Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ... (Page 286)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...
Closed Thread
Views: 304,641
# 5701
Becky 2
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning all,

Thanks for your well wishes, I am feeling a bit better today having slept for another 12 hours.

I am taking part in another challenge on MSE called "no buying unnecessary toiletries" where quite a few people are sending off their unwanted toiletries and other items suitable for girls from 0 to 16 or boys 0 to 8 to Give and Makeup. I think this is a great idea if you have items that you don't want but don't want to throw away. I am sending my shoe box off soon.

Here is the website for further details http://www.giveandmakeup.com/
No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting 1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = 261. Pot 5=23
Boots points:24.10. Extra money in 2012:674.59 and in 2013 603.48. Total extra money in 2014: 85.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Becky 2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5702
ThriftyMummy
Old 04-12-2012, 10:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Question 2013 Will be my year of decluttering

It has to be! I am almost drowning in children's toys. Any ideas on best place to sell? Car boot sales always very disappointing! Ebay always involves long post office queues. Is Gumtree the way forward? Any other ideas?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThriftyMummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5703
mineallmine
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lilyplonk. I have a rest to look forward to after the 15th (this challenge finishes). Doing flylady is really helping now. Although I won't be able to flylady two of the worst areas. But hey they will be in time.

Flylady in the kitchen today. I have surfaces now. I didn't know that I did! And a floor.

51. 52. Packaging
53. Tray (CS)
54. Recycling (loads of bottles and jars knocking around)
55. Cake decoration

Feeling quite tired so definitely need to take a rest. I'm trying to build my strength up and sometimes it's not til your too tired that you realise it. Baby steps and all that.
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5704
Becky 2
Old 04-12-2012, 2:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineallmine View Post
Feeling quite tired so definitely need to take a rest. I'm trying to build my strength up and sometimes it's not til your too tired that you realise it. Baby steps and all that.
Mineallmine, hope you are feeling less tired soon. When I am feeling like that I tend not to do any decluttering since I am not getting much done anyway. Or if do, it will be a small task with baby steps as you say.
No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting 1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = 261. Pot 5=23
Boots points:24.10. Extra money in 2012:674.59 and in 2013 603.48. Total extra money in 2014: 85.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Becky 2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5705
Lilyplonk
Old 04-12-2012, 4:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi ladies - has anybody on this thread any experience of selling via Gumtree? I've just listed an item that's way too good to throw out/freecycle/charity shop, but I've never used it before.

Just wondering now if it was such a good idea .

I've never sold anything via Ebay/Amazon because I've never fancied with messing around with postage and/or paypal etc.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lilyplonk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5706
mineallmine
Old 04-12-2012, 5:39 PM

Thanks Becky2. Anything else I do today will be things like sorting through a bag sitting down

Lilyplonk yes it's a good idea to pass on the foundation. I tried that one (an Avon one) and the rep had clearly opened it as there was splodges on the tube before I'd used it. So I was a bit peeved about that. And then when I did use it I didn't get on with it. So why keep it??!! If a friend doesn't want it, CSs accept them as a tube is hygienic

Well my CS efforts paid off today. I managed to pick up a sewing machine today for 20 which Argos sells for over 100! Very pleased. It has none of the accessories so I'm working my way through to work out whats missing. Karma is paying me back at long last
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5707
silentsister
Old 04-12-2012, 8:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Another 6 jobs finished - bins are fuller - and other things added to the list. Two tasks in the morning will mean more out of the house. Also 2 decisions made about issues I'd been dithering on. One thing will be going. One thing coming in, but it will improve storage of items that need to stay.

Have a peaceful evening.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to silentsister For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5708
loopychriss
Old 04-12-2012, 9:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyplonk View Post
Hey, loopychriss, looking after the next generation is the best reason on earth for NOT getting on with housework - and well done on chucking out those two pens - why do we continue to just put them back in with all the others when we KNOW that they don't work .
Thank you Lily, I hadn't thought of it like that. I suppose I try to be superwoman by trying to look after her and do everything else as well. I managed it when my 2 were that age, so why not now? Then I realised: I was 30 years younger then!!! As for the pens - I think they had been put back in the drawer previously when they didn't work, it was easier than taking them out to the garage to put in the bin!

Quote:
Flylady in the kitchen today. I have surfaces now. I didn't know that I did! And a floor.
Yes, you need to take it a step at a time, otherwise it gets too overwhelming. And Congratulations on finding the surfaces and floor!

Quote:
Well my CS efforts paid off today. I managed to pick up a sewing machine today for 20 which Argos sells for over 100! Very pleased. It has none of the accessories so I'm working my way through to work out whats missing. Karma is paying me back at long last
That was a bargain find mineallmine: hope you find the accessories soon and can get cracking on the sewing. (Best save it till after the decluttering though as I find I get distracted by the sewing and ignore the decluttering!)

Done a little bit of tidying today, but what I really need to do is tackle the 'To Do' list. If I get all the jobs done that are on my list, then the stuff that's lying around will naturally be disposed of/put in new homes tidily. It's just getting around to it....

Today's:

9 & 10 Two indoor plants that wilted and died. Don't know why I persist in trying to keep them, they always die on me. Compost bin.
11. Balloons from the quiz night that have deflated - bin
12. Hat that is now too small for my grandson - charity bag
13. Remains of a bag of mini poppadums from Saturday night: put on eaten on way to birdtable

Jobs achieved today:

6 Christmas cards written and posted
Piece of hardboard put in fireplace to stop the draught from the open chimney
Hob top cleaned
Kitchen floor hoovered

Plus every time I go into the bathroom I give a bit of the shower stall a clean. It's been neglected for a couple of weeks and is beginning to get grubby again, so I'm tackling it one bit at a time. As you say, baby steps.

So.... better stop rambling now and get on with some more jobs on my list! Or not.....
Keep Calm and Carry On Decluttering

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. #42 - loopy loyalty list lover

Sealed Pot Member No.173
Stash Busting Challenge - 428/500
August Abolition - 0/100
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to loopychriss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5709
Lilyplonk
Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Evening all

Hope your children had a good playdate, happytails and that you managed to get your 'planning' done on the return journey .

That's a great idea about toiletries, Becky2. We've got a Residential Unit for Homeless Families close to where I live - I could do something similar for there. Most people send toys for the children - I'm sure the mums and teens would appreciate toiletries. for that tip.

Good Luck with selling the unwanted children's toys, ThriftyMummy - I've latched onto your idea about Gumtree to try to sell an unused Tefal Steamer. Fingers crossed. Do you know of anywhere that mums can exchange toys that are no longer used - Mother & Toddler Club for instance .

Make sure you don't do too much, mineallmine - you won't be any use to the family OR yourself if you overdo things. I copied your idea of doing something 'sitting down' earlier. I had lots of little 'addresses' ripped from letters/envelopes etc - so, while watching Jeremy Kyle, I grabbed a pair of nail scissors and snipped them into diagonal strips and threw the remains in the rubbish . Congrats on your CS find - what a bargain !

Well done on finishing a couple of tasks, silentsister - and storage coming in definitely has to count as 'a decluttering effort' .

Love the idea of doing the shower a bit at a time, loopychriss - I really should keep my steam cleaner upstairs, it would make jobs like that so much easier. Seeing as mine needs doing when we move out, I'm afraid I'm putting it off altogether at the moment . You're so right about thinking we can do all kinds where the 'littlies' are concerned - and always forgetting how much older we are now than we were back then. I'm same as you - it's 30+yrs since I was looking after my own youngest .

I've had a very productive afternoon - lots of sorting, chucking, recycling and kitchen items packed! Feels as though I can now see some progress in the kitchen at least .

More paper into the Recycling - mostly Training Courses/Manuals etc. Some confidential stuff put through the shredder. The folders/plastic pockets that it was all in have now gone into the Stationery Box and are all nice and tidy .

OH has finally bagged and removed some of his excess clothing and some books to his friend 'Mr Market Trader' - made 30 today ! He didn't come home till around 6.00 - so I think he went looking for my christmas prezzie while he was out .

I've been having a 'candle using up day' - curtains were pulled across at 3.30 because it was so dull, miserable, dark and cold. With the candles burning and the flame effect switched on, the place felt lovely and warm . Also melted a Vanilla Wax Tart (for the fourth time!), but it's still got lots of fragrance left in it.

Used up the remaining Pea & Ham Soup from the weekend. I paid 2.50 for a Ham Shank. It made a huge amount of 'Shank Stew' - with half the stock removed and the addition of onions, carrots, leeks, swede, potatoes, soup/broth mix. The remaining stock had dried peas, another leek and onions added to it for the Pea & Ham Soup. Reckon we've well had our money's worth out of that shank .

Had a fridge drawer clear out too. Pile of Salad stuff had to be thrown into the Food Waste Bin - I'd forgotten all about it when I came back home and it was past it's best. It's been too cold for salads . There's a couple of leeks, a couple of pounds of carrots, half a head of celery and half a swede left at the moment. Methinks I can see some Veg Soup getting made tomorrow morning .

Can't see much decluttering getting done tomorrow - I'm at the GP at midday for a BP check. Then I've got the Flat viewing at 2.00 - and while I'm up there, I can collect a Keyboard that I've Reserved Online from Argos for dgd2 - will be getting paid for via voucher that I've got, so money-saving in the process .

Now I need to go and do some 'freezer diving' to see what I can dig out for tomorrow's evening meal - think there's some Sweet Chilli Turkey Mince lurking in one of them - along with some Garlic Bread .

My heating has now 'gone off' and it's getting cold. Time for my Hot Chocolate and then head off to bed for a bit of a read. My pj's and fleecey dressing gown await - might just sleep in the dg tonight .

See you all bright and early in the morning - sleep well - night night - Lilyplonk xx

Last edited by Lilyplonk; 04-12-2012 at 10:29 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lilyplonk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5710
happytails
Old 05-12-2012, 9:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morning all!

Yesterday I got some sorting done in the kitchen but had a lot 'in' yesterday. I'm noting it down cause seeing it written is helping me

In

2 DVDs for Xmas presents
2 brandy glasses (husband)
My new phone case seeing as I shattered my phone and cost 70 to fix!
Tassimo machine (my Xmas present)
Tassimo discs (as above)
15kg sack of dog food
Coffee grinder (husband)

Nothing out yesterday but got a load of cardboard from above deliveries to recycle hoping to have more outs than ins today

Xx
Sarah, Mummy to Amber (5), Lucas (3.5) and Evelyn (19m).
Member No43 - % Challenge
Member No73 - 365 in 365 days Challenge
Member No32 - Crazy Clothes Challenge 347.41/500
GC JAN 358.31/400 GC FEB 341.55/400 MAR 557.70/400 APR 141.91/300
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to happytails For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5711
fitnessfreak74
Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyplonk View Post
Hi ladies - has anybody on this thread any experience of selling via Gumtree? I've just listed an item that's way too good to throw out/freecycle/charity shop, but I've never used it before.

Just wondering now if it was such a good idea .

I've never sold anything via Ebay/Amazon because I've never fancied with messing around with postage and/or paypal etc.
I listed about 5 items on gumtree earlier this year and one sold. it's good in that you don't pay to list or faff about with p&p but I do think it is a bit hit and miss. I may give it another go seeing as how my last ebay foray was so dismal.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fitnessfreak74 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5712
fitnessfreak74
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Morning all

Another impromptu decluttering session last night. I gave myself 15 minutes in the kitchen which is where I have decided to concentrate my efforts and did the dreaded mug cupboard. I put aside 7 mugs and 2 espresso cups and saucers for Freecycle and chucked out some seriously OOD ground coffee that was in a jar. The cupboard was rearranged and now has space

I have an unused tin of white paint which will be collected by a Freecycler tomorrow. I have a toolkit to list on there now I have a pink toolbag (with pink tools) from Tesco as it's a bag it is taking up much less space than the box.

I also managed to up my total of books to give away to 20! so am nearly halfway to my target of 50.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fitnessfreak74 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5713
mineallmine
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 AM

Morning all,

Decided to do some pampering/relaxing decluttering so sat down, read 2 magazines cover to cover (taking a photo on my phone of any website/article they list that looks interesting) and used up a sample of Decleor facial oil. Very nice stuff but won't be buying toiletries for a while

So that's 3 things gone with quite little effort!!

56. 57. Magazines (recycled)
58. Facial oil
59. Mouthwash travel size. I don't know why I bought it as I hardly use mouthwash. So used it up instead of moving it from travel bag to travel bag.
60. Packaging

Reading about your coffee machine happytails reminds me I've got a Krups/Nescafe one. I find the capsules a bit pricey so only have one every so often. I added hazelnut syrup to it the other day and I swear it was better than any coffee shop takeout

I haven't sewn for many years Loopychriss so it will probably be a festival of breaking needles! I was so chuffed as its something I've wanted to take up as a hobby but paying out 100 odd was a stretch too far if it was something I do once then never again.

Right a nice coffee and some flyladying and the declutter challenge.

# 5714
mineallmine
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Here's a great video on YouTube Lilyplonk about decluttering/preparing to move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkTQT0pOXS8
# 5715
museumworker
Old 05-12-2012, 1:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Busy is not the word - so tired I am wired and can't sleep!

Decluttering continues at its own pace. Have taken 2 bags of stuff to charity now from previous declutters. Obviously giving me good charity karma as today I found lots of lovely clothes in the size I need for DS - 9mths+ - and also 2 gorgeous white company lambswool cushions for 1 the pair! Have come home and put three cushions from sofa into charity bag to make up for it. They go much better now .

Have been through my fabric stash and paired it down a bit, still lots left but getting more realistic about what will make.

7-9. cushions to charity
10. fabric bits for recycling
11 + 12. clothes from fabric pile for charity.
13-15. large fabric curtains etc - will offer to a friend or give to charity.
16-19. Books - charity
21. Old diary - for shredding

The old diary was interesting. have been keeping it because it had numbers of people I had lost touch with, about 10 years ago. Decided to send some texts and heard back straight away, hoping to see them in January! Now I can get rid of the diary .
Mortgage 16/03/2011: 190K. 31/12/2011: 174,884.66. 15/03/2012: 171592.43. 01/12/2012: 158,522 01/01/2014: 150,900. 01/04/2014: 144,368.87.
2011 OPs 12K 2012 OPs 11.5k 2013 OPs 900 2014 OPs 11,927.87/15K
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to museumworker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5716
happytails
Old 05-12-2012, 3:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Afternoon.

All the cardboard from yesterdays deliveries in the tip now.
5 bin bags to the tip (2 full of old wallpaper, 3 general rubbish and tat.
Dropped off my auntie's Bday present today.
Sold a pair of maternity trousers to a friend today, 5 to me

Hoping to get to the post office to post 4 Ebay parcels later. I tried to call in at my nan's to drop her Bday and Xmas present off as its her birthday Friday, but she wasnt in!

All thats come in today is.....35 cakes 30 are for the monthly sling meet i co host, its the Xmas meet so ive provided cake and my friend has done a big pass the parcel for the kids!! These will be back out tomorrow! Also the TENS machine and sling i borrowed off a friend, they will be going with me And not planning on bringing anything else in!!

Kitchen sides are tidy, the paperwork has been moved to the lounge to be dealt with and all the pots washed. I sorted out all the stuff on top of the cupboards that made it look cluttered. It actually looks really nice Just some more bits in the kitchen that need dealing with, the breakfast bar etc and the stuff on the windowsill but thats for another day xx
Sarah, Mummy to Amber (5), Lucas (3.5) and Evelyn (19m).
Member No43 - % Challenge
Member No73 - 365 in 365 days Challenge
Member No32 - Crazy Clothes Challenge 347.41/500
GC JAN 358.31/400 GC FEB 341.55/400 MAR 557.70/400 APR 141.91/300
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to happytails For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5717
suzeesu2000
Old 05-12-2012, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am tired-er than a really tired person who has just been crowned Queen of the tired people!

Poor old hubby has been bedridden since Sunday so have been up and down stairs like a demented person! my knees think I hate them!! I threw the towel in and collapsed into bed at 10:30 last night, good job as hubby was ill through the night so was awake quite a bit.

Yesterday did a big clean up on the laundry front as had masses from hubby being much poorlier. All washed, dried and ironed

Today I have been cooking, made a huge load of stew for the freezer, got eight meals out of it so am chuffed with that. Kitchen all cleaned up too. Have found some fabric to make four new White tea-towels, just got to hem the edges. Shall try to do that tonight but will have to be by hand.

Tomorrow I shall be changing beds and hoovering, if my poor old knees will bear it.

Have thrown quite a bit of packaging away this week and have the RSPCA collecting on Friday so that will make a nice hole.

1 - big bag of card to recycling
2 - airer - c/s
3 - Big piece of fabric made into tea-towels

Well done everyone, keep it going
Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal.

2012/2013 decluttered 2475 items! junk in Jan '14 80/100 June junk'd 60 sacks out
Debt free: 9th December 2013
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to suzeesu2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5718
mineallmine
Old 05-12-2012, 7:20 PM

61. Unloved exfoliator. My skin came up in bumps after one use. Expensive mistake so it's off to a (friend)
62. Hair accessory
63. Recycling living in the kitchen, hanging around, annoying me.
64. Advertising gumpth through the post quickly scanned and binned.
65. Toiletry used up
66. Packaging

It's trickling along slowly but surely.

Keep decluttering
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5719
loopychriss
Old 05-12-2012, 9:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Here's a great video on YouTube Lilyplonk about decluttering/preparing to move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkTQT0pOXS8
Thanks for that - we've got our house up for sale so hopefully will be doing this in the near future.

Got loads of jobs ticked off 'the List' today.... not much decluttered, mostly stuff that was lying around waiting for something else to happen to them.

14. Collecting tin opened, money counted and bagged up, tin in recycling
15. Cup cake taken to daughter's. Her boyfriend bought it for her Saturday night at the quiz night, but I somehow got to take it home. It's been sitting in the kitchen ever since. It's rock hard now, but at least it's gone back to its rightful owner!
16. 6 blank cards made up into thank you cards

Jobs achieved:

Collecting tin counted, money bagged and receipt done
Thank you cards made: one written, receipt done and delivered tonight
2 posters printed out and laminated
Sheet of photos for thank you cards printed and cut out
Labels for back of cards printed out and cut out ready
Curtain for door between garage and breakfast room finally hung up. Curtain had been lying on shelf in BR for about 5 weeks, and the hooks to hang it with about 3 weeks. Now curtain is up and hooks put away (and the room is much warmer!)
Paid my visa card online
Worked on a picture I'm giving as a Secret Santa at my quilt group

Gradually working through the To Do list.... as I do things are naturally being used up or put away where they should be, so although I'm not chucking stuff out the place is looking tidier.

Hope to achieve a couple more jobs tomorrow.... I'm going to have to tackle the Christmas cards soon!
Keep Calm and Carry On Decluttering

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. #42 - loopy loyalty list lover

Sealed Pot Member No.173
Stash Busting Challenge - 428/500
August Abolition - 0/100
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to loopychriss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5720
museumworker
Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

suzeesu - I haven't had a proper nights sleep in at least 5 months, so can I borrow the tired crown for a bit please !

happytails - interested in your sling meet. I carried DS a lot when he was tiny as he had such bad wind and was really unsettled. Used a wrap sling. However he is now ENORMOUS - probably about 19lb - and quite heavy to carry. What would you recommend? OH has a manduca but not tried it on me yet as looks a bit complicated to do up.

Rubbish day but friend came over and cooked me tea so that cheered me up no end.

22-25. Boxes of old Xmas cards I'll never reuse - friend
26. Set of 7 vintage side plates - friend
27-30. More books for charity shop.
31. Empty box - recycling.
32. Paper tut - recycling

Stuck my head in office of doom, and had a 10 minute session. Went under the loft and got out toys had been given 2 years ago by sis. Have massive box full of duplo things now for DS to play with (maybe 50 pieces?) and some other toys, made my day .

To make my morning less stressful have laid out the breakfast things. Night all.
Mortgage 16/03/2011: 190K. 31/12/2011: 174,884.66. 15/03/2012: 171592.43. 01/12/2012: 158,522 01/01/2014: 150,900. 01/04/2014: 144,368.87.
2011 OPs 12K 2012 OPs 11.5k 2013 OPs 900 2014 OPs 11,927.87/15K
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to museumworker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread