Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyNow
    • By HappyNow 29th Dec 11, 10:29 AM
    • 1,238Posts
    • 5,485Thanks
    HappyNow
    Keeping up appearances.......
    • 29th Dec 11, 10:29 AM
    Keeping up appearances....... 29th Dec 11 at 10:29 AM
    Welcome to my debt-free diary. I am going to use it to monitor my progress as I start my (very) long journey towards debt freedom. I hope it will inspire me to stay motivated when the going gets tough. Because the going WILL get tough from time to time - I have an absolute marathan ahead of me.

Today I have totalled up all our debts..... Including our mortgage, the scary bottom line is £127,899.00!! If I deduct the mortgage, we are still left with the very frightening figure of £69,579.00 (give or take a few quid) unsecured debt. It will get a bit worse between now and payday (15th of each month) as we have very little money to live on and a few bills coming up.

So, why have I called my diary 'Keeping Up Appearances'? Well, on the face of things my husband and I are a lucky couple. Both working full-time and earning good money. We live in a lovely house (worth more than double our total debt), have two gorgeous children who are now grown-up and away at university, run two cars, own another house which we rent out etc etc. We seem to have it all. And I suppose we DO have it all - we just haven't actually paid for it yet!!

The worst thing? My husband doesn't have a clue how much we owe. I have taken sole charge of our money for years, and what a mess I have made of it! I have had personal problems, which are now resolved, but which made me lose touch with reality for a while. I'm not using that as an excuse, but it does partly explain what has happened.

My husband is one of the nicest, kindest men you could ever meet and he really does not deserve to be in this mess. He knows we are in debt and need to watch our spending, but he does not know the extent. And I intend to keep it that way. I will scrimp and scrape and save and earn and do whatever it takes to reduce and eventually clear our debt, but it will be done without him knowing. He is a worrier and not in the best of health, so I do not intend adding to his stress by telling him the extent of our money problems. Not that he would be angry or leave me or anything - he wouldn't - but he would be so worried and disappointed and it would break his heart.

He trusts me to take care of our finances, and for a long time that trust was misplaced. Well, now he finally CAN trust me and I will not let him (or myself) down any longer. Then, when the debt is less heart-attack-inducing, it will be something we can work on together.

So, I am going to crunch some figures and get some inspiration and I will be back.
Page 148
    • Dolphin1
    • By Dolphin1 29th Aug 16, 7:00 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Dolphin1
    HappyNow et al!

Update for Saturday & Sunday...

1) To have 20 NCDs - Chocolate eaten Saturday and none eaten Sunday so now on 15 NCDs for August.
    2) To walk an average of 10,000 steps per day over each week (so 70,000 total for each week) - Just over 8,000 on Saturday and just over 5,000 on Sunday. My total for last week was 60,122 so only an average of 8,588 per day.
    3) To put my light out by 11pm every night including weekends - Light out very late both nights.
    4) To lose 5lbs over the rest of the month - Final weigh-in due on the 1st September.
    • Dolphin1
    • By Dolphin1 30th Aug 16, 7:54 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Dolphin1
    HappyNow et al!

Update for yesterday...

1) To have 20 NCDs - None eaten so now on 16 NCDs for August .
    2) To walk an average of 10,000 steps per day over each week (so 70,000 total for each week) - Just over 6,000 steps.
    3) To put my light out by 11pm every night including weekends - Light out at 11.00pm .
    4) To lose 5lbs over the rest of the month - Final weigh-in due on the 1st September.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 30th Aug 16, 2:04 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,815 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Hello everyone
    Hope those who aren't able to post right now are all doing ok and just getting on with stuff.
    School uniforms all purchased, laundered to get rid of all that crispiness, and just waiting on the name labels I ordered (free) to arrive to finally get that job sorted. Whilst I was at the uniform place, three mothers had meltdowns because the shop had run out of the smaller sizes of jumpers and PE kits - and won't be getting any more until October. Fortunately DS2's jumper was in stock and we were in and out in five minutes - which sort of made up for the 20 minutes walk to and from the store.
    OH had surgery check up today and all is progressing well which is a relief as he appeared to have a couple of odd things happen at the weekend. All apparently 'normal' and 'part of the healing' which makes you wonder why they don't tell you these things could happen before you go home instead of giving a generic booklet with all the obvious things. At least it is normal and part of it I suppose - trying to be Pollyanna about it.
    No real progress made on the house stuff today, trying to spend some fun time with the boys before they go back to school next week. More important I feel.
    • Daisyrose
    • By Daisyrose 31st Aug 16, 5:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Daisyrose
    Starting our debt free journey and your thread has made me confident! Thank you! X
    • Dolphin1
    • By Dolphin1 31st Aug 16, 7:35 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Dolphin1
    Morning all!

Glad you got the uniforms sorted without too much trouble joeyjimbles. I agree fun time is more important than house stuff which can wait until the boys are back at school. Healing vibes for your OH.

Welcome Daisyrose!

Update for Saturday & Sunday...

1) To have 20 NCDs - Chocolate eaten again so still on 16 NCDs for August.
    2) To walk an average of 10,000 steps per day over each week (so 70,000 total for each week) - Just under 10,000.
    3) To put my light out by 11pm every night including weekends - Light out at 11.30pm.
    4) To lose 5lbs over the rest of the month - Final weigh-in due tomorrow.
    • Dolphin1
    • By Dolphin1 1st Sep 16, 7:45 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Dolphin1
    Morning all!

Final update for August...

1) To have 20 NCDs - None eaten so final total was 17 NCDs for August. I'm pretty happy with that even if I didn't make my target .
    2) To walk an average of 10,000 steps per day over each week (so 70,000 total for each week) - Just over 11,000 yesterday. Looking back over August, I had 2 weeks over 70,000 and 2 weeks just under 70,000 so overall I'm pretty happy with that too .
    3) To put my light out by 11pm every night including weekends - Light out at 11.30pm yesterday. Looking back over August, I think I could have done a lot better with this target so still an area to work on.
    4) To lose 5lbs over the rest of the month - I lost 2lbs in the final 10 days so I think that makes a loss of 3lbs overall for August. Oh well, I think I made Honey Bear's target and a loss is a loss .
    • jvr
    • By jvr 5th Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    jvr
    Hello all

Sorry I vanished I had a week off to redecorate the house (relayed laminate in hallway/kitchen/living room/dining room) and repainted living room with OH. love the result and managed to stick to budget but nearly buried OH under the patio! diet went out the window as was so tired and ate lots of KFC which also meant food budget went out the window.
    BUT...... passed my theory test!! first lesson Friday (first lesson since I stopped two years ago) feel very relieved and also stupid that I let the theory test become such a huge deal in my mind!

Anyway hope your all well and well done Dolphin!
    Credit cards: -5800 now -5570 aim to be debt free (ignoring mortgage and student loans) by July 2017
    • Dolphin1
    • By Dolphin1 6th Sep 16, 8:05 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Dolphin1
    Hi jvr, sounds like you have been very busy. Well done on passing your theory test !
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 38,288 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Hi Happy! I hope you're doing okay. Let us know if you get a moment, won't you, so that I can cross you off my list of people to worry about.
    Keeping it AF
    • Dolphin1
    • By Dolphin1 16th Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    Dolphin1
    Hi all, hope you are all well? Just a quick message to say that I am away on holiday from tomorrow for a week.

HappyNow, I hope that you resurface by the time I'm back .
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 16th Sep 16, 1:39 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,815 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Happy Holiday Dolphin - work, kids back to school and general life has meant I am chasing my tail. Hope all of you are ok - do hope you'll all come back soon
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 17th Sep 16, 6:47 AM
    • 7,636 Posts
    • 17,690 Thanks
    chevalier
    As the old codger in Are you being served said "you are all doing very well"!

Happy I hope things are OK with you.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • HappyNow
    • By HappyNow 22nd Sep 16, 10:25 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    HappyNow
    Hello

Apologies for the stupidly long absence. I've been struggling with all that 'real life' stuff. Bah. Some of it has been quite hard to live through, and re-living it via writing it down has been just a step too far. I won't bore/depress anyone with the details, but I did just want to skid past before Dolphin gets back from her jollies to reassure folks that I am alive and well, and just having a bit of a rest from debt busting. Well actually I AM still debt-busting (check out da sig!) but it's all happening in the background without much input from me. Magic.

The immediate Happy Clan are fine. Mr H is still self-employed and making just enough to keep us fed. Master H is enjoying his job and has just come back from holiday with his lovely girlfriend. Miss H is now working as a newly qualified teacher and is permanently exhausted but very satisfied.

It's the extended family & neighbour who are accidentally causing the worries, but none of it is their fault and it won't last forever .

Thank you to everyone who has posted while I've been absent and I will be back soon with a proper update.
    LBM Dec 2011. Aiming to clear ALL unsecured debt by Feb 2019 (70.03% so far)

Debt Dec 11: Unsecured £69,579 + Mortgage £59,948 = £129,527
    Debt Sep 16: Unsecured £20,849 + Mortgage £46,390 = £67,239 (48.08% paid)
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 23rd Sep 16, 8:37 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,815 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Lovely to see you posting and glad that the immediate family are safe and well. Other people can be a pain can't they? And its so often the things that shouldn't bother us that do. I keep being reminded of that phrase 'not my circus, not my monkeys' but all too often, other people let their monkeys go wandering and they interfere where they shouldn't be.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 23rd Sep 16, 9:41 AM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 38,288 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Those figures look wonderful, Happy, really wonderful. Congratulations on being a gnat's fart away from 50% which is now well within your grasp. I can remember you reaching 10% and that was a real achievement and look how far you've come since then! You always knew it would take a while so I hope you're pleased with what you've achieved so far. It's phenomenal, it really is.
    Keeping it AF
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 23rd Sep 16, 9:44 AM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 38,288 Thanks
    Honey Bear

Took me a while to round up the wildest ones but they're all here, rahrahing you on.
    Keeping it AF
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 23rd Sep 16, 10:18 AM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 6,815 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Lovely smileys Honey B and how are you?
    • jvr
    • By jvr 23rd Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    jvr
    Hi Happy nice to see you posting!
    Real life can by a pain sometimes!
    Hope your well Joey and Honey B?
    Thinking of starting my own diary but bit nervous
    Credit cards: -5800 now -5570 aim to be debt free (ignoring mortgage and student loans) by July 2017
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 25th Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 38,288 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Go for it, JVR! Let us know what it's called and I for one will be there lickety spit to cheer you on.

Everything's fine here but I've run out of time recently to do all of the things I should be doing. Just about keeping my head above water, though, and firing on all cylinders. Hope all is well with everyone else.
    Keeping it AF
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 27th Sep 16, 11:47 AM
    • 3,021 Posts
    • 13,539 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Hi all.
    I have read this entire thread from the start (not all in one sitting I must add) and I have found it thoroughly inspiring and more entertaining than the book I am currently struggling through. I have even read bits out to my BF, so much so that as soon as I load up the thread to catch up he asks "How are your internet friends doing?"
    I have laughed and I have cried, and I am so impressed with the way that whenever SHTF everyone just scoffs a mouthful of chocolate, hoicks up their trousers and gets on with life.

I would love to join in with your monthly target thingy, I have a few in mind for Outstanding October
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Sept Grocery Challenge £100.20/£150 Sept NSD's 14/14
    EF Challenger #36
    £84.41/£1868.82 Lose weight 2.8/10lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,880Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin