need to get a grip! I have blummin loads to lose - about 4st. Please can I set myself the target of 14lbs for this challenge? Thanks :-)
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mumto2monkeys For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
Molly41
Old 30-12-2011, 9:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragz View Post
]Weight Loss Old Style New Year Challenge

I will repost this next Friday, the official first day of the challenge. If you want to start now and declare a loss next week, that's fine. If you want to get the festivities fully over with and declare your target on the first WI, that's fine too. Anyone is free to join at any time during the challenge, I will just add names and targets to the list as they are posted. If you change your target let me know.

Each friday I will re-post The List, with updates on everyone's progress. Please declare your loss so I can easily see it if we get busy (something like this 1lb loss for me!), if you miss the Friday I'm happy to add to the list at any time.
Losses will be noted on The List and a little badge awarded for each pound.

A word on targets - The challenge runs for 13 weeks from Jan 6th or 14 weeks if you start today. A healthy weight loss of 1/2 to 2lb a week is advised. Be aware when setting your target that despite your best efforts, you will not lose every week. For those of us with devilish hormones, the best you can hope for is 3 out of 4, some weeks you will have a hard time sticking to your plans, some weeks you will be ill, some weeks you will do really well and still STS or even gain for no apparent reason. It happenes. Accept it now. It is best to have a realistic target that you can feel good about meeting/getting close to than to set a high one that will defeat you...

Molly41 - 14lbs
Fuddle - 7lbs
The Dragon - 10lbs
Ragz - 7lbs
Annie021063 - 14lbs
Sparrer - 10lbs
Seasideshack - 20lbs
Dragoncry - 14lbs
Lovetopaint -
JBD - 17lbs
Slowlyfading -
Mazzzy - 10lbs
DragonLily - 14lbs
Littlemoog - 20lbs
Karamac - 14lbs
VickyA - 14lbs
Vixtress - 14lbs
Jumps - 21lbs
Fijit77 - 21lbs
IntheGreen - 14lbs
Cpt574 - 20lbs
Heartboy - 14lbs

As for the rest of the thread, for those of you new to it, feel free to post your food diary for the day if you feel it will help. Some people do this, some don't, but I do find it helps to keep on track if you aren't tracking in other ways. If you have a nice recipe please post it (if it's your own) or link to it, as we all seem to get stuck in a food rut sometimes...
Any tips, hints, links, general support etc is very welcome. I will try to introduce Old Style related weight loss topics occasionally if the thread seems to be lacking in interesting content
Many thanks Ragz for keeping the scores on the doors xx
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Molly41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
vickiem30
Old 30-12-2011, 10:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Can I join?

I want to lose 21lb by Easter and my new year's resolutions are:

To lose 21lb by Easter
To go to the gym 3 times a week
To play squash once a week
To stop eating white carbs, bread, rice, pasta, sugar!
To keep to a food budget and cook (nearly) everything from scratch
To eat 6-10 portions of fruit and veg a day
To improve my Spanish (from dreadful to mediocre).

That should keep me busy for a while!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to vickiem30 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
Kimsmum
Old 30-12-2011, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would love to join please.
The weight is slowly creeping on since I left work a few years ago.
I will start this sunday 1st Jan
I want to lose 14lbs by Easter.

Last edited by Kimsmum; 31-12-2011 at 9:35 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kimsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
gardenia101
Old 31-12-2011, 12:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddle View Post
No need to be sorry hun. It was what I needed to hear. I did just accept my size because I am lazy. I did just give up on myself because I am lazy. I accepted because I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. When you have confidence issues it's all too easy to put on a 'I'm happy' front. I am determined to be happier in my head this year, be in control. The weight issue is the last bit of me that I should sort because if I don't it will bring me down.

It was a shock to read what you wrote for about 5 seconds but I found myself nodding, looked for your posts and followed you to this thread. I needed that kick Thank you misses
I've come to this thread via your comments on t'other thread & you have summed up exactly how I feel much better than I could!

Ragz - could you add me please with a target of 14lb please? Thank you.

Like Heartboy, I think my fondness for a glass or 3 of red has added to my weight gain. Coupled with not working for over a year & spending far too long on t'internet, snacking as I go. I'm now 13 st & 5' 4" that is way too much . My extra weight is mostly around my stomach which is really bad news, health wise.

I'm also limited to wearing the few clothes I can fit into comfortably (fleece is soooo forgiving ) yet I have a large wardrobe full of lovely clothes that I haven't worn for yonks! I'm not yet ready to bag them up for charity as I've never tried to diet before, so I'm hoping this challenge works & I can get to wear my favourites again.

I know my own weaknesses very well, so I'm not going to give up wine, just going to allow myself a bottle of decent red over 3 nights followed by 1-2 days off. And repeat. I'm also not giving up chocolate - I had 2 lovely boxes for Xmas so will allow myself 1 chocolate if I feel the need (& it is a need!). Somehow I can make a box last for weeks, but have to eat a whole bar in one go. Can anyone explain this?

I am going to be far more strict on my portion sizes & stop snacking! I also need to try & find something to do in the evenings while watching tv or listening to the wireless - I used to do a lot of cross stitch & if my hands are busy then I can't use them to eat with .

Ragz & Fuddle - your posts have been a wake up call for me - thank you.
And I find that looking back at you gives a better view, a better view...
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to gardenia101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
up 2 my eyes in it
Old 31-12-2011, 1:11 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Please may i join,
im always lurking.
but would really be encouraged if i thought i wasn't doing it alone,
i would love to lose 14lb
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to up 2 my eyes in it For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
Kimsmum
Old 31-12-2011, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia101 View Post
I've come to this thread via your comments on t'other thread & you have summed up exactly how I feel much better than I could!

I'm also limited to wearing the few clothes I can fit into comfortably (fleece is soooo forgiving ) yet I have a large wardrobe full of lovely clothes that I haven't worn for yonks! I'm not yet ready to bag them up for charity as I've never tried to diet before, so I'm hoping this challenge works & I can get to wear my favourites again

Ragz & Fuddle - your posts have been a wake up call for me - thank you.
Gardenia, This is also what brought me here, the post by Ragz & Fuddle
Like you I have lovely clothes I cannot get into.

Last edited by Kimsmum; 31-12-2011 at 9:35 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kimsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
slowlyfading
Old 31-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ragz - can I be put down for 16lbs please?

I'm getting married at Easter and need to get moving on this weight...
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
2014 Frugal Challenge Member // Sept NSD - 1/20 // SPC #004
Engaged 14/08/10 // Married 31/03/12
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to slowlyfading For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
paidinchickens
Old 31-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would like to join but dare not stand on the scales just yet to see how much I need to lose
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to paidinchickens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
sparrer
Old 31-12-2011, 1:56 PM

Hi all and a big welcome to all the newbies

B - wm toast spread with yogurt and a scrape of marmalade
L - mixed veg (red & yellow peppers, 1/4 sliced onion, mushrooms, aubergine, grated carrot) omelette
Supper - out to friends, not sure but think it's chilli and curry so will have some fruit before I go so I'm not tempted to eat too much!
Snacks - satsuma, melon, banana
Exercise - 1/2 hour pulm, 10 mins step, only managed 3 mins weights but will build up to 10 mins

Have a good rest of the day, and a Very Happy New Year to everyone
I'm just a little Cockney sparrer
'Save 12k in 2014' #070. Goal 3k
Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most ~ Buddha
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sparrer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
Rose Wood
Old 31-12-2011, 3:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Afternoon All

I've had a busy day with trips back and forth and have work later. I've also cooked lunch as I shall be working later and prepared a stew for tomorrow's meal.

B: Greek yoghurt with raspberries.
L: Sparerib pork chop with peas and spinach (creamed with garlic and onions). More Greek yoghurt - this time with a spoonful of HM lemon curd stirred in.
T: Egg mayonnaise salad (packed and ready to take to work).

Lots of sugar free squash throughout the day.

No chocolates or extras today as I want to be as light as possible for tomorrow's weigh in - when I have pledged to pay DH 10 for every lb over my lightest weight this year that I am. He was going to pay me 10 for any pounds under I had managed but that isn't going to happen. I am still happy though as I am 3 and a half stone lighter than I was at this time last year and only have around half a stone to go to reach target.

Exercise: I have had 3 separate trips into the village today so far - to chemist for DH, to supermarket for bread and then up to work to drop off a sandwich for DS. After I walk to work later it will have added up to 3.6 miles which isn't bad as I was counting today as a rest day from exercise ready for a run tomorrow.

Welcome to all the new hopefuls as well as saying hi to all the old faces.

Rose
[
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rose Wood For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
PJ1
Old 31-12-2011, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Wartime recipes

Hi All,
I am currently losing fat & lbs by using wartime type recipes, I have a few books of them. What I'd like to know is, is Victory Cookbook the same as Feeding The Nation? I have Victory & if they are different I shall purchase Feeding the Nation next week. I only ask as they are both written by M. Patten. Thanks.
PJ
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PJ1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
Penelope Penguin
Old 31-12-2011, 4:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragz View Post
Useful Links For Old Style Weight Loss

MSE links
OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links

Free food/calorie tracking
My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
MyNetDiary
Caloriecount
The rest on google

Free printable food diary
Printable portion guide

NHS healthy eating website
BMI calculator

If you find a useful link please post it and I'll add it to this list.

I've put these links into post 2 so that they're readily available to everyone please drop me a PM if you'd like them altering at all.
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
blondy24
Old 31-12-2011, 4:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ragz - Please can I join I will start on the 6th Jan (my birthday )

Still not doing too well today as having an indian takeaway tonight so over 1,700 calories. Have signed up for my fitness pal thanks Penelope will be using this as of today...

I will aim for 10lbs.

Thanks x

Last edited by blondy24; 31-12-2011 at 5:14 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to blondy24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
vintagebrighton
Old 31-12-2011, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi everyone.......... can I join too?

Not sure what I weigh but I know it's too much and creeping up. I'd like to say it's the menopause but I wouldn't be kidding anyone least of all myself! I eat too much....... there, I've said it. I like all food and love red wine. You can count on one hand the foods I don't like (if you count all spicy food as 1)

I'm 50 next month and it's made me think very hard about how unhealthy I could be if I don't shift my weight. I'm asthmatic but apart from that I have very good physical health but why tempt fate?

Soooo, the only way is healthy eating but LESS OF IT! And more exercise while I'm at it. I'll aim for 20lbs and I promise to get a new battery for my digital scales before the 6th.

Onward and downwards........
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to vintagebrighton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
VickyA
Old 31-12-2011, 5:46 PM

The Rosemary Conley tv website might be helpful to someone? There are clips for recipes, exercise and general motivation.

Oh, and I've just checked my BMI using the NHS BMI checker thing and I'm officially overweight, on the way to obese... Not a good feeling at this point, but it's just the incentive that I need and the kick up the bottom that is required.
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - saver #153 65 banked
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Nov 2013 - OUT 65 IN 25
365 in 365 days challenge 2014 #2 - 273/365 2 Savers #21 - 100 banked
Virtual Savings #151 - 136.68
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to VickyA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
Cordy
Old 31-12-2011, 5:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, could I sign up to lose 7lbs please? I want to concentrate on getting fit (couch to 5k) and am hoping the weight will come off slowly without major changes to my eating habits, which aren't too bad anyway. I've downloaded the free app "cardio trainer", and in two days have apparently burned off 330 extra calories. When I get to 3500 calories, that should be a 1lb weight loss. Oh well, I'll just try it and see
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cordy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
Rosetta92
Old 31-12-2011, 5:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello Everyone

I'd like to join too. I think I'm about 14 stone - will brave the scales later to check. Got some health issues just now that are slowing me down. Meant to be resting, but only tend to lose weight through exercise. Hopefully joining in here will help me to focus - and less weight might improve the health too.

Main downfall is cheese. I'll cut down, but probably giving it up completely would lead to misery.

Aim for challenge = 10 lbs to get me started in the right direction.

Meanwhile Happy New Year everyone
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rosetta92 For This Useful Post: Show me >>