Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please rea... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.
Views: 439,320
# 21
vixtress
Old 30-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hi everyone, hope you all had a good xmas.
i haven't posted for ages but do still read most days. there were some fab loses in your last challenge
i weighed myself this morning for the first time in ages and at 11.12 i have a stone to lose. (i am 5.10 and am happy at 11st or thereablouts)
so please put me down for 14lb and i promise to stick with it this time
- prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to vixtress For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
LittleMoog
Old 30-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Morning all
Just thought I'd say hello for the new thread

I'm still sticking to maintenance calories til the new year, but I'm reading along to help me stay out of the chocolates! I'll sign up for the challenge today though:
starting weight :15st1, BMI 32
target: 20lb (13st9, BMI 29).
That's about 1.5lb/week, my calorie target is for about 2lb/week so I'm hoping it's achievable.

off to the gym tonight, looking forward to a bit of exercise I'm not back to work til the 5th, so I'm going to try and do some everyday til then, and then fit back into my normal routine. I'm also going to start running again, with a target of beating my 2010 time in the 5 mile race in June at my work. Hope this will be achievable, as last time I did run the whole thing, but I was very slow (70 minutes) and I'd like to be less than an hour this year. (I was last but one, and only ahead of an 84 year old lady who runs marathons!)

no food log from me today, we have nothing in so I need to go to the supermarket, and we're having a NYE party tomorrow so will be prepping stuff for that.
Little girl born November 2012

Still working to be DF
Building a happy and healthy life for our little family
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LittleMoog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
VickyA
Old 30-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Hello! Please could I join in? I'd initially like to set a target of losing 14lbs (eeek, that's a large amount!) before Easter. I'll weigh myself before next Friday but I know that I'm creeping up towards 13st.

It's my intention today to do a meal plan and look back at alot of recipes for inspiration! We seem to get stuck in a rut with meals as they're quick and easy but with little variety... I do subscribe to the Rosemary Conley magazine, but am always unsure about what I can freeze and what I can't - hence why our freezer is normally full of spag bol or chilli con carne portions!

I look forward to joining everyone for the challenge.
Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - saver #153 65 banked
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Nov 2013 - OUT 65 IN 25
365 in 365 days challenge 2014 #2 - 212/365 2 Savers #21 - 100 banked
Virtual Savings #151 - 118.34
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to VickyA For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Karamac
Old 30-12-2011, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Count me in!

I've been lurking (mainly on OS threads) for a couple of weeks now, but would love to be involved in an OS style weight loss challenge. I've got quite a lot to lose, but have completely gone off the idea of living on low-fat, low-taste rubbish - I'd rather be overweight than that!

Would like to lose 14lb also - I think that's realistic if I want to eat real food.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Karamac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
sparrer
Old 30-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Morning all, just sneaked a weigh and I'm still 10st 2lb, so nothing lost or, more importantly, gained over the Christmas period.

Ragz I know the challenge doesn't start til next week but I'm going to aim for 9st 7lb, and allowing for possibly putting 1lb on over the next week (out for meals 3 times!) I'm aiming for a 10lb loss.

I'm also aiming to up my exercise, not just count housework, depending on the breathing from day to day. Anyone who thinks exercise is hard can be encouraged the fact that I have a lung disease and manage to make myself do a little every day. A big bonus it that I've noticed it's improved my breathing and I've only had one infection since last Sept when the previous challenge started, and that's now when I've been a bit lax with exercise. So I'll help/encourage you if you'll help/encourage me

I've said it before and at risk of being boring I'll say it again -A big thanks to ragz, you're so appreciated for what you do
I'm just a little Cockney sparrer
'Save 12k in 2014' #070. Goal 3k
Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most ~ Buddha
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sparrer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
ragz
Old 30-12-2011, 11:21 AM

Vixtress - welcome back. We're about the same height and weight, I too am hoping to be happy at about 11 stone. I was once (briefly) 10 stone but looked awful! I am not entirely sure of my current weight as it's THAT time of the month and I am up and down a pound or two every day, but I feel I have put on a few over Christmas and must be around 11.12 too.

I have amended my target of 10lbs to a more realistic 7lbs, as I have to take thyroid meds and my hormones play havoc with my weight. I was losing pretty steadily earlier in the year but now I'm down to the last stone it;s getting a lot harder to shift.

New Year Weight Loss Resolutions anyone?

I will ONLY weigh myself on WI day (I'll take this one week at a time, I am very attached to my digital scales!)
I will change the scales from measuring in .2 of a pound to just stones and pounds.
I will buy more fruit. This way the kids and I will eat more fruit.
I will buy more veg... and actually think about the 5-a-day and aim for it as well as I can (Soup, soup and more soup!)
I will keep up my twice weekly swimming and set myself a target (a friend suggested we enter a swimathon!)
I will aim for a minimum of 2 sessions on the Wii (myfitnesscoach is good) or a DVD each week.
I will only drink alcohol 1 night a week (if at all, I'm not a big drinker).
If I bake something I will share/freeze as much as I can so I don't eat it!
I will go back to tracking my food, as I got really slack on that. Don't have to know exact calories but I find if I have to write it down I am less likely eat a lot...

Anyone else? I love the Resolution part of New Year, it ties in well with the Winter Solstice traditions of bringing in new things with the return of the light...
Ragz is busy studying
Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ragz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
Jumps
Old 30-12-2011, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, I would love to join in too. I weighed myself this morning and I am at my heaviest ever I really need to get myself into gear and stop eating too much and to cut down on wine!!
My target is 22lbs by Easter which I think should be about 1.5lbs per week.
Debt Oct 2006 42,215.21 at highest. Debt Today 12,681.98(69.96% paid off )
DFD - May 2020 Aug MayApril 2017 Nov 2016 Aug 2015. DFW Long Hauler no.26.DFW Nerd 352 Proud to be dealing with my debts
0/70lbs
Sealed Pot Challenge no.185
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jumps For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
JBD
Old 30-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Great resolutions Ragz.
Mine are -
reduce treats to 1 [small] one a day. I have been eating too many cakes , biscuits etc. lately and they do all add up.
No cleaning the bowl out or 'testing' when I make cakes for the kids!
Cut down cups of coffee [5 a day max]. Drink water or squash the rest of the time.
reduce salt in diet. This is on health grounds, as my BP is borderline high. I don't want to have to go onto medication.
Exercise - to increase my fitness. I will -
carry on and improve my swimming
eventually [once I have reached my target] start lifting heavier weights.
Learn how to do full pushups. At the moment I can only do knee ones. I am improving though!

Last edited by JBD; 30-12-2011 at 11:55 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JBD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
fijit77
Old 30-12-2011, 12:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi
I'd very much like to join in, I'm unhealthily over weight and have been told that my BP is too high so time to do something about it, but not with silly diets and processed food! I'd like to set a target of 21lb by easter, and have committed myself to a running event in August to help motivate me on the fitness front.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fijit77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
fuddle
Old 30-12-2011, 12:34 PM

My resolutions:

Make sure I walk the dog during the day, every day, and not rely on DH.
No alcohol (for different reasons I am going t-total although hardly drink anyway).
Weigh myself on weigh in day only.
NO biscuits dunked in my tea at tea break (often, as I'm a housewife and mum)
Sometimes on the way to the dream, you get lost and find a better one.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to fuddle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
mazzzy
Old 30-12-2011, 12:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ragz, would you please put me down to lose 10lb over the 13 weeks
I need to lose lots more but hopefully this is a more realistic goal for me!

New Years resolutions:

Don't buy chocolate and sweets to keep in the house for the grandchildren, I know I will have eaten them by the time they visit!
Cut out the snacks in the afternoon
Walk every day for at least 30 mins.
Stop weighing myself every day, its too depressing.
Prepare fruit and unflavoured homemade popcorn to eat instead of snacking on high cal stuff.
Use up all the veg I buy every week instead of throwing away (I know, its such a waste)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mazzzy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
inthegreen
Old 30-12-2011, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

could you add me to the list please I would like to lose 14lbs. It is the first time everr I have been in the 12's at 12 stone 1, I am 5ft 10 so would be happy between 10 7 and 11stone (I tend to fluctuate anyway) To money save I have given up the gym but I will run when I can at lunchtimes and do exercise dvd's.

Good luck everyone
zopa 5783.26, virgin 4297.40, mum 8915, od 1450 total 20445.74 paid 5165.06/20.06%
Sealed Pot challenge 5 #1437 - aim 250
Pad challenge total since 23/11/11 - 81.39
Pay as much as you can 2012 # 2809/7500
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to inthegreen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
cpt574
Old 30-12-2011, 1:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, please may I join, feeling very scared at the prospect of even trying to lose weight as i have tried (albeit somewhat halfheartedly) and failed to lose more than a couple of pounds sooooo many times before. But at 11.4 and only 5"2 i think enough is enough. However my aim this next year was to cook from scratch as much as poss. and esp enourage the kids to eat more veg, try new meals etc. I feel eating low carb would prob be best for me, but feel really conflicted and worried. Hope to lose 20 pounds ideally, any advice and support would be really appreciated. thanks
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to cpt574 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
Heartboy
Old 30-12-2011, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

I've just registered so I can join you please. Just got on the scales 11st 11lbs - nightmare. I was only 10 st last year which is my ultimate goal again (so almost 2 stone to loose) but for the initial challenge could you put me down for 14lbs. Thanks.

My main resolution is to drink less red wine which I do every day at the moment. It seems to be a catalyst to my eating - makes me start exploring the cupboard for something tasty to eat!

Jo

Last edited by Heartboy; 30-12-2011 at 2:00 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heartboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Molly41
Old 30-12-2011, 3:01 PM

It is lovely to see so many new posters and of course us regulars

A major part of Old Style is all about cooking from scratch and is much easier as regards family meals. There shouldn't be too much conflict and there is a low carb thread on Health and Beauty which is a subdivision of Family and Moneysaving.

Very slow progress is positively encouraged and embraced on this thread as slowly but surely the weight stays off. Small changes all add up and when these become the norm then another change can be introduced which will all contribute to a greater sense of wellbeing and a more healthy weight and lifestyle x
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Molly41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
sparrer
Old 30-12-2011, 4:01 PM

oops, forgot my menu earlier

B - F&F, ss milk
Lunch - dry-fried onion, mushrooms, the lean bit of the bacon, rf sausage, egg
T - will be crispbread with vegemite
Snacks - fruit
Exercise - 1/2 hour pulm, 10 mins step, 10 mins weights. Phew, jiggered!

New Year resolutions
1. Go through the larder and get rid of (to night shelter etc) what I don't use
2. Cheese is my downfall so will only buy rf cheese, and only eat cheese twice a week
3. Eat my main meal at lunchtime, not in the evening
4. Try to do 1/2 hour pulm, 10 mins step, 10 mins weights every day
5. When I make a loaf, freeze two separate thirds of it instead of eating it all 'or it will get stale'
6. Likewise when cooking I'll freeze in smaller portions

I was going to sneak in no alcohol or chocs/biscuits/cake but I'm teetotal and don't really like sweet stuff so that would be cheating
I'm just a little Cockney sparrer
'Save 12k in 2014' #070. Goal 3k
Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most ~ Buddha
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sparrer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
fuddle
Old 30-12-2011, 4:18 PM

OS all the way here. I'm very OS anyway and I think that will help when it comes to choosing better ingredients for weight loss purposes i.e. steady on the cream, skimmed milk, watch out for cheese consumption, maybe rid of white breads, pasta and rice. When the stocks are down of course

I've been thinking carefully why I am slowly but steadily putting on weight and I think it is eating too much. I walk 5 miles a day with the school and nursery runs. Add another 1 or 2 if I take the dog out. Yeah much of that is dawdling kids' pace but I'm still working. It has to be down to my portion sizes and I know that I do fill my plate up and I don't like to leave food either.

I do snack and I'm terrible for helping myself secretly to the children's goodies. All that will go and no more baking just for the sake of it. I do intend to incorporate a few puddings into my meal plan to eat on soup nights but I will be aware and try not to let that ruin my work. Like I say, as low fat as possible ingredients wise.

That being said, after a brill morning and good lunch I have just eaten kiddie sweeties and a fun size crunchie. This is what I do. Great intentions but when that urge comes along - bam. scoff. fatty. The answer is no temptation so in the new year no treats, our treats will be fruit and to be fair we all love a decent bit of fruit!
Sometimes on the way to the dream, you get lost and find a better one.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to fuddle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
Molly41
Old 30-12-2011, 5:47 PM

It is surprising how much bits and pieces add up and I know that to my peril. My weight loss lapses seem to be around holidays or dates such as Halloween and Christmas when the temptation gets too great. A sure fire way for me to lose weight is to cut out the rubbish and in-between eating and just eat smaller portions of normal food. Of course exercise or general activity plays it part but I cant exercise as I am disabled. However when my energy levels and balance permit, I consciously make the effort to up my activity such as going upstairs more and walking out to the garage to get the washing etc.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Molly41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Molly41
Old 30-12-2011, 5:54 PM

My other tip is to practice Mindfulness when eating. Paul McK does a CD but it is also a concept you can develop yourself. I practice Mindfulness per se to help with my symptoms and the eating is an extension of this.

I make the effort to think very carefully about the foods I would like to eat or that my body craves such as oily fish when my B12 injection is due. I think about the textures, colours, tastes when eating the foods. I eat without distractions (at lunchtime when kids at school) and will savour the food. I dont count calories but eat what I need until I become comfortable so tune into my hunger levels. Keeping a diary can help.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Molly41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
Molly41
Old 30-12-2011, 6:01 PM

Just need to practice what I preach
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Molly41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>