Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ... (Page 39)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...
Closed Thread
Views: 304,636
# 761
Judi
Old 12-01-2012, 3:57 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Would he be willing to let it go if you could sell it? Either that or get him to shift it - a clock thats not working is soooo annoying!!
I did suggest it would look good in the shed but he growled at me
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Judi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 762
short_bird
Old 12-01-2012, 3:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudseyDB View Post
that's a big book!! What was it, and any good?
Under the Dome. Bought 30th December 2011, finished last night. If you liked The Stand, you'll probably like it! And it's on Kindle.

Basketcase: yeah, books the size of housebricks need to have a fast turnround, especially in our flat That reminds me, due to previous decluttering, it was really easy to find a space to hide some on 1st January when Him Indoors stopped drinking for 6 weeks. The only stuff not hidden is the Baileys (still in the fridge)which I need to crack on and finish. What a chore, eh?
Theyre screwdrivers! What are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to short_bird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 763
catslovelycats
Old 12-01-2012, 4:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Pudsey and Hattifattener, have just caught up with the posts and my heart goes out to you both. I don't think it's something anyone can ever come to terms with - and you shouldn't feel like you have to. It's a huge loss. I agree with what someone else has said, though, about this being an opportunity to look to the future - even if you don't always feel up to it.

Pudsey: Could you not leave that part of the decluttering for a time when you are more up for it? And then maybe put some special time aside to enable you to do it and allow the emotions that it will bring out? I guess it's not the kind of thing the OH would like to do with you...
MFW2014 #80(T2000):652.26 6Apr
100K MTG CLUB#27:130KFEB10 105972.90DEC13 (181 repays JAN14) 104347.28 6Apr
VSP#23:70.72 6aPR
12Kin2014 #109(T1500): 575 6Apr
DECLUTTER x bin bags: JAN 3
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to catslovelycats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 764
catslovelycats
Old 12-01-2012, 4:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Zapper

OK. I don't get it. Several people have mentioned Zapper, but I've put loads of books in and it has rejected about a third of them. I have 25 books they have accepted for a paltry 11.14!!! Is this just bad luck or the norm?

Some of the books I'm trying to sell through Amazon instead - one I listed on Zapper and Amazon sold it overnight for a lot more than the 30p Zapper were offering.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to catslovelycats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 765
dinx1972
Old 12-01-2012, 4:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Another day of not much, but as they say every little helps, so

8. Kids waistcoat donated to school class 4 for Victorian dressing up.
9. HUGE bag of clothes collected by BHF from doorstep (must have been at least 20+ things in it but counted as 1 as I like a challenge).
10. Tea towel and bag of wet towels returned to work.

Really must get myself organised and start listing on ebay again, this stuff is not going to walk itself out, and I really really hate binning perfectly good things, however on the other side of the coin really really detest the grabby grabby nature of our local freecycle!
2012 compaims:- Gold-Win 1)Holiday, 2)Lappie, 3)iphone -
Silver-Win 20 prizes in 2012- 20/20.
Bronze-Win 2012 in 2012 - 3901.98
DEBT FREE FROM 01/01/11
Declutter 2012 - 191, 2013 - 26
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dinx1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 766
shebangs
Old 12-01-2012, 4:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Last edited by shebangs; 11-04-2012 at 9:11 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shebangs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 767
vasseur
Old 12-01-2012, 4:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH27 View Post
My tip for the kitchen & bathroom is to wipe them over every day before bed.
It only takes a few minutes & that way everything is put away & clean for when you get up in the morning.

I never go upstairs empty handed. There is always something to take up & put away.

I'd rather iron every day for 20 mins that do it once a week.
I do this too. I think it helps psycholigically too. This is what works for me:-

I never leave the house with the beds unmade (it takes just a minute to neaten the duvets covers).

The bathroom and kitchen are always tidy when we go to bed. Makes it far easier to clean too.

If you have lots of ironing make sure it's in one pile, not scattered all round the house.

Tackle one cluttered up space at a time and be ruthless.

I think a lot of it is habit. Once you've got yourself into a routine it will just become the norm and you'll find it will gradually get easier as time goes on.

Good luck. You have a lot on your plate but things do get easier as the children get older - honest
It's not how far you fall - it's how high you bounce back....
Happiness is not a destination - it's a journey

DEBT FREE AS OF 23/11/2012
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vasseur For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 768
Byatt
Old 12-01-2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslovelycats View Post
OK. I don't get it. Several people have mentioned Zapper, but I've put loads of books in and it has rejected about a third of them. I have 25 books they have accepted for a paltry 11.14!!! Is this just bad luck or the norm?

Some of the books I'm trying to sell through Amazon instead - one I listed on Zapper and Amazon sold it overnight for a lot more than the 30p Zapper were offering.
I will only get about 12 for 19 items, mostly books but some cd/dvd's. A few books I couldn't sell at car boot and not worth putting on Amazon as they only go for a 1p, and when you take off postage and fees there's not a lot if anything left. Sold a big book on Amazon for 12 but because of weight I only made 2 if that.

Zapper seem to like text books. Having said I will only get 12, it's 12 more than I expected to get. I have about 10 books that no-one wants!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Byatt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 769
Flora Poste
Old 12-01-2012, 5:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I'd skip some of the home cooking at least til you get back on your feet. Cooking everything from scratch and baking your own bread and cakes as lovely and I mostly do but it takes time and makes mess which will add to your clutter. Batch cook big pots of stew and casseroles with loads of veg and leave it at that for now. You have a lot more on your plate than most of us so do what you can and don't beat yourself up about the rest.
"A savoury muffin?? As if life wasn't disappointing enough!" Miranda
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flora Poste For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 770
Possession
Old 12-01-2012, 5:14 PM

Pudsey and Hatti, my heart goes out to you. I lost a baby at 16 weeks and goodness knows that was bad enough. (((Hugs))) to you both.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Possession For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 771
jess1011
Old 12-01-2012, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It's awful reading what some of you gave been through, really makes you count your blessings. Massive hugs to you xxx

Ditch 100 in January
So far today today -

1 pair jeans - cs
1 cardigan - cs
2 jumpers - cs
5 tops - cs
1 dress - cs
1 filing box - mom and dad

Still going today so hopefully a few more things will be added to my list later

69/100
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jess1011 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 772
greengoblin
Old 12-01-2012, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslovelycats View Post

I wonder if it depends if they are mass market? Like when you put dvds on music magpie and if they're big block busters they're only worth about 30p. And maybe how new they are?
I think Zapper is useful if you're immensely impatient like I am - You've decided it's got to go and it's got to go NOW (or relatively soon) and can't be doing with listing it on Amazon/E-bay. Money being a bit of a bonus haha.
I did find it a bit odd that they took some of mine but not others although they were all on similar topics (history/natural history). They're offers for dvds was less than I got on Music magpie but I'd rather it all went in one box and it's all money!

edit: best bit of my zapper order was one book was worth 10 and it only cost me 12 new! Wouldn't have got 10 at a car boot for it!
All that is gold does not glitter
All those who wander are not lost

Recycle ALL the things!

Last edited by greengoblin; 12-01-2012 at 5:27 PM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to greengoblin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 773
mummysaver38
Old 12-01-2012, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattifattener View Post
Pudsey, so so sorry to hear of your loss. My youngest boy died shortly after birth last year, it really is the worst, isn't it? I hope it's not too painful for you sorting through all the baby things. He sounds like a well loved, and lovely, little boy x x x
Sending hugs to you both, as I don't have the right words and can't begin to imagine what you both went through.
Their=belonging to them, There=over there
Your=belonging to you, You're=short for you are
The Grammar Fairy
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to mummysaver38 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 774
PudseyDB
Old 12-01-2012, 6:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_bird View Post
Under the Dome. Bought 30th December 2011, finished last night. If you liked The Stand, you'll probably like it! And it's on Kindle.
BLIMEY you read that quick!!!! I got a kindle for xmas and its great!! My eyesight is definately not as good as it was, so I love that I can make the text bigger to read easily while travelling.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PudseyDB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 775
YORKSHIRELASS
Old 12-01-2012, 6:24 PM

Hi and welcome!

I think most people with little ones like yours struggle to keep on top of things - and with a poorly OH as well you have definitely got your hands full.

Some advice I would chip in with is:

You cant be wonder woman. I am my own worst enemy for wanting a perfect home life but you have got to take shortcuts sometimes. Would you be prepared to compromise on the home baking sometimes to give you a bit more time? Would you be prepared to stick the eldest in front of the telly sometimes while the youngest had a nap giving you an hour or so free? Think about ways you can free up small chunks of time, even if it means letting standards go a little bit.

Have a plan. Make lists of jobs and tick them off. If you have 30 minutes set yourself a challenge to see what you can complete in that time. Tackle small jobs and aim to finish them completely rather than butterflying from one job to another. (I am inclined to do this a lot!). Keep a diary or a notebook and write down things you have achieved to encourage you to keep going as well as reminding you when jobs were done.

Choose one room in the house and work towards keeping this room looking really nice so that when the little ones are in bed you can shut the door and escape.

Think about how much stuff you have and work towards getting rid of some of it if you have too much clutter. The less stuff you have the less untidy the house becomes and the easier it is to clean. I know how much stuff little people need but try and be ruthless. I have massively downsized the amount of clothes my kids have for example which has reduced washing and ironing as well as making more space in their cupboards.

Dont be too proud to ask for help if there is anyone you trust who would pitch in. If you were my friend I would be more than happy to come round and help you declutter or just look after the kids so you could go out for an hour.

Good luck. It will get easier as the kids get older. There is loads of good advice on here, and as Frugal says, get yourself round to the Messy thread. You will find you are not on your own!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YORKSHIRELASS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 776
furball
Old 12-01-2012, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think you are making the same mistake that a lot of us do and i definately did, that's looking at the big picture DON'T. As they say on here it took months/years to get like this so why think it can be sorted in days/weeks/months. One step at a time. Just keep up with the one step you have done and it will get better. My tips, i don't iron, i just fold or hang up, my wardrobes are packed so things need ironing when they come out even if they have been ironed before they went in there. DECLUTTER yep i shouted that for a reason, be ruthless, if u haven't used or worn it in a year then you aren't going to (apart from sentimental things) so get rid, give it away or charity shop it, or ebay it . This goes for drawers or cupboards or clothes. Get bills sent by email and bin junk mail the minute it comes through the door. Sort out cups without lids and bin them also all baby stuff thats too little, if its in a washing mountain bin it, or if clean charity it. One of the best rules was don't put it down put it away, that helps.
Can a friend take your 2 to mums and toddlers one week and you take hers the week after. Parents/family/friends babysitting just one afternoon or morning so you feel you have got some you time. Oops sorry for rambling.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. Hilary Cooper
Flylady and proud of it
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to furball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 777
monnagran
Old 12-01-2012, 6:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I can only repeat what everyone else has said. Wipe round kitchen and bathroom before you go to bed. Make beds as soon as poss after you get out of them. Clean in 15 minute bursts, (I use my trusty kitchen timer), and DON'T STRESS. My only other tip is boxes and baskets. Have them in every room and toss things into them that are waiting to be dealt with, toys, clothes, papers and magazines, cleaning stuff, mail, etc. This keeps a room fairly tidy looking and then it is a matter of seconds to flick a feather duster round or a damp cloth if appropriate, plump up cushions and vac round the middle of the room, voila! housework done.
Just remember, good enough is GOOD ENOUGH.
Enjoy your children, they will remember the fun you had with them, not your shiny floors.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monnagran For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 778
catslovelycats
Old 12-01-2012, 6:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks Greengoblin and Byatt. I've managed to find 30 books/DVDs that Zapper will accept and will get 16.20 if they accept everything ....
Have arranged for a courier to collect them Tuesday. Fingers crossed. I've never used Zapper before. It seems really convenient...

As you said Green, impatience! And maybe less greed on my part!! There is only so much clutter I can keep in the house for this mega car boot sale I'll do in the spring. And only so many books I can list on Amazon. Some of the infamous 1p books are going to the CS at the weekend I think.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to catslovelycats For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 779
365days
Old 12-01-2012, 7:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

26. One A4 folder which contained my portfolio for college to my tutpr for final assessment. Now that's out of the way I can get back on the mission. No work or college tomorrow so hope to get a fair bit done.
Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to 365days For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 780
Possession
Old 12-01-2012, 7:24 PM

Ditch 100 in January challenge
34/100
29. King size mattress gone on Freecycle
30. King Size topper gone on freecycle (they're big, I'm definitely counting them separately, LOL!)
31. 3 books given to school
32. 27 more CDs for Music Magpie
33. Big bag of rubbish and tat picked up from around the house (where does it come from?!)
34. Old playdough which had gone hard, in bin
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Possession For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread