Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ... (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...
Closed Thread
Views: 305,395
# 21
Aarons mummy
Old 29-12-2011, 8:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit40iwtwan View Post
YUP - count me in - my problem is paperwork... I seem to have several files and folders of stuff and receipts which I am sure I no longer need! I dont even want to go under the stairs or attempt the junk in my son's bedroom... but as we want to buy our own house this year I have told everyone we wont be moving junk. Does anyone have any suggestions around where to start? Do you start with worst mess or the least mess... I'm leaning towards quick success so thinking least as then I will be encouraged to move to the next room! thoughts?
Why not start by making it fun? If you mull it over you will find you never start. Is there a particular CD you like? TV programme you want to watch? Somewhere you need to be? Set yourself a goal to fit in with your life. I.e. 3 tracks of the CD to clear as much as you can, 15 minutes de-cluttering for a half hour programme. That sort of thing. It doesn't matter where you start but I always think that if you imagine someone is coming round and clear everything of surfaces, even just organising things into relevant boxes to be sifted through as you watch TV or whatever at night.

I think as soon as you see a little difference you will want to continue and you can build up the time and rewards you receive for doing so. Seems crazy but it works
Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011
Store Card: £100 October 2011
Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100
No Buying Toiletries 2012
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Aarons mummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
beemuzed
Old 29-12-2011, 9:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Oh well... as in previous years my house remains cluttered, but my intentions are good! This year I really will make progress, I promise! But, where to start?? Think I'm just going to pick a cupboard or a drawer at random and see where that gets me. Like Hester, I now have loads of books on my Kindle..but not sure I can make myself part with the real things! In he morning I'm going to tackle my bedside table drawers. Will let you know how I get on!
Resolution:
Think twice before spending anything!
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to beemuzed For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
aliwali
Old 29-12-2011, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, never managed to keep up with this thread before, but I feel inspired at the moment so will try. There is definately clutter in each room so I think I will do the one roon at a time technique. Going to start 2nd January as we are out New Years Day. I'll keep checking back for inspiration.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to aliwali For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Rummer
Old 29-12-2011, 10:07 PM

I want to declutter my OH and all of his things

Over the last year I have been steadily decluttering and although I am still messy my bedroom no longer looks like that of a teenager . He unfortunately leaves mess everywhere and as a collector of things constantly leaves his things all round the house.

Today I did give a pressure washer that I had cluttering my dining room back to my dad and:

I WILL GO TO THE DUMP TOMORROW

As I have a mountain of xmas packaging filling my hall
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Rummer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
Sue14
Old 29-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoots View Post
No-one gets sentimental about old electric bills ;o)
Do they not? Must just be me then, lol! I still have my first gas and leccy bills from my first home (from early 1984), the leccy bill was only just over £12, wish they were that cheap now, lol! Mind you, before I started clearing out old paperwork I had all my bills after those too, lol!

I'm definitely in for another year, the house is a lot better than it was before I started de-cluttering but still a lot to get rid of, and as soon as the warm weather comes I will be sorting out the sheds, as I only partly sorted two this year and didn't even attempt the other (worst) one!

This evening OH and I decluttered the remains of the tin of roses chocs, if that counts!
OS weight loss challenge 1/5
Total weight loss 52 pounds

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Sue14 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
tiny_courageous
Old 29-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I definitely need to sign up this year (again!)
Currently have 4 tesco bags of stuff in the car boot to go to the charity shop. Need to empty the spare room as have friend coming over. I made a start, but then realised that most of the stuff there is OH's. Things like tools (he hasn't done any DIY or car maintenance in forever) or work things that he could store in his locker at work. I've given him a task tomorrow of sorting it all out but I know that when I get home it'll all be in a neat pile in the corner of the room, and when I say "what's for the bin/charity shop" I'll be told it's all essential and useful!
Apart from that there are random plates and china sets his family keep buying for us from charity shops. We have tons of plates and china so I don't know why they buy it. I guess we'll have to find a nice way of regifting it or something.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to tiny_courageous For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
pixie1
Old 29-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Count me in! We have to move out of our rental by the end of feb so we are hopefully going to buy our first home in Oz since moving here 2.5 years ago. Im refusing to move all this junk. We have boxes of things that we shipped out here that are still not unpacked, we have boxes that lived in our loft for the last 7 years we were in the uk after we moved house again that are still not packed. When we did make the move here i did throw a lot ofstuff away or take it to the charity shop but i seem to have aquired a lot more 'stuff' since.

I did clear out my wardrobe earlier in the year which took a full day and three trips to the charity shop but the rest of the house looks like a bigger job, esp the home office which is over flowing with paperwork.

Good luck everyone, i will keep you posted with my progress

Pix
Debt Free At Last!
September 2012 Challenges
GC $275/$500
NSD 0/10
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to pixie1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
honeybun16
Old 29-12-2011, 11:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

can i join the party guys, trying so hard to focus on getting our lives sorted including the massive stuff box which we call home.
2 adults 4 children Eldest 14 yrs old youngest 1yr old,
Total Credit July £38K Aug £37K Sept £37K Oct £33K Nov £26K Dec £60K May £56K Nov £52K Apr £21K
What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to honeybun16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
cat04
Old 30-12-2011, 12:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can I join in too? I did try hard on the 2011 declutter thread but, as I'm reading this thread obviously not hard enough lol. I didn't get everything done before Christmas Day, but in the end it didn't matter. We had a great day today, sorted out loads in the conservatory (aka dumping ground), plenty to the recycling bin and other bits tided away and sorted. Even OH got loads done too! We both found paperwork that could be shreaded and we decluttered the mug and glass cupboard too, so a very good start and it's not even 2012 yet!

This is THE year for getting ourselves sorted - DD2 will now be doing 3 full days at Nursery rather than half days which means I have lots of time to get this place (and myself!) decluttered
Mummy to two little darlings(!) DD1 (9) and DD2 (6)

Married on 2nd August 2014
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to cat04 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
LolaLemon
Old 30-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I sit here typing when I should have done the dishes - no excuse not too, I cleared a space to get to the sink!
I started a big clear out in September, parents done many trips to the local dump. We had sorted my sons room, made a start on my room, cleared the kitchen and most of the living room. I sold 13 bags of clothes to cash 4 clothes cause my camera is broke and my mobile wasn't working so I couldn't upload to any of the selling sites.

Fast forward 3 short months and my heating has bust, I can't get anyone in to fix it cause my house is such a mess (+ I'm skint, but I would get help from family)

Really want to sort my head out, which in turn would help with the depression, but to do that I need to clear the house, as it is all related (in my head anyways lol)

Major factors spurring me on just now, I want to invite my sons friends over for play dates, I'd like him to be able to play with his toys and not have them magically dissapear as soon as they come through the door.
I would like to invite my boyfriend over to stay, previous to September he would come round, watch TV, have dinner when son was in bed, but never stay over, I haven't invited him round since then. We are talking of moving in together, yet I haven't had him sleep over (son and I have stayed at his - alot since heating bust)

Soo here I am, finally ready to get my self sorted, I don't expect quick results, as I know its taken me years to be like this, so a few months for each new 'trick to become normal :-)

Good luck everyone :-)
Living Simply, not simply living.
Cheap Christmas '14

Frugal Living for fourth year running.

1 year to 9st - week 6 - 8lb/55lb
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to LolaLemon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
Florenceem
Old 30-12-2011, 1:10 AM

Default 2012 declutter.

Is there a place to sign up?
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Florenceem For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Kimsmum
Old 30-12-2011, 4:47 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would love to join.
I started last night a put five things on ebay, well thats a start.
Today I am going to go through the paperwork in the spare room and shred what I dont need and put the rest in a folder.
Taking it one day at a time
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Kimsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
Hardup Hester
Old 30-12-2011, 4:51 AM

Charlies_mum, I didn't think I'd ever get rid of books, but it seems silly to have shelves full of them when neither hubby or I can see to read them anymore.
Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Hardup Hester For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
pavlovs_dog
Old 30-12-2011, 7:49 AM

this is one of my 2012 missions too, to dejunk and organise. As I work full time, I'm going to tackle one room a month. I figure even if I can only do 15 minutes here and there a month is plenty of time to bring a room out of chaos. By the end of the year the house should look much better.

So I've started with the study. I've found most of the floor and once I clear a big pile of marking and take it back to school I should find a bit more. Have written a list, which is broken down into lots of little decluttering jobs followed by deep clean instructions.

If will be spotless by February!
know thyself

MFW 2014 # 46 - £2000/£2,000 (100%)
MFiT T3 #29 £106k by 2015

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to pavlovs_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
pavlovs_dog
Old 30-12-2011, 7:52 AM

something I found on Pinterest which may be of interest to some of you is a decluttering calendar, see http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2011.htm it's for 2011 rather than 2012 but the principle is the same.
know thyself

MFW 2014 # 46 - £2000/£2,000 (100%)
MFiT T3 #29 £106k by 2015

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to pavlovs_dog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
VJsmum
Old 30-12-2011, 8:13 AM

I should like to join in too, if i may?

I am heartily sick of the junk in our house. We used to move house every 5 years or so, due to my OH's work, and could have a declutter as part of that process. However, we have been in this one 13 years and are likely to be there for at least another 6, until the youngest leaves school. My OH is a bit of a hoarder, and there is stuff I don't want to get rid of. DS is moving from child to teenager and so there is much in his room he has outgrown. DD finds it hard to get rid of stuff.

We are going to start in the study - full of old college notes for me and him, CD's by the hundreds, many of which have not been played for years and just general carp.

I am going to ebay and music magpie some stuff to save for a winter holiday next year.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to VJsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
Cheapskate
Old 30-12-2011, 8:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: In my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here!

I NEED to join in, too, please! Our house is really bad, to the point where I can't find important documents I need - we have them somewhere, but.....!

I managed to get rid of 3 bin bags of stuff to the tip before Christmas, and DH has taken half a bootful of stuff to drop off today. Something that helps me is aiming for one little job every day - if I do more that's a bonus - or doing one cupboard or drawer per day...AND KEEPING IT TIDY!!

I reckon we could dispose of around 70% of everything we have and still have enough clothes, toys and other possessions - they'd just have proper homes.

Looking forward to lots of motivation!

A xo
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett (Moving Pictures)

CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Cheapskate For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
coldcazzie
Old 30-12-2011, 9:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd like to join I actually started at the beginning of December. 2 car loads went to the tip from our attic so we could have loft insulation put in. We sorted 3 boxes of stuff which has sat in there for a year since we moved into this house, and I organised the girl clothes that DD1 has outgrown that are waiting for DD2 to grow into. I donated a bunch (the stuff I couldn't eBay) to the local food bank, which passes out clothes to people who have nothing. I have a box of stuff and a bag of clothes which I've photographed to go on eBay at the next free listing weekend opportunity. Last night I got ruthless with our DVDs and traded them at TurnIntoCash, they'll get posted off asap. I also nagged the man-wife into eating a frog he's been putting off for the last 6 months - sorting out his jumpers and t-shirts. I now have a bag of stuff to go to a local shelter that operates during the winter to feed and clothe homeless folk, as well as another bag of kids clothes, and he has room in his drawers to fit all his clothes, instead of piling them up on top as well! Lol.

I'm feeling good. I went through a low patch between October and December. I got an email which basically told me I'm crap at what I do. Because of that I flunked an exam I needed to do well in (all my assignments were leading towards a grade 1 pass - 85%+ but my exam mark was about 50%). I had been advised not to take the email to heart, the lady concerned seems to think it's her responsibility to inform others of their faults as often as possible under the guise of offering to "help work on them". Basically she's a busybody. But that doesn't mean she wasn't wrong, and that reality check hurt. It'll probably do me good in the long run, but at the moment I'm still reeling from the repercussions. Anyway, decluttering has started me back on the road to feeling good again. I can see parts of my bedroom floor I haven't seen for months! Sorry about the ramble, I didn't intend that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaLemon View Post
Really want to sort my head out, which in turn would help with the depression, but to do that I need to clear the house, as it is all related (in my head anyways lol)
It is not that far fetched. I read a mag article once that "stuff" absorbs energy; the more "stuff" you have cluttering up your home, the more of your energy it saps from you and the more likely you are to procrastinate about things, feel down, etc etc. At first it seems a bizzare concept, but I can see where the author was coming from. Your house is cluttered, you feel down about it and lack the motivation to clear it, meaning it gets more cluttered... downwards spiral.... I'll see if I can find an online link

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlies_mum View Post
This is another problem. I love books and have hundreds, but don't want a Kindle. Think I would need to live to be about 200 to read them all
I have this problem too - so many books I have run out of space for them... one of my tasks this year is to put shelves up on the wall so that the books can go up and not be cluttering my bedroom floor. I'm sick of walking into that stupid bookcase! My hips hate me! Bruises everywhere!

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to coldcazzie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Kittikins
Old 30-12-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm in too! I'm moving house in January or February and DD (age 6) and I are going to a lovely, but smaller in some respects place.....i.e. a soon to be 2-bed bungalow rather than a 3-bed house. I have taken tons of stuff to the tip/charity shops but it still looks like I've not touched the place

I love stuff and like to think that I declutter well, but a good example is this: I broke my ankle very badly 13 years ago and since then haven't really been able to wear heels or nice shoes. However, I have still kept on buying them from time to time, lower heels etc, in the hope that on a good day I can wear them. Yes.....well, a good day, means I've been able to clatter around the house in them but never outside! I broke my same leg earlier this year and have now been told that I'm going to need to have my ankle fused in the next few years (yes, as gruesome as it sounds) which means instead of pretending I can wear heels, I will never be able to wear heels

So....guess how many pairs of heels I've managed to get rid of? 2. The rest have stayed so far as they're so pretty.....and I should try and wear them before I get the final nod that I'm having the big op, never mind the fact I'm on so much medication to stop me from feeling like my leg is disintegrating it's not true!!

Silly billy.

So, it starts today.....but I might see if there's some biscuits in the kitchen I can declutter first
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Kittikins For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
MessyMare
Old 30-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlovs_dog View Post
something I found on Pinterest which may be of interest to some of you is a decluttering calendar, see http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2011.htm it's for 2011 rather than 2012 but the principle is the same.
I just looked at that I don't think there's enough hours in the day for all the things I have to do each day, but it'd be lovely to be able to do those too!
June Overhauler - NSD 3/14 No Binge Day 5/20 Groceries £37.86/£160 Petrol £0/£90 Exercise Sessions 3/12
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to MessyMare For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread